#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 07:55 PM

http://news.yahoo.co.../us_nm/words_dc

Macaca" you are number one.

The word "macaca," used by outgoing Republican Sen. George Allen (news, bio, voting record) of Virginia to describe a Democratic activist of Indian descent who was trailing his campaign, was named the most politically incorrect word of the year on Friday by Global Language Monitor, a nonprofit group that studies word usage.

"The word might have changed the political balance of the U.S. Senate, since Allen's utterance (an offensive slang term for Indians from the Sub-continent) surely impacted his election bid," said the group's head, Paul JJ Payack.

Allen narrowly lost to Democrat James Webb in November, helping make it possible for the Democrats to capture control of the Senate.

In second place on this year's list was "Global Warming Denier," for someone who believes that climate change has moved from scientific theory to dogma.

"There are now proposals that 'global warming deniers' be treated the same as 'Holocaust deniers: professional ostracism, belittlement, ridicule and, even, jail," Payack said.

In third was "Herstory" substituting for "History." Payack said there are nearly 900,000 Google citations for "Herstory," all based on a mistaken assumption that "history" is a sexist word.

"When Herodotus wrote the first history, the word meant simply an 'inquiry,"' he said.

In August, Global Language Monitor picked "truthiness" and "Wikiality" -- two words popularized by political satirist Stephen Colbert on his TV show "The Colbert Report"-- as the top television buzzwords of the year.

The group defined "truthiness" as used by Colbert as meaning "truth unencumbered by the facts." "Wikiality," derived from the user-compiled  Wikipedia information Web site, was defined as "reality as determined by majority vote."

History is a sexist word? :wacko:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 08:02 PM

Because morons who don't know their etymology assume that history is a masculine word. And yes, I've seen suggestions that it should be referred to as 'his and her story'

To quote an old PVP comic, people like that shouldn't get so hersterical about it.

Edited by Godeskian, 15 December 2006 - 08:02 PM.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#3 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 08:23 PM

Sounds more like people would just use 'herstory' as a pun, rather than actually thinking of it as in MJ's album. If they truly believe it's sexist - It's another case of misguided zeal from ignorance.

I've never heard of 'macaca' before- where does it come from? :eh: (she says, ignorantly :rolleyes: )

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#4 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 08:24 PM

That makes two of us Sparky. I first heard the word macaca when their was the political kerfuffle a couple of months ago

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#5 omegaman

omegaman
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 08:30 PM

My sig says it all in regards to PCness
"Political Correctness: A doctrine... which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." -- Stoney FAL Forum

You can't be brave if you've only had wonderful things happen to you.

Mary Tyler Moore

#6 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 08:33 PM

Maybe they should change Herodotus to "Himodotus" then.  :crazy:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#7 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 02:03 AM

View PostSparkyCola, on Dec 15 2006, 05:23 PM, said:

Sounds more like people would just use 'herstory' as a pun, rather than actually thinking of it as in MJ's album. If they truly believe it's sexist - It's another case of misguided zeal from ignorance.

I've never heard of 'macaca' before- where does it come from? :eh: (she says, ignorantly :rolleyes: )

Sparky

Here you go:

http://en.wikipedia....i/Macaca_(slur)

Macaca[1] is a dismissive epithet used by francophone colonials in Central Africa's Belgian Congo for the native population.[2] It may be derived from the name of the genus comprising macaque monkeys. The word macaque has also been used as a racial slur. The macaque's genus name, Macaca, is a latinization of the Bantu (Kongo) ma-kako,[3] meaning "monkey".

Allen's mother is French Tunisian, and he probably learned the word from her.

