• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#1 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 12:03 PM

Here's the link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15824096/

Alright, my position definately isn't going to be Politically Correct, but I can't blame the airline here...or the other passengers who got nervous. If I was getting on a plane, and I saw some muslims getting on the same flight, all of a sudden, start getting down on their knees and praying, I would get nervous. And I would have probably told the flight attendant, either they get on a different flight, or I do...you choose.

And as for "cultural sensitivity"...these muslims have to realize that works both ways. Especially after 9-11.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#2 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 12:08 PM

When are we gonna stop being afraid of Muslims?

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#3 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 12:10 PM

View PostScottEVill, on Nov 22 2006, 12:08 PM, said:

So I'm guessing you would've had no problem with them praying like that, and getting on the same flight as you?
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#4 Nayto

Nayto

Professional zombie

• Islander
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 12:16 PM

View PostScottEVill, on Nov 22 2006, 12:08 PM, said:

America will stop fearing Muslism when they stop fearing change and difference of opinions. This whole nation-wide paranoia bit is a result of an inability to comprehend that America is not the only "way of life" out there. The populous has always feared Muslims, even before the incidents with terrorism. Societies often cannot understand difference - America is no different. However, it is also a nation that wishes to constantly justify itself. 9/11 is all the justification that this society needs in order to loathe a different culture.

It's sad, but true.
Posted Image

Image copywrite @ Amanda Carney

#5 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

Water's wet; sky's blue; and Satan Clause is out there.

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 12:24 PM

According to a news cast I heard last night, their praying wasn't the only thing that got people's attention.  The six men split up into pairs and sat in unassigned seats through the plane.  Y'all know as well as I do seats on a plane (unless you're flying SW Airlines) aren't first-come-first-serve.  

And as much as y'all say we shouldn't be afraid of Muslims, let's remember this:  What we're exhibiting as a people in this country (hypervigilence) is a by-product of terrorism.  The terror that Muslim extremists who flew four planes into buildings or the ground 5 years ago still resonates in this country.  It's way too freakin' early for us to get over it yet.  I can't imagine any sane person telling a shell-shock victim, "Get up!  Shellin's over!  You're alright!" and not noticing that the poor grunt can't move, think, or operate without ducking at every banging sound he hears.  That's what we're suffering from right now.  It's too early for the collective PTSD to have worn off.  The fact that it could happen anytime, anywhere, and you'd be in the mix, is what has people on edge.

Rose: [disgusted] Oh, look at what the cat dragged in: "The Oncoming Storm."

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

Sometimes the best causes worth fighting for are lost causes. -- Me.

Formerly Known as "Lost Cause."

#6 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 12:44 PM

ccording to a news cast I heard last night, their praying wasn't the only thing that got people's attention. The six men split up into pairs and sat in unassigned seats through the plane. Y'all know as well as I do seats on a plane (unless you're flying SW Airlines) aren't first-come-first-serve.

That wasn't part of any of the three news casts I saw last night.

And yes, if I were going to get on a plane at all, praying in the terminal would be the last thing to worry about. People who are going to blow up a plne, or whatever, probably aren't going to pray publicly, like these guys did.
Can't Touch This!!

#7 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 12:55 PM

View PostKosh, on Nov 22 2006, 05:44 PM, said:

And yes, if I were going to get on a plane at all, praying in the terminal would be the last thing to worry about. People who are going to blow up a plne, or whatever, probably aren't going to pray publicly, like these guys did.

They could be praying for success and reminding Allah to get their seven virgins ready...

OK, haven't read the link yet, just commenting on your comment!
--------------------------
OK, I read it.  I can imagine that people boarding the plane were made very nervous.  The group should have tried to go to a less public place since I'm assuming the prayers were on their knees facing Mecca and such, rather than the silent prayer a Christian or maybe other religion might say with people around them unaware that they were praying.  It's unfortunate, but this sort of activity around an airport boarding gate in the US is going to arouse suspicion for quite some time.  It might have been possible for them to ask for a private area for the little time the prayers took... The airline refusing to issue or sell new tickets certainly went too far.  And a senior security person could have questioned them and then let them on the flight, so it sounds as if it was all handled very, very poorly.  So I don't blame the suspicious passengers but it could have been resolved differently...

Edited by Themis, 22 November 2006 - 01:05 PM.

Cats will never be extinct!

#8 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 12:55 PM

^Actually, Muslim terrorists pray before the act they are about to commit.  They go through, IIRC, a whole purification ritual (unlike those guys in Boston hit a strip club) before embarking on their action, which are committed in the name of Allah.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

#9 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 01:03 PM

View PostLost Cause, on Nov 22 2006, 12:55 PM, said:

^Actually, Muslim terrorists pray before the act they are about to commit.  They go through, IIRC, a whole purification ritual (unlike those guys in Boston hit a strip club) before embarking on their action, which are committed in the name of Allah.

Muslims pray five times a day. They believe that the ritual prayers help them maintain a proper relationship with their deity.

These Muslim clerics were praying loudly in a public place -- at an airport, no less. Given the anti-Muslim attitudes prevalent in the U.S., I doubt that an actual Muslim terrorist would draw attention to himself so conspicuously.

Edited by Solar Wind, 22 November 2006 - 01:21 PM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#10 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 01:36 PM

^May be, but given the continuing collective PTSD and nervousness of folk after 9/11, was this even a wise act to begin with on their part?  I'm not saying we forbid prayers in public, but, I would think those praying might consider where it is and how it might be received.

#11 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 01:41 PM

View PostLost Cause, on Nov 22 2006, 01:36 PM, said:

^May be, but given the continuing collective PTSD and nervousness of folk after 9/11, was this even a wise act to begin with on their part?  I'm not saying we forbid prayers in public, but, I would think those praying might consider where it is and how it might be received.

