#1 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:10 PM

So take a look at this:

http://teenadvice.ab...onsentchart.htm

In CANADA, the age of consent for heterosexual and lesbian couples is 14.  But for male homosexual couples it's 18.

Like, I'm torn between laughter, outrage, and pure unadultarated disbelief!

Lil
Posted Image

#2 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:24 PM

I wonder how much of this is still current?  

That, and it is illegal in some states to have homosexual sex at all?  

There are laws still on the books that make this illegal?

What the????  :eek2:

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#3 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:42 PM

I don't know if sexual laws differ by province like laws in American states. I'm not sure what powers devolve to the provinces from the central government.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#4 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:54 PM

View PostUna Salus Lillius, on Nov 12 2006, 10:10 PM, said:

Take a look at NM then. :blink:
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#5 Pallas

Pallas

Wicked--Like the Witch of the West

• Islander
  • 833 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:10 PM

View Posttennyson, on Nov 12 2006, 08:42 PM, said:

I don't know if sexual laws differ by province like laws in American states. I'm not sure what powers devolve to the provinces from the central government.

I am almost 100% certain that the age of consent is a federal law so it applies equally to all provinces. The reason why I believe this is because the age of consent is something that is covered in the criminal code and that's federal. It is also because the current PM campaigned on raising the age of consent from 14 to 16.

Edited to add: I was right. Here is a link. CBC Indepth Look at Age of Consent

Edited by Kalistria, 12 November 2006 - 11:18 PM.

We can do noble acts without ruling the earth and sea--Aristotle

#6 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:14 PM

Could it be based on the cliche that boys are in general more immature than girls?
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#7 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:05 AM

View PostUna Salus Lillius, on Nov 12 2006, 07:10 PM, said:

So take a look at this:

In CANADA, the age of consent for heterosexual and lesbian couples is 14.  But for male homosexual couples it's 18.

Lil

That's amazing. (I think 14 is too young for the age of consent, but call me crazy). Why wouldn't it be the same for all?  :blink:  :Oo:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#8 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:33 AM

View PostRhea, on Nov 13 2006, 12:05 AM, said:

So take a look at this:

Lil

That's amazing. (I think 14 is too young for the age of consent, but call me crazy). Why wouldn't it be the same for all?  :blink:  :Oo:

I'm with you on 14 being too young Rhea, I'd even say 16 is to be honest. 17 seems about right to me. That's not to say I like seeing 17 year olds having sex, honestly I think there are some 20 year olds out there who may be too immature. I do think though at 17 there's at least some semblance of the ability to have certainty if you make the decision. Much before that I think there's too much opportunity for it to be based on hormones or peer pressure or other similar things that just don't make it a good standard.

For a possible answer to your question see my post above.

Edited by Anastashia, 13 November 2006 - 12:34 AM.

The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#9 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:47 AM

View PostAnastashia, on Nov 12 2006, 09:33 PM, said:

View PostRhea, on Nov 13 2006, 12:05 AM, said:

So take a look at this:

Lil

I'm with you on 14 being too young Rhea, I'd even say 16 is to be honest. 17 seems about right to me. That's not to say I like seeing 17 year olds having sex, honestly I think there are some 20 year olds out there who may be too immature. I do think though at 17 there's at least some semblance of the ability to have certainty if you make the decision. Much before that I think there's too much opportunity for it to be based on hormones or peer pressure or other similar things that just don't make it a good standard.

For a possible answer to your question see my post above.

I saw your first comment and agree with you. I suspect, however, that it's mostly just another example of the phobia present in the most seemingly sane people when it comes to gay men. Lesbians, for some reason, never seem to be subject to the same extreme prejudice (not that they don't come in for their fair share of the antigay rhetoric). For some reason, in my experience, homophobes seem to be fixated on gay men.

Edited by Rhea, 13 November 2006 - 12:48 AM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#10 Pallas

Pallas

Wicked--Like the Witch of the West

• Islander
  • 833 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:48 AM

Well if we're talking about Canada, it's apparently because the age of consent laws haven't been changed since 1892 when it was changed to its current age of 14 from 12 and it was implemented in the Criminal Code to legislate regarding to sexual crimes.

As for why the age for homosexuality is so high is...well, I'm not sure but I can speculate. The first is the most obvious: 18 is the age of majority for Canadians and therefore once they are that age, male or female, it can no longer be regulated. Secondly, according to that CBC indepth look the consent for anal sex is 18 so it applies equally to both sexes but I suspect this applies primarily to homosexual couples due to gender related politics. The reason why I would think this is because the sexual age of consent is 14, they didn't specify what kind of sex is applicable (and I find it incredibly weird that there's actually legislature ruling on what kind of sex is permissable at what age...).
We can do noble acts without ruling the earth and sea--Aristotle

#11 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 07:29 AM

Tricky one, this. It involves making a decision between physical maturity and social maturity, whilst accepting that different people mature at different rates. (and some never grow up at all.)
Now that the majority of us live for the 3 score and ten, a later age of consent is not a problem for the maintenance of the population. Back when 30 was old, you started your family as soon as possible.
Also, now that the different types of sexual activity are publically acknowledged, it does seem reasonable to equalise the various ages. But I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with any teenage son of mine going out with an older man, just as I'd be uneasy about any real age gap between a daughter and her boyfriend. Personally I'd prefer the legal ages to be equalised upwards to at least school leaving age, rather than downward just because 'people are doing it anyway'.

Did any of that make sense?
Andromeda, Star Trek (all shows) and Doctor Who franchise episode transcripts.

