• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:26 AM

Here's m' man Krauthammer's take on the meaning of the midterms:

==============================================================

Only a Minor Earthquake:

By Charles Krauthammer
Friday, November 10, 2006; Page A31

How serious is the "thumpin' " the Republicans took on Tuesday? Losing one house is significant but hardly historic. Losing both houses, however, is defeat of a different order of magnitude, the equivalent in a parliamentary system of a vote of no confidence.

On Tuesday Democrats took control of the House and the Senate. As of this writing, they won 29 House seats (with a handful still in the balance), slightly below the post-1930 average for the six-year itch in a two-term presidency. They took the Senate by the thinnest of margins -- a one-vote majority, delivered to them by a margin of 8,942 votes in Virginia and 2,847 in Montana.

Because both houses have gone Democratic, the election is correctly seen as an expression of no confidence in the central issue of the campaign: Iraq. It was not so much the war itself as the perceived administration policy of "stay the course," which implied endless intervention with no victory in sight. The president got the message. Hence the summary resignation of the designated fall guy, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld.

Nonetheless, the difference between taking one house vs. both -- and thus between normal six-year incumbent-party losses and a major earthquake that shakes the presidency -- was razor-thin in this election. A switch of just 1,424 votes in Montana would have kept the Senate Republican.

More of the Op/Ed can be read here: http://www.washingto...6110901775.html
==============================================================

Moderator's note: Guidelines prohibit posting entire articles.  I've edited it because Nittany Lionness was apparently not around to do it herself. - QT

Edited by QueenTiye, 20 November 2006 - 12:37 AM.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#2 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:04 AM

Sometimes, I actually agree with Krauthammer. :)

The result is that both parties have moved to the right. The Republicans have shed the last vestiges of their centrist past, the Rockefeller Republicans. And the Democrats have widened their tent to bring in a new crop of blue-dog conservatives.

I think he may be right. And this is putting the Democratic Party more firmly in the center, with the GOP being further to the right. It's going to be interesting to see what happens now.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#3 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:24 AM

I'd say what really happened in the election is a triumph of the center over the extreme right.

But that's just me.

"There are monsters, there are angels...
There's a peacefulness and a rage inside us all."
----------------------------------
Voice of the Beehive

#4 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:42 AM

View PostRobert Hewitt Wolfe, on Nov 15 2006, 07:24 AM, said:

I'd say what really happened in the election is a triumph of the center over the extreme right.

But that's just me.

And THAT I agree with! The Republicans let too many far right people dictate their actions and ignored the center Republicans. I hope they learn, but knowing politicians. ;)

LoP

#5 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:09 AM

Interesting op-ed, Nittany, but Krauthammer neglects to factor in the exit polls, which indicate quite clearly that *corruption* was even more important to the voters than Iraq.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#6 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

Water's wet; sky's blue; and Satan Clause is out there.

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:22 AM

^Then, consider it a referendum on both corruption and Iraq.  That makes it less about the candidates' politics and more about "no confidence" from the American public.  Those newbies who got into office turned out to be more moderate or (in some case in the South) conservative Democrats than anything else.  

I'm not gonna argue the corruption point; I, for one, am highly irritated and angered by it.  But, that's not something folk wanna be slinging as limited to one party or another.  Both are guilty, at some time or another, individually and collectively, of shady dealings of some form or fashion.  Congressman Jefferson (D-La.) is one example I can think of among the Democrats; Congressman Hastings (D-Fl.) is another; even Murtha was under suspicion of bribe-taking in 1980, but was never charged.  It's not a limited topic.  This group of Republicans just soured quick, is all.

Edited to put a space in between my paragraphs.

Edited by Lost Cause, 15 November 2006 - 11:23 AM.

Rose: [disgusted] Oh, look at what the cat dragged in: "The Oncoming Storm."

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

Sometimes the best causes worth fighting for are lost causes. -- Me.

Formerly Known as "Lost Cause."

#7 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:56 AM

I'm not arguing that Dems are immune to corruption--Far from it.  The congressman with the 90G's in his freezer was a *Dem*.  The difference, in that case, is that his party immediately threw him under the bus.  Also, his party has not been in power during this period, and it's *power* that corrupts.  

Whereas, the GOP defended every one of their members who got caught up in the Abramoff scandal to the bitter end.  There was also the Foley cover-up.  The pork.  Teri Schiavo.  Etc.  

This is without mentioning Iraq -- I think you'd have to call that business with the inspectors, and "slam dunk," aluminum tubes, et al "corruption."

ETA, re: Murtha -- I saw that abscam tape for the first time in years last night.  It's pretty damning.  "I'm not interested now, but I might be down the road."  That's what he said to the undercover agent.

Edited by ScottEVill, 15 November 2006 - 11:57 AM.

#8 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

Water's wet; sky's blue; and Satan Clause is out there.

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:10 PM

View PostScottEVill, on Nov 15 2006, 10:56 AM, said:

I'm not arguing that Dems are immune to corruption--Far from it. The congressman with the 90G's in his freezer was a *Dem*. The difference, in that case, is that his party immediately threw him under the bus.

