Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Saddam Hussein To Die in 30 Days

Iraq Saddam Hussein Execution in 30 days 2006

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#1 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 02:38 PM

Yahoo

Court: Execute Saddam within 30 days

By QASSIM ABDUL-ZAHRA, Associated Press Writer1 hour, 23 minutes ago

Iraq's highest appeals court on Tuesday upheld Saddam Hussein's death sentence and said he must be hanged within 30 days for the killing of 148 Shiites in the central city of Dujail.

The sentence "must be implemented within 30 days," chief judge Aref Shahin said. "From tomorrow, any day could be the day of implementation."

On Nov. 5, an Iraqi court sentenced Saddam to the gallows for ordering the 1982 killings following an attempt on his life.

Under Iraqi law, the appeals court decision must be ratified by President Jalal Talabani and Iraq's two vice presidents. Talabani opposes the death penalty but has in the past deputized a vice president to sign an execution order on his behalf — a substitute that was legally accepted.

Raed Juhi, a spokesman for the High Tribunal court that convicted Saddam, said the judicial system would ensure that Saddam is executed even if Talabani and the two vice presidents do not ratify the decision.

"We'll implement the verdict by the power of the law," Juhi said. He did not elaborate.

The appeals court also upheld death sentences for Barzan Ibrahim, Saddam's half brother and intelligence chief during the Dujail killings, and Awad Hamed al-Bandar, head of Iraq's Revolutionary Court, which issued the death sentences against the Dujail residents.

The appeals court concluded the sentence of life imprisonment given to former vice president Taha Yassin Ramadan was too lenient and returned his file to the High Tribunal. Ramadan was convicted of premeditated murder in the Dujail case.

"We demand that he be sentenced to death," said Shahin, the appeals judge.

At his trial, Saddam argued that the Dujail residents who were killed had been convicted in a legitimate Iraqi court for trying to assassinate him in 1982.

The televised trial was watched throughout Iraq and the Middle East as much for theater as for substance. Saddam was ejected from the courtroom repeatedly for political harangues, and his half brother once showed up in long underwear and sat with his back to the judges.

The nine-month trial inflamed Iraq's political divide, however, and three defense lawyers and a witness were murdered during the course of its 39 sessions.

Saddam is in the midst of a second trial charging him with genocide and other crimes during a 1987-88 military crackdown on Kurds in northern Iraq. An estimated 180,000 Kurds died during the operation.

Saddam was found hiding with an unfired pistol in a hole in the ground near his home village north of Baghdad in December 2003, eight months after he fled the capital ahead of advancing American troops.

Saddam's room in Hell is being readied as we speak. Good riddance to bad rubbish.  :glare:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#2 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 02:54 PM

Hurray Ding Dong the Bastards dead. Pity it took so long to remove the man from power. But his real judge is comming to call and Saddam gets his deserved punishment.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#3 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 03:05 PM

View PostG1223, on Dec 26 2006, 02:54 PM, said:

Hurray Ding Dong the Bastards dead. Pity it took so long to remove the man from power. But his real judge is comming to call and Saddam gets his deserved punishment.

I actually wish I could believe there was a hell. But I don't. :eh:

I guess we'll have to be satisfied with Saddam sleeping the never-ending dirt nap. Maybe he'll serve some use as fertilizer for the flowers. :eh:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#4 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 03:39 PM

I don't expect him to last 24 hours, to be honest.
My candle burns at both its ends;
It will not last the night;
But oh, my foes, and oh, my friends --
It gives a lovely light."
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

#5 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 03:40 PM

I do like the way they did it. He got ONE appeal. Not a never ending stream of them. And once that appeal was done, on with the sentencing. Not this waiting of years and years and years, that the US seems to enjoy. 30 days. Bye bye. See ya, wouldn't want to be ya.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#6 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 04:24 PM

Well, the Kurds may try to get a stay of execution, at least until Saddam is tried for the gassing of Kurdish villages in the late 80's. But the Shiites want Saddam executed ASAP. So it will be interesting to see what happens now. I just hope that whether he's hanged tomorrow or not that his death doesn't simply become one more flashpoint for even more violence in Iraq.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#7 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 04:41 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Dec 26 2006, 04:24 PM, said:

Well, the Kurds may try to get a stay of execution, at least until Saddam is tried for the gassing of Kurdish villages in the late 80's. But the Shiites want Saddam executed ASAP. So it will be interesting to see what happens now. I just hope that whether he's hanged tomorrow or not that his death doesn't simply become one more flashpoint for even more violence in Iraq.

Um-what I don't get about the Kurds wanting to try him is that the end result is going to probably be the same, anyway-the hangman. :eh:

As to your second point-people there obviously don't need Saddam as a flashpoint to cause more violence. They'll ALWAYS find a reason-even if they have to make one up. :eh:
Posted Image

#8 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 05:02 PM

I think the Kurds would just like a chance to testify against Saddam and see him held legally accountable for what he did to them. True, the end result would be the same, but there's something cathartic about a trial.

