106 replies to this topic

#1 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 04:50 PM

Letís bring it! :p

A lop-eared rabbit from northwest England has picked up a parking ticket that is well beyond its means...

http://www.reuters.c...storyID=2805936
Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings.

#2 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 08:59 AM

ROfL!!!!!

I'll be back with some later :D
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. ß 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#3 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 09:04 AM

Mother Fined for Child Refusing to Cooperate with Dentist

:lol:
cervisiam tene rem specta

#4 Chrys

Chrys

Pinions Anonymous

• Islander
  • 279 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 02:46 PM

Wasn't sure where to put this, so stuck it here. Boy to spend life at sea in search of asthma cure
Do not disturb. I had a hard enough time getting turbed in the first place.
I bought some batteries, but they weren't included. So I had to buy them again.

#5 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 02:51 PM

I can't decide is it stranger that these things occur or that they decide to report on themÖ
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#6 MegL

MegL
  • Islander
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 29 May 2003 - 04:13 AM

Chrys, on May 26 2003, 10:50 PM, said:

Wasn't sure where to put this, so stuck it here. Boy to spend life at sea in search of asthma cure
Well I clicked this but it says the Times UK is now a pay site (i.e. you have to pay to read its articles), so I'll just have to skip reading it.  :glare:

Meg

#7 Laoise

Laoise

I am bounce around so well

• Islander
  • 714 posts

Posted 29 May 2003 - 04:51 AM

Weird, I'm getting to it fine.  I read it last night and just tried again today when I saw your post, Meg.

Edit:  Okay, nevermind, now I'm getting told that's it's paid as well.  *scratches head*

Edited by Laoise, 29 May 2003 - 04:54 AM.

Being Liberal means never having to say you're Tory.

#8 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 14 June 2003 - 12:34 AM

About 15 years ago, June Merrett, who owned the Anasazi then, decided that the address of her establishment was unacceptable. As though it wasn't inauspicious enough to be stuck squarely on U.S. Route 666, the building's number was also 666. So along with adopting the local name of the road as it crosses through town ó Broadway ó she convinced officials at City Hall to switch the address of the Anasazi to 640.

But now they also changed the name of the road :p

The End of the Road for 'Devil's Highway'

:lol:

#9 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 14 June 2003 - 01:49 AM

New Mexico is putting the legend of Billy the Kid under a microscope, using DNA tests to verify if the man who claimed to be the infamous gunslinger really was.

Billy The Kid Still Making News

#10 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 14 June 2003 - 04:48 PM

ROTFL!! :D  :D :lol:  :lol:  :bigsmile:  :bigsmile:  :hehe:

but the "Boy to spend life at sea in search of asthma cure" and "devil's highway" both tell me I have to pay too.  Care to give us a quote?  :sly:

Sci-Fi Girl :tribble:  :tribble:  :tribble:  :tribble:  :tribble:  :tribble:
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#11 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 14 June 2003 - 08:37 PM

^ You don't have to pay on NYTimes, you just have to register once and it's always interesting (and sometimes even true :p)

Anyway, here's some more from that one:

But this spring, politicians in those three states, led by Bill Richardson, the governor of New Mexico, petitioned the federal agency that handles such things to change the highway's number, arguing that the New Testament's association of 666 with Satan was impairing the economic vitality of the towns along its route.

This humble highway is hardly the first to have an identity crisis. South Korea added seven soldiers to its original Iraq contingent to bring the total to a noncontroversial 673. Moscow's bus route 666 became 616 in 1999. Even the United States government, which has a policy against switching Social Security numbers for religious reasons, agreed in 1996 to issue a new one for a 1-year-old girl in Orange County, Calif., whose parents refused to list her 666 on their income taxes.

All this even though the relevant Biblical passage ó from Revelations, Chapter 13 ó does not even explicitly mention the Devil. "Here is wisdom," says Verse 18. "Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is six hundred threescore and six."

