• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:42 PM

Which just goes to show that it's a lot harder to get a law off a book than it is to put one in.

Lil
Posted Image

#22 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 06:59 AM

They should be able to at least pass amendments revising the previous legislation though.
Equalisation would be only equitable, surely?
Andromeda, Star Trek (all shows) and Doctor Who franchise episode transcripts.

Just because I didn't post a reply doesn't mean I wasn't tempted to.

#23 Denny

Denny
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 10:22 AM

I think the age of consent should remain 14 and be 14 for all gender pairings.  Criminalizing behavior ought to be a last resort, not used for everything we may not like.

#24 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 12:30 PM

wow, two really different things going here:
one is age of sexual consent with partners roughly same age, and the other is if partners are different ages, like if someone's taking advantage.

aside from the homosexual thing for a bit .................. I say age of consent, whether Canada or USA or France, should be 16, why? because you must have a starting point, a goal, something to work with, so you name a number, and I name 16. Now teens have had sex for thousands of years, 13 yr olds have had sex for thousands of years, but we must start somewhere so I start there: 16. But: caveat: this is for same age or not-too-diff age. So So So many girls are not interested in guys their age, they want a man, so she goes with a guy who's 21, but that's still just five years. The problem is when a 26 yr old guy is trolling girls 16, and the age law says he can; oooooo, don't like that. I say, it should be not-too-diff age.

Same with gays: I think that is part of the sit with this male diff from girls thing in the laws: they're afraid some 16 yr old young guy will get trolled and seduced and groomed by some man of 38 or more; so they make his age 18. Yeah it's a double standard, but you must protect and you must start somewhere, but they think that making the girl 18 when she wants a guy who's 20 is wrong if it's just because of the male homosexual consent thing.
Whooooooooooo, confusing!
So I say there should be the 16 thing, but some older man (or woman for that matter) cannot troll and groom some boy of 16; but the 16 yr teen can go with someone say 21 or so.
;)
now, how to enforce such slop ........................ ?  :harper:

Guy-victim-of-girls-wanting-older-guys, signing off. Hey wait, now I'm not so young, I could get that 26 yr old chick now!
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#25 Schmokie_Dragon

Schmokie_Dragon

Crazy Fish Lady

• Islander
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 02:13 PM

In CANADA, the age of consent for heterosexual and lesbian couples is 14. But for male homosexual couples it's 18.

Like, I'm torn between laughter, outrage, and pure unadultarated disbelief!

I think the hetero/lesbian age of consent is at the lowest end of OK. But for male homosexuals it is stupidly high! What kind if diseases can male homosexuals get that heteros can't get? I know the chances of HIV are lower, but one can still get all the other nasties. All forms of sexual intercourse have their risks; emotionaly and physicaly. Anyone (young or old) can be abused, or fall foul of STDs. What is so much riskier about homosexual sex? For me the issue is *general* mental and emotional maturity. Can most people of 14 handle this kind of freedom with responsibility? I feel that they can, if they have had the relevant access to information.

tbh, I can't see any justification for this. Big up the sex ed, it's not rocket science! Get the blokes to slap a rubber on. Has this wonderful property of stopping most STDs. What is so difficult that they assume a 16 year old homosexual won't be able to implement this practice?
Posted Image

#26 Denny

Denny
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 07:05 PM

View PostSchmokie_Dragon, on Nov 19 2006, 07:13 PM, said:

For me the issue is *general* mental and emotional maturity. Can most people of 14 handle this kind of freedom with responsibility? I feel that they can, if they have had the relevant access to information.

I agree, and I also agree with you about the need for comprehensive, secular sex education.  Canada, despite having a lower age of consent than the US and UK, has lower rates of teen pregnancy, STD transmission and suicide.  Obviously a high age of consent and a moralistic posture is not what's needed to protect kids.

#27 Pallas

Pallas

Wicked--Like the Witch of the West

• Islander
  • 833 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 07:27 PM

The age of consent might change in Canada, if Prime Minister Harper has his way. They want to change it from 14 to 16 but I think it's mostly to appease the social conservatives and the "growing" evangelicals that support Harper. I'm not sure how effective it might be since most teens will have sex whenever they want to, irregardless of laws. It's just a matter of if and when you get caught. That's practically the only time the issue is brought up.
We can do noble acts without ruling the earth and sea--Aristotle

#28 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,161 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 11:56 PM

As a run away in the 60's I became familiar with the age of consent.
It varies from province to province.

I found myself at the age of 16 in a holding cell in Montreal, bumming smokes from the Sargent while waiting for my parents to send me money to take the bus back to Ontario. Yeah they kicked me out of Montreal.

The Sargent asked me if I was a virgin. I told him it was none of his business. He said it was, that if I was not a virgin I would have spend a term of time at a nunnery. I just barked at him, I'm from Ontario, go away, thanks for the smokes.

This practice was confirmed by other young hippies from Quebec.

What ever the feds have to say is meaningless, at least when your trying to talk to the Francophone's.

BTW
South Africa's Top Court Blesses Gay Marriage

Now isn't that interesting?
Nice to have something as profound as that announcement for the next time I get into an argument with a homophobic African American or Jamaican lawyer.

Edited by D.Rabbit, 22 November 2006 - 12:00 AM.

7 verses I know you're there behind the veil.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sex, Age of Consent

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users