OT Member Ogami Deployed Middle East 2006

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 10:57 PM

Mark: Our friend, Ogami, has been called up to Middle East, and leaves after Thanksgiving. I'm wondering if this isn't a plot by the Dems to keep him busy, and off the computer.  :Oo:
At any rate, I'm pretty sure he wanted all you people in OT to know about it. Let's wish him the best of luck and safety in his deployment, which he expects to last for about a year.
Evil Dems...put them in charge, and the first thing they do is get rid of the opinionated Repubs.  :sarcasm:  ;)

Woe be it to the insurgency now that Ogami will be on the job! Kick some butt, and take some names, Ogami!  :tyr:

Edited by Mark, 09 November 2006 - 02:34 PM.

Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#2 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 11:33 PM

Oh dear... is there a way we can keep in touch with him?

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#3 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 11:36 PM

View PostCait, on Nov 8 2006, 10:33 PM, said:

Oh dear... is there a way we can keep in touch with him?

Mark: He'll keep a military blog going on his website. He says there's nothing there now, but to come back in December. Ogami's Website
Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#4 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 12:03 AM

Cool!  I have it bookmarked now. :-)

Source:

#5 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,633 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 12:37 AM

I always feared this would happen, but Ogami believes in the war and went to great lengths to fight in it.  I pray he remains safe.  Maybe the evil Dems will get us out, preserve his life and safety, and leave him to gripe about missing his chance to fight for freedom for the rest of his days!

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#6 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 12:48 AM

I think I shall vastly amuse the Master of Snark and pray for his safety. ;) (Yeah, but humor value aside -- be safe, huh?)
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#7 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 01:01 AM

Number one on the agenda: be safe

Number two: take care of yourself

We'll all be thinking about you.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#8 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 01:04 AM

View PostCardie, on Nov 8 2006, 09:37 PM, said:

Maybe the evil Dems will get us out, preserve his life and safety, and leave him to gripe about missing his chance to fight for freedom for the rest of his days!

Cardie, you are wicked.  I like that in a person.  :devil:

Source:

#9 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 01:12 AM

View PostCait, on Nov 8 2006, 10:04 PM, said:

View PostCardie, on Nov 8 2006, 09:37 PM, said:

Maybe the evil Dems will get us out, preserve his life and safety, and leave him to gripe about missing his chance to fight for freedom for the rest of his days!

Cardie, you are wicked.  I like that in a person.  :devil:

Heh. I was going to say "what Cardie said," but I do that too much. But she always says it so much better, doesn't she?  :devil:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#10 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 01:38 AM

Mark: As you see my winking emoticon, I was joking about the "evil Democrats".
I myself wish Ogami, and the Democrats the best of luck with their new jobs. That's no joke.
Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#11 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:00 AM

When the bullets start flying, DUCK!  ;)

Seriously, take care of yourself and stay safe.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#12 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:37 AM

Here's my advice to Ogami, it may be heavy and cumbersome but leave the insert in your body armor, it will keep you alive.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#13 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,506 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 03:23 AM

Take hold Ogami!  May you serve with dignity.
Stay safe and help those in need.  No matter how bad it seems, there are plenty of people who are thankful for your help and dedication.  There are also others who respect what you're trying to do.

Good luck
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#14 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 05:59 AM

Thanks for letting us know, Mark. I hope Ogami stays safe and returns to annoy me for many more years. ;) We disagree about most things political, but I respect his having the courage to act on his convictions. And I wish him well.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#15 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 07:55 AM

Good luck, stay safe! We look forward to your perspective from the ground, and thank you for your service.

Maybe we can get a signature graphic about remembering Ex Islers in Iraq? (Are there others?)

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#16 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 08:25 AM

Mark -- Can you get us an address for Ogami, so we can send him care packages?  I'm sure he'll have access to a DVD player, so we could burn his favorite shows, etc. . .  (Hm... After Andromeda, I'm not sure what shows he's into.  Could you find that out, too?)

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#17 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 08:40 AM

View PostScottEVill, on Nov 9 2006, 07:25 AM, said:

Mark -- Can you get us an address for Ogami, so we can send him care packages?  I'm sure he'll have access to a DVD player, so we could burn his favorite shows, etc. . .  (Hm... After Andromeda, I'm not sure what shows he's into.  Could you find that out, too?)

Mark: He loves Stargate, and SG:Atlantis. I'll ask him about others, too. Not too sure about an address...I don't think he even knows that, yet, but I'll ask him.
Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#18 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:23 AM

View PostScottEVill, on Nov 9 2006, 08:25 AM, said:

That's an excellent idea. I'm a technical idiot, but I can send him books and stuff. Hell, I'll even send him Ann Coulter's next book--and with only minimal comments from me in the margins. ;)
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#19 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:31 AM

View PostSpectacles, on Nov 9 2006, 08:23 AM, said:

View PostScottEVill, on Nov 9 2006, 08:25 AM, said:

That's an excellent idea. I'm a technical idiot, but I can send him books and stuff. Hell, I'll even send him Ann Coulter's next book--and with only minimal comments from me in the margins. ;)

Mark: Here the poor guy is going to Hell, and you people are already puttin' on your horns.  :lol:
Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#20 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:37 AM

:)

No, really, I'm serious. I have an odd, sentimental, confusing-even-to-me attachment to Ogami. We've bickered for many, many years, but I really would like to do something to support him while he's over there. And if that means buying an Ann Coulter book {{shudder}}, well, it's a small sacrifice for me to honor his willingness to serve. I'm totally serious. And I think Ogami knows me well enough to know this. :) And it would delight him to no end to imagine the agony I went through to buy the damned thing for him.  So we're talking mega-morale-booster here.

Edited by Spectacles, 09 November 2006 - 09:38 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OT Member, Ogami, Deployed, Middle East, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users