Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Prison Making Him Crazy

Olympics bomber Eric Rudolph Prison Hardships 2006 Crime Terrorism

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 03:29 PM

Are we supposed to feel sorry for him?  

Sorry, not feeling his pain here.

Olypic bomber bemoans prison conditions

Olympic bomber Eric Rudolph laments in a series of letters to a newspaper that the maximum-security federal prison where he is spending the rest of his life is designed to drive him insane.

"It is a closed-off world designed to isolate inmates from social and environmental stimuli, with the ultimate purpose of causing mental illness and chronic physical conditions such as diabetes, heart disease and arthritis," he wrote in one letter to The Gazette of Colorado Springs.

Rudolph wrote that he spends 23 hours a day in his 7-by-12-foot cell, his only exercise confined to an enclosed area he described as a "large empty swimming pool" divided into "dog-kennel style cages."

"Using solitary confinement, Supermax is designed to inflict as much misery and pain as is constitutionally permissible," he wrote in a letter.

One of Rudolph's victims had no sympathy for him.

"It gives me a great deal of pride to think he's never coming out of there," said Diane Derzis, who runs a Birmingham, Ala., women's clinic Rudolph bombed in 1998. "He should never see daylight again."

Rudolph, an anti-government extremist, pleaded guilty in April 2005 to setting the bomb that killed one person and wounded more than 100 at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics, and three other bombings, including a fatal explosion at a Birmingham clinic.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#2 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 03:51 PM

LMAO!

I couldn't help but laugh as I read this...What the hell does he think Jail is suppose to be like?

LMAO!

As for him not being happy.......3 words come to mind. Aaaaawwwww Poor Baby!

LMAO!
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#3 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:17 PM

uh...just what does he EXPECT exactly? I mean, why is he writing this?

Is he complaining of human rights violations or just saying he misses his teddy?

I don't get it.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#4 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:32 PM

"Using solitary confinement, Supermax is designed to inflict as much misery and pain as is constitutionally permissible," he wrote in a letter.

Good and all that I had hoped for and I hope that he lives a good long time so that he can reap all that he has sown.  :D

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#5 Pixiedust

Pixiedust

Still the stupidest member of the party

• Islander
  • 7,901 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:37 PM

When you read this though, another case comes to mind...some criminals who sued the government because they weren't allowed to take their drugs in prison, claimed it was breaching human rights...and they won!

About this guy, well, maybe he should be given the option of death? Yeah, death penalty = bad and all that, but if it's his own choice...
Posted Image

#6 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:45 PM

You're suggesting he should look for ways to commit suicide. Ok so THAT i'm against.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#7 Pixiedust

Pixiedust

Still the stupidest member of the party

• Islander
  • 7,901 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:51 PM

Why though? I mean, not that I agree with the death penalty, but if he hates it so badly there, why not let him choose?
Posted Image

#8 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:16 PM

View PostLORD of the SWORD, on Dec 11 2006, 03:51 PM, said:

LMAO!

I couldn't help but laugh as I read this...What the hell does he think Jail is suppose to be like?

LMAO!

As for him not being happy.......3 words come to mind. Aaaaawwwww Poor Baby!

LMAO!

Those aren't the three words I'd choose.

:devil:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#9 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:33 PM

I'll say this. If i was locked into a place like Supermax i'd probably be considering suicide before too many years had passed.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#10 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:40 PM

I really can't feel sorry for him, maybe he should've thought about that when he was making his bombs. :glare:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#11 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:47 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on Dec 11 2006, 06:45 PM, said:

You're suggesting he should look for ways to commit suicide. Ok so THAT i'm against.

Sparky

As long as no one else is hurt by the act let him die by his own hand. Why should we keep him here on this planet if he does not wish to stay?

Then again I was so in favor of this guy getting the needle. He killed and injured people with bombs. The jury saw it another way and I will have to accept it.

Edited by G1223, 11 December 2006 - 07:49 PM.

If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#12 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:11 PM

23 hours a day in solitary confinement is cruel punishment.  If it is that extreme, this is way beyond a case of wanting a teddy bear.  Torture isn't right anywhere it is applied.  

It has been shown that depriving people of contact with others for extended periods will drive them insane.  Is this really what we want to be doing with people?
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#13 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:15 PM

<snerk>

Like he wasn't already crazy anyway?  :hehe:

I'm trying hard to feel bad for him, but what maximum security prison might be like is something he should have given serious consideration to before he built and detonated that bomb.

I don't care what we do with someone like him. If that makes me uncivilized, so be it.

Edited by Rhea, 11 December 2006 - 08:18 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#14 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 11:21 PM

View PostBeka's Playgirl, on Dec 11 2006, 06:37 PM, said:

When you read this though, another case comes to mind...some criminals who sued the government because they weren't allowed to take their drugs in prison, claimed it was breaching human rights...and they won!

They actually won? What drugs was the Judge on?
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#15 Pallas

Pallas

Wicked--Like the Witch of the West

• Islander
  • 833 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 12:16 AM

View PostLORD of the SWORD, on Dec 11 2006, 09:21 PM, said:

View PostBeka's Playgirl, on Dec 11 2006, 06:37 PM, said:

They actually won? What drugs was the Judge on?

