OT Member Ogami Deployed Middle East 2006

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 03:00 PM

Ogami: I don't know if I'll be putting my actual address on my blog, I've never deployed before.

When my friend was in Baghdad in 2003, I remember sending him stuff via a stateside military address and it was forwarded to him. They know where you are. :) And the mail service was pretty reliable.

If you aren't comfortable posting your address, I hope you'll at least consider passing it around privately because I truly would like to do something for you. We may disagree, but I want you to be OK, and I appreciate your service.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#42 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 03:00 PM

View PostNittany Lioness, on Nov 9 2006, 01:14 PM, said:

You people are incredible.

Yes, I would like to think so....

You see, despite differing views we all do care at some level for others on this board.

I'll be in a holding pattern on this too....tho me mentioning this to my boss has now added more work to my load as he wants to adopt some soldiers now too for Christmas.  

But while ya'll are feeling charitable here's a place for ya to expend some of that feeling....Maybe Ogami will even get one of the packages

www.anysoldier.com

There's another site that I found elsewhere but will have to get back to you with the link....they try to send packages to one person who is known as the 'distributor'.  That person goes out distributing whatever was sent to whoever needs it.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#43 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 03:07 PM

A message from Ogami:

Hi _Ph,

You may post this email to the thread in question as my response, if you wish. I am the #1 topic at Orbis Terrarum again! LOL Way to stroke my ego (wink wink)

Seriously, I have read all the posts on that thread, and appreciate the kind words from all concerned.  Please tell Spectacles that I would appreciate books, although probably not anything by Ann Coulter. I read her columns for free on her website, why give her money?

Maybe send autographed copies of Clinton's My Lies, uh, My Life, or Hillary's book, right? I would definitely be a captive audience, and would have to read them. ;)

I will be taking my laptop, so DVDs, CDs, books are fine. Don't go overboard and spend money on phone cards, use your judgment. I understand the military is exceptionally good at the mail, I will get anything sent. (My overseas address to follow in December, I assume. I have no idea of internet access where I'm going.)

Right now I just have my ship date (after Thanksgiving), and no details besides that.  ...

I'm glad to go. Because at this stage in the 'war on terror', me deploying means someone else gets to come home, and that's what it's all about. Do my part to help out. I certainly do not suffer a "Rambo" mentality to mow down the enemy. That's not the case, I am a very defensive fighter in real life, I assure you.

Anyway, take care, and thanks.

He's a brave guy who deserves all our heartfelt thanks and support--plus whatever little goodies we can send to make life a little easier over there (wherever "there" is--we don't know yet).

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#44 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 03:52 PM

Take care, Ogami
"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#45 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 03:59 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on Nov 9 2006, 02:10 PM, said:

Stay safe, or we'll go and get you back ourselves.

Sparky

I can just picture those headlines: "Iraq invaded by angry EI's. Iraq government asks for aid from the US, US's response: "Are you nuts, we ain't going there."  ;)
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#46 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 04:06 PM

Ogami, you be extra carefull over there. I am so impressed that you put your money where your mouth is. ExIsle is proud of you and will be waiting for you to return.

And thank you for everyone here that is stepping up in this. Ogami and all of our troops deserve all we can do for them.

LoP

#47 Flechette

Flechette
  • Islander
  • 326 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 05:44 PM

Once Ogami has his info, he may want to look at signing up with Treats for Troops

http://www.treatsfortroops.com

(I have no idea why it's not linking so copy and paste I guess...  NM  good call QT!)

Once he has his profile number, people can use that to send items too him AND he'll get random packages as well.   Tim's unit sees about 1 package every 3 weeks.

Fight the good fight O, and keep the flap down!

Edited by Flechette, 10 November 2006 - 10:29 AM.

#48 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 06:09 PM

Thank you again for taking up the banner Ogami. I feel it as a personal thing because of my service. I feel like you're following in my footsteps and taking up what I had to finally put down.

