• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#1 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 10:43 PM

WORCESTER— Tempers boiled over at an anti-gay marriage rally yesterday when the executive director of the Boston-based Catholic Citizenship emerged from behind a lectern outside City Hall, rushed toward a female counter-demonstrator, and pushed her to the ground.

Sarah Loy, 27, of Worcester was holding a sign in defense of same-sex marriage amid a sea of green “Let the People Vote” signs when Larry Cirignano of Canton, who heads the Catholic Citizenship group, ran into the crowd, grabbed her by both shoulders and told her, “You need to get out. You need to get out of here right now.” Mr. Cirignano then pushed her to the ground, her head slamming against the concrete sidewalk.
As Ms. Loy lay motionless on the ground, crying, Mr. Cirignano ran back behind the lectern, where moments before he had opened the afternoon rally by leading a recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance.  

“Heaven will not be heaven if our children are not there with us,” Mr. Cirignano told the crowd, while counter-demonstrators, most of whom remained behind same-sex marriage opponents, chanted “Shame, shame, shame, shame.”

“Four judges do not get to decide what sin is,” Mr. Cirignano said, as a chant of “Let the people vote” began to drown out the counter-demonstrators, who were outnumbered about 200 to 50.

Ms. Loy was holding a sign that read, “No discrimination in the Constitution” and counter-demonstrators were chanting, “You lost, go home, get over it,” when she was pushed to the ground. Afterward, Ms. Loy, in tears, arose and yelled to no one in particular, “That’s what hate does. That’s what hate does.”

Police interviewed Mr. Cirignano, but did not arrest him.

Somebody give this chick a medal.  And take note of a mainstream religious leader of Boston in full on, apocalyptic meltdown (to roars of approval from the crowd).  Nothing short of the survival of Heaven itself is on the line here.  To be fair, they just lost all hope of overturning gay marriage in the state when the Legislature voted to recess the Constitutional Convention without taking a vote.  

The State's Supreme Judicial Court has ruled that the Legislature cannot be compelled to vote, which--and I get how self-serving this will sound--seems pretty wise to me at the moment as a bulwark against the tyranny of democracy.  In this case, 170,000 homophobes signed a petition seeking to overturn the State's gay marriage law, which was created by court order.

Hat tip: Towleroad

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#2 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 11:12 PM

The mother-f**ker who pushed her to the ground wasn't busted for assault?!?  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

g*dd*mn homophobic BASTARD!!!  :glare:  :crazy:  :angry:

Way ta go, Worcester cops!  :glare: Pat yourselves on the back for a job WELL DONE!  :angry:

:sarcasm:  :sarcasm:  :sarcasm:  :sarcasm:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#3 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 11:16 PM

I hope that poor woman got her head checked by a doctor. :( She needs to get her head checked as soon as possible to make sure there's no fracture. :( :(

Not to mention...

...suing the pants off that s.o.b for ASSAULT.

:glare:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#4 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:08 AM

View PostDigital Man, on Dec 18 2006, 11:16 PM, said:

...suing the pants off that s.o.b for ASSAULT.

:glare:

Hey! That's MY line.  ;)

I really would like to know why the cops didn't arrest this guy though, cause unless they have a pretty good reason...and right now I can't think of any...I'd say include them in the lawsuit as well.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#5 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:33 AM

“Heaven will not be heaven if our children are not there with us,” Mr. Cirignano told the crowd, while counter-demonstrators, most of whom remained behind same-sex marriage opponents, chanted “Shame, shame, shame, shame.”

Is it just me, or in the context of the demonstration is that statement just a complete non-sequitur?  :Oo:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#6 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 04:08 AM

Here's the local news source on it.

I'd just as soon not rely on sites with their own agendas... No offense intended as this intimately effects my family. My aunt and her partner are also residents of this state.

http://www.telegram..../612170507/1116

Police interviewed Mr. Cirignano, but did not arrest him. Ms. Loy said she intended to file a complaint against him.

One police officer told her, “It is not acceptable for anyone to put their hands on you.” Ms. Loy responded, “That man was violating my rights to demonstrate peaceably.”

Later she said, “I wanted to be in that crowd and show them a different perspective.”

Mr. Cirignano explained that he felt Ms. Loy was getting too close to the lectern. She was in the middle of the crowd to the left of the speakers when the incident happened, about 30 feet from the microphone. Most in the crowd did not seem aware of the incident involving Mr. Cirignano and Ms. Loy.

Here's a quickie from the Boston Phoenix Newspaper... One of those non-mainstream Publications.

http://72.166.46.24/...ts/03702313.asp

Torrisi and a number of his colleagues, meanwhile, can’t help but see the Church’s current fight as somewhat hypocritical. How can a spiritual organization that places greater significance on covering up priestly assaults on children than on stopping an epidemic of abuse funnel so many resources into barring same-sex couples from civil marriage? How can an institution that never once sent out a mailer detailing the ills associated with the sex-abuse scandal do so with gay and lesbian unions? The Church’s lobbying seems especially maddening in light of what has happened to former Springfield bishop Thomas Dupre. While legislators were debating an anti-gay-marriage amendment at the February 12 ConCon, Dupre abruptly resigned his post after accusations surfaced that he had sexually assaulted two teenage boys in the 1970s and ’80s. (One of his alleged victims, a 40-year-old gay man, came forward only because he was outraged by the bishop’s outspoken opposition to same-sex marriage.) Dupre is now facing a criminal investigation for child molestation. Says Torrisi, "The Catholic leadership on this issue is hard to swallow. With everything else going on in the Church, gay marriage is the least of its worries."