The most pathetic thing Allen did was to welcome an American of Indian descent to this country. :barf:

Edited by Rhea, 16 December 2006 - 02:03 AM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#8 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 08:12 AM

It seems strange to me that "Global Warming Denier" is considered the second-most offensive word of the year. Surely there are more offensive words out there. Michael Richards found one.  :Oo:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#9 JamesValEson

JamesValEson

Indomitable Cowbell Juggernaut

• Islander
  • 406 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 09:29 AM

Yeah, that "Global Warming Denier" thing is a joke. I mean, Come On! I thought the people who are pushing that are supposed to be so 'Open Minded', yet they are comparing people who don't agree with them to people who deny the Holocaust. That is as big an insult to the people who survived the Holocaust as when someone denies the Holocaust happened. That is such a horrid comaprison, but charateristic of the so called 'Open Minded Individuals' who just can't stand that everyone doesn't fall in behind them like good little sheep. :wacko:

And that 'Herstory' crap, yeah, I'll just let it drop while I go check to see if the 'Femail' is here yet.  :lol:

Barry
Barry, aka James ValEson, Captain of the starship USS Wolf 359, NCC-75820.

(Quotes from the dedication plaque for USS Wolf 359)

"This ship was built to honor those lost to the Borg at Wolf 359,
and made to keep it from happening again."
      - James Val Eson, at the launch of starship Wolf 359, NX-75820.

"Risk...Is our Business..."
     - James T. Kirk

And now some silly quotes from Mythbusters:
"I reject your reality, and substitue my own." Adam

"Quack! Damn you!" Jamie

#10 Rhys

Rhys

... a learning experience.

• Islander
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 09:54 AM

View PostDrew, on Dec 16 2006, 08:12 AM, said:

It seems strange to me that "Global Warming Denier" is considered the second-most offensive word of the year. Surely there are more offensive words out there. Michael Richards found one.  :Oo:

It's "Most Politically Incorrect", not "Most Offensive".  I think, for this one, it's all about context, as James detailed.

Rhys
"It's easy to bond over hating something together - The Internet is total proof of that." Cyd/Codex, The Guild

Change the world!  No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

#11 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 11:18 AM

View PostDWF, on Dec 15 2006, 04:55 PM, said:

http://news.yahoo.co.../us_nm/words_dc

In third was "Herstory" substituting for "History." Payack said there are nearly 900,000 Google citations for "Herstory," all based on a mistaken assumption that "history" is a sexist word.

"When Herodotus wrote the first history, the word meant simply an 'inquiry,"' he said.

History is a sexist word? :wacko:
It's the "all" that makes an idiot of Payack.  Of course all who use it are not using it for the reason he gives.  Sparky's got it right, it's an excellent pun and a prime bit of word play.  

'Herstory,' incidentally, has been around for decades.  The idea is to put the "her" into history where it belongs, and, like all words produced by pun, has little if anything to do with the etymology of the original word.  Methinks Payack is merely indulging in snark.  :rolleyes:

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#12 Pallas

Pallas

Wicked--Like the Witch of the West

• Islander
  • 833 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 03:10 PM

You can thank postmodern feminists for that whole 'herstory' thing. According to the pomo fem theory, words have power and since the language is inherently gendered for masculine traits, like 'his'tory, it denotes that only men have history and therefore it's sexist because it implies women doesn't have history.

They're not exactly wrong (history is almost always seen by the perspective of the "great men") but they are exaggerating. Reams and reams of feminist literature since the mid-60s has changed that as the feminist perspective is applied to virtually everything. It has become an ideology, not just a social movement (which, in part, has led to the decline of feminism as a movement and turning it into a joke...kind of like this thread).
We can do noble acts without ruling the earth and sea--Aristotle

#13 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 01:15 AM

I've heard the whole "herstory" thing before...by some of the same people that insist that they're "womyn" instead of "woman".  Heck, my college even had the Wemyns Center.  I constantly had to repress my urge to correct their spelling everytime one of their fliers came out.

They need something better to do, and a much better cause to fight for then political spelling
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#14 Raina

Raina

Cpt. Raina 'Starlee'

• Validation Team
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 02:49 AM

View PostNikcara, on Dec 16 2006, 10:15 PM, said:

I've heard the whole "herstory" thing before...by some of the same people that insist that they're "womyn" instead of "woman".  Heck, my college even had the Wemyns Center.  I constantly had to repress my urge to correct their spelling everytime one of their fliers came out.

