• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#81 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 05:52 PM

View PostKalistria, on Nov 8 2006, 03:17 AM, said:

I'm not doing to debate the merits of a death sentence since it's very clear here that the Americans, who continue to have the death penalty are for it and everyone else who resides elsewhere is against it

This American isn't for it.  I could see cases for "cruel and unusual punishment" though...  

But it's the Iraquis doing the convicting and if they have a legal death penalty (as opposed to the "blow up yourself and anybody else in the way, shoot up anybody you don't like" variety that is tearing up what's left of the country), more power to 'em.  I certainly doubt anybody will ride to his rescue because they oppose the death penalty...
Cats will never be extinct!

#82 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 05:57 PM

View PostSolar Wind, on Nov 9 2006, 10:41 PM, said:

but otherwise I think that the biggest reason why U.S. primary and secondary schoolchildren lag many of their foreign counterparts is that U.S. kids don't study as much as the kids in, say, South Korea and China do.

This is getting waaaaaay OT, but I heard a story today of a mom looking over her teenager's English essay and telling the teacher she would've given the kid an F because every other word was misspelled; the teacher said "oh, we don't grade on spelling any more, as long as it represents what the word sounds like."  

Pitiful, just pitiful.  I could go on.  But as I said, waaaaay off topic.
Cats will never be extinct!

#83 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 06:52 PM

^ Each state and school district has its own policies. I doubt that a policy as extreme as the one you describe is common for take-home work.

I remember writing take-home essays, reports, and papers before I got a computer with a word processor. The teacher would penalize misspellings so I'd use simpler words I was sure I knew how to spell. And even then, I spent a good deal of time looking up words in the dictionary and trying to track down the words I had misspelled. It really took away from the enjoyment of writing, and I've always been an above average speller.

Edited by Solar Wind, 09 November 2006 - 06:53 PM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Iraq, Saddam Hussein, Death Penalty, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users