Whatever the validity of the fears, Route 666 is no more. On May 31, it was changed to 491. It will take up to a year, and untold sums, for the three states to change their signs and maps to reflect the sanitized moniker, and the cowboys and Indians who live along the unassuming road will probably keep calling it Triple Six long afterward. But people who might have feared to make the trek from, say, Yellow Jacket, Colo., to Eastland, Utah, because of the number of the highway that links the two can now hit the road without trepidation.

Of course, maybe there wasn't all that much to worry about in the first place.

That was the impression I got the weekend before the name change as my boyfriend, Gary, and I drove the length of the highway to see what the fuss was all about ó and to earn the distinction of being among the last to drive what's known locally as "the Devil's highway."

Riding with the top down in Thrifty's red Sebring, we logged 800 miles in 48 hours. We did not see the Devil. There was nary an entrepreneur who had capitalized on the numerology with a Hell's Kitchen cafe, Dance With the Devil disco or "The Devil Made Me Do It" bumper sticker. And not a 666 T-shirt to be had.

:)

#12 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 09:52 AM

It doesn't pay to take the Pepsi challenge if you happen to work for Coca-Cola.

Rick Bronson, a union activist and driver at a Coca-Cola bottling plant in Southern California, apparently learned that lesson the hard way this week when he was fired for allegedly drinking a Pepsi-Cola.

:eh:

Enmar

#13 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 09:55 AM

^

ROFL!!!!!!!
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. ß 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#14 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 10:01 AM

Naked Man Scares Shark to Death?

The 12-year-old smooth hound shark - one of the tiddlers of the shark world at barely 3ft long - died suddenly two days after Mr Venables, 35, took his dip to publicise his show at a local nightclub. Biologists are now conducting an autopsy.

Lisa Handscomb, marketing co-ordinator at the centre, said: "This variety of shark is susceptible to stress. We are very concerned he died as a result of the shock of seeing Mr Venables jumping into the tank. The shark is being examined by our biological services team and if it is found that he died from stress, we will prosecute Mr Venables for criminal damage."

:eek:

Enmar

#15 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 10:06 AM

http://story.news.ya..._people_britney

U.S. pop star Britney Spears is to get a pair of inflatable, throbbing breasts that will pulsate in time to her dancing -- at least her waxwork model will at Madame Tussauds museum in London.

"There are plans to make a new figure of Britney Spears," a spokeswoman said on Friday. "She'll be very sexy and she'll have heaving bosoms. But this is only in the very early stages of planning."

She said the model would be based on one of Britney's videos, in which she dances breathlessly around a pole, and would be accompanied by professionals who would teach museum visitors the tricks of the trade.

The initiative is the latest by the museum to make its models not just visual but tactile.

"Brad Pitt has got a squeezable (latex) bum, but Britney would be the first with heaving bosoms," added the spokeswoman.

Can I just say  :hehe:   :eek:  :ninja:

Edited by Rhea, 15 June 2003 - 10:06 AM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#16 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 10:08 AM

Edit: Nothing to see here... :ninja:

Edited by Enmar, 15 June 2003 - 10:11 AM.

#17 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 10:10 AM

And in the local news, a 200-lb  Burmes python (took 4 men to carry  him :eek2: ) and a smaller Rock Python were removed from a guy's home yesterday - his mother wanted to sell the house and he's in jail.  :p  :p

Guess if you're a bad boy, Mommy will take your toys away.  :hehe:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#18 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 10:11 AM

Enmar, on Jun 14 2003, 04:09 PM, said:

^Rhea, of all the weird news in the world, did you really have to kill the poor shark again? :D
Hey, I edited it out! I had missed it when I first scanned the thread.  :wacko:

Cracked me up, for some reason.
- Robert A. Heinlein

#19 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 10:13 AM

^ I did not say that sentence :devil:

#20 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 10:17 AM

Enmar, on Jun 14 2003, 04:14 PM, said:

^ I did not say that sentence :devil:
^Right. Just like I never mentioned the shark.  :lol:
- Robert A. Heinlein

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Humor, Weird News

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users