• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 06:16 PM

Oops. I see GiGi beat me to it. :)
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#22 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 08:59 PM

No surprises. I would have been stunned if Murtha had won. He's too polazrizing. Pelosi should have known better than to even try it.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#23 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 11:03 PM

From tomorrow's NYTimes editorial:

Nancy Pelosi has managed to severely scar her leadership even before taking up the gavel as the new speaker of the House. First, she played politics with the leadership of the House Intelligence Committee to settle an old score and a new debt. And then she put herself in a lose-lose position by trying to force a badly tarnished ally, Representative John Murtha, on the incoming Democratic Congress as majority leader. The party caucus put a decisive end to that gambit yesterday, giving the No. 2 job to Steny Hoyer, a longtime Pelosi rival.

Guess they think it's serious.

Edited by ScottEVill, 16 November 2006 - 11:04 PM.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#24 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 11:46 PM

Pelosi will never manage to hold together what effectively amounts to a Coalition Party if she behaves in this manner.  This is what happens when you put a liberal in charge of what is effectively a broad coalition.  She has already managed to alienate her moderate base and got a big up yours from them.  

Now if the Republicans play it smart they’ll undermine her by supporting similar programs to what the conservative Democrats want and Pelosi doesn’t want.  The Republicans may not have enough votes to win anything by themselves but if they play it right they can probably exploit the divisions in the Democrats
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#25 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 07:34 AM

I had the feeling that the Murtha vote was a set up all along. It was a bone thrown to the moderates in the party, those of us that don’t think too much of Murtha’s “phased withdrawal.” I think Pelosi, knowing full well that Murtha would not win, was paying an old debt so she would not have to vote Murtha’s way in the future. There are liberals and then there are “liberal[s] for the stay.” Murtha seams to be a hard bitten real liberal where Pelosi comes across as a “liberal for the stay,” someone that’s going to say what she thinks will get her elected in her district, at least more so then you average politician.

Things are not always what they seem....
Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#26 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

Water's wet; sky's blue; and Satan Clause is out there.

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 09:28 AM

View Postemsparks, on Nov 17 2006, 06:34 AM, said:

I had the feeling that the Murtha vote was a set up all along. It was a bone thrown to the moderates in the party, those of us that don't think too much of Murtha's "phased withdrawal." I think Pelosi, knowing full well that Murtha would not win, was paying an old debt so she would not have to vote Murtha's way in the future. There are liberals and then there are "liberal[s] for the stay." Murtha seams to be a hard bitten real liberal where Pelosi comes across as a "liberal for the stay," someone that's going to say what she thinks will get her elected in her district, at least more so then you average politician.

Things are not always what they seem....

Actually, if you look at Murtha's voting record, he's more of a moderate to conservative Democrat.  
See:  
http://www.ontheissu...John_Murtha.htm

a quote I used from the Washington Post.

http://www.ontheissu...Steny_Hoyer.htm

Hoyer's actually more liberal than Murtha.  As for the Iraq war, Murtha's just been vocal probably because of, as Zack pointed out, his connections with upper echelon DoD brass.

Edited by Lost Cause, 17 November 2006 - 09:28 AM.

Rose: [disgusted] Oh, look at what the cat dragged in: "The Oncoming Storm."

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

Sometimes the best causes worth fighting for are lost causes. -- Me.

Formerly Known as "Lost Cause."

#27 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 10:12 AM

View PostCJ AEGIS, on Nov 16 2006, 11:46 PM, said:

Pelosi will never manage to hold together what effectively amounts to a Coalition Party if she behaves in this manner.  This is what happens when you put a liberal in charge of what is effectively a broad coalition.  She has already managed to alienate her moderate base and got a big up yours from them.  

Now if the Republicans play it smart they’ll undermine her by supporting similar programs to what the conservative Democrats want and Pelosi doesn’t want.  The Republicans may not have enough votes to win anything by themselves but if they play it right they can probably exploit the divisions in the Democrats

That would be fine by me because then moderate economic populism would probably rule. :) However, don't forget that the Republicans aren't the most united party either:

http://www.post-gaze...1/739113-85.stm

And when you think about it, the moderates and conservatives in the Democratic party combined tend to outnumber the "liberals"--whatever they are, anyway. It's been that way for quite some time, actually.

The Democrats have always been a pretty big "big tent" party, hence their famous in-fighting. The GOP has been more successful in projecting a unified voice thanks largely to Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and others in a well-organized PR machine. But there are essential conflicts among libertarian Republicans (small government, low taxes), social conservative Republicans (God, abortion, gays, guns), and neoconservatives (expansion of the American empire for the good of the planet).

Given the divergent views within BOTH parties, it's interesting to wonder just what makes up party affiliation....

Edited by Spectacles, 17 November 2006 - 10:13 AM.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: House of Representatives, 2006, Steny Hoyer [D-MD], Majority Leader, Democrats

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users