• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#21 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 01:44 PM

View PostZwolf, on Nov 16 2006, 12:42 PM, said:

I can see it's happening already: the "curse" part of the Dems winning Congress.  I'd read on Republican blogs as much as a year ago that some Republicans were hoping that the Dems would win in '06 so they'd have somebody to blame the Iraq war on.  Scapegoat them for Bush's mistakes and be in better shape in '08.

'Cuz, see, now, no matter what the Dems do, Republicans will claim this dead-born ill-planned fiasco foul-up of a war that's going to go lousy no matter what "would have turned out okay if..."

- if the Dems hasn't pulled out

- if the Dems hadn't stayed the course

- if the Dems hadn't done whatever-it-is-the-Dems-are-actually-gonna-do.

If there weren't soldiers' lives at stake, our financial future at risk, and our world standing to be concerned with, I'd reccommend "Operation Doormat" for the Dems and just rubber-stamp whatever Bush planned to do and let him own it.  Only that wouldn't work, either, 'cuz the critics would claim "the Dems should've opposed him!  It's their fault!" yadda-yadda-whateverthehellelseyawannaputinthere.

It's no wonder Rush Limbaugh feels liberated - not only does he not have to "carry water" (that's called "lying" if you or I do it) anymore, there's a way to trump up an "out" for a big ol' painted-in corner.

So, no matter what, that's one thing.

Pulling out completely and quickly isn't something I'd support.  I would say it would destabilize the region, but the region's already destabilized.  The Sunnis and the Shiites have quite the lil' Gaza Striptease goin', and that's not going to stop.   If we pulled out, they'd have to take care of things real quick, which eventually is what it's going to take, anyway - it'd be sink-or-swim time.  

But, we don't want 'em to sink.  We'd feel bad... and rightfully so.  So, that's not a very good option.  We could send more troops in, but a lot of what we'd be killing at this point wouldn't be terrorists - it'd be Iraqi citizens who think they need to fight us as some kind of "insurgency"... and more troops would make them feel more justified in feeling that way, and would mean trouble down the line.  And, even with more troops in, eventually they'd have to leave someday and Iraq would have to stand on its own two feet, and we're back at sink or swim... and, if they sank, we'd feel bad, etc.

What I'm thinking we should maybe try to do is pull out of the really bad areas and put our troops in some of the areas that aren't in total chaos, so we can maintain stability where stability is, and see what happens in the areas where stability isn't.  Maybe things will settle down without our influence.  We could watch and see.  If it just got worse and worse, we could always send the troops back in, kill everybody, or whatever needed doing.

Whatever the case may be, the guy who pushed the snowball off the top of the hill now gets to tee-hee and claim his hands are clean...

Cheers,

Zwolf

Mark:
Links please.   :cool:
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#22 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 01:46 PM

View PostG1223, on Nov 16 2006, 06:34 PM, said:

No we need to flee otherwise the dems will be seen as going back on the campagn promise of getting us out of Iraq. No waiting we need to make it happen and soon so that Dick Durbin and others who opposed the war can have their full cup of retreat.

You seem to be under the impression this would be the first time the Invincible Glorious Mighty (insert any other favorite adjective here) United States has ever retreated.

enTranced
Posted Image

#23 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 01:47 PM

View PostenTranced, on Nov 16 2006, 01:25 PM, said:

You missed my point.

I'm saying that instead of bellyaching about your latest and greatest grivence against Dems why don't you or another fine repub tell us all how to get out of the Iraq mess that YOUR team caused.

Me? I have no idea but then again myself and many others said this is EXACTLY what would happen if we invaded and I didn't voite for the b@st@rd anyway, both times.

enTranced

The experts called for more troops but the screams were of No. You did not like the answer and you now have the other option leave.

Then why did you elect guys who's only answer is cut and run. If they actually had a plan why didn't they tell the us?
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#24 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 01:48 PM

There is no shame in retreating from a battle that cannot be won. To stay in a fight you can't win is just a good way to waste time, money, materials and lives.

However deciding to retreat from a battle doesn't necesarrily mean you need to stop trying to find a way to win it in a different fashion. Okay so pounding a new democracy into place in Iraq hasn't worked, so now we  have to start trying to figure out how do we make a proper democracy in a way that doesn't include military force.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#25 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 01:48 PM

View PostenTranced, on Nov 16 2006, 01:46 PM, said:

View PostG1223, on Nov 16 2006, 06:34 PM, said:

No we need to flee otherwise the dems will be seen as going back on the campagn promise of getting us out of Iraq. No waiting we need to make it happen and soon so that Dick Durbin and others who opposed the war can have their full cup of retreat.

You seem to be under the impression this would be the first time the Invincible Glorious Mighty (insert any other favorite adjective here) United States has ever retreated.

enTranced

Yeah and that was under the great and wise DNC run congress of 1952-1994.  Things do run in trends with them.

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#26 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 01:50 PM

View PostG1223, on Nov 16 2006, 12:47 PM, said:

View PostenTranced, on Nov 16 2006, 01:25 PM, said:

You missed my point.

