• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 01:29 PM

Nifong also is charged with breaking a rule against "dishonesty, fraud, deceit and misrepresentation." The bar said that when DNA testing failed to find any evidence a lacrosse player raped the accuser, Nifong told a reporter the players might have used condoms.

According to the bar, Nifong knew that assertion was misleading, because he had received a report from an emergency room nurse in which the accuser said her attackers did not use condoms.

Duke DA Charged with Ethics Violations

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#42 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 01:30 PM

The DA certainly deserves to be brought up on ethics charges. What a jackass. :sarcasm:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#43 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 06:48 PM

My only regret about the DA being charged with ethics violation is that he won't spend any jail time. Here's hoping they do the right thing and disbar him, preventing him from ruining any other innocent people's name for his own political gain.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#44 Heropa

Heropa

Phantom of the Obtuse - Pubic Defender

• Islander
  • 474 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:15 PM

Somebody mentioned the NAACP. A group created because of rampant unfairness in America against Black Americans. The Advancement part of the name is about pushing through the blocks put in the way for racial reasons.

If you look to the reasons we have it you'll see that we once had an age of deceit in the guise of Propriety. What a white person said "had to be the truth" when held up to any other race. Anyone white could spit out a lie to turn things they wanted against non-whites. Therefore when a white woman said a non-white man had raped her it had to be the truth. In 1932 Hawaii, this happened with "The Massie Affair" where an attention grabbing young woman wanted to cause trouble. This put the test to the judicial actions of White Americans in Hawaii and it's native people.

http://www.pbs.org/s...e/sf_media.html

Not only did a woman accuse four native men of raping her when they couldn't have been in the area, but her mother and some sailors kidnapped and killed one of the men, got caught and had their ten year sentence commuted to one hour.

So, in 2006 we had the tables turned, and better science to say not guilty. Will we have people still trying to call them rapist? They don't NEED the NAACP to help them.
Your Heropa.
Here for something- there you go.

If you can't say anything nice, be accurate.

#45 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 07:46 AM

One thing on the DA and ethics charges - when exactly did he make the statement? Was it after the girl had changed her story a dozen times? We know that he received the report, but do we know that he read it? Even if he read it; even if he knew that she said that; maybe he thought that the girl was confused or didn't remember correctly.

Cases should not be tried in the media; reporters really should refrain from asking questions; DAs should probably refrain from speculation in a case and should stick to the facts. In this case, though, what facts did he even have?!

#46 JamesValEson

JamesValEson

Indomitable Cowbell Juggernaut

• Islander
  • 406 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 08:29 AM

View PostCheile, on Dec 23 2006, 02:31 PM, said:

View PostScottEVill, on Dec 22 2006, 02:24 PM, said:

I dunno, maybe I knew and forgot, but -- again -- this isn't about race.  It's about the credibility of the accuser.

of course it's not supposed to be about race; it's supposed to be about getting a rape victim some justice.  but in a Southern state where racism is still practiced, condoned and permitted, you can bet it factors in in its own subtle way.

I hate to tell you, but the thing that makes it, at least partially, about race was the way it was all stated in the media, as well as Malik Zulu Imablacksupremecist Shabazz having a big press hooplah about it.

So try to not just make it about the racism of the Whites, because when you have an organization that has jumped into countless other situations Without thinking and investigating, all the while chanting 'Black Power' after they're little press junkets, it shows that the racisim isn't just coming from one side. You especially see that when these guys are on the wrong side of the situation, and yet you never hear them apologize when they take part in smearing someone for the rest of that person's life when it was not deserved.

On the whole story, when I first heard about it, like alot of you, I was saying 'Stick it to those cretins!'. I was one of the guys who got knocked around by jocks in high school, and have no time for them and their 'holier than art thou' attitude. But as more and more of the story came out, I statred wondering if it wasn't a sham, and every time something comes out about this story, I just get more and more skepticle about it. Be it the pics and cards from where ever, the way Nifongs keeps screwing up, the guys chanting 'Black Power', the chanigin story, whatever, I just keep thinking more and more that there's nothing to this.

