Tornado Hits Northwest London

Natural Disasters 2006 London Tornado

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:00 AM

Tornado damages northwest London

A tornado Thursday ripped off a section of a wall of a northwest London house, damaged several nearby homes and injured at least six people, authorities said.

A man was taken to a hospital with a head injury, and five other adults were treated at the scene for minor injuries and shock, London Ambulance Service said.

"It came from nowhere, the sky turned dark, hail started falling and then within 10 minutes it was gone," said resident Perrin Sledge.

"A police officer told me he had a report of the tornado on his radio, turned the corner and saw the wind whip a garbage can into another car. He said it was like a scene from the movie 'Twister,'" Sledge said.

London Fire Brigade reported that about 100 properties were affected in a quarter-square-mile area.

The freak storm hit just after 11 a.m. on a day of unsettled weather, as high winds, bursts of rain and occasional hail and thunder swept across southern England.

The tornado ripped whole sections of roof off some homes, tore tiles from other roofs, uprooted trees and left the street strewn with debris.

One car was buried under a pile of fallen bricks, video footage from Sky News showed.

"It was like some sort of cyclone," said Tim Klotz, a resident of the Kensal Rise neighborhood in northwest London.

"I was actually in an attic room working at my desk on the computer and there was heavy rain and sleet and then the wind just really changed. I looked up through a skylight and debris was falling through the air. I heard what seemed like large, clay dominoes falling, which I think were roof tiles," Klotz said.

Daniel Bidgood told British Broadcasting Corp. radio that he saw a "huge cloud rolling up the street," making a loud sound.

"I went to try to take a picture of it but a shower of debris smashed all the windows of my house," Bidgood said.

An average of 33 tornadoes are reported annually in Britain, according to the Tornado and Storm Research Organization.

One of the worst to hit Britain destroyed the church of St. Mary le Bow and 600 homes in central London in 1091.

British Ex-Islers, check in and let us know you're okay. :(

Edited by Digital Man, 07 December 2006 - 11:00 AM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#2 SparkyCola

SparkyCola

Bye

• Islander
  • 14,903 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:26 PM

Sounds like no one was killed thank goodness.

I found the following particularly interesting:

The UK experiences an estimated 50 tornadoes on land each year, putting it top of the European league.

- BBC News

I didn't realise we had so many!

My thoughts go out to those who lost their homes  :( It's very upsetting to see your things destroyed  :(   {{{{{{{{{{{{Londoners}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Up here in South Yorkshire and apparently also back home down in Buckinghamshire it has been REALLY windy for days. I can hear the wind outside as I type.

Sparky

ps - I'm no where near London. Other Brits check in though! Jips? RV? I'm not sure where Gode lives..  :unsure:
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#3 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

And from the ashes of fire, she is reborn

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:33 PM

Gode is in luton, and i'm no longer a brit Exisler..as far as I know Gode and I are both fine.

Though they're having force 11 gale winds here today ;-)
Lost my hat twice, almost!
RIP Ruby Medallion: 31-10-1999/21-05-2007
one gender-reassigned, world travelling, world class snake.

FKA Chaddee, amongst other things.
http://scentedalchemy.webs.com Custom handmade bath and body products

#4 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:35 PM

Yeah I'm fine. Luton is so far away from London that if the Tornado started in London and  hit Luton it would be headline news worldwide :p

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#5 SparkyCola

SparkyCola

Bye

• Islander
  • 14,903 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:37 PM

You live in Luton? I'm so sorry, I never knew... :( :hugs:

Just kidding :p :whistle:

I know Luton, back home it's my nearest airport. You think you're far away? I'm in Sheffield!

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#6 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:54 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on Dec 7 2006, 11:37 PM, said:

You live in Luton? I'm so sorry, I never knew... :( :hugs:

Just kidding :p :whistle:

That's okay. I take pride in Luton's 'worst town in the UK' status. It keeps all the schmucks out of my town :p

I know Luton, back home it's my nearest airport. You think you're far away? I'm in Sheffield!

I love Luton airport. Do you realise I can fly virtually anywhere in Europe for less than 50 quid?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#7 JamesValEson

JamesValEson

Indomitable Cowbell Juggernaut

• Islander
  • 406 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:33 PM

Wow, I didn't even know you'all got Tornadoes over there. That's crazy, but that's coming from a guy who lives on the northern fringe of 'Tornado Alley'.
Hope all is well over there.
Gee, if I'm ever over there for vacation, maybe I'll have to try getting in some storm chasing (right up my alley with my planning on going into meteorology and all).

Barry
Barry, aka James ValEson, Captain of the starship USS Wolf 359, NCC-75820.

(Quotes from the dedication plaque for USS Wolf 359)

"This ship was built to honor those lost to the Borg at Wolf 359,
and made to keep it from happening again."
      - James Val Eson, at the launch of starship Wolf 359, NX-75820.

"Risk...Is our Business..."
     - James T. Kirk

And now some silly quotes from Mythbusters:
"I reject your reality, and substitue my own." Adam

"Quack! Damn you!" Jamie

#8 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:10 AM

View PostJamesValEson, on Dec 7 2006, 08:33 PM, said:

Wow, I didn't even know you'all got Tornadoes over there. That's crazy, but that's coming from a guy who lives on the northern fringe of 'Tornado Alley'.
Gee, if I'm ever over there for vacation, maybe I'll have to try getting in some storm chasing (right up my alley with my planning on going into meteorology and all).

Barry

Barry-I've seen your handle before. Do you post on the "Stormtrack" BBS?

For those who wonder what BBS I'm talking about, go here:

Stormtrack BBS

This is an EXCELLENT BBS. I've been fascinated with severe weather since I was a child. I've been a member of this BBS since 2004. The folks at this place are meteorologists/ meteorology students/stormchasers-really smart folks. This BBS proved to be invaluable while I was following Hurricane Katrina from its birth to its maturity.

