Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Mother Indicted For Microwaving Her Baby

Crime Mother Indited 2006 Microwaving baby

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#21 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

Water's wet; sky's blue; and Satan Clause is out there.

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:10 PM

I'm gonna PM you, Sparky, with my reply.  No need to drag out religion here as usual.

ETA:  To clarify for now (I just got finished playing a pick up game of touch football and I'm winded), when I say "Justice" I mean balancing the scales.  No more; no less.  The punishment fits the crime.

Edited by Lost Cause, 08 December 2006 - 01:11 PM.

Rose: [disgusted] Oh, look at what the cat dragged in: "The Oncoming Storm."

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

Sometimes the best causes worth fighting for are lost causes. -- Me.

Formerly Known as "Lost Cause."

#22 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,161 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:37 PM

I have to agree with Sparky that your sense of, "Justice" Lost Cause, creeps me out too.

Justice evolves, it's not black and white, as we evolve, the some criteria become redundant while others need to be upgraded, still more have to be instates.

Take the internet, now there's a big old bed of humanity, with victims and criminals. Am I digressing? Not necessarily.

They use to condemn witches to death, of course this stopped as soon as it became illegal to confiscate their worldly goods.
Now I am digressing!

Those who commit premeditated murder have a screw loose, they should be examined to find out why? They are actually a natural resource that we can study to find out what makes them tick and be able to identify it as a possibility before it becomes acute in the next to go in their direction.
It's called profiling, but I want to take one step farther and to find out what part of the brain is responsible for this type of action.

We already know that there is an area of the brain that can detect sarcasm, for example. Those who have damage in that area truly need people to wear emoticon cards on their foreheads so they can pick up the sarcasm.

The same with sociopaths? one might conjecture.
If we can zero in and correct a physical flaw or chemical imbalance that might have caused their actions then we owe it to ourselves to do so in the name of protecting others.

Let's look at the mother, if she did have post partem depression, this can be tested by the level of hormones in her body and there is no reason why she would not have been suspect if a simple blood test was administered at her first check up after giving birth. The fact that this testing is not practiced does nothing to alert us to possible problems ahead. So in essence, we failed her and the child  by not providing proper medical assistance, since post partem depression is a know factor in most cases of infanticide.

I don't believe in God the Father, I do however respect what it was that Jesus was trying to impart to us, to love one another, turn the other cheek, and the fact that kindness and forgiveness goes a lot further than revenge.

"The eye for an eye." came from the old testament, and in my not so humble opinion of the many decrees in that ancient text book, it should at the very least, come with a disclaimer.

It was Jesus who said to disregard it's edicts, and I agree.

#23 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:44 PM

^Amen. :p

L.C. - ok :)

for the record I only brought religion into it cos I thought LC was bringing it up, but I may have misinterpreted :look:

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#24 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

Water's wet; sky's blue; and Satan Clause is out there.

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:02 PM

I believe that justice is fixed, stationary.  It is not a moving a target.  I believe that God set justice when He created human kind and human beings broke His first law.  Perfection, which men were made in and fell from, extends unto everything God created, including justice.  Mankind is not able to keep perfection, even in his justice system, because men are imperfect.  If we are the ones who are fallen, then why should God have to move?  If we are wrong, why should God have to correct?  

I'm not creepy; I'm just rigid is all.

ETA: Or maybe it's the avatar?  ;)

Edited by Lost Cause, 08 December 2006 - 02:02 PM.

Rose: [disgusted] Oh, look at what the cat dragged in: "The Oncoming Storm."

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

Sometimes the best causes worth fighting for are lost causes. -- Me.

Formerly Known as "Lost Cause."

#25 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:03 PM

We don't even know that postpartum depression or psychosis will be a defense in this case as her lawyer does not seem to be persuing that particular defense or rather setting the wheels in motion

Rather he is saying that she did not do it at all.

Defense attorney Jon Paul Rion said Arnold had nothing to do with her child's death. He said Arnold and the child's father had left Paris with a baby sitter the night before she found the baby unconscious.

There is no mention of postpartum depression as a defense here....only her proclaimed innocence and an attempt to offer up another possible suspect.

We are the ones putting forth this possible defense, not the mother or her lawyer.

Study any case of murder where postpartum depression/pyschosis is put forth as a defense and they usually put that idea out there right away....and they are not doing so thus far in this case.  Putting that idea out there as a defense is a way to garner sympathy early on for the mother....and they do not seem to be doing that or trying to spin it that way...so far.

Does not mean that they will not try it later but the defense has not thus far.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#26 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:33 PM

You know, as I read the first post, and what this woman had done, and the horror of it, my blood pressure started rising. But when I read some people on this board actually defending this woman, my blood boiled over.