Personally, I'd be even less suspicious of them if they were praying than I otherwise would be since an actual terrorist would most likely be trying to blend in. So what are you going to do? Arrest all Muslims in airports? That would probably just make things more dangerous by inciting Muslim Americans to sympathize with terrorist organizations and make it less likely that Muslim Americans would come forward with information on actual terrorist plots in the future.

Edited by Solar Wind, 22 November 2006 - 01:51 PM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:

#12 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 01:47 PM

I agree with Solar Wind on this one.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#13 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 01:49 PM

View PostLost Cause, on Nov 22 2006, 12:24 PM, said:

According to a news cast I heard last night, their praying wasn't the only thing that got people's attention.  The six men split up into pairs and sat in unassigned seats through the plane.  Y'all know as well as I do seats on a plane (unless you're flying SW Airlines) aren't first-come-first-serve.

I heard that as well as that they had one way tickets, and were asking for seat belt extensions when they didn't need any.

#14 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 01:50 PM

View PostSolar Wind, on Nov 22 2006, 01:41 PM, said:

Personally, I'd be even less suspicious of them if they were praying than I otherwise would be since an actual terrorist would most likely be trying to blend in. So what are you going to do? Arrest all Muslims in airports? That would probably just make things more dangerous by inciting Muslim Americans to sympathize with terrorist organizations and make it less likely that Muslim Americans would come forward with information on actual terrorist plots in the future.

Personally, I'd be even more nervous. They could very well be praying for their GOD to take their soul on the suicide mission. Cleansing their spirit as it were. And there would be no way I would get on that plane if they were allowed on board.

#15 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 01:50 PM

^I'm not advocating anything.  I'm just one of those folk who tends to be vigiliant, almost the point of hypervigilence.  (The vigilence has been engrained since I worked jobs that required me make a living by observing.)  In fact, I made the point that it might be worthwhile for them to consider what they're doing and where they're doing it.  If it were flipped so that Christian terrorists had committed 9/11, I'd be a little hesitant to pray in an airport like usually do.  (It's usually along the lines of, "Dear God, please this plane get down without falling hard.")  I've gotten to where I can handle flying; I'm not comfortable with it at times.

#16 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 01:54 PM

View PostLORD of the SWORD, on Nov 22 2006, 01:50 PM, said:

View PostSolar Wind, on Nov 22 2006, 01:41 PM, said:

Personally, I'd be even more nervous. They could very well be praying for their GOD to take their soul on the suicide mission. Cleansing their spirit as it were. And there would be no way I would get on that plane if they were allowed on board.

If you were a Muslim terrorist, would you be praying loudly in an airport or would you be trying to make yourself as inconspicuous as possible?

FKA:

#17 Lord Martock

Lord Martock
  • Islander
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 02:04 PM

View PostSolar Wind, on Nov 22 2006, 06:41 PM, said:

That would probably just make things more dangerous by inciting Muslim Americans to sympathize with terrorist organizations and make it less likely that Muslim Americans would come forward with information on actual terrorist plots in the future.

A lot of them do sympathize with the terrorists.........I don't hear very many Muslim Leaders stepping forth and denouncing the terrorists.  Most, if not all of them, are pretty silent.
So....watching 6 Muslims start praying on a place about to take off would make me pretty nervous as well.  

Maybe, they should have thought about what the reaction would be......BEFORE they started praying.
May the Schwartz be with you.
Remember, No matter where you go....There you are.
It's a trick.....Get the Axe!

Posted Image

#18 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 02:06 PM

This has been in the news over here, and there is a little more to the story than what's given here. These six imams had just come from a convention where, according to reports, the main speaker engaged in such loud anti-U.S. rhetoric that he was disturbing other conventions at the same hotel. Also, there has been some question about the speaker's or organizer's past association with Osama bin Laden. So there were other, extenuating circumstances here that probably gave more cause to alarm authorities.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#19 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 02:17 PM

View PostLord Martock, on Nov 22 2006, 02:04 PM, said:

View PostSolar Wind, on Nov 22 2006, 06:41 PM, said:

That would probably just make things more dangerous by inciting Muslim Americans to sympathize with terrorist organizations and make it less likely that Muslim Americans would come forward with information on actual terrorist plots in the future.
A lot of them do sympathize with the terrorists.........I don't hear very many Muslim Leaders stepping forth and denouncing the terrorists.  Most, if not all of them, are pretty silent.

Muslims are doing a better job of denouncing bin Laden and al Qaeda than Christians are doing of denouncing Falwell.

http://www.post-gaze...statementp4.asp
http://www.islamfort...com/murad04.htm
http://www.washingto...25828-1853r.htm

Maybe, they should have thought about what the reaction would be......BEFORE they started praying.
Interesting that you blame the victims of discrimination rather than the people who allow prejudices and xenophobia to interfere with reason.

Edited by Solar Wind, 22 November 2006 - 02:31 PM.

FKA:

#20 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 02:17 PM

View PostLost Cause, on Nov 22 2006, 05:24 PM, said:

It's too early for the collective PTSD to have worn off.  The fact that it could happen anytime, anywhere, and you'd be in the mix, is what has people on edge.

The worst part of it is our President and the media won't LET us get over it. The news is screaming FEAR! RUN! HORROR! at us at every opportunity as we clutch our little plastic baggies in our hands waiting to get on a plane.

While I understand these guy's complaints and I sympathize with them I can only ask what did they expect to happen? They should not have been praying out in the open like that but then again we shouldn't be having a heart attack if we see a brown skined man praying. But we don't live in that world anymore and I don't think we will for a very long time:(

enTranced
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Airline, Removal of Muslims, 2006, Praying, Terrorism

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users