House of Representatives 2006 Steny Hoyer [D-MD] Majority Leader Democrats

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 12:54 PM

WASHINGTON - House Democrats on Thursday chose Maryland Rep. Steny Hoyer to be House majority leader over Rep. John Murtha, the choice of Rep. Nancy Pelosi, in line to become speaker.

Hoyer was elected on a vote of 149-86.

The balloting marked a personal triumph for him, but also a snub to Pelosi, moments after the rank and file selected her unanimously to become speaker when the House convenes in January.

MSNBC

Edited by Cait, 16 November 2006 - 12:54 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 01:05 PM

My reaction:

*whew!*

Good call. And it wasn't close.

Nothing personal against Murtha. But the voters made it clear that they're tired of corruption and Murtha's still tainted from Abscam and may possibly be involved in another scandal after the opposition goes over his connections with a fine-toothed comb.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#3 veganmom

veganmom
  • Islander
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 01:14 PM

Interesting. I heard this was coming up today, and Cait, thanks for posting the results.
Murtha is from my state (although not my area), and I appreciate his candor, and Abscam was 20 years ago, but I'm glad the House voted for who they thought they could work with.

I'm not sure you can "snub" someone who just got unanimously voted in for Speaker. I'm glad to see the Democrats are not a monolith, taking direction from On High. I'm kind of glad (not for Murtha) that it wasn't close -- it's a clear choice, and Hoyer can act with confidence.

But what kind of a name is Steny???
Is he stentorian? He should be -- he's a politician.

#4 Mel

Mel
  • Islander
  • 447 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 01:48 PM

It may not be a snub exactly, but it does say that Pelosi's power is limited.  That may or may not indicate an inability to get a group of Democrats with widely divided politics--from the ultra-liberals to the "Blue Dogs" (where does that name come from?) of the South--to work together.  Considering they have what will (protestations aside) quite possibly be a hostile executive branch, they are going to need a unified front if they want to get things done.  

This could be a minor setback for Pelosi or a sign of more major problems and I have absolutely no idea which.  Maybe someone like Scott or MuseZack who are up on Dem politics could weigh in with their thoughts.

Despite the fact that I probably agree with more of Murtha's politics (on gun control, etc), I still think this is the best choice if they really are trying to clean up the corruption.  There were just too many question marks attached to Murtha.

#5 Mel

Mel
  • Islander
  • 447 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 01:54 PM

New article in the Washington Post (I got in the habit of reading it online when we lived in the area and I still at least glance at the headlines most days) about the tactics Pelosi used to try to get Murtha elected.  I hadn't realized how aggressively she'd gotten behind him.  Some quotes from the article:

Hoyer won the No. 2 leadership job easily -- 149 to 86. But the showdown divided the Democrat House caucus only a week after its party won a majority of seats in the Congress that begins meeting in January, and prompted numerous complaints that Pelosi and her allies used strong-arm tactics and threats to try to elect Murtha to the job

Pelosi pushed Murtha's candidacy at social events, in private meetings and with incoming freshman Democrats; they were called to her office to discuss committee assignments, only to hear first that she needed Murtha in order to be an effective leader.

So intense was the lobbying been that incoming House Ways and Means Chairman Charles B. Rangel (D-N.Y.) -- after fielding a call from Pelosi -- said in a media report that he hadn't really endorsed Hoyer in a published interview in which he praised him.

One conservative Democrat said that a Murtha-Pelosi ally approached him on the House floor and said pointedly: "I hope you like your committee assignment, because it's the only one you're going to get."

In a phone call initiated by Murtha that same day, the lawmaker told the longtime politician that he had already signed a letter of support for Hoyer. The congressman said he was stunned when Murtha told him, "Letters don't mean anything."

Hoyer's supporters complained about such tactics.

"Commitment is something of value in this institution," said Rep. Artur Davis (D-Ala.). "If you have somebody in this race saying, 'Oh, your promises don't really mean anything in a secret ballot,' that bothers me, and it should bother a lot of people."

Pelosi may have gotten elected unanimously, but if this article is true she may have burned up quite a bit of good will during the process of this Murtha/Hoyer campaign.

Edited by Mel, 16 November 2006 - 01:56 PM.

#6 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:10 PM

View PostMel, on Nov 16 2006, 12:48 PM, said:

"Blue Dogs" (where does that name come from?)

I know this one! Y'know that artist who has all those paintings with the Blue Dog in 'em? Can't think of his name right now, but Rodriguez rings a bell. Well, anyway, a bunch of southern Democrats wanted to organize as a more conservative wing of the party, and they regularly met in the offices of some congressmen who had these paintings on their walls.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#7 Mel

Mel
  • Islander
  • 447 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:26 PM

View PostDrew, on Nov 16 2006, 01:10 PM, said:

View PostMel, on Nov 16 2006, 12:48 PM, said:

"Blue Dogs" (where does that name come from?)

I know this one! Y'know that artist who has all those paintings with the Blue Dog in 'em? Can't think of his name right now, but Rodriguez rings a bell. Well, anyway, a bunch of southern Democrats wanted to organize as a more conservative wing of the party, and they regularly met in the offices of some congressmen who had these paintings on their walls.
Thanks!  It's such an odd name & I couldn't come up with any logical explanation for it.