I'm saying that instead of bellyaching about your latest and greatest grivence against Dems why don't you or another fine repub tell us all how to get out of the Iraq mess that YOUR team caused.

Me? I have no idea but then again myself and many others said this is EXACTLY what would happen if we invaded and I didn't voite for the b@st@rd anyway, both times.

enTranced

The experts called for more troops but the screams were of No. You did not like the answer and you now have the other option leave.

Then why did you elect guys who's only answer is cut and run. If they actually had a plan why didn't they tell the us?

Mark: Cause the Dems don't have a plan...they never have. All they can do is gripe and moan about what Repubs did badly in Iraq. I can't understand how Dems can gripe about what the Repubs have done, and not actually have a plan. And Dems, why would you vote for your own party when they don't even have a plan, or a clue?
Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#27 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 01:57 PM

Because they did not say we have a plan but cannot tell you because if we did you would not vote for us.

TANSTAAFL

#28 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 01:57 PM

View PostG1223, on Nov 16 2006, 06:47 PM, said:

*sigh*

I would put this in flashing neon if I could but I have to settle for bold :

At Least They HAVE a plan!!

I'm not saying it's the best plan. I'm saying that I'm satrting to feel it is the best of some really, REALLY bad options. If somebody across the fence has a better idea they should speak up.

enTranced
Posted Image

#29 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 01:59 PM

Well G, do you have a better plan? Any plan?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#30 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:00 PM

View PostMark, on Nov 16 2006, 06:50 PM, said:

And Dems, why would you vote for your own party when they don't even have a plan, or a clue?

Unlike Iraq that one is easy!

For whatever faults they may have, not even ONE of them had a R after his or her name on the ticket. ;)

enTranced
Posted Image

#31 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:00 PM

Which is? Cutting and running.  Not retreat but give up.  Not lets send in enough troops to settle the situation down and then work out a solution.

Then you jump on me for pointing out that the plan cutting and running.

You know this is why democrats are not great on nation defense.

TANSTAAFL

#32 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:01 PM

View PostenTranced, on Nov 16 2006, 01:00 PM, said:

And Dems, why would you vote for your own party when they don't even have a plan, or a clue?

For whatever faults they may have, not even ONE of them had a R after his or her name on the ticket. ;)

enTranced

Mark: Logical...flawlessly logical....(raises eyebrow)
Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#33 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:05 PM

View PostGodeskian, on Nov 16 2006, 01:59 PM, said:

The expert have said send in more troops. Why not do that first.

TANSTAAFL

#34 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:08 PM

View PostMark, on Nov 16 2006, 02:01 PM, said:

View PostenTranced, on Nov 16 2006, 01:00 PM, said:

enTranced

Mark you forgot :sarcasm:  and :rolleyes:

TANSTAAFL

#35 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:12 PM

View PostMark, on Nov 16 2006, 07:01 PM, said:

Hey, you build a congress with the politicians you have....

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 16 November 2006 - 02:12 PM.

Posted Image

#36 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:14 PM

Amazing!  Republicans with their rubber stamp gave Bush everything he wanted to have his war and now that it's in a shambles they now demand that the Democrats have a plan when their own went so badly.

Democrats are working on it which is a lot better than frickin' "stay the course".

What is the Republican plan?  G?  Mark?

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#37 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Mark: Links please.

For my opinion?  

I'm not good enough at Yahoo searches to track down individual blog posts from a year ago.  Blogs are pretty disposable, like forum-posts, so it's hard to search them.

Still, you want some links, okay - here's one and here's another that talk about the possibility of scapegoating.

Now... if we're going to play that way, how 'bout you give us some links proving that the Democrats are planning to impeach Bush?  You mentioned that, but everything I've been hearing says the exact opposite.  Hell, find us some proof they're expanding their offices, too, while you're at it.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#38 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

View PostG1223, on Nov 16 2006, 07:05 PM, said:

View PostGodeskian, on Nov 16 2006, 01:59 PM, said:

The expert have said send in more troops. Why not do that first.

A what theater do we pull these troops out of to get them stuck inside Iraq with the other troops that we have already stuck there?

enTranced
Posted Image

#39 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:15 PM

View PostBalderdash, on Nov 16 2006, 07:14 PM, said:

What is the Republican plan?  G?  Mark?

Scream "Stay the Course!" with your eyes wide shut?

enTranced
Posted Image

#40 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:17 PM

View PostZwolf, on Nov 16 2006, 01:14 PM, said:

Mark: Links please.

For my opinion?  

I'm not good enough at Yahoo searches to track down individual blog posts from a year ago.  Blogs are pretty disposable, like forum-posts, so it's hard to search them.

Still, you want some links, okay - here's one and here's another that talk about the possibility of scapegoating.

Now... if we're going to play that way, how 'bout you give us some links proving that the Democrats are planning to impeach Bush?  You mentioned that, but everything I've been hearing says the exact opposite.  Hell, find us some proof they're expanding their offices, too, while you're at it.

Cheers,

Zwolf

Mark:
I heard it all on television...last week's "Meet The Press", I believe it was.
Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Iraq, 2006, Time table, Troop withdraw, Criticism

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users