#21 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:02 AM

View PostCJ AEGIS, on Dec 27 2006, 02:03 AM, said:

View PostGodeskian, on Dec 26 2006, 06:41 PM, said:

Before the sentencing session began, former US Attorney General Ramsey Clark was ejected from the courtroom after handing the judge a note in which he called the trial a "travesty".
You are taking the word of Ramsey Clark of all people?

He is not the sole  voice, nor even if he is a 'whack job dingbat lefty internationalist ' does that automatically invalidate every word he says.

I find it immensely sad that so many people are okay with him not getting a fair trial because he was such a bad man. It seems to me that it's fair justice for everyone, or it might as well be for no-one.

No matter, I'm quite sure that once he's done and executed no one will care about the the way he was tried. All they'll care about is that he died.

Let the good times roll eh?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#22 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 09:21 AM

View PostGodeskian, on Dec 27 2006, 01:02 PM, said:

No matter, I'm quite sure that once he's done and executed no one will care about the the way he was tried. All they'll care about is that he died.

Let the good times roll eh?

Like you I have a hard time celebrating death. I used to wince in history class when we saw the old pictures of medevil England with the crowds gathered around a gallows having themselves a little party as a corpse is swinging in the breeze. *sigh* Not so different I suppose of the parties we see in Texas when they kill a prisoner.

Yes he was a bad person, yes he should be brought to justice but you will never see me celebrating a death sentance. Even on the internet where juding from this thread it is expected.

I do support the death penalty, although very reluctantly, because I think there are some very bad folks amoung us who just can't be rehabiliated. But I always start questioning it when I see another human being REJOICING in it!

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 27 December 2006 - 10:42 AM.

Posted Image

#23 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:25 AM

When you have a monster like this. Rejoicing at his death is one of the things to do.  It is the relief that soon a man who ordered the deaths of so many noncombatants will himself be hanged for his crimes.

Odd bit of trivia out of Iraq is the news of the capture of a Iranian military officer.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#24 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:47 AM

View PostG1223, on Dec 27 2006, 03:25 PM, said:

When you have a monster like this. Rejoicing at his death is one of the things to do.  It is the relief that soon a man who ordered the deaths of so many noncombatants will himself be hanged for his crimes.

Odd bit of trivia out of Iraq is the news of the capture of a Iranian military officer.

I just think there is a line between the understandable relief in a criminal being brought to justice and experesing outright joy that he is dead, or soon will be.

If you are going to praise something here then I think the priase should be directed at the a system that works, or praise the fact that this trail even happened in a nation that is close to complete anarchy.

Anyway, I just popped in to support Gode and will now sit back a little. :)

enTranced
Posted Image

#25 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:58 AM

This man is a mass murderer. He ordered the deaths of thousands of people. His being alive is a symbol to some and hammer to hold over the heads of others. So his death brings that threat to an end and maybe helps end the fighting in Iraq.

He has murdered by his own hand. Before becomming President he gunned down political enemies of his party and family. His death brings a measure of justice to the families of his direct victims.

To act like we must morn his passing or have a moment of silence out of a sense of humanity is wrong. This man was death for Thousands if not near a million of his own people. And he enjoyed his role.

His death and our being happy about it is like the end of WWII. Church Bells and Air Raid Horns need to sound a better day is here.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#26 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,147 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 11:14 AM

Screw the execution, just give him to the Kurds. They deserve a little justice of their own.
Can't Touch This!!

#27 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:03 PM

Posted Image

I wish I knew how to make it stay in the same window.

Edited by SparkyCola, 27 December 2006 - 08:04 PM.

Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#28 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:28 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on Dec 27 2006, 08:03 PM, said:

Posted Image

I wish I knew how to make it stay in the same window.

Assuming Gode is right and he did get a fair trial and was sentenced to death, you'd still be vehemently opposed to the death penalty, no matter what.

I respect your opinion, but we would have to agree to disagree.

:eh:

Edited by Digital Man, 27 December 2006 - 08:29 PM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#29 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:35 PM

^True DM, I'll always be anti-DP, fair trial or not, even in the case of Saddam Hussein.

And I agree that we should agree to disagree, and I too respect your opinion :)

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#30 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:13 AM

I feel sorry for the Kurds. People talk about the Palestinians being invisible people, but nobody advocates for the Kurds, whose traditional territory crosses three countries, and who really belong to none.

They should have been up first, but hey, who cares about genocide?  :wacko:

Of all the people who Saddam murdered, I personally would have liked to see them get THEIR day in court first - and now it doesn't look like they'll get one at all.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#31 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 01:17 AM

Hundreds of emails, calls, and letters are pouring in from people all over the world volunteering to perform the task of taking that bag of garbage out.  I wonder how many will be this willing when/if Bin Laden gets caught?
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#32 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 06:54 PM

Wow. Looks like they're not going to waste any time:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16384738/

NBC: Saddam to be hanged by Sunday
Ex-dictator’s execution expected to be carried out by start of Eid holiday

BREAKING NEWS
NBC News and news services
Updated: 5 minutes ago
Former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein, sentenced to death for his role in 148 killings in 1982, will have his sentence carried out by Sunday, NBC News reported Thursday. According to a U.S. military officer who spoke on condition of anonymity, Saddam will be hanged before the start of the Eid religious holiday, which begins this Sunday.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#33 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 07:07 PM

View PostSpidey, on Dec 28 2006, 01:17 AM, said:

Hundreds of emails, calls, and letters are pouring in from people all over the world volunteering to perform the task of taking that bag of garbage out.  I wonder how many will be this willing when/if Bin Laden gets caught?

