Jump to content


Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Angry Driver Kills Pranking Teen

Crime Teenager pranks Parenting skills

  • Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 mjtian

mjtian
  • Islander
  • 897 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 06:05 PM

Although I never condone violence, this tragic ending perhaps can show America that we need better parenting skills as well.  Not too long ago, I was on the receiving end of some wild teenagers' fascination with throwing eggs at oncoming vehicles one late evening.  Needless to say, my response during that moment was too explict to post on this board.  This is a needless act that we should all make clear to our kids to not do.  Among many other parenting challenges that we all face or will one day face, this tragic story perhaps can prevent future similar stories if we all step up and do something about out parenting skills.


mjtian
"I have missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game winning shot... and missed. And I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why... I succeed" -Michael Jordan

#2 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

    In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 06:47 PM

The shooter should receive the harshest punishment under the law.  :angry: That being said...

I, too, have been on the receiving end of eggs, both in a car and on a bike. Years ago I was driving a cab, and was looking to the right before I crossed an intersection. I got nailed on the side of the head with an egg. I quickly looked around to see who did it, but whoever did it had already disappeared. I had to drive home and shower that crap out of my hair, which took a good 15 minutes of scrubbing. Egg yolk dries up quickly and gets hard REAL fast.  :glare:

Quote

Although I never condone violence, this tragic ending perhaps can show America that we need better parenting skills as well. Not too long ago, I was on the receiving end of some wild teenagers' fascination with throwing eggs at oncoming vehicles one late evening. Needless to say, my response during that moment was too explict to post on this board. This is a needless act that we should all make clear to our kids to not do. Among many other parenting challenges that we all face or will one day face, this tragic story perhaps can prevent future similar stories if we all step up and do something about out parenting skills.

(emphasis mine)

What I bold-faced is exactly why that will ***NEVER*** come to pass. Too many parents lack the skills. And there are parents that get absolutely livid at anyone who tries to discipline their kids, stubbornly sticking to their belief that "my child isn't capable of doing that." Some parents will get furious enough to inflict violence themselves.

The fact is-people by and large just aren't very bright. :( We have to live with what other parents bring up-like it or not-and manage the best we can. :(
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#3 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 07:39 PM

The kids are bored - and they go through phases like this. They know what they are doing is wrong for the most part- and most of them will grow out of it. But it's not just about parenting, imo.

Why are the kids throwing eggs? They have nothing better to do. And of course that's no excuse - it's not meant as one. Kids don't think like adults - it's just part of the reason, and imo it's that reason that needs to be addressed.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#4 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

    Where's the rum?

  • Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 07:43 PM

Kid should've known better than to throw eggs at strangers.  He could have been run down, or even stabbed.  In this case a gun was used.  I find myself feeling indifferent about this.  No act goes without consequence.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#5 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

    In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 07:44 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on Dec 3 2006, 07:39 PM, said:

The kids are bored - and they go through phases like this. They know what they are doing is wrong for the most part- and most of them will grow out of it. But it's not just about parenting, imo.

Why are the kids throwing eggs? They have nothing better to do. And of course that's no excuse - it's not meant as one. Kids don't think like adults - it's just part of the reason, and imo it's that reason that needs to be addressed.

Sparky

Odd...I never did stuff like that when I was a teen, nor did the friends I knew. Sorry-I don't buy that "phase" POV. Sure, I wasn't an adult, but I knew better than to do something that stupid.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#6 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 07:55 PM

Like I say, DM - I'm not using that to excuse their behaviour. Actually I mean it in a factual sense. MOST of the kids who do this kind of stuff when they're younger do not become hardened criminals when they are older. And, like I say - they know it's wrong too. Doesn't stop them from doing it, and we should be asking ourselves why that is. Imo.

Sparky

PS - Whenever I call you DM I think 'Danger Mouse' :D I hope you don't mind...if it helps, Danger Mouse is the coolest.

...I'm not helping my credibility here am I? :unsure:

Edited by SparkyCola, 03 December 2006 - 07:55 PM.

Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#7 Cheile

Cheile

    proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

  • Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 10:39 PM

while i don't condone the brats throwing eggs, shooting back at them doesn't solve the problem either.  why not follow them home and then confront their parents with the cops behind you.  if that doesn't work, take the parents to court.  (doesn't egg damage a car's paint job?)

that whole "two wrongs don't make a right" bit.

Posted Image


"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#8 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 10:54 PM

View PostCheile, on Dec 3 2006, 10:39 PM, said:

while i don't condone the brats throwing eggs, shooting back at them doesn't solve the problem either.  why not follow them home and then confront their parents with the cops behind you.  if that doesn't work, take the parents to court.  (doesn't egg damage a car's paint job?)

that whole "two wrongs don't make a right" bit.

Why? Because like DM said, some parents will always believe their kids can do no wrong. And when it comes right down to it, it is your word against their kids....no proof except for egg on your car, and no proof it was their little angel that did it.