Edited by Natolii, 19 December 2006 - 04:15 AM.

"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that don’t even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#7 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 09:02 AM

View PostNatolii, on Dec 19 2006, 04:08 AM, said:

One police officer told her, “It is not acceptable for anyone to put their hands on you.”

I can't help but shake my head at the inconsistence here. The cop was absolutely correct in his statement, but by not arresting the guy who assaulted her, they are basically telling her that it is ok for someone to put their hands on her.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#8 Dev F

Dev F

Straighten your pope hat!

• Islander
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 09:35 AM

View PostDrew, on Dec 18 2006, 11:33 PM, said:

Is it just me, or in the context of the demonstration is that statement just a complete non-sequitur?  :Oo:
I'm no expert, but it also sounds sort of, uh . . . blasphemous. Is it really in keeping with the tenets of Christianity to suggest that the actions of men can make Heaven less of a paradise?

#9 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 09:38 AM

“Heaven will not be heaven if our children are not there with us,” Mr. Cirignano told the crowd,

And, see, this is part of my problem with the whole "Heaven" concept:  guys like this shmuck are apparently getting in.  So, what's the motivation for a guy like me, who finds the idea of spending even five minutes on earth with a jerk like Mr. Cirignano (or Jerry Fallwell, or Pat Robertson, or Kurt Cameron,  or Tim LaHaye, or...) almost intolerable?   An eternity with these folks would be Hell.  So, that kinda kills the options.

Since I'm pretty sure that'd if I got stuck in an elevator with Stephen Baldwin for over twenty minutes I'd probably set myself on fire anyway, I dunno if I shouldn't just start hailing Satan?  

I still think the vast majority of religious people mean well, and I know too many good ones to ever just give up on 'em completely, but damn if it doesn't get hard sometimes to keep flowing slack when crap like this keeps happening over and over again.  If that's what they get out of a god of love, then what's left to the devil?

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#10 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 10:04 AM

View PostZwolf, on Dec 19 2006, 08:38 AM, said:

“Heaven will not be heaven if our children are not there with us,” Mr. Cirignano told the crowd,

And, see, this is part of my problem with the whole "Heaven" concept:  guys like this shmuck are apparently getting in.  

Ah....but maybe he isn't getting in. ;)   Until we get there ourselves we do not know who will be there.  

And I tend to think that self-righteous jerks are only deluding themselves about their chances...

Especially when they go around knocking people down who do not agree with them.  

I still think the vast majority of religious people mean well, and I know too many good ones to ever just give up on 'em completely, but damn if it doesn't get hard sometimes to keep flowing slack when crap like this keeps happening over and over again. If that's what they get out of a god of love, then what's left to the devil?

I often wonder about these people whose version of God seems to be a vengeful, angry God.  

The God I know is a loving and kind one who wants us all to get along and learn to understand and love each other, not beat each other up.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#11 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 10:11 AM

See, I think it's guys like this who scripture was talking about when it says that these people will all come before God saying "Look at all the great stuff I did in your name!" and God says "Get outta here. I never knew you."
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#12 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 10:22 AM

View Posttrikay, on Dec 19 2006, 07:04 AM, said:

View PostZwolf, on Dec 19 2006, 08:38 AM, said:

And, see, this is part of my problem with the whole "Heaven" concept:  guys like this shmuck are apparently getting in.  

Ah....but maybe he isn't getting in. ;)   Until we get there ourselves we do not know who will be there.  

And I tend to think that self-righteous jerks are only deluding themselves about their chances...

Especially when they go around knocking people down who do not agree with them.  

I still think the vast majority of religious people mean well, and I know too many good ones to ever just give up on 'em completely, but damn if it doesn't get hard sometimes to keep flowing slack when crap like this keeps happening over and over again. If that's what they get out of a god of love, then what's left to the devil?

I often wonder about these people whose version of God seems to be a vengeful, angry God.  

The God I know is a loving and kind one who wants us all to get along and learn to understand and love each other, not beat each other up.

BINGO!!!!

Too many So-called Christians (seems to be my favorite term, but I don't know how to seperate them otherwise :) ) do nonsense like this and damage the reputation of true Christians. The ones who don't attack other people, who try to live as Jesus tells and who will not push Christ on you but answer any questions you might have as best as they can, are lumped with these.....people. These So-called Christians are, in my mind, making a very effective attack on Christians. By showing us as hating and hatefull, they weaken any good we try to do.

This guy needs to be arrested and sued.

LoP

Edited by Lover of Purple, 19 December 2006 - 10:26 AM.

#13 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 10:38 AM

I just don't get why, if there's an all-powerful god, he suffers people to do this stuff in his name.  Why would Allah put up with the jihadis?  Why would Jesus let "round up the unbelievers and kill them" games go into production?  