I hope this all clears up soon, with the truth out, and Nifong in the slammer for what he did. This needs closure.

This does bring up a whole other argument, about wether or not the accuser, should she be found to be completely lying about this, should be prosecuted for what she did.

Barry

Barry
Barry, aka James ValEson, Captain of the starship USS Wolf 359, NCC-75820.

(Quotes from the dedication plaque for USS Wolf 359)

"This ship was built to honor those lost to the Borg at Wolf 359,
and made to keep it from happening again."
      - James Val Eson, at the launch of starship Wolf 359, NX-75820.

"Risk...Is our Business..."
     - James T. Kirk

And now some silly quotes from Mythbusters:
"I reject your reality, and substitue my own." Adam

"Quack! Damn you!" Jamie

#47 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 09:25 AM

Now Duke University is inviting 2 of the boys back: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16455501/

This is just unbelievable.

“We feel that this is a very important moment,” said Finnerty’s lawyer, Wade Smith. “This announcement speaks to Duke’s integrity as an institution, to its mission, and to its belief in Collin Finnerty’s innocence.”
What intergrity? Duke University threw these boys to the wolves (the media), and acted as if they had already been found guilty. This University has clearly shown that it has no intergrity. That it will not prejudge its students, and automatically assume the worst. Hopefully these boys tell Duke where to stick it, and decide to go elsewhere...Unless, of course, Duke wants to show just how sorry they are for their treatment of these boys, and give them tuition free years, til graduation.

And why are only 2 invited back, and not all of them.

However, university officials made it clear that their estimation of the prosecution’s case has changed.

“As circumstances have evolved in this extraordinary case, we have attempted to balance recognition of the gravity of legal charges with the presumption of your innocence,” Moneta said in a letter to Seligmann and Finnerty dated Tuesday.

“Now with the approach of a new term, we believe that circumstances warrant that we strike this balance differently. At this point, continued extension of the administrative leave would do unwarranted harm to your educational progress.”

What a crock. If they truly believed this they would've made this offer to all 3, not just two of the boys. So apparently they are still prejudging Evans, and have decided he is guilty. I seriously hope Duke University's enrollment suffers drastically, and parents decide to send their children to different colleges.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#48 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 09:48 AM

The third accused graduated Duke in May, hon.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#49 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:31 AM

I think all three need to sue the college and take out huge ads in papers warning students that if you are accussed of a crime Duke will not stand by you if you are a white man.  And the school should be required to give them the money to do it.

Why because that is exactly what happened here.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#50 JamesValEson

JamesValEson

Indomitable Cowbell Juggernaut

• Islander
  • 406 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:17 PM

Yeah, if I was these guys, I'd tell Duke U to go [have lots of carnal fun] with themselves. What a joke.

Barry
Barry, aka James ValEson, Captain of the starship USS Wolf 359, NCC-75820.

(Quotes from the dedication plaque for USS Wolf 359)

"This ship was built to honor those lost to the Borg at Wolf 359,
and made to keep it from happening again."
      - James Val Eson, at the launch of starship Wolf 359, NX-75820.

"Risk...Is our Business..."
     - James T. Kirk

And now some silly quotes from Mythbusters:
"I reject your reality, and substitue my own." Adam

"Quack! Damn you!" Jamie

#51 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 06:50 PM

At least they invited them back.  The fact is, the public relations outcry would've been worse for these boys and for Duke if they went right back to their lives in September when the semester started.  Now that the most serious charge has been dropped and it looks as if the case is basically going to be thrown out very soon, there's less of a worry that these people will be targeted.  Not that this clearly doesn't smack of politics and I hope that both men tell the university to go to hell (and I'm betting there will be a defamation lawsuit against the lying accuser as well) and head elsewhere.

Their lives have been ruined, but it really isn't Duke's fault.  The university was caught between a rock and a very hard place because of Nifong's mouth.
"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#52 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 07:15 PM

View PostChipper, on Jan 4 2007, 06:50 PM, said:

The fact is, the public relations outcry would've been worse for these boys and for Duke if they went right back to their lives in September when the semester started.

