Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Which would you prefer for President in 08?

Election 2008 Speculation

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 05:08 PM

View Postveganmom, on Nov 14 2006, 04:36 PM, said:

re. McCain
There is a difference between voting to cut taxes and voting to extend a tax cut already signed into law. (According to your source, McCain said he wouldn't vote for the 2001 tax cut but did vote to extend it.)

Edited because I tracked down additional information:  McCain voted against the $1.35 trillion 2001 tax cut (the one your opinion piece has McCain on record as vehemently opposing). McCain also voted against the 2003 acceleration of the 2001 tax cut ($350 billion). McCain did vote for the $70 billion Tax Relief Extension Reconciliation Act of 2005. The bulk of the $70 billion is from extensions to the reduced tax rates for capital gains and dividends, but other provisions in the same legislation extended AMT relief, the tuition deduction, and the R&D credit. McCain also voted in favor of a $146 billion tax relief extension in 2004 that predominantly benefited lower- and middle-income families. Unless there's something I'm missing, I wouldn't count McCain's 2005 vote as a flip-flop, but your mileage may vary.

Your other piece of information is that McCain met with Falwell and later said he supported South Dakota's anti-abortion law. Obviously, McCain met with Falwell to score some political points with fundamentalist Christians. If that displeases you, so be it, but I don't see anything wrong with talking. McCain's been consistently pro-life when it comes to abortion so it's a non-starter to claim that McCain became anti-abortion only after that meeting with Falwell.

Edited by Solar Wind, 14 November 2006 - 08:46 PM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#22 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 05:41 PM

Ok they said that Collins is listed as an advisor to the McCain campaign and therein the possible VP opportunity. Interesting, I would definitely not classify her as entirely pro-life (see my link above) but again a moderate on the issue.

Olympia Snowe also (R-ME) is also on the 8 for '08 list. Doesn't surprise me either.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#23 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 05:58 PM

I 'd prefer the best person for the job, regardless of party (or anything else for that matter).

#24 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 06:14 PM

View PostZwolf, on Nov 14 2006, 05:06 PM, said:

I didn't realize that was an option...  okay, I'll vote LoP! :)

Cheers,

Zwolf

Good Lord, I can see the headlines now. New President LoP paints the White house Purple. The White House is now the Purple House.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#25 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 06:19 PM

Well Purple House might be a bit much, but I've seen violet houses.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#26 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 06:27 PM

View PostSolar Wind, on Nov 14 2006, 01:21 PM, said:

^ I skimmed the transcript. McCain engaged in some doubletalk on ethanol and the Kerry gaffe.

I noticed that McCain implicitly acknowledged the dangers of global climate change and that (cellulosic) ethanol could help. If that's a change in his position, I think it's a positive one. I'm not seeing anything particularly troubling in his statements in this interview. Did you have something particular in mind?

Humm, I think I should go watch it again then.  Maybe I'm being too hard on him.   Thanks for your POV.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#27 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:15 PM

I've voted for some third party candidates but never a Republican so will probably not start now, but I have to see who's running.  I know if anyone either Dem or Republican continues the idea that government should start regulating people's private lives I'm voting for the other person.

I would love to think that our country has changed enough that either a woman or an African- Asian- or Hispanic- American could be elcted president, but I'm not optimistic.  I do not like Hillary on general principles, however, and do wish the Dems would not nominate her.

Right now the people I like best probably don't have much of a chance: Bill Richardson and Joe Biden.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#28 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:20 PM

Yeah--Why does Bill Richardson refuse to run???

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#29 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:42 PM

I don't look at "Republican" or "Democrat".  I look at who is right for the job.  Right now, doesn't seem either side offers such a person.  But that could change by next year.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#30 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:57 PM

View PostCardie, on Nov 14 2006, 05:15 PM, said:

Right now the people I like best probably don't have much of a chance: Bill Richardson and Joe Biden.

