Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Doping in Sports

Sports Doping 2006 Chess players

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

Water's wet; sky's blue; and Satan Clause is out there.

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 01:13 PM

Chess players to face anti-doping measures

"I would not know which drug could possibly help a chess player to improve his game," competition manager Yousuf Ahmad Ali said.  "But, yes, there will be official monitors who may demand that players undergo a drugs test after the rounds."

I guess we need to watch out for those nerdy looking folk like me who play chess going off on 'roid rage, huh?

Rose: [disgusted] Oh, look at what the cat dragged in: "The Oncoming Storm."

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

Sometimes the best causes worth fighting for are lost causes. -- Me.

Formerly Known as "Lost Cause."

#2 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:34 PM

Good grief.

:hehe:
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#3 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:33 PM

Hehe, 'roid rage :rolleyes:

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#4 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 07:51 PM

This is the dumbest thing I've heard in a longggggggggg time.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:16 PM

View PostLost Cause, on Nov 30 2006, 01:13 PM, said:

"I would not know which drug could possibly help a chess player to improve his game," competition manager Yousuf Ahmad Ali said.  "But, yes, there will be official monitors who may demand that players undergo a drugs test after the rounds."

I guess we need to watch out for those nerdy looking folk like me who play chess going off on 'roid rage, huh?

I guess that would explain your yellow eyes.  :D
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#6 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:19 PM

View PostLin731, on Nov 30 2006, 07:51 PM, said:

This is the dumbest thing I've heard in a longggggggggg time.

Well there are other drugs out there than steroids, uppers and caffeine are just as bad as steroids in their own way.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#7 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:44 PM

View PostLost Cause, on Nov 30 2006, 12:13 PM, said:

Mark:  :ermm:  Uh....Yep!  I'd say there were lot's of dopes in that sport!  :nod:
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#8 Eclipse

Eclipse

Preview Guy

• Islander
  • 831 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:44 PM

I was taking Ginko-Biloba to improve my memory while playing chess,
but unfortunately, I can't remember where I left it and now I can't remember where I left my chess set either.

:sarcasm:
Ashley Edward Miller said:
"Eclipse ...hmmmm .... for a minute, I thought you were someone important,
but, now I remember .... you're just that preview guy."

#9 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:50 PM

Chess players would probably take speed to artificially improve their game.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#10 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:58 PM

^I would have thought, though, that an upper like that would potentially force mistakes a chess player cannot afford to make.  I've always heard that patience was key in that game.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

#11 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 02:09 PM

I would think that's a danger for anyone doping with any performance enhancing substance.  In this case, you think faster -- which means you can evaluate a greater number of potential courses of action -- but you might pull the trigger on one before you've properly thought it through.

#12 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 02:14 PM

That would be my concern as a chess player (and I play sporadically).  If you don't consider all courses of action properly, one that looks good (and boy do they all!) could be your undoing quickly.

#13 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 03:31 PM

Hmm....well, when my brother was in his addictive phase, he always thought he played chess better with small amounts of cocaine. I thought he was nuts.

I doubt there's anything that could enhance your chess performance without making you trigger-happy.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#14 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 03:41 PM

View PostRhea, on Dec 1 2006, 12:31 PM, said:

Hmm....well, when my brother was in his addictive phase, he always thought he played chess better with small amounts of cocaine. I thought he was nuts.

I doubt there's anything that could enhance your chess performance without making you trigger-happy.

Hmm what about anti-ADHD stuff?  That seems to help increase concentration and focus.  Could help with chess.

"There are monsters, there are angels...
There's a peacefulness and a rage inside us all."
----------------------------------
Voice of the Beehive

#15 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 04:15 PM

I had a buddy that used to call 5 milligrams of Valum "Work Inducers". He was one heck of a chess player. I only managed to win one match from him. I was pretty stoned at the time. I focased on each piece, one at a time, for the entire match, before deciding on the next move.
Can't Touch This!!

#16 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:09 PM

View PostRobert Hewitt Wolfe, on Dec 1 2006, 12:41 PM, said:

View PostRhea, on Dec 1 2006, 12:31 PM, said:

Hmm what about anti-ADHD stuff?  That seems to help increase concentration and focus.  Could help with chess.

I'm happy to say little brother doesn't do chemicals any more, and he's been clean for about 15 years now. I'm so proud.

I'm not sure but what Ritalin and stuff like that wouldn't have really weird effects on somebody whose chemistry wasn't already out of whack. Orph would know.

I knew a mom who got addicted to her kid's Ritalin. She thought she was being twice as efficent, but actually she was about four times as crazy. :p Certainly didn't improve HER chess performance. ;) Not that she ever played. It may have been a psychological dependency, but it was very real to her. :eek:

Edited by Rhea, 01 December 2006 - 08:12 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#17 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:16 PM

View PostRhea, on Dec 1 2006, 08:09 PM, said:

I'm not sure but what Ritalin and stuff like that wouldn't have really weird effects on somebody whose chemistry wasn't already out of whack. Orph would know.

Did you mean that to be funny?  :devil:

The stats on questionable prescription of ritalin are alarming -- A significant percentage (maybe even a majority) probably don't have to be on it.  A lot of times, they're just hyper kids whose parents want help dealing with them.  So, hey, why not get them addicted to speed-y drugs young?  Next step: crystal!

#18 Raina

Raina

Cpt. Raina 'Starlee'

• Validation Team
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 05:34 AM

^the scary thing is that Ritalin can even make people more hyper.

I was on it to deal with my ADD for a while (I've been clean for almost 2 years now), and while it did help me focus better, it made me incredibly hyper and jittery.

"First thing they tell you is to assume you're already dead... dead men don't get scared or freeze up under fire. Me, I'm just worried that hell's gonna be a lonely place. And I'm gonna fill it up with every toaster son of a bitch I find." -Racetrack

"I believe what goes around comes around and if I am the instrument of 'coming round' then I'll do it happily. " -Shal

Viper Squadron CAG
Roman Warrior
Browncoat

#19 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 10:48 AM

Actually Ritalin is prescribed by Doctors of the elderly in nursing homes to give em a little get up and go.

I've read were the children who benefit from the Ritalin actually are having an "allergic" reaction to it-instead of being hyper they act the opposite.

Sort of like how some people act differently when they drink liquor.  Liquor is a relaxant...but some people get absolutely wild and hyper when they get to drinking the whiskey.

In other words all of us have different bodies with different reactions. :wacko:

Edited by Hibblette, 02 December 2006 - 10:48 AM.

"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#20 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 12:00 PM

Beta Blockers where the drug of choice for orchestra musician, it makes you focus and blocks out all other distractions.

Ginkgo Biloba stimulates the neural net and I use it to sweep the fog a way when ever it invades my head or if I'm going to an auction and I want a leg up on the competition. You have to be sharp to keep up with a motor mouth auctioneer.

Either of these drugs are used to enhance mental agility without sending you off the deep end, when not abused.
7 verses I know you're there behind the veil.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sports, Doping, 2006, Chess players

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users