They need something better to do, and a much better cause to fight for then political spelling
That's about as annoying to me as feminists who insist that everyone's a "person", not a "man" or "woman". I'm tempted to go up to them and say: You have a p*ssy and t*ts instead of a d*ck and balls, so either get a sex change or accept it.

I'm all for women's rights, but I feel like feminism has gone too far past the line and well into something else.
:unsure:

"First thing they tell you is to assume you're already dead... dead men don't get scared or freeze up under fire. Me, I'm just worried that hell's gonna be a lonely place. And I'm gonna fill it up with every toaster son of a bitch I find." -Racetrack

"I believe what goes around comes around and if I am the instrument of 'coming round' then I'll do it happily. " -Shal

Viper Squadron CAG
Roman Warrior
Browncoat

#15 JamesValEson

JamesValEson

Indomitable Cowbell Juggernaut

• Islander
  • 406 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:41 AM

View PostNikcara, on Dec 17 2006, 12:15 AM, said:

That's so outlandish that it's rediculous. The person or persons wo came up with that need to see a counselor, 'cause they have some Major issues, and I don't just mean that as an insult. If someone is so....I don't know how to describe it, bent out of shape over something like that, then they really do have major issues.

Barry

PS: Raina: I think with alot of the types who fixate on such trivial things, they likely have nothing else to truly gripe about, at least anything that they can really affect, and so they start coming up with these strange new causes. That's all I can think of as to the 'Why' of it.

Edited by JamesValEson, 20 December 2006 - 07:44 AM.

Barry, aka James ValEson, Captain of the starship USS Wolf 359, NCC-75820.

(Quotes from the dedication plaque for USS Wolf 359)

"This ship was built to honor those lost to the Borg at Wolf 359,
and made to keep it from happening again."
      - James Val Eson, at the launch of starship Wolf 359, NX-75820.

"Risk...Is our Business..."
     - James T. Kirk

And now some silly quotes from Mythbusters:
"I reject your reality, and substitue my own." Adam

"Quack! Damn you!" Jamie

#16 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 12:45 PM

View PostDrew, on Dec 16 2006, 08:12 AM, said:

Sounds like the author has a bee in his "Bonnet".
Can't Touch This!!

#17 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 01:13 PM

Mark: I can't speak for all the "deniers of global warming", but I can't see where they can deny the world is warming. It is.
Whether or not humans are responsible for global warming is the only contention that I can see.
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#18 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 01:43 PM

Herstory is a pun, but there is a serious idea behind it. Winners write history, simply because they have the resources. And naturally, they write about the details that interests them. And this isn't about women - it's about everybody that is unimportant. The women that came up with this idea ask why we know so little about the people who lost all those famous wars. Why we know so little about the everyday lives of most of the people in history - the farmers and country communities. And this lack of power, being on the "losing" side, applies to women as well - we know so little about their lives - for two reasons:
1. They were not important, not interesting enough for the writers of their time. The hard everyday life isn't something they thought was worth mentioning a often.
2. The historians never bothered to search for resources in this field, because they didn't think it is interesting.

This is what "herstory" is about - it's a pun and it's a general name for history research about all people that were left in the shadows of history and history research.
Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings.

#19 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 03:04 PM

View PostDWF, on Dec 15 2006, 05:33 PM, said:

Maybe they should change Herodotus to "Himodotus" then.  :crazy:

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AWESOME!!!!!! :devil:
Posted Image

#20 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 04:38 PM

FRANCIS: it is the inalienable right of every man--
STAN: Or woman.
FRANCIS: Or woman... to rid himself--
STAN: Or herself.
FRANCIS: Or herself.
REG: Agreed.
FRANCIS: Thank you, brother.
STAN: Or sister.
FRANCIS: Or sister. Where was I?
REG: I think you'd finished.
FRANCIS: Oh. Right.

Ah, Monty Python. :love:
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Culture, Politically incorrect words, "Macaca", Sen. George Allen R-VA, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users