When Kurt Cobain started finding jerks among Nirvana's audience, he started confronting them at shows and stuck a big "If you're one of these people who hate other races or gays or whatever, don't listen to us, don't buy our music."  And Kurt was just a very flawed human, but made a stand... so, I don't get why so many hate-mongers-in-the-name-of-religion prosper so much from it when a powerful diety could put the quietus on it, fast.

Granted, I'm an athiest and I don't believe any of it, but, approaching it like I would a story plotline, it doesn't make sense to me, and I imagine believers have a hard time reconciling these things.  I do, just in my attempts to be sympathetic.  I like Jesus as a philosopher, I think he's one of the greats, but things like this are why I couldn't buy him as a god, even if I believed in gods.  Same for Mohammed.  There's just too much bad mixed in there with the good... although I admit the good is plentiful, too.

I know that these creepy hater types are bad representatives, and I don't hold the other believers accountable for the actions of a few (just as I wouldn't want to be held responsible for some of the sillier athiests who think it's a big deal to take "under God" out of the pledge of allegiance, or to not say "Merry Christmas" - I mean, what the heck, let people say what they want in a free country).   I just don't know how the god, if it were real, puts up with what's done in its name.   But that's one of those unanswerable things, I reckon.   If there were a heaven, I'd hope these guys would answer for their crap there.  Meanwhile, just in case, I hope they suffer for 'em here a good bit, too... :)

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#14 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 11:31 AM

I'm assuming he *will* be arrested when she swears out her complaint -- and the reason he wasn't at the time is the cops feared it would touch off a riot.  (The article notes that most of the people in the crowd didn't have any idea what had happened.  They would've seen their leader getting hauled off in handcuffs and thought the Rapture had arrived or some such.)    

And, Natoli--I linked directly to the article in my post, but included the "hat tip" to Towleroad (the site "with an agenda," as you termed it) because that's where I found it in the first place.  The cut-down of the article (into excerpts) is my own.

Edited by ScottEVill, 19 December 2006 - 11:31 AM.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#15 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 11:35 AM

View PostZwolf, on Dec 19 2006, 09:38 AM, said:

I just don't get why, if there's an all-powerful god, he suffers people to do this stuff in his name.  Why would Allah put up with the jihadis?  Why would Jesus let "round up the unbelievers and kill them" games go into production?

Free will an' all that. God apparently doesn't want believer-bots wandering doing God's will because they've been programmed them to. Rather, apparently the plan is to have people obey God out of free will. Unfortunately, some very terrible things have been done in the name of God. Happily, some very wonderful things, too.

It's all supposed to sort itself out in the end.

I am wary about people using the fear of hell as an impetus to get people to turn to God. Similarly, I'm wary about people using "Ticket to Heaven" as a selling point. I think God is quite concerned with the here and now, and wants believers to act as God's hands to a hurting world. And I think God is pretty pissed off when instead of helping heal the hurt, they add to it. But . . . free will again.

#16 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 11:54 AM

Funny that, God wants us to have free will, but radicals of any religious stripe want us to give up free will in exchange for slavish obedience to their doctrine

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#17 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,147 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:16 PM

Free will, free speech, it's all subject to interpretation.

We give hate mongers a hassle because they spout hate, but we in turn deny them free speech.

I recently sent the Old Testament to be considered for a target for the Royal Canadian Air Farce to fire the Chicken at. It causes a great deal of hatred.

Personally I feel the ploy to give people ever lasting life, that feeds on the fears of the unknown, has always been a very viable means to con people into believing what ever your agenda. That agenda is oft the picking of pockets in the name of the lord.

So no matter whom your God is, in the end most have been promoted not just for the good reasons that they represent, but to make a living wage as well. If that involved turning people against each other in an effort to keep them in your fold, then so be it.

That priest should be disrobed IMHO because he's preaching hate in the name of ever lasting life. Let him speak his mind, but not as an emissary from Jesus who's edict was to love one another.

Edited by D.Rabbit, 19 December 2006 - 12:18 PM.

7 verses I know you're there behind the veil.

#18 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:18 PM

View PostZwolf, on Dec 19 2006, 07:38 AM, said:

Because "all powerful" is not the same as "grand puppet master who doesn't let people make their own choices".  But maybe that's a topic for a different day.

Lil
Posted Image

#19 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:24 PM

View PostDrew, on Dec 19 2006, 08:35 AM, said:

I think God is quite concerned with the here and now, and wants believers to act as God's hands to a hurting world. And I think God is pretty pissed off when instead of helping heal the hurt, they add to it. But . . . free will again.

I think so too.  I'm always surprised how the teachings of Christ have somehow has eluded the modern day Christian in practice.  Surprised and dismayed, because loving thy neighbor is the true beauty in the teachings of Christ.

Matthew 22:35 Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,
36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#20 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:30 PM

Speaking as an atheist, I've always wondered if the world would have been any different had those two been reversed in importance.

Edited by Godeskian, 19 December 2006 - 12:30 PM.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LGBT, Anti-Gay Demonstration, Hate, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users