What kind of drugs?

That would make a lot of sense if it were diabetic drugs for instance wherein depriving the prisoner the right to access these drugs could result in death or at least cruel and unusual punishment, which does violate their human rights. Or if they were heavy addicts, making them quit cold-turkey could kill them.

Of course, the prevailing attitude here seems to be that if they're criminals, we should treat them like they're animals. So much for progress.
We can do noble acts without ruling the earth and sea--Aristotle

#16 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 12:24 AM

View PostKalistria, on Dec 12 2006, 12:16 AM, said:

What kind of drugs?

I was talking about the drugs the Judge was taking, not the criminals.

That would make a lot of sense if it were diabetic drugs for instance wherein depriving the prisoner the right to access these drugs could result in death or at least cruel and unusual punishment, which does violate their human rights. Or if they were heavy addicts, making them quit cold-turkey could kill them.

For legit medical reasons I could understand, and agree with that. But prisons do have a infirmary, so they should be able to get legit drugs there. As for the illegal kind, and how withdrawl might kill them...That's a decision they made themselves. I could honestly care less if they go through withdrawl.

Of course, the prevailing attitude here seems to be that if they're criminals, we should treat them like they're animals. So much for progress.

Of course we could always just do away with jails altogether...there's real progress for you. Crime free for all. No matter what crime you do, you won't do the time. Gotta love it.

#17 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 12:37 AM

I hope he goes mad with more and more insanity by the day.  

How does the saying go?  "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime."
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#18 Pallas

Pallas

Wicked--Like the Witch of the West

• Islander
  • 833 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 01:16 AM

I was talking about the drugs the Judge was taking, not the criminals.

I was talking about criminals. What kind of drugs were they asking for? All Beka Playgirl said was that they sued because they didn't have their drugs. What kind?

For legit medical reasons I could understand, and agree with that. But prisons do have a infirmary, so they should be able to get legit drugs there. As for the illegal kind, and how withdrawl might kill them...That's a decision they made themselves. I could honestly care less if they go through withdrawl.

How do you know that the prison even carries that particular kind of drug or do they just feed them placebos? I have no idea how the prison infirmary system works but from what I do know about the US penal system, this is more than likely to happen for cost-cutting purposes if nothing else.

And...the prevailing attitude that if they're criminals, they don't deserve treatment.

Of course we could always just do away with jails altogether...there's real progress for you. Crime free for all. No matter what crime you do, you won't do the time. Gotta love it.

I said nothing of the sort.

Treating people inhumanely speaks more about the society who does it than the people who are in jail. Your own Bill of Rights prohibited cruel and unusual punishment and forcing people to go through withdrawls (if that is indeed the case, which we don't know it actually is) certainly qualifies. As does keeping people in total isolation, which is known to cause psychological damage. People literally do go crazy from being alone too long.

If the point of prison is to punish people for doing the crime, then fine. Punish people who did the crime, keep them in jail until they die but there is no need to be cruel and vicious about doing so. If penalizing criminals was just all about torturing them, then why don't you just go ahead and torture them to death? It's what countries who don't give a wit about due process of law or a fair judiciary do when people inconvenience them. Remove them permanently. Considering how the United States derides countries who arbitrarily do such things, I think this would be a hard position to justify in torturing prisoners either directly or indirectly.

Incidentally, if any of you seriously think that this is a good alternative, then in future arguments regarding the human rights violations and lack of due process of other countries, please consider your own attitudes towards people who are in prison but may or may not necessarily be a criminal (no law system is perfect; there is no way in hell that anyone can automatically determine everyone in jail is guilty. I'm generalizing here; not specific to the guy mentioned in this thread who is guilty)
We can do noble acts without ruling the earth and sea--Aristotle

#19 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 01:23 AM

View PostKalistria, on Dec 12 2006, 01:16 AM, said:

I was talking about criminals. What kind of drugs were they asking for? All Beka Playgirl said was that they sued because they didn't have their drugs. What kind?

I'm also curious about that. Though I do think that the Judge that sided with them was probably high on something...but I'm willing to reserve judgement til I know exactly what kind of drugs.

Treating people inhumanely speaks more about the society who does it than the people who are in jail. Your own Bill of Rights prohibited cruel and unusual punishment and forcing people to go through withdrawls (if that is indeed the case, which we don't know it actually is) certainly qualifies. As does keeping people in total isolation, which is known to cause psychological damage. People literally do go crazy from being alone too long.

Well as to the bill of rights...Sadly we no longer have those, since Bush threw them out the window when he killed Habeus Corpus...But that's something else entirely.

#20 ilexx

ilexx
  • Islander
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 01:48 AM

View PostBeka's Playgirl, on Dec 12 2006, 12:37 AM, said:

In the US or in the EU?

View PostRhea, on Dec 12 2006, 02:15 AM, said:

<snerk>

Like he wasn't already crazy anyway?  :hehe:

I'm starting to like this 'What Rhea says'-routine...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Olympics bomber, Eric Rudolph, Prison, Hardships, 2006, Crime, Terrorism

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users