• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 06:07 PM

View PostEnmar, on Dec 20 2006, 10:43 AM, said:

Herstory is a pun, but there is a serious idea behind it. Winners write history, simply because they have the resources. And naturally, they write about the details that interests them. And this isn't about women - it's about everybody that is unimportant. The women that came up with this idea ask why we know so little about the people who lost all those famous wars. Why we know so little about the everyday lives of most of the people in history - the farmers and country communities. And this lack of power, being on the "losing" side, applies to women as well - we know so little about their lives - for two reasons:
1. They were not important, not interesting enough for the writers of their time. The hard everyday life isn't something they thought was worth mentioning a often.
2. The historians never bothered to search for resources in this field, because they didn't think it is interesting.

This is what "herstory" is about - it's a pun and it's a general name for history research about all people that were left in the shadows of history and history research.

Well said.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#22 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:27 PM

never mind.

Edited by Digital Man, 20 December 2006 - 07:30 PM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#23 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:29 PM

computer hiccup

Edited by Digital Man, 20 December 2006 - 07:31 PM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#24 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 02:05 AM

View PostJamesValEson, on Dec 20 2006, 12:41 PM, said:

That's so outlandish that it's rediculous. The person or persons wo came up with that need to see a counselor, 'cause they have some Major issues, and I don't just mean that as an insult. If someone is so....I don't know how to describe it, bent out of shape over something like that, then they really do have major issues.

Barry

PS: Raina: I think with alot of the types who fixate on such trivial things, they likely have nothing else to truly gripe about, at least anything that they can really affect, and so they start coming up with these strange new causes. That's all I can think of as to the 'Why' of it.

But there are so much better things to fight for than that.  Even if they've had a cushy life, why worry so much about how something is spelled?  If you're going to change the world, go fight hunger, or poverty, or any number of other things.  If you feel overwhelemed by that, go down and volunteer time at a hospital or senior citizens center or or teaching illiterate adults to read or anything useful.

We have the power to effect alot more than we give ourselves credit for.  If you ever go spend even a little time at a nursing home just to visit with some of the patients who don't have family coming, you can see how much you can make a difference.  That's why these people bother me so much.  They spend so much just time and energy and only manage to annoy most people when they can use that time and energy for something that matters.  What makes it worse, in my experiance the people who put so much time/energy into being offended by dumb stuff also get annoyed with you if you make the suggestion that they actually get off their butt and help someone who needs it.
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Culture, Politically incorrect words, "Macaca", Sen. George Allen R-VA, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users