To use, what is IMO, a lame a$$ excuse for murder...the PD defense....I've said it once before, and looks like I have to say it again...I don't give a rat's a$$ if this b*tch was depressed or not. She KILLED her child, and this one did it in what has to be the worse possible way.

I would be more the willing to donate money to the state if they wanted to build a giant microwave to put her in, IF she is given the death penalty...And I seriously hope to GOD that she is.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#27 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:49 PM

Hmm...I've been reading this thread for quite a while and the things I keep thinking are 1) innocent until proven guilty and 2) why are people talking about the PPD defense when it's clearly not being used here?

The accused is claiming that she did not do this, that someone else did. What was done to this baby sickens me, but before we start denigrating the mother let's wait until she's convicted. Doesn't mean we can't say what we think should happen to someone who is proven guilty, just that berating her specifically is somewhat premature.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#28 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:53 PM

I would be more the willing to donate money to the state if they wanted to build a giant microwave to put her in, IF she is given the death penalty...And I seriously hope to GOD that she is.

If a Paypal account goes up for this, let me know, 'cuz I'm good for at least a hundred...

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#29 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 04:42 PM

View PostLORD of the SWORD, on Dec 8 2006, 02:33 PM, said:

You know, as I read the first post, and what this woman had done, and the horror of it, my blood pressure started rising. But when I read some people on this board actually defending this woman, my blood boiled over.

To use, what is IMO, a lame a$$ excuse for murder...the PD defense....I've said it once before, and looks like I have to say it again...I don't give a rat's a$$ if this b*tch was depressed or not. She KILLED her child, and this one did it in what has to be the worse possible way.

Remember.....she has not been found guilty.....YET

And as I already quoted it once...according to the article, this woman is NOT claiming the postpartum defense.

I'm not defending her but read the article and see what her lawyer says....

Defense attorney Jon Paul Rion said Arnold had nothing to do with her child's death. He said Arnold and the child's father had left Paris with a baby sitter the night before she found the baby unconscious.

See....a claim of innocence as well as pointing out a possible other suspect. Standard defense as in "I did not do it",  not PPD

Claiming total innocence is not a lame a## excuse.  If they were going to claim the PPD then they would have said so in this article.  Float the idea out there and put it in the public's mind....but they did not.

I don't think that I believe her.  I don't know enough about the case from this article to say.  The mother had the opportunity...certainly more than a one-night babysitter.  

No matter whether it was mommy or the babysitter who did it, it's still sick and whoever did it needs to be punished.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now this is where I have a real problem with this case..... and This is not saying that I believe this claim but...who was this babysitter?  How well did they know this person to leave their brand new precious baby with this person?  If you are going to throw blame on this other person that implies that they were not well known to the parents or trusted...

I am very careful about who I trust my children with and they are much older than this baby...and I sure never left my children when they were babies with someone I did not know very  well and trust completely.

Edited by trikay, 08 December 2006 - 04:44 PM.

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#30 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 04:47 PM

View Posttrikay, on Dec 8 2006, 04:42 PM, said:

And as I already quoted it once...according to the article, this woman is NOT claiming the postpartum defense.

Sorry. I was mainly responding to D. Rabbit's post about PD defense. Once I read that, I quickly scrolled to the bottom to post a reply. That's how annoying I found that excuse.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#31 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 04:55 PM

If a Paypal account goes up for this, let me know, 'cuz I'm good for at least a hundred...

When I think of all the good that money could do, and you would rather spend it on murder, it makes me feel sick. You would like to do to her what she did to her baby. In what way are you better than her?

She hasn't even been to court yet and you've decided to play judge jury and executioner. What is this? An attempt to appease your personal anger over this? What good will it do? Will it really make you feel better? Oh, then I'm so pleased it could make YOU feel better, make YOU feel like you got some "justice" and YOU can go on with your life, unlike this sick woman or her child.

Now don't get me wrong, I have a great respect for you and I have a lot of time for what you say - but this makes me feel physically ill.

Sparky

#32 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 04:55 PM

^^^

That's okay LotS....

I get annoyed with that defense too and they have to show me plenty of evidence to make me believe it for some cases.

I'm actually sort of surprised not to see it being considered in this case....

It is such a sick sick case that I would have expected to see PPD being used here.  Not sure what to make of the fact that it is not being used... :unsure:

#33 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,161 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 02:41 AM

Tough to you LOTs for taking exception to my conjecture.
But your words are those of the unenlightened who still believe in vengeance as the answer. If your religious, remember, "vengeance is mine, said the lord." Not yours.