As for care packages, the any soldier site is a really good place to get info about what is appropraite to send. More importantly it covers what shouldn't be sent for various reasons. It also gives the technical rules for sending stuff so it can be delivered if you want to send to troops in general.

I like the idea of EI packages for Ogami individually but I get the feeling he can become a focal point for us to such an extent that other service people will benefit too.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#49 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 06:09 PM

View PostFlechette, on Nov 9 2006, 05:44 PM, said:

Once Ogami has his info, he may want to look at signing up with Treats for Troops

www.treatsfortroops.com

(I have no idea why it's not linking so copy and paste I guess...)

Once he has his profile number, people can use that to send items too him AND he'll get random packages as well.   Tim's unit sees about 1 package every 3 weeks.

It says I edited but I didn't - I just got ready to... anyway, I think you need to add the http:// part
QT

Edited by QueenTiye, 09 November 2006 - 06:10 PM.

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#50 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 06:13 PM

God's Speed, Ogami.

I'll be watching to see where and what we can send.

I have another pal over there, and she has internet access, so we do Amazon money and things and she can buy what she needs/wants.

#51 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 06:26 PM

Ok let's see Treats for Troops
That should do it.

It does seem to load very slowly though.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#52 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 06:45 PM

Ogami, we agree on nothing except for this...come home safe and sound.  :)  Take care of yourself over there and if ya have any favorite DVD stuff you'd like, give me a shout and I'll burn them for ya.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#53 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:45 PM

Ogami: Please tell Spectacles that I would appreciate books, although probably not anything by Ann Coulter. I read her columns for free on her website, why give her money?

Whew! That's what I say! Though I was actually beginning to look forward to drawing a mustache on Ann's cover-photo. ;)

Maybe send autographed copies of Clinton's My Lies, uh, My Life, or Hillary's book, right? I would definitely be a captive audience, and would have to read them.

You got it. Don't know how autographed it will be--at least not authentically autographed  ;) --but something will be scribbled in there for sure. And really, rather than torture you, I'll probably see if I can find something you'd actually enjoy reading.

Do take care and please let us know how to get in touch with you and send you fun stuff.... You'll be OK. You're Ogami. I trust you'll be vexing me for many more years. :)
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#54 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:54 PM

I hope he returns safe and sound.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#55 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 10:03 PM

View PostMark, on Nov 9 2006, 07:55 AM, said:

View PostScottEVill, on Nov 9 2006, 09:49 AM, said:

He has the courage of his convictions, give him that.  And while he hasn't been around much lately, he's "one of us," so we should do what we can to take care of him.  

In this context, I suppose that means keeping him in food, socks and underwear, DVDs, magazines of a certain type (uh-hem), books, etc.

Mark:  Don't look at me to be trying to keep him in undies! :eek2:

:blush: Wait a minute...that didn't sound quite right.

I won't send him uh..."personal items".

ROTFLOL! I'd quit before you dig yourself in deeper.  :devil:  :p~

I hope Ogami does sign up for Treats for Troops. We've been sending packages overseas through them. You can actually buy stuff for both the person and their unit or whatever. That way everybody gets something.

Edited by Rhea, 09 November 2006 - 10:05 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#56 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

And from the ashes of fire, she is reborn

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 06:46 AM

I've been sending the odd little stuff to a lady stationed in korea, but i'd like to be able to send some little stuff - not much, but what I can afford.

what's the best way I can go about it?
RIP Ruby Medallion: 31-10-1999/21-05-2007
one gender-reassigned, world travelling, world class snake.

FKA Chaddee, amongst other things.
http://scentedalchemy.webs.com Custom handmade bath and body products

#57 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 10:01 AM

View PostFlechette, on Nov 9 2006, 02:44 PM, said:

www.treatsfortroops.com

(I have no idea why it's not linking so copy and paste I guess...)

