• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:16 AM

I mean . . . seriously. A four year old?

http://www.northcoun...Suspension.html

BELLMEAD, TX---A four-year-old pre-kindergarten student is in in-school suspension for demonstrating what the school administration says was "inappropriate physical behavior interpreted as sexual contact and/or sexual harassment".

Damarcus Blackwell, the child's father, says the boy was hugging his teacher's aide but the school principal says that the while lining up to get on the school bus last month, the boy rubbed his face in the chest of a female employee.

Perhaps the teacher's aide had never been hugged by a child before (you know . . . they're generally short and can't reach much higher than one's chest) and freaked.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#2 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:29 AM

Sometimes really young kids who are being sexually abused at home can act out some of the things they've learned on other kids at school, so it's not unheard of... but this does sound like an over-reaction to some innocent behavior.  If the kid's just hugging and happened to nuzzle somebody's chest, eh, that's probably just being affectionate combined with not knowing that he's doing something inappropriate.

Some kids are "booby-grabbers," and they don't mean anything by it... they're just a fun thing to grab and the kid doesn't know any better, so...

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#3 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:29 AM

:wallbash:  :wallbash:  :wallbash:

Oh, for heavens' sake...  :glare:

The kid is FOUR YEARS OLD! What's the employee gonna do-sue the kid for sexual harrassment and have his Playskool™ toys confiscated by the state?!  :crazy:

No-better yet... [LoTS] Sue the pants off the parents. [/LoTS]  :wacko:

Erm-little kids are touchy-feely. I doubt the tyke was trying to get a freebie.  :sarcasm:

(rhyme not intentional, folks.  :blush: )
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#4 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:31 AM

Thinking there was an overreaction here  :blink:

But rubbing his face in her chest?  I'm thinking that the child was just not taught that you do not rub your face in someone's chest while hugging...some people can--and do as evidenced by this case--take that the wrong way.

This reminds me of  a case about a month ago where a child called his teacher sexy and got in trouble (suspended?) for it....but his parents explained that 'sexy' in their house just was used as meaning 'beautiful'.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#5 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:38 AM

The thing is, when you're playing with young kids, you WILL get "touched innapropriately." I've been smacked in the 'nads quite frequently, but never on purpose. It's just that when you're playing, those little feet will step on you in places that shouldn't be stepped on.  :blink: Yowtch! Kids don't have any boundaries.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#6 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:46 AM

Probably looking for lunch.
Can't Touch This!!

#7 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:53 AM

^^^True --that was for Drew

LOL....for Kosh's post

Boundaries have to be taught.  And at four, he is likely only just beginning to be taught about appropriate behavior.  

A more appropriate response on the part of the teacher's aide would have been to tell the child not to do that again and that it is inappropriate...not to go to immediate suspension. IF the behavior happens again..then you go to suspension or whatever.  

(My kids school has a policy of warnings....one warning means 5 minutes lost of recess; second warning, you lose recess and parents are called; third warning, then we talk about suspension )

The case I mentioned in my previous post involved an older child (about 8 or 9?) who should have known what the word meant but was not taught by his parents how others might interpret it....thus getting him in trouble.

The notation on his record they mentioned in the article.....are we talking the dreaded permanent record here?  I remember back in school that the worst thing that any of us ever thought could happen to us was to get into the kind of trouble that went on your permanent record. :eek2:

Edited by trikay, 12 December 2006 - 11:54 AM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#8 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 12:07 PM

Officials at the La Vega Primary School told Blackwell [the child's father] they would remove the sexual references on the disciplinary referral but denied his request for an apology from the aide and cleansing the boy's record. Administration said the boy's record will now refer to the alleged incident as "inappropriate physical contact"

And that is all anyone will see when they look at it several years down the road. They will not see the date it was added.

We were just talking about this last night -- that all anyone has to do to screw you over really good is accuse you of sexual misconduct, and even if you're found "not guilty," it's not the same as "innocent," and that mark remains.

#9 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 12:10 PM

View PostDrew, on Dec 12 2006, 12:07 PM, said:

Officials at the La Vega Primary School told Blackwell [the child's father] they would remove the sexual references on the disciplinary referral but denied his request for an apology from the aide and cleansing the boy's record. Administration said the boy's record will now refer to the alleged incident as "inappropriate physical contact"

And that is all anyone will see when they look at it several years down the road. They will not see the date it was added.

