110 replies to this topic

#101 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 02:07 PM

View PostMark, on Dec 6 2006, 01:21 AM, said:

I drive in the Dallas metropolitan area a whole lot . . .

My sympathies.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#102 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 03:10 PM

View PostGiGi, on Dec 4 2006, 10:13 PM, said:

^ I am not saying it justifies murder, of course not.  Only that road rage is a real thing and one is playing with fire by doing something that is potentially quite harmful well beyond a messed up paint job.

I think road rage is inexcusable, and we've justified it by giving it attention and talking about triggers, etc., instead of prosecuting people who give into it to the full extent of the law. It is NEVER ok.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#103 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 03:12 PM

View PostGiGi, on Dec 6 2006, 10:53 AM, said:

View PostCheile, on Dec 5 2006, 11:06 PM, said:

heh GiGi, i'm not as far down south as you think ;) (i'm in the Mojave Desert area) BUT i can vouch for the insane traffic in the LA area.
Okay, but isn't that close to LA?  At least relative to where I am up here in the Bay area.  Once I get past Paso Robles all of that area is "down south" to me.  ;)

HAHAHA @ Paso Robles being "down south".

i wouldn't necessarily call it close ;)  usually to get anywhere in LA (LAX, Anaheim, where my friend lives in Stanton) is a three hour drive, barring any bad traffic on the 5, 10 or 210.  to me, the hour and half drive to Lancaster/Palmdale (i.e. the nearest mall) is "close". ;)

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#104 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 04:29 PM

View PostMark, on Dec 5 2006, 05:41 PM, said:

Mark:
My windshield gets hit by rocks slung out from gravel truck's tires all the time. In fact, many people have their windshields broken each year due to this problem. The rock is much more potentially harmfull than an egg. Do you realize that the trucking companies cannot be held liable for breaking your windshield? Some of these rocks kicked  up by truck tires are big enough, and traveling at enough velocity to actually kill people, so why aren't truckers being run down and shot?

Difference being that the rock kicked up by the truck's tires isn't intentional. Throwing stuff at a moving car is VERY intentional.

Look, I'm by no means saying that the kid deserved to be killed because of it. But in no way is this kid totally innocent.

We seem to have broken down into two camps here...Those who think "Kids will be Kids" "Money=meaningless" and throwing stuff at a car is just a prank.

And those who understand the driver's anger, not his actions, and who don't see throwing things at a moving car as just a harmless prank.

So with that, I'm out of this thread. I think we pretty much beat this horse to death.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#105 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 04:50 PM

Mark: My windshield gets hit by rocks slung out from gravel truck's tires all the time. In fact, many people have their windshields broken each year due to this problem.

Had mine cracked that way once. But LOS has already answered.
Can't Touch This!!

#106 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 06:09 PM

View PostDigital Man, on Dec 5 2006, 09:03 PM, said:

View PostRhea, on Dec 5 2006, 11:24 PM, said:

Sorry, Saul, but I disagree with you in the STRONGEST TERMS.

There's just no excuse for murder, especially not in this circumstance.

I said I wouldn't come back to this thread, but...

Find where I wrote that this kid deserved to get murdered.

:crazy:

I apologize. You said murder wasn't justified, but everything you wrote after that about the seriousness of the offense, etc., made it sound as though it sort of was.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#107 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 06:26 PM

View PostRhea, on Dec 6 2006, 06:09 PM, said:

View PostDigital Man, on Dec 5 2006, 09:03 PM, said:

View PostRhea, on Dec 5 2006, 11:24 PM, said:

Sorry, Saul, but I disagree with you in the STRONGEST TERMS.

There's just no excuse for murder, especially not in this circumstance.

I said I wouldn't come back to this thread, but...

Find where I wrote that this kid deserved to get murdered.

I apologize. You said murder wasn't justified, but everything you wrote after that about the seriousness of the offense, etc., made it sound as though it sort of was.

Apology accepted.

As I said-the f**ker who killed this kid should rot. Absolutely. It was TOTALLY uncalled for. The killer should get the MAXIMUM punishment the law allows.

However, as I said before-egging someone has the potential to become DEADLY. If I had actually been in the process of driving into the intersection when that egg hit me, I could have had an accident, or killed someone.  :crazy: Egging things/people  NEEDS TO BE NIPPED IN THE BUD FROM THE START. This type of prank MAY start out harmless-but that's a bullsh!t excuse. It starts off with hitting parked cars. No harm, no foul. Then, it escalates. To the kid, IF NO ONE GETS HURT, NO HARM, NO FOUL. Then, we go to moving cars, buses-cyclists, motorcyclists.

But as long as no one gets hurt-no harm, no foul-right? Riiiiiiiiight.  :sarcasm:  :glare:

Not to mention-egging is a waste of food.  :sarcasm:

(edited for spelling)

Edited by Digital Man, 06 December 2006 - 06:30 PM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#108 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 07:33 PM

See I don't like being classified here.

I'm not a person who says kids will be kids.

I don't believe in even saying "anally retentive people will be anally retentive..."

Not an excuse ever.

The facts are yes the kid and kids who do these things could cause accidents.

Yes it's maddening.

But...

The guy was still alive after the egging.  All he needed to do was wash his car off.

Then take a deep breath and say thank god they weren't gangsters with guns.

One morning I woke up and got ready for work and went out to get into my car and there was a styrofoam bowl on my car where it had been thrown with Spaghetti on it.  It was disheartening.  There I was all ready for the day and I was going to have to clean this off-possibly end up getting either spaghetti sauce or water on my clothes.

Sure I had an idea it was kids that knew my son but I didn't start acting like Dirty Harry.  Is it because I'm a woman, actually I don't think so...some women can be very anal about such things.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#109 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 07:38 PM

I disagree with the classifications put forth as well, but I thought of Mark's post - and I think that this topic has pretty much run it's course, really.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#110 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 07:56 PM

I agree
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#111 Heropa

Heropa

Phantom of the Obtuse - Pubic Defender

• Islander
  • 474 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 05:23 PM

In that life is a lesson, so to is death. It has given pause to pranksters about strangers.

Here we have a lesson in disrespect and assaulting property. This malicious act showed no respect for the driver's property nor the driver. This is also the most extreme reason to give respect- You never know who's willing to kill you.

One of the problems I see is this mentality of "Ownage".
Your Heropa.
Here for something- there you go.

If you can't say anything nice, be accurate.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Crime, Teenager pranks, Parenting skills

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users