Just because I didn't post a reply doesn't mean I wasn't tempted to.

#12 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 08:10 AM

View PostChakoteya, on Nov 13 2006, 12:29 PM, said:

Tricky one, this. It involves making a decision between physical maturity and social maturity, whilst accepting that different people mature at different rates. (and some never grow up at all.)
Now that the majority of us live for the 3 score and ten, a later age of consent is not a problem for the maintenance of the population. Back when 30 was old, you started your family as soon as possible.

That presumes that the only reason for sexual activity is to procreate. There is also a very real and valid segment of the population who enjoy sex as a pleasurable activity without any particular desire for children. With children a non-issue for them, the only concern should be (imo) whether the two people are capable and emotionally stable for the relationship

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#13 Pixiedust

Pixiedust

Still the stupidest member of the party

• Islander
  • 7,901 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 08:17 AM

I just looked at that and I can't believe all the places gay or lesbian sex is illegal. *is totally stunned*
Posted Image

#14 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:37 AM

This was from 2003:

http://www.cnn.com/2.../scotus.sodomy/

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Supreme Court Thursday struck down a Texas state law banning private consensual sex between adults of the same sex in a decision gay rights groups hailed as historic.

Legal analysts said the ruling enshrines for the first time a broad constitutional right to sexual privacy, and its impact would reach beyond Texas and 12 other states with similar sodomy laws applied against the gay and lesbian community, and into mainstream America.

Of the 13 states with sodomy laws, four -- Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma and Missouri -- prohibit oral and anal sex between same-sex couples. The other nine ban consensual sodomy for everyone: Alabama, Florida, Idaho, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Utah and Virginia.

Thursday's ruling apparently invalidates those laws, as well. CNN legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin said the decision appeared to strike down most laws governing private sexual conduct, but he said laws governing marriage would be unaffected

I was surprised to see Tennessee didn't have a law on the books in 2001.

#15 Pixiedust

Pixiedust

• Islander
  • 7,901 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:58 AM

So they all have laws against...I'm speechless.
Posted Image

#16 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:06 PM

View PostGodeskian, on Nov 13 2006, 01:10 PM, said:

View PostChakoteya, on Nov 13 2006, 12:29 PM, said:

That presumes that the only reason for sexual activity is to procreate. There is also a very real and valid segment of the population who enjoy sex as a pleasurable activity without any particular desire for children. With children a non-issue for them, the only concern should be (imo) whether the two people are capable and emotionally stable for the relationship

True, but really, effective contraception is a comparatively new thing, so the old biological imperatives will tend to still be ingrained in the psyche (and in the common law). Now that humanity has moved upwards and onwards - at least in our 'developed' countries - we can look at such things with a less emotive and more balanced response.
And much as we may keep saying that sex is not just about having children, it is still a sad fact that young people are not practicing safe sex and young women of 12 and upwards are still getting pregnant and both genders are catching STIs at an alarming rate.
Andromeda, Star Trek (all shows) and Doctor Who franchise episode transcripts.

Just because I didn't post a reply doesn't mean I wasn't tempted to.

#17 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:19 PM

View PostBeka's Playgirl, on Nov 13 2006, 05:17 AM, said:

I just looked at that and I can't believe all the places gay or lesbian sex is illegal. *is totally stunned*

I'm kinda surprised at the surprise.  Look at how many states violently oppose the idea of gay marriage.

Lil
Posted Image

#18 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:47 PM

View PostChakoteya, on Nov 13 2006, 04:29 AM, said:

Also, now that the different types of sexual activity are publically acknowledged, it does seem reasonable to equalise the various ages. But I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with any teenage son of mine going out with an older man, just as I'd be uneasy about any real age gap between a daughter and her boyfriend. Personally I'd prefer the legal ages to be equalised upwards to at least school leaving age, rather than downward just because 'people are doing it anyway'.

Did any of that make sense?

It makes perfect sense, and I agree. I think the only time a low age of consent sounds good is when you're a teenager - the older you get the more appalling sexual activity between 14-year-olds sounds.  :D  :hehe:

True, but really, effective contraception is a comparatively new thing, so the old biological imperatives will tend to still be ingrained in the psyche (and in the common law). Now that humanity has moved upwards and onwards - at least in our 'developed' countries - we can look at such things with a less emotive and more balanced response.
And much as we may keep saying that sex is not just about having children, it is still a sad fact that young people are not practicing safe sex and young women of 12 and upwards are still getting pregnant and both genders are catching STIs at an alarming rate.

Too true, unfortunately. If Americans had decent sex eduction we'd emphasize safe sex, but since we don't, I'd rather the age of consent be at least 16 or older.

Edited by Rhea, 13 November 2006 - 11:49 PM.

- Robert A. Heinlein

#19 Pixiedust

Pixiedust

• Islander
  • 7,901 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 05:57 AM

View PostUna Salus Lillius, on Nov 14 2006, 02:19 AM, said:

View PostBeka's Playgirl, on Nov 13 2006, 05:17 AM, said:

I'm kinda surprised at the surprise.  Look at how many states violently oppose the idea of gay marriage.

Lil

Good point. However, marriage is something that's easier to control, isn't it? Not that I think it's right that they can't get married, because I don't. But I'm unsure of how they're planning to make sure no gay people have sex.
Posted Image

#20 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 06:15 AM

Most of these laws date from the 19th century or earlier and enforcement of such things was conceptualized very differently then.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sex, Age of Consent

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users