I realized they did not use the PPD defense, pointing the finger at an obvious stranger probably worked for them. It's hard to say what the lawyer is up to, there are probably a lot of extenuating circumstances. We are just going to have to keep an eye on this case to see how it plays out.

In the mean time,

I believe that justice is fixed, stationary. It is not a moving a target. I believe that God set justice when He created human kind and human beings broke His first law. Perfection, which men were made in and fell from, extends unto everything God created, including justice. Mankind is not able to keep perfection, even in his justice system, because men are imperfect. If we are the ones who are fallen, then why should God have to move? If we are wrong, why should God have to correct?

I'm not creepy; I'm just rigid is all.

That's an interesting comment about justice not being a moving target.
It is however. Just look at gay rights. In Jamaica and Cuba, their justice system will condemn a male who is convicted of buggery to 10 years in jail, in Canada they can get married and have the full tax benefits of married heterosexual couples. Here is where Justice is not only a moving target, but in Jamaica and Cuba, it deserves to be shot down.

I did mention I don't believe in God the Father, and actually I can't understand why so many do when there is absolutely no proof of his existence other than hear say.

Show me a link to his domain will ya? ;)

I for one have a connection to the collective subconscious CS. I rail at them regularly but they are like the Borg, so it's the same thing as me trying to talk some sense into Canada Post.

I still have to give it a shot, no point in whining if your not going to attempt to do something about it.

If you take a look at the Wolfe's Andromeda Coda, you will see how we agree on who is fallen and who is running the show.

We are all fallen, because being a good little Borg in the CS is boring.
Still we need rules. We are dealing with the fallen writing the rules, so the rules themselves are flawed and need constant amendments, much like this board, that is heading into maintenance mode, knowing Santa Orph it's probably sooner than later, so, It's good night all in this thread.
7 verses I know you're there behind the veil.

#34 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 04:29 AM

D.Rabbit:

Show me a link to his domain will ya?

Mark: Go to church, and read the bible...his domain will be revealed to you when you're ready.
I think it's pretty arrogant to believe that we're the only ones, and there wasn't an originator of everything. Something from relatively nothing doesn't make much scientific sense to me.
But hey, everybody is entitled to their opinions, and beliefs on the subject.
:angel:

Edited by Mark, 09 December 2006 - 04:31 AM.

Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#35 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 04:58 AM

Technically something from nothing is th Christian creation myth, what with the creation of the whole planet from nothing.

Science doesn't work that way.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#36 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 12:34 PM

View PostD.Rabbit, on Dec 8 2006, 10:37 AM, said:

<snip>
Those who commit premeditated murder have a screw loose, they should be examined to find out why? They are actually a natural resource that we can study to find out what makes them tick and be able to identify it as a possibility before it becomes acute in the next to go in their direction.
It's called profiling, but I want to take one step farther and to find out what part of the brain is responsible for this type of action.

We already know that there is an area of the brain that can detect sarcasm, for example. Those who have damage in that area truly need people to wear emoticon cards on their foreheads so they can pick up the sarcasm.

The same with sociopaths? one might conjecture.
If we can zero in and correct a physical flaw or chemical imbalance that might have caused their actions then we owe it to ourselves to do so in the name of protecting others.

Let's look at the mother, if she did have post partem depression, this can be tested by the level of hormones in her body and there is no reason why she would not have been suspect if a simple blood test was administered at her first check up after giving birth. The fact that this testing is not practiced does nothing to alert us to possible problems ahead. So in essence, we failed her and the child  by not providing proper medical assistance, since post partem depression is a know factor in most cases of infanticide.

You assume a lot. For instance, you assume that a person cannot act in a deliberately evil fashion, and I don't believe that's true - I've met some truly vile people who deliberately make harmful choices.

I believe some people can be rehabilitated, but prisons are filled with repeat offenders who got caught and went out and did the same thing all over again - whether from stupidity, greed or whatever.

As for parents who murder their own children, you can either lock them up in a loony bin for life or execute them for all of me. Same goes for parents who molest their children.  There's no crime more heinous crime than harming a child, IMO. I would prefer that no one who commits such an act be allowed to be free to do it again.

When I was younger I might have agreed with you. I've seen too many evil people free to walk in the world. I see the results of parental abuse every day at work.  It would make your blood run cold to hear a preschooler talk about being beaten with a belt when they're doing the unit to help children identify different types of clothing. :eek: And the really sad thing is that this child thought being beaten regularly (he often comes to school black and blue) was normal.