Flechette, do you use Mozilla Firefox?  Did you just do an update?  If so, check my thread in AQG.  Rov, Laughing Vulcan and Orpheus posted information and advice.  If not, check it anyway and add your questions.  :)  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#58 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 10:07 AM

Yep, something else alright; absolutely, positively unbelievable.

I can't be certain of the Army situation, but for perspective, I will tell folks that my Marine brother stationed in Fallujah is in charge of the logistics of convoys for supplies, weaponry, vehicles, and includes mail for Marines for the 1st Division.  
Because of continued IED's and gunfire attacks on convoys, he expressly discouraged us and anyone we knew from sending packages.  His feeling was that the more material sent, the more his trucks have to go in and out, and the more deadly risk his men are in.  They've already lost men in his battlion (he's only been there ~ month), and his 1st convoy out, the last vehicle got hit with a bomb.  
So his advice is:  Please don't send stuff, at least med/big packages.  He even insisted I not send him a movie (VHS).
He repeats to us that they are provided with all they need comfort-wise, they truly aren't "short", and the food is very good (and he's fussy).  He scolds my mom for wanting to send toiletries, fuming:  Don't you think the marine corps has toothbrushes, shaving cream and TP for us, mom?!
I know this isn't from a grunt's POV, and people stateside want to feel like they're contributing, but keeping the volume down does help with safety.  Practicality can stink, admittedly.

He does encourage sending one thing: international calling cards - they don't take up any room in an envelope and are the one thing that are highly treasured by every man and woman out there.  Even if it's just enough for one phone call - they really, really, appreciate that above all.

Edited by Nittany Lioness, 10 November 2006 - 10:12 AM.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#59 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 10:08 AM

Right now I just have my ship date (after Thanksgiving), and no details besides that.  ...
Wo, flashback!  I shipped out just after Thanksgiving 32 years ago.  Had a great Thanksgiving before I left.  Hope you do too.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#60 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 11:57 AM

View PostNittany Lioness, on Nov 10 2006, 07:07 AM, said:

Yep, something else alright; absolutely, positively unbelievable.

I can't be certain of the Army situation, but for perspective, I will tell folks that my Marine brother stationed in Fallujah is in charge of the logistics of convoys for supplies, weaponry, vehicles, and includes mail for Marines for the 1st Division.  
Because of continued IED's and gunfire attacks on convoys, he expressly discouraged us and anyone we knew from sending packages.  His feeling was that the more material sent, the more his trucks have to go in and out, and the more deadly risk his men are in.  They've already lost men in his battlion (he's only been there ~ month), and his 1st convoy out, the last vehicle got hit with a bomb.  
So his advice is:  Please don't send stuff, at least med/big packages.  He even insisted I not send him a movie (VHS).
He repeats to us that they are provided with all they need comfort-wise, they truly aren't "short", and the food is very good (and he's fussy).  He scolds my mom for wanting to send toiletries, fuming:  Don't you think the marine corps has toothbrushes, shaving cream and TP for us, mom?!
I know this isn't from a grunt's POV, and people stateside want to feel like they're contributing, but keeping the volume down does help with safety.  Practicality can stink, admittedly.

He does encourage sending one thing: international calling cards - they don't take up any room in an envelope and are the one thing that are highly treasured by every man and woman out there.  Even if it's just enough for one phone call - they really, really, appreciate that above all.

I can confirm that calling cards are one of the most asked-for presents. However, apparently all troops are not as well-supplied as your brother. If I understood what I read correctly (and we've been sending packages to some California kids) there's a PX set up in Baghdad, but they sell out of stuff a lot. Almost every single person on Treats for Troops asks for personal items - shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, etc.  So not everybody has the basics. But we're sending stuff to Marines in active combat, so maybe that's why the perspective and needs are different.

Edited by Rhea, 10 November 2006 - 03:18 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OT Member, Ogami, Deployed, Middle East, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users