I've had my car egged, and when it happened I stomped on the brakes, and if I could've caught the kids that did it...They would remember it for the rest of their life. So the fact that one got killed because of it, doesn't surprise me. And quite frankly, I can't feel sorry for the prick.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#9 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

    In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:00 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on Dec 3 2006, 07:55 PM, said:

Like I say, DM - I'm not using that to excuse their behaviour. Actually I mean it in a factual sense. MOST of the kids who do this kind of stuff when they're younger do not become hardened criminals when they are older. And, like I say - they know it's wrong too. Doesn't stop them from doing it, and we should be asking ourselves why that is. Imo.

Sparky

PS - Whenever I call you DM I think 'Danger Mouse' :D I hope you don't mind...if it helps, Danger Mouse is the coolest.

...I'm not helping my credibility here am I? :unsure:

Wow-Danger Mouse...now that's a cartoon I haven't seen in nearly 20 years!!  :eek: :eek2:  :eek4: Back in the 1980s, when I was into Anime, the local chapter of the CFO New York (Cartoon/Fantasy Organization-the first major nationwide Anime club, no longer around), showed episodes of Danger Mouse. They were kewl.  :cool:  :cool:

I am somewhat dangerous, so I don't mind.  :devil:

Edited by Digital Man, 03 December 2006 - 11:01 PM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#10 Cheile

Cheile

    proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

  • Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:01 PM

LOTS, you apparently missed the second half of what i said:

why not follow them home and then confront their parents with the cops behind you. if that doesn't work, take the parents to court. (doesn't egg damage a car's paint job?)

after all they can't ignore a summons or a lawsuit, since any judge with brains will side with the driver and punish the brats and their parents.

Edited by Cheile, 03 December 2006 - 11:05 PM.

Posted Image


"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#11 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:04 PM

Mark: Eggs? Eggs are nothing!   :no:  :tomato:
Back in the day, kids across the street from me were throwing BRICKS from an alley over a hedge row, and attempting to hit cars passing by on the road running parallel to the alley .  :eh: I watched those kids get caught one day :blink: ...unfortunately the driver thought I had also been in on the "action" because I was guilty by association.  :unsure:
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#12 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

    In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:29 PM

View PostMark, on Dec 3 2006, 11:04 PM, said:

Mark: Eggs? Eggs are nothing!   :no:  :tomato:
Back in the day, kids across the street from me were throwing BRICKS from an alley over a hedge row, and attempting to hit cars passing by on the road running parallel to the alley .  :eh: I watched those kids get caught one day :blink: ...unfortunately the driver thought I had also been in on the "action" because I was guilty by association.  :unsure:

I'll top that one.

Try a 20 pound frozen turkey.  :crazy:

This one found its target, and put the driver in the hospital. This was out in Long Island, New York. Read the story and see pictures. :(
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#13 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

    Where's the rum?

  • Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:48 PM

View PostLORD of the SWORD, on Dec 3 2006, 07:54 PM, said:

View PostCheile, on Dec 3 2006, 10:39 PM, said:

while i don't condone the brats throwing eggs, shooting back at them doesn't solve the problem either.  why not follow them home and then confront their parents with the cops behind you.  if that doesn't work, take the parents to court.  (doesn't egg damage a car's paint job?)

that whole "two wrongs don't make a right" bit.

Why? Because like DM said, some parents will always believe their kids can do no wrong. And when it comes right down to it, it is your word against their kids....no proof except for egg on your car, and no proof it was their little angel that did it.

I've had my car egged, and when it happened I stomped on the brakes, and if I could've caught the kids that did it...They would remember it for the rest of their life. So the fact that one got killed because of it, doesn't surprise me. And quite frankly, I can't feel sorry for the prick.

My sentiments eggs-actly. ;)

Eggs are actually harmful to your cars paint.  It will eat up the finish, and even the paint itself if it isn't washed off soon.

To think that a person can do things like this (or worse) in life, and expect to get away with it unscathed is foolish.  There is some one always out there who is either going to get you back, or is meaner than you are.  So choose wisely what you do is the advice I give to all the punks out there.

Edited by Spidey, 03 December 2006 - 11:49 PM.

Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#14 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 01:43 AM

View PostCheile, on Dec 3 2006, 11:01 PM, said:

LOTS, you apparently missed the second half of what i said:

why not follow them home and then confront their parents with the cops behind you. if that doesn't work, take the parents to court. (doesn't egg damage a car's paint job?)

after all they can't ignore a summons or a lawsuit, since any judge with brains will side with the driver and punish the brats and their parents.

I didn't miss the last part. In court you have to have PROOF. You word against there's doesn't cut it in court. A decent defense attorney would argue that when it happened you just followed the first kids you saw, not necessarily the ones that did it. And there would be no way to dispute that.

I'm not saying it wouldn't work...With some parents it would. But for the most part I can see the parents saying: "Oh you must be mistaken, my child would never do something like that."