As for the violence, yep. Unfortunately that's a given. If Saddam weren't sentenced to death, the Shiites would explode. When Saddam is hanged, the Sunnis will explode. And the Kurd won't erupt either way but many would prefer that the second trial continue.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#9 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 05:09 PM

Put him back in the hole where they found him and cement him in.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#10 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 05:26 PM

^^^

Harsh, but fair.
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

#11 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 05:51 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Dec 26 2006, 05:02 PM, said:

I think the Kurds would just like a chance to testify against Saddam and see him held legally accountable for what he did to them. True, the end result would be the same, but there's something cathartic about a trial.

As for the violence, yep. Unfortunately that's a given. If Saddam weren't sentenced to death, the Shiites would explode. When Saddam is hanged, the Sunnis will explode. And the Kurd won't erupt either way but many would prefer that the second trial continue.

I understand why the Kurds want a trial-but frankly, given Saddam's record, lots of folks are going to want their pound of flesh. Again-what's the point? That's more of a rhetorical question. I know there are many families who lost loved ones because of Saddam-but given that he'll be executed anyway, this will just be a waste of time, allowing him to breathe oxygen that other people have more rights to-IMNSHO.

It will just give Saddam what he still wants-to be the center of attention. End his existence. It's time to move on. You can't bring back the dead. Saddam feels no pity for the people he killed. End him as you would any other vermin, and move on.
Posted Image

#12 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 06:41 PM

I don't think he got a fair trial. I'm not sure he needed one, but I think he should have had one, and he didn't. Please understand, I think he's guilty, and I'd be quite happy for a fair trial to have found him guilty and sentenced him to death.

What I don't like is that this WASN'T a fair trial. It was a kangaroo court at best, and a travesty at worst, and the fact that it came up with roughly the same punishment that a fair trial should have reached is just a happy coincidence.

from the BBC article http://news.bbc.co.u...ast/6210245.stm

Before the sentencing session began, former US Attorney General Ramsey Clark was ejected from the courtroom after handing the judge a note in which he called the trial a "travesty".

Saddam Hussein's defence team had also accused the government of interfering in the proceedings - a complaint backed by US group Human Rights Watch.

Saddam could have had a fair trial, been fairly convicted, fairly sentenced and fairly executed, but that's not what we've got. Instead we have this ridiculous farce of a court, with an equally ridiculous farce of an ending.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#13 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 08:25 PM

I think he got as fair a trial as could be given. What he was suppose to be tried by the government of Holland? what crimes did he commit there. He was where his crimes were commited. The judges were not brought in from the US but were local people would could make the legal vedict.

If we had held the trial here it would be called unfair.
If it was held in any other country it would be called unfair.
I think if any trial had been had it would be called unfair.

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#14 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 09:03 PM

View PostGodeskian, on Dec 26 2006, 06:41 PM, said:

Before the sentencing session began, former US Attorney General Ramsey Clark was ejected from the courtroom after handing the judge a note in which he called the trial a "travesty".
You are taking the word of Ramsey Clark of all people?

Now he is the poster child of a whack job dingbat lefty internationalist if I've ever seen one.  This is the nut job who claimed some of Saddam's massacres were a case of "acting firmly" because Saddam was facing potential assassination and a war...  And then this is the also the same nut who said Milošević will be proven right by history and that charges are just that charges with no facts to back them.  He also said Saddam and Milošević  as commanders who were courageous enough to stand up to more powerful countries.

Ramsey Clark has all the credibility of Baghdad Bob.... this guy has been off his medication for awhile and its shocking that people still give him credibility.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#15 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 09:32 PM

Now now Ramsey had to watch out for his old buddy Milosevic. Do not judge him too badly.

TANSTAAFL

#16 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 09:33 PM

View PostGodeskian, on Dec 26 2006, 11:41 PM, said:

Saddam could have had a fair trial, been fairly convicted, fairly sentenced and fairly executed, but that's not what we've got. Instead we have this ridiculous farce of a court, with an equally ridiculous farce of an ending.

He got better than he gave others. When there was an attempted coup and assasination of Sadam, they announced the coup leaders guilty, led them one by one into an adjoining room where they were promptly shot in the head.

#17 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 10:10 PM

I dunno Gode, I think he got a fair trial based on what I was hearing this morning from legal scholars. In Iraq the sentence is handed down weeks before the explanation for the ruling is. According to these legal scholars (who were also concerned about the fairness of the trial) they read the almost 200 page summary of the verdict and felt it was done fairly, based on Iraqi law and with proper citings of the laws and the reasonings behind them. Now I saw this on CNN today and haven't really researched it personally though.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:41 AM

Why 30 days?  Get that filth off God's green earth asap.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#19 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:27 AM

^^^

I think that if people knew the exact date they would have riots in the street for days leading up to it.  At least now they'll only have riots once they produce the body.
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

#20 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 05:19 AM

^Actually, they don't have to wait 30 days. It could happen any time. It just has to happen BEFORE 30 days are up.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Iraq, Saddam Hussein, Execution in 30 days, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users