Frelling millions.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#34 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 08:02 PM

All hell's going to break loose no matter what day he dies. :suspect:  :sarcasm:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#35 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 09:01 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on Dec 27 2006, 08:35 PM, said:

^True DM, I'll always be anti-DP, fair trial or not, even in the case of Saddam Hussein.
Call me biased.... but I think anyone who doesn't believe Saddam should be executed should have to listen to the stories of a few hundred of his victims families....  And then stand there and explain why Saddam shouldn't be killed.  

It'd be a interesting learning experience on how the real world operates.  And that the world really isn't warm, cuddly, or nice.  That some people do forfeit their right to life.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#36 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 09:09 PM

Hanging, huh? Ouch.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#37 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 09:15 PM

I'm not anti-death penalty. I'll be glad to know that Saddam is no longer trodding this earth, just as I was glad that when his odious sons bit the dust. However, I am worried about the repercussions. Some Sunnis are going to be even more unhappy campers and will be even more hellbent on killing some Shiites.

And, in a way, Saddam's viciousness has been matched by some of the people that we "liberated." Daily, dozens of bodies turn up in Iraq with drill holes in their heads, tortured to death. Shiites, Sunnis--all are producing their share of murderous mini-monsters.

So, eh, personally I don't mind that this lunatic will die. But I don't have any hope that it will bring closure to the hellish mess that is Iraq. Survivors of his brutality will no doubt feel some justice has been done. But they still have to worry about what lies ahead: kidnappings, IEDs, car bombs, torture....
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#38 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 09:18 PM

View PostCJ AEGIS, on Dec 28 2006, 09:01 PM, said:

View PostSparkyCola, on Dec 27 2006, 08:35 PM, said:

Call me biased.... but I think anyone who doesn't believe Saddam should be executed should have to listen to the stories of a few hundred of his victims families....  And then stand there and explain why Saddam shouldn't be killed.  

It'd be a interesting learning experience on how the real world operates.  And that the world really isn't warm, cuddly, or nice.  That some people do forfeit their right to life.

Well, having witnessed 9/11 first-hand-the greatest mass murder in American history-I understand what kind of horror those victims of Saddam must have gone through. I could have died on 9/11 myself. Had those terrorists employed any other method than a suicide dive into the towers, resulting in the same amount of people killed, you're damn straight I'd be calling for the hangman. :glare:

Saddam may be a human being-but he's also vermin.

Is the death penalty horrific? Sure it is. That's exactly the point. Let the killer know the fear his/her victims felt. If that makes me a cold s.o.b-fine by me. I'm not out to win popularity contests.

Seeing 9/11 first-hand solidified this POV permanently.:angry:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#39 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 09:28 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Dec 28 2006, 09:15 PM, said:

I'm not anti-death penalty. I'll be glad to know that Saddam is no longer trodding this earth, just as I was glad that when his odious sons bit the dust. However, I am worried about the repercussions. Some Sunnis are going to be even more unhappy campers and will be even more hellbent on killing some Shiites.

And, in a way, Saddam's viciousness has been matched by some of the people that we "liberated." Daily, dozens of bodies turn up in Iraq with drill holes in their heads, tortured to death. Shiites, Sunnis--all are producing their share of murderous mini-monsters.

So, eh, personally I don't mind that this lunatic will die. But I don't have any hope that it will bring closure to the hellish mess that is Iraq. Survivors of his brutality will no doubt feel some justice has been done. But they still have to worry about what lies ahead: kidnappings, IEDs, car bombs, torture....

Which is why I said that it doesn't really matter if Saddam is executed or not. The bloodlust is so deep that no excuse is required to go on murderous rampages. "You're a living, breathing human. That offends me. You must die." I really don't think that Saddam matters to many Iraqis any more. He's out of power for good, and he was going to get the hangman, no matter what. He's the past. Too many Iraqis are focusing on the here and now. Families are focusing on how to survive or leave Iraq. Warring factions are only interested in getting their pound of flesh. They don't have the time or patience to give a sh!t about Saddam. He doesn't matter any more.
Posted Image

#40 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 12:35 AM

View PostJosh, on Dec 28 2006, 06:09 PM, said:

Hanging, huh? Ouch.

A short drop and a sudden stop. ;)

America should send people to take notes.  It doesn't take hundreds of thousands of dollars to take some one out.  Just a strong rope, and some good lumber.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Iraq, Saddam Hussein, Execution in 30 days, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users