We were just talking about this last night -- that all anyone has to do to screw you over really good is accuse you of sexual misconduct, and even if you're found "not guilty," it's not the same as "innocent," and that mark remains.

Personnally, I avoid being alone with Kids or Co-Workers. Our bosses take everyones words against ours, no matter the situation, men are always wrong in this group.
Can't Touch This!!

#10 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 12:23 PM

View PostDrew, on Dec 12 2006, 12:07 PM, said:

I agree again ( :eek: ) with Drew.

All you need is to plant the seed of doubt. That's all it takes. That seed of doubt is like a weed-no matter how many times you yank the plant itself out, it grows back again-and even spreads, sometimes.  :crazy:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#11 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 02:37 PM

methinks the idiot teacher needs to be investigated and sent to a shrink.

this is disgusting!!  that poor child has no clue what "sexual harassment" is!! :grr:

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#12 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 03:54 PM

View PostZwolf, on Dec 12 2006, 11:29 AM, said:

they're just a fun thing to grab and the kid doesn't know any better, so...

Cheers,

Zwolf

Please warn before posting something like that. Almost lost a keyboard and monitor on that one.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#13 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 03:58 PM

Obviously this teacher has some serious issues that she needs to work on. I know when I read it, the very first thing that popped in my head was: "Teacher probably doesn't get much action, and found a way of making people look at her as 'Sexy' " Probably in the hopes of getting a boyfriend, and all at this little kids expense.

And now the school is putting this down on the child's permanent record!? Oh HELL NO! If I was the parent....I wouldn't even warn the school. They want to play ball like that, I'd turn to the child and say: "If ANY teacher so much as touches you, even so much as shakes your hand...you tell me." and once that happened.....

Wait for it DM.........

Sue that hell out of the teacher and the school for sexual abuse of a minor.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#14 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 04:10 PM

A child buries his head in someone's chest and it's seen as inappropriate? Ridiculous! This is a four year old, not a teen or adult.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#15 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,297 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 06:30 PM

Mark: When I was little, if they would've caught me doing what I was doing in the toybox with a girl I was in daycare with...there would've been scandle for months!!   :p  :blush:
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#16 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 06:31 PM

View PostMark, on Dec 12 2006, 06:30 PM, said:

Mark: When I was little, if they would've caught me doing what I was doing in the toybox with a girl I was in daycare with...there would've been scandle for months!!   :p  :blush:

I don't even want to know....

#17 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 06:49 PM

View PostDrew, on Dec 12 2006, 08:16 AM, said:

I mean . . . seriously. A four year old?

http://www.northcoun...Suspension.html

BELLMEAD, TX---A four-year-old pre-kindergarten student is in in-school suspension for demonstrating what the school administration says was "inappropriate physical behavior interpreted as sexual contact and/or sexual harassment".

Damarcus Blackwell, the child's father, says the boy was hugging his teacher's aide but the school principal says that the while lining up to get on the school bus last month, the boy rubbed his face in the chest of a female employee.

Perhaps the teacher's aide had never been hugged by a child before (you know . . . they're generally short and can't reach much higher than one's chest) and freaked.

GEEZ!!!!   :eek:  :whatsthat:  :eek:
Posted Image

#18 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 06:57 PM

View PostLORD of the SWORD, on Dec 12 2006, 03:58 PM, said:

Wait for it DM.........

Wait for what?? :p

You're about as predictable as an episode of the A-Team. :p :p :p

:hehe:
Posted Image

#19 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:02 PM

View PostZwolf, on Dec 12 2006, 11:29 AM, said:

Some kids are "booby-grabbers," and they don't mean anything by it... they're just a fun thing to grab and the kid doesn't know any better, so...

Cheers,

Zwolf

Maybe he was trying to tune in Radio Disney. :p :p
Posted Image

#20 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:12 PM

View PostDigital Man, on Dec 12 2006, 06:57 PM, said:

Wait for what?? :p

You're about as predictable as an episode of the A-Team. :p :p :p

:hehe:

Oh no you didn't go there...LMAO! That's it! I'm suing, defamation of sanity...LMAO.  ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 4-yr old, suspended, 2006, Texas

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users