#8 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:30 PM

Dang . . . maybe that's apocryphal, . . . because on their own website, they say:

The 35 conservative and moderate Democrats in the group hail from every region of the country, although the group acknowledges some southern ancestry which accounts for the group's nickname. Taken from the South's longtime description of a party loyalist as one who would vote for a yellow dog if it were on the ballot as a Democrat, the "Blue Dog" moniker was taken by members of The Coalition because their moderate-to-conservative-views had been "choked blue" by their party in the years leading up to the 1994 election.

http://www.house.gov.../bluedogs.shtml
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#9 veganmom

veganmom
  • Islander
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:42 PM

I read the "choked" thing somewhere, too (maybe Wikipedia).

Here you go.
http://en.wikipedia....ow_dog_Democrat

It's of course a play on the moniker "yellow dog," coined during a contentious campaign in 1928. Per Wikipedia, "The term arose from an apocryphal remark that a Southerner would vote for a yellow dog before he'd vote for a Republican."

OK, so that's kinda me.  :blush:

#10 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:32 PM

View PostMel, on Nov 16 2006, 01:48 PM, said:

It may not be a snub exactly, but it does say that Pelosi's power is limited.  That may or may not indicate an inability to get a group of Democrats with widely divided politics--from the ultra-liberals to the "Blue Dogs" (where does that name come from?) of the South--to work together.  Considering they have what will (protestations aside) quite possibly be a hostile executive branch, they are going to need a unified front if they want to get things done.  

This could be a minor setback for Pelosi or a sign of more major problems and I have absolutely no idea which.  Maybe someone like Scott or MuseZack who are up on Dem politics could weigh in with their thoughts.

I honestly don't know if this is major or minor (bet Zack does, though), but I'll read up on it.  :)  

I *am* glad Murtha didn't get it, even if it was sort of owed to him for sticking his neck out on Iraq.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#11 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:49 PM

A friend of mine's into that guy's paintings... I'd wondered if there was some connection. :)  I figured it was just a new twist on the old "yellow dog Democrat" thing.  I'm not sure where "yellow dog" came from, but I know quite a few older Southerners who claim to be "yellow dog Democrats."  I think it just means "die hard" or somethin'.

Ah - wanna know somethin', do a Yahoo search - link.

Basically, a self-professed Yellow Dog Democrat would prefer to vote for a yellow dog than vote for a Republican candidate.

Hmm... that gives a different explanation for Blue Dog -

In 1995, a group of Democrats in the House of Representatives began calling themselves Blue Dog Democrats to indicate that they had been choked blue by the dominance of liberals in the Democratic Party.

...but that doesn't discount the painter story. :)

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#12 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:23 PM

Hmm. Wikipedia has the painting story under their entry for Blue Dog Democrats, and you know if it's on Wikipedia, it has to be true!!

#13 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:28 PM

Stephen Colbert proved the accuracy of Wikipedia!  While getting a lot of people banned from it, I think.  On the other hand, he saved a lot of animals from extinction, if only theorhetically... :)

I believe both stories, though... I think Democrats who felt choked by the liberal wing of the party met in an office with Blue Dog paintings. It's feasible! :)

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#14 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:36 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Nov 16 2006, 12:05 PM, said:

My reaction:

*whew!*

Good call. And it wasn't close.

Nothing personal against Murtha. But the voters made it clear that they're tired of corruption and Murtha's still tainted from Abscam and may possibly be involved in another scandal after the opposition goes over his connections with a fine-toothed comb.

What Specs said!  :)  And I don't think this will cause any problems for Pelosi, she showed loyalty to her friend even though she had to know there wasn't a chance in hell of him getting the job.  Steny Hoyer will be good for the party and doesn't have the baggage that Murtha does and Hoyer is moderate.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#15 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:42 PM

I'm confused.

WASHINGTON - House Democrats on Thursday chose Maryland Rep. Steny Hoyer to be House majority leader over Rep. John Murtha, the choice of Rep. Nancy Pelosi, in line to become speaker.

Why do the democrats get to pick the republican house majority leader? for that matter, why didn't they pick a democrat house majority leader?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#16 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:51 PM

Rep. is short for Representative, not Republican.  It is confusing, I have been confused myself byit.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#17 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:52 PM

right, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks Gigi

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#18 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:53 PM

^ Hiya Gode. :)

The "Rep" stands for "Representative" not "Republican." And Murtha and Hoyer and all are Democrats.

If you see Rep. Hoyer, that means Representative Hoyer. Lots of times you'll see stuff like Rep. Hoyer, D-Maryland--which indicates that the Representative is a Democrat from Maryland, or wherever.

Make sense?
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#19 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 06:01 PM

It does, it's just that BBC 24 hour news lists them as 'rep' and 'dem',

You can probably understand my confusion :)

Defy Gravity!

#20 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

Water's wet; sky's blue; and Satan Clause is out there.

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 06:04 PM

^Don't feel bad.  I've tried to read a biography of Churchill and how England's parliament works confuzzles me.

Rose: [disgusted] Oh, look at what the cat dragged in: "The Oncoming Storm."

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

Sometimes the best causes worth fighting for are lost causes. -- Me.

Formerly Known as "Lost Cause."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: House of Representatives, 2006, Steny Hoyer [D-MD], Majority Leader, Democrats

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users