Cardie

OMG, another Joe Biden fan!  I have watched him for years.  I am practically a fan-girl.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#31 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:00 PM

View Postveganmom, on Nov 14 2006, 04:36 PM, said:

SolarWind, re. McCain:
Well, I found this list. If it checks out (and it seems to), then McCain is indeed a particularly egregious flip-flopper.

Edited by Solar Wind, 14 November 2006 - 11:02 PM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#32 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:24 PM

My biggest issue right now as far as the Presidency is concerned has to be the Supreme Court, which could get pretty freaking scary with another Republican pres (if it isn't scary already, jury still out).  So I'll be leaning Democrat.

"There are monsters, there are angels...
There's a peacefulness and a rage inside us all."
----------------------------------
Voice of the Beehive

#33 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:36 PM

Democrat.
Posted Image

#34 Jazzer

Jazzer

Here I am

• Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:50 PM

For me, it'll depend on the individuals running.  I'm not impressed with McCain because I've noticed him flip-flopping over the years.  I think Obama has some potential, but I'd like to know more about him.  I can't see myself ever voting for Hillary, unless the opposing candidate struck me as an utter disaster.  

View PostLORD of the SWORD, on Nov 14 2006, 05:14 PM, said:

View PostZwolf, on Nov 14 2006, 05:06 PM, said:

I didn't realize that was an option...  okay, I'll vote LoP! :)

Cheers,

Zwolf

Good Lord, I can see the headlines now. New President LoP paints the White house Purple. The White House is now the Purple House.
:howling:  The borders of the Purple Pouncy Despotism expand!  :lol:

Edited by Jazzergold, 14 November 2006 - 11:51 PM.

Unanswered questions aren't nearly as dangerous as unquestioned answers.

#35 veganmom

veganmom
  • Islander
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:18 AM

Ya know, if there can be a Green Party......

:purpleninja:

Now see, at this point I'd start talking about who here should have what positions in government (Orph, Specs, Zwolf, Gode, etc...) but whoever started this thread would be rightfully angry....
So if anyone wants to start THAT discussion, we can head to the Beach...

We need this guy  :unclesam: but purple...

Edited by veganmom, 15 November 2006 - 10:20 AM.

#36 Anna

Anna

Island Native

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 03:11 PM

View PostScottEVill, on Nov 14 2006, 06:20 PM, said:

Yeah--Why does Bill Richardson refuse to run???
As a citizen of New Mexico, I can just about guarantee you that he will give it a try. Who knows if he can make it through the party, though. Here in NM we're convinced that the only reason he's back in the state is to repair his national reputation (read: things did NOT go well for him as Bill Clinton's Secretary of Energy). And he's garnered enough attention as NM Governor to think that he ought to give it a go as President. He was just reelected as Gov, but most of us are convinced that he won't finish his term.

However, I warn you, be careful what you ask for. If you think George W. Bush is bad about having sycophants (sp? too lazy to look it up :)) around him, Bill Richardson has him beat by a looooooong shot. Thou shalt not even look like thou disagree with King Bill or thou shalt be shown the door post haste. The man has an ego the size of Texas...

ETA: Meanwhile, I think what this country needs is beat back the stranglehold the two parties have on the entire system. We need viable third parties and independents that don't have to go beg enough people to get on a ballot. I'm an American, I want more than two choices; and frequently neither of them good...

Anna

Edited by Anna, 15 November 2006 - 03:14 PM.

Seldom do we regret words we do not speak.

--------------

Amendment X: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

#37 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:00 PM

View PostCait, on Nov 14 2006, 11:01 AM, said:

It totally depends on the state of each Party come 2008 and the candidates.  I trend towards Democrats, but I have voted more than once [tho not for Bush] for Republican candidates for President, etc.

It all depends.  If the election were held today, with the known runners I'd vote Democratic, because I tend to think that Bush and his failings are a reflection of inherent flaws in the GOP.  So, I would not trust the GOP no matter who they put up if the election were held today.

But, I have no idea where the GOP or the Democrats will be in two years or what their platform will be.  So, it depends.  

Vague I know.. it's a curse.

I'm with Cait. I tend toward Democratic, but right now there's nobody that grabs me.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election, 2008, Speculation

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users