Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Saddam Hussein To Die in 30 Days

Iraq Saddam Hussein Execution in 30 days 2006

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#61 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:13 PM

Still nothing yet on Al Jazeera, the BBC, or Yahoo.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#62 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:16 PM

Al Jazeera now has a breaking news headline, repeating that unconfirmed reports are that Saddam is dead.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#63 Natasha Bennett

Natasha Bennett
  • Demigod
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:21 PM

From Google news:

http://www.telegraph...0/wsaddam30.xml

and Yahoo

http://news.yahoo.com/

Edited by Topaz, 29 December 2006 - 10:23 PM.

#64 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:25 PM

Now the BBC reports that Saddam, according to Iraqi TV reports, is dead.
Posted Image

#65 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:33 PM

One of Saddam's lawyers confirms the execution, according to CNN.
Posted Image

#66 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:47 PM

There are reports that people danced around the body. Video and other pictures have been taken. In Dearborn, Michigan, Shia Americans are celebrating Saddam's death. According to CNN, multiple sources are confirming his death.
Posted Image

#67 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:53 PM

Here's some footage....

Posted Image
Posted Image

#68 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:02 PM

Bout time. Good riddance.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#69 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:38 PM

I look at the death penalty from the side of what it does to us. It diminishes us if we support it. As someone alluded to we become vengeful not advocates of justice.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#70 Caretaker

Caretaker
  • Islander
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 12:11 AM

Did Hussein deserve to die (based on his actions)? Yes.

Do I agree with the death penalty? No.
XBox Live gamercard

Watch the I've Got Munchies video podcast.

Start a free online family tree at GENi

#71 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 12:59 AM

View PostCaretaker, on Dec 30 2006, 12:11 AM, said:

:blink: :blink:  

Ummmm-no offense intended, but this sounds wishy-washy. You are either for the death penalty or against it. You can't have it both ways.
Posted Image

#72 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 01:02 AM

View PostAnastashia, on Dec 29 2006, 11:38 PM, said:

I look at the death penalty from the side of what it does to us. It diminishes us if we support it. As someone alluded to we become vengeful not advocates of justice.

Um-do me a favor...please don't include me in your "us".  :sarcasm:
Posted Image

#73 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 01:43 AM

View PostDigital Man, on Dec 30 2006, 01:02 AM, said:

Um-do me a favor...please don't include me in your "us".  :sarcasm:

Not a problem DM, of course it's my opinion. What I'm meaning to say though is I want to rise above the place where I want to see someone dead no matter how heinous what they may have done is. Wanting to see them dead makes me IMHO no better than them and that's not what I want for myself. Can I always rise to that level? To be honest I'm not altogether certain, but it certainly seems to me something to strive for.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#74 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 02:49 AM

View PostCaretaker, on Dec 30 2006, 12:11 AM, said:

OK, you're confusing me. On one hand you are saying he deserved death...but on the other that you don't agree with him being put to death. Which is it? Is the death penalty wrong? or not?

Personally, I'm glad the boy is gone.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#75 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 07:54 AM

I guess that's that then.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#76 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 09:23 AM

Ani: What I'm meaning to say though is I want to rise above the place where I want to see someone dead no matter how heinous what they may have done is. Wanting to see them dead makes me IMHO no better than them and that's not what I want for myself. Can I always rise to that level? To be honest I'm not altogether certain, but it certainly seems to me something to strive for.

On pure principle, I agree with you, Ani. For years I was an opponent of the death penalty on that principle. But whenever I asked myself the Bernie Shaw question--or some variation--I'd have to answer honestly that if anyone brutally murdered anyone I loved, I'd be willing to spend my life in jail to kill the murderer myself. I have an atavistic, unevolved vengeance gene apparently. And that's all the death penalty accomplishes: vengeance. It's not a deterrent. And, most disturbingly, innocent people have been put to death by the state. There are more good reasons for being against the death penalty than for it. Unfortunately, I can't transcend my own "I'll freakin' kill ya myself" nature.

So now Saddam is gone. I only hope that the counter-terrorist expert I saw interviewed on MSNBC is right and the Sunni insurgents are no longer Baathist but Islamist and consequently don't much like Saddam either. If so, his death will be a momentary bright spot for those whose loved ones died at the hands of Saddam's henchmen and the daily violence in Iraq will simply chug along as it's been doing.

The next milestone is about four deaths away: 3000 American troops killed in Iraq. And maybe this will give their families and friends some sense that their deaths haven't been entirely in vain. Maybe not. I guess it depends on how badly they wanted to see Saddam dead