One of the bad things about the whole postpartum depression thing is that too many women have gotten off for abusing or murdering their babies on the grounds they were crazy. There was a lot less of this going on when I was a kid, and I'm pretty sure it's because the perpetrators were punished to the full extent of the law, and postpartum depression was not an acceptable excuse for violence against children (or anybody else).

Now we feel sorry for them instead of their murdered children. Something is not right with this picture. I prefer to grieve for the victims instead of let off the perpetrators.

I agree with you that postpartum depression should be treated, and promptly. But mothers should also be aware that postpartum depression is not an excuse for violent behavior, and we haven't been sending that message for some time.

Edited to add: I know this woman isn't claiming PPD, but I still wanted to comment on the idea that criminals are simply mentally ill. Some are. Many are in their right minds and still choose to commit crimes.

I had no problem with Andrea Yates, who had a long history of mental illness, being institutionalized - and she was seriously mentally ill and was clearly not sane when she killed her children.

Edited by Rhea, 09 December 2006 - 04:19 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#37 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 01:40 PM

Why would we give her the death penalty in the first place? Is it going to detour others from doing the same? I think not, anyone deranged enough to use this method to kill a helpless child is not going to care one wit about their own existence

You don't shoot a rabid dog to deter other rabid dogs, you shoot it to protect others from being bitten by the rabid dog. If this woman microwaved her baby, is found sane and not in the grips of PPD, fry her. I sided with Andrea Yates because she had a long history of mental illness, it was documented, it was a fact, a longstanding one. With this woman, you'd need to show my some serious evidence that this woman was and had been mentally ill for a while.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#38 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:06 PM

View PostD.Rabbit, on Dec 9 2006, 02:41 AM, said:

Tough to you LOTs for taking exception to my conjecture.
But your words are those of the unenlightened who still believe in vengeance as the answer. If your religious, remember, "vengeance is mine, said the lord." Not yours.

So now I'm unenlightened? Well if being enlightened like you makes me take the side of a person that puts a helpless baby in a microwave and turn it on...you can take your enlightenment and stick it where the sun don't shine.

I realize that your bleeding heart automatically cries out for the worst of our offenders, and that's fine. You can have this woman babysit your own child...Hopefully your child will make out better then her own did? Won't hold my breath though.

#39 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 04:38 PM

D.Rabbit: But your words are those of the unenlightened who still believe in vengeance as the answer.

LORD of the SWORD: Well if being enlightened like you makes me take the side of a person that puts a helpless baby in a microwave and turn it on...you can take your enlightenment and stick it where the sun don't shine.

I realize that your bleeding heart automatically cries out for the worst of our offenders, and that's fine. You can have this woman babysit your own child...Hopefully your child will make out better then her own did? Won't hold my breath though.
D.Rabbit. LORD of the SWORD. This is an official Cool It.

I believe some people can be rehabilitated, but prisons are filled with repeat offenders who got caught and went out and did the same thing all over again - whether from stupidity, greed or whatever.

I heard that USA has over a million people in prison, which is 1 in every 32 adults!! :eek2: is this true?!!

I don't know the stats but the UK prison system is in dire need of sorting out - ours is ridiculously overcrowded and needs something done about it ASAP.

I just thought the 1 in 32 adults thing was quite interesting.

Sparky

Edited by SparkyCola, 09 December 2006 - 04:42 PM.

#40 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 04:56 PM

View PostLin731, on Dec 9 2006, 12:40 PM, said:

Why would we give her the death penalty in the first place? Is it going to detour others from doing the same? I think not, anyone deranged enough to use this method to kill a helpless child is not going to care one wit about their own existence

You don't shoot a rabid dog to deter other rabid dogs, you shoot it to protect others from being bitten by the rabid dog. If this woman microwaved her baby, is found sane and not in the grips of PPD, fry her. I sided with Andrea Yates because she had a long history of mental illness, it was documented, it was a fact, a longstanding one. With this woman, you'd need to show my some serious evidence that this woman was and had been mentally ill for a while.

I agree with you on this one, Lin...

I sided with Andrea Yates for the same reason...there was a long history there of mental illness and warnings given...that were ignored by her husband who I personally blame more for what happened than Andrea.  And I have never understood why he was never held accountable.

This woman and her lawyer are not claiming mental illness, just plain old total innocence.   And like I said before I think that if there was going to be an insanity or PPD defense (tho it is not really the depression that causes the mother to murder but  psychosis...far worse than depression)  that it would have already been brought up by the lawyer already.

Instead the mother in this case is claiming total innocence.  Which implies that there is no proof that she was PPD or psychotic.  Or she is in total denial....tho I think that the manner in which this baby died would have prompted her attorney to request mental health evaluations.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Crime, Mother Indited, 2006, Microwaving baby

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users