There's a discussion about the London tornado here.

Saul

Edited by Digital Man, 08 December 2006 - 12:14 AM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#9 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:12 AM

Mark: Why couldn't that tornado have struck Baghdad...and blown a few insurgents away?  :whatsthat:
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#10 JamesValEson

JamesValEson

• Islander
  • 406 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:28 AM

View PostDigital Man, on Dec 7 2006, 11:10 PM, said:

View PostJamesValEson, on Dec 7 2006, 08:33 PM, said:

Barry

Barry-I've seen your handle before. Do you post on the "Stormtrack" BBS?

For those who wonder what BBS I'm talking about, go here:

Stormtrack BBS

This is an EXCELLENT BBS. I've been fascinated with severe weather since I was a child. I've been a member of this BBS since 2004. The folks at this place are meteorologists/ meteorology students/stormchasers-really smart folks. This BBS proved to be invaluable while I was following Hurricane Katrina from its birth to its maturity.

There's a discussion about the London tornado here.

Saul

I don't think I have, but that could mean that it was so long ago that I don't remember. :D
Thaks for the heads up on the forum though, I may start lurking? posting there now.

Barry

- James T. Kirk

"Quack! Damn you!" Jamie

#11 Pixiedust

Pixiedust

Still the stupidest member of the party

• Islander
  • 7,901 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:04 AM

*stretches hand up* I'm alive.
Posted Image

#12 Mr Dust

Mr Dust
  • Islander
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:04 AM

I live just a few miles from there (about a 45min walk) but I saw NOTHING of this T4 Tornado :(

I've always wanted to see one, and this is the closest I have ever been. I did get showered with hail thou, and lots of wind came my direction, and big dark black clouds. I got everything else, but no cookie!  :(  

Well, sure it will happen again.

Thing I want to know, the weather person said (after it stuck) in reply to the question "why did this happen" she said that -basically- 'we have had the perfect ingredients for a tornado over the last few days'

If that’s true, why no warning?

ps: Before I get lynched about the T4 claim, that's just what the weather guy said, so dont take it as fact. This I do know as a fact, that winds reached more than 110mph - whatever that makes it. Nevertheless, it was windy, thats all I know lol

EDIT: DAMAGE UPDATE!!!
Nobody mentions the tree at the bottom of my road. It lost a branch yesterday.

Edited by Murphy575, 09 December 2006 - 03:10 AM.

[Insert Signature Here]

#13 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 12:50 PM

I'm glad you're all ok.  :cool:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#14 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:00 PM

Glad you're ok Murphy. Believe meafter seeing one you really don't ever want to see another one. Actually they are alluringly fascinating.

As for no warning. In the US there are two terms:
Watch - when conditions which could produce a tornado are present
Warning - when an actual tornado has been sighted
These conditions are set by the National Weather Service. There is a special radio you can get which can be set to either be on for the NWS broadcasts all the time or to sound an alert tone when a severe weather advisory message is released. There messages are not only for tornados, they also cover hurricanes, thunderstorms, snowstorms, etc. I still have mine somewhere around but really only used it, on the alert setting, when I lived in Kansas.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#15 Ascendant Angel

Ascendant Angel

Taking back control

• Islander
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:29 PM

I only just saw this thread, but for the record I'm fine, I live in Milton Keynes now havn't lived in london for a while, but I miss it.
AKA Rommie's Voice
Come Tweet with me! AscendantAngel you know you want to.

#16 Ascendant Angel

Ascendant Angel

Taking back control

• Islander
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:31 PM

I only just saw this thread, but for the record I'm fine, I live in Milton Keynes now havn't lived in london for a while, but I miss it.
AKA Rommie's Voice
Come Tweet with me! AscendantAngel you know you want to.

#17 Heropa

Heropa

Phantom of the Obtuse - Pubic Defender

• Islander
  • 474 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 04:51 PM

We don't hear that much about the weather in the UK way across the pond. There's just so much of our own here. The other problem is that many coastal tornadoes used to be "written off" as water spouts to the American audience. At least that has stopped.

Glad the damage was low.
Your Heropa.
Here for something- there you go.

If you can't say anything nice, be accurate.

#18 JamesValEson

JamesValEson

• Islander
  • 406 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:39 PM

View PostAnastashia, on Dec 9 2006, 08:00 PM, said:

Glad you're ok Murphy. Believe meafter seeing one you really don't ever want to see another one. Actually they are alluringly fascinating.

As for no warning. In the US there are two terms:
Watch - when conditions which could produce a tornado are present
Warning - when an actual tornado has been sighted
These conditions are set by the National Weather Service. There is a special radio you can get which can be set to either be on for the NWS broadcasts all the time or to sound an alert tone when a severe weather advisory message is released. There messages are not only for tornados, they also cover hurricanes, thunderstorms, snowstorms, etc. I still have mine somewhere around but really only used it, on the alert setting, when I lived in Kansas.

Just to put my 'Super Weather Geek' hat on, there's also a version of Tornado Watch that is rarely put up called 'PDS'- Particularly Dangerous Situation. This is where there are not only conditions for Tornadoes to spin up, but the conditions are unusually high, and the potential for Stronger, more destructive, and more long-lived tornadoes is there.

And hey, I can share your sentiment about tornadoes, I had one almost touch down on my house back in the early 90's. But I still get a surge when I see one, or even see what could be one spinning up. But before anyone jumps on me, I will always hope that no one gets hurt when I see one.

Barry

- James T. Kirk

"Quack! Damn you!" Jamie

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, 2006, London, Tornado

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users