That should've been their decision though, not the University's. But, then again, if something happened and they were attacked, then Duke might be sued for not providing enough security...But to just treat them as if they were automatically guilty is unforgivable.

Their lives have been ruined, but it really isn't Duke's fault.  The university was caught between a rock and a very hard place because of Nifong's mouth.

Oh Nifong did put them in a tough spot...Where they could either treat the boys as innocent until proven guilty, or as in Nifong's worldview...guilty as sin and should be stoned to death. The University sided with Nifong...it's too late for them to try and switch sides now.

#53 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 08:55 AM

Look the party violated school policy and punishing them for that is acceptable. In fact nessicary. But the school could have remained neutral and not appeared to be on the side of those saying the boys were guilty. I know it will place a burden on the school and it's ability to stay open if they are forced to pay for their actions. But no one put a gun to their head. Duke took this action to be ahead in the PR game. For that fact they deserve to be sued.

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#54 Heropa

Heropa

• Islander
  • 474 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 01:34 PM

The party and it's location broke the Duke Athletics Behavior Agreement. There was alcohol. If the school had stated ONLY that the students were being punished for the party, and then had shut up, they would have had to punish all of those students at the party equally. Other students were given a quiet little reprimand and left to go to class. They made the mistake of first raising the punishment for the students accused of rape, and secondly not distancing themselves from the case by saying nothing.

These guys will have a case eeven after they graduate.  ...But if I were one of them I wouldn't help them win any games!
Your Heropa.

#55 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:13 PM

I don't think Duke had much recourse at the beginning of the case except to suspend the players. Can you imagine the hue and cry if they hadn't? :sarcasm:  :suspect: There would have been all sorts of screaming about letting accused rapists continue to go to classes.

Edited by Rhea, 05 January 2007 - 11:14 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#56 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:27 PM

Rhea Suspend them for the party? Maybe but then you would need to suspend the attendees. That would have been fair.

Suspend them for being accused of rape? What happens when they are found not guilty of rape? What if it turns out that they are falesly accussed. What do you do to make it up? Offer them back Status Quo? Don't they deserve something like an sign of atonement?

See the school could have dropped the all those that attended. Or they should have allowed the men to continue attending school till they are actually found guilty. Of course suspend them from sports for the violation of having booze and strippers at their party. That was a actual violation of NCAA rules I believe.

TANSTAAFL

#57 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:38 PM

. Of course suspend them from sports for the violation of having booze and strippers at their party. That was a actual violation of NCAA rules I believe.

Not that I know of, speaking as an NCAA athlete.  We basically are supposed to represent the school in the best manner possible, but there isn't anything preventing us from drinking and doing other things.  They prevent us from using performance enhancing drugs and from betting on college sports.  I have never signed any forms saying I cannot host parties, etc.  It's just a matter of common sense (which, to be honest, no one my age has anyway).
"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#58 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:38 PM

View PostRhea, on Jan 5 2007, 11:13 PM, said:

I don't think Duke had much recourse at the beginning of the case except to suspend the players. Can you imagine the hue and cry if they hadn't? :sarcasm:  :suspect: There would have been all sorts of screaming about letting accused rapists continue to go to classes.

And what happened to "Innocent until proven Guilty"?

#59 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:47 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on Jan 5 2007, 08:38 PM, said:

View PostRhea, on Jan 5 2007, 11:13 PM, said:

And what happened to "Innocent until proven Guilty"?

I never said it was right, just understandable. They would have been reamed up one side and down the other if they hadn't taken some action. I'm just glad they offered to let them come back (I wouldn't go back, though, if I were them).
- Robert A. Heinlein

#60 Heropa

Heropa

• Islander
  • 474 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:48 PM

Duke made the mistake of ONLY hitting the accused men of the party when all of the guys at the party needed it. In efffect siding with the rape charges like they were guilty. By not acting with uniform punishment they showed bias worth paying for.
Your Heropa.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Alleged Rape, Duke University, Charges Dropped, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users