And even if you had a cop appear with you. Cop is going to be straight up and tell you it's your word vs. there. And with no proof other then that, I can't see a judge siding with the victim.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#15 Cheile

Cheile

    proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

  • Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 02:45 AM

was thinking more like small claims court since i don't think a jury or attorneys would be needed to handle such a case.

Posted Image


"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#16 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

    Where's the rum?

  • Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 02:51 AM

Doesn't matter, the burdon of proof lies on the victim.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#17 Tricia

Tricia

    To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

  • Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 09:34 AM

View PostLORD of the SWORD, on Dec 4 2006, 12:43 AM, said:

View PostCheile, on Dec 3 2006, 11:01 PM, said:

LOTS, you apparently missed the second half of what i said:

why not follow them home and then confront their parents with the cops behind you. if that doesn't work, take the parents to court. (doesn't egg damage a car's paint job?)

after all they can't ignore a summons or a lawsuit, since any judge with brains will side with the driver and punish the brats and their parents.

I didn't miss the last part. In court you have to have PROOF. You word against there's doesn't cut it in court. A decent defense attorney would argue that when it happened you just followed the first kids you saw, not necessarily the ones that did it. And there would be no way to dispute that.

I'm not saying it wouldn't work...With some parents it would. But for the most part I can see the parents saying: "Oh you must be mistaken, my child would never do something like that."

And even if you had a cop appear with you. Cop is going to be straight up and tell you it's your word vs. there. And with no proof other then that, I can't see a judge siding with the victim.


I don't think proof would even convince some parents that their child is not some innocent soul anyway...or convince them that their child did do something wrong.

Many school buses now have video cameras on them...I know that ours do around here.  

And those cameras have captured video of fights, throwing of spitballs etc.  

But even when confronted with video of their lil darlin' attacking and beating the crud out of some other kid, some parents still deny their child's guilt and/or involvement.  

That said there are consequences to actions and kids should be taught that even tho most people might just do nothing or yell at them....there are always going to be the persons who overreact or totally lose it and shoot back or hurt them.

It's an overreaction but in a world where we hear about road rage and drive- bys etc, the possibility of death for doing somehting like egging a car is very real.  Because you just never know when you find that one in a million who will shoot you for egging them.  Or looking at them the wrong way.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh


You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to


Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.


#18 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

    Water's wet; sky's blue; and Satan Clause is out there.

  • Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:11 AM

I'm not more than 12 years removed from pranking ways, and I work with that age group of a regular basis, so I know what they are capable of. However, I think what needs to be said is this:

While the egging of a car is destructive vandalism ('cause it can ruin a nice paint job), it is not deadly force. Once the guys in the SUV realized what had happened and who did it, they opted to chase down these kids anyways. And when one of them pulled a gun out and fatally shot one of the little prankers, then the situation went from a small claims court issue to a criminal court issue. At best it's manslaughter 1; at worst, murder 2.

I know y'all are interested in the issue of parenting.  My folks are good, decent people.  My old man's a preacher, my mother a housewife.  Now, I was sneaking out of my house my senior year in H.S. to go play pranks on folk, and I pretty well got away with it.  I was also playing around RR tracks (nearly fell into a train once :crazy:) and did a lot of other things as well.  And my folks were good parents; instilled solid values into me that hold to this very day.  But, does my prankish ways reflect on their parenting or my desire to get into trouble?  There is some point where we have to say, "Kids are kids," and let them suffer the consequences.  That's how kids become adults.  But what can be said (on the other hand) about the parenting of the guy involved in shooting a teenager?  If we're gonna start passing judgment on the parents of the "eggers," we're gonna have to (reasonably) start passing in judgment on the parents of the killer.  

Frankly, while I'd be pretty damned irritated at the kids if they had egged my car.  But, I'm more appalled at the behavior of the ADULT in this situation.  I wonder more and more what our society's becoming when people more easily resort to killing each other over arguments, disputes, and failed lane changes.  Now, we're gunning kids down for egging passing cars?  

For the little brats, fair would've been spending a few weekends of community service, preferably washing police cruisers, for free.  Fair is a not a bullet in return for an egg.

Edited by Lost Cause, 04 December 2006 - 10:11 AM.

Rose: [disgusted] Oh, look at what the cat dragged in: "The Oncoming Storm."

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne


Sometimes the best causes worth fighting for are lost causes. -- Me.

Formerly Known as "Lost Cause."


#19 Nonny

Nonny

    Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

  • Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:25 AM

I vaguely remember my mother advising us against throwing eggs, but soaping windows instead.  Of course, with soap you have to get right up there, so you only do it to parked cars, and of course this was only done on Halloween.  And you used soap and not wax, so it would wash off easily.  This was back in the days when we had only three channels of tv and just about everybody watched Leave It To Beaver and Ozzie and Harriet.  :p

Sure wish she'd given me accurate and reliable information about sex instead.  Maybe she didn't have any.  :oh:

Nonny
Posted Image


The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#20 Bobby

Bobby

    FKA LiberalBob

  • Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:30 AM

What Lost Cause said!



Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Crime, Teenager pranks, Parenting skills

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users