Which is what the Repubs should've done to Delay and several others involved with Jack Abramoff.  BTW, that's Jefferson, from (appropriately) La.  He's playing the only game that La. pols have ever known. :rolleyes:  

Also, his party has not been in power during this period, and it's *power* that corrupts.

I don't think it requires any one party to be "in power" for members of Congress to get corrupt.  There's an atmosphere about politics, especially at the highest levels, where people feel they can get away with anything and go untouched because of their power.  They believe that it affords them both priviledge and immunity, when it confers neither.

Whereas, the GOP defended every one of their members who got caught up in the Abramoff scandal to the bitter end. There was also the Foley cover-up. The pork. Teri Schiavo. Etc.

And it's not over yet.  Abramoff may be able to finger more than just Republicans in the whole corruption ring he was the hub of.  This from ABC online:

http://blogs.abcnews...off_report.html

ABCNews said:

Convicted lobbyist Jack Abramoff is scheduled to report to federal prison tomorrow, over the objections of federal prosecutors who say they still need his help to pursue leads on officials he allegedly bribed.  Sources close to the investigation say Abramoff has provided information on his dealings with and campaign contributions and gifts to "dozens of members of Congress and staff," including what Abramoff has reportedly described as "six to eight seriously corrupt Democratic senators."

ETA, re: Murtha -- I saw that abscam tape for the first time in years last night. It's pretty damning. "I'm not interested now, but I might be down the road." That's what he said to the undercover agent.

The bad thing here is that while they had him on tape, he was never caught actively involved in abscam.  Absence of evidence is not absence of guilt.

Edited by Lost Cause, 15 November 2006 - 12:11 PM.

Rose: [disgusted] Oh, look at what the cat dragged in: "The Oncoming Storm."

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

Sometimes the best causes worth fighting for are lost causes. -- Me.

Formerly Known as "Lost Cause."

#9 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 08:14 PM

View PostLost Cause, on Nov 15 2006, 12:10 PM, said:

And it's not over yet.  Abramoff may be able to finger more than just Republicans in the whole corruption ring he was the hub of.  This from ABC online:

ABCNews said:

Convicted lobbyist Jack Abramoff is scheduled to report to federal prison tomorrow, over the objections of federal prosecutors who say they still need his help to pursue leads on officials he allegedly bribed.  Sources close to the investigation say Abramoff has provided information on his dealings with and campaign contributions and gifts to "dozens of members of Congress and staff," including what Abramoff has reportedly described as "six to eight seriously corrupt Democratic senators."

Well, that's disgusting.  If true, I say, get em the hell outta there.

#10 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:43 PM

View PostRobert Hewitt Wolfe, on Nov 15 2006, 07:24 AM, said:

But that's just me.

Me too.  :D

I would actually like to see the moderate, fiscally conservative Republicans come to the forefront of their party again so that there could be an actual dialogue of some sort between the parties. I vastly prefer an actual two-party system where people..you know...work together sometimes.. to the polarization we saw the last six years. I think not only is it a referendum on Iraq and corruption, but I think it's pretty clear that nobody's very happy that the extremist portion of the Republican party was in the driver's seat.

Edited by Rhea, 15 November 2006 - 09:46 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#11 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 11:13 AM

View PostScottEVill, on Nov 15 2006, 08:14 PM, said:

View PostLost Cause, on Nov 15 2006, 12:10 PM, said:

ABCNews said:

Well, that's disgusting.  If true, I say, get em the hell outta there.

Harry Reed violated ethic rules conserning the disclosure of his recent land deal which got him personally a little over 3 million dollars.

Then again were there folks here saying that it was just republicans who took the money. Who absolutly insisted that no dems would take the guys cash. We kept trying to point out that both parties likely took money just like AL Gore took money from Enron in 2000.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#12 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 12:12 PM

Harry Reed violated ethic rules conserning the disclosure of his recent land deal which got him personally a little over 3 million dollars.

I can't remember the details, but what I read about that didn't concern me too much.  If you want to post proof to the contrary, I'd be happy to revise my opinion.  

Then again were there folks here saying that it was just republicans who took the money.

No, there were people here who were trying to insist that the scandal was bipartisan in nature when only Republcans were dropping like flies.  

If the scandal nets some Democrats, too, I doubt anyone here will have any trouble admitting it, but that hasn't happened yet.  

Who absolutly insisted that no dems would take the guys cash.

Nobody said that.

#13 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:11 PM

View PostScottEVill, on Nov 16 2006, 12:12 PM, said:

I can't remember the details, but what I read about that didn't concern me too much.  If you want to post proof to the contrary, I'd be happy to revise my opinion.  

Then again were there folks here saying that it was just republicans who took the money.

No, there were people here who were trying to insist that the scandal was bipartisan in nature when only Republcans were dropping like flies.  

If the scandal nets some Democrats, too, I doubt anyone here will have any trouble admitting it, but that hasn't happened yet.  

Who absolutly insisted that no dems would take the guys cash.

Nobody said that.

Ask Howard Dean from Meet the Press last Winter. He sure made the claim.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#14 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:18 PM

Link?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election, 2006, Mid-terms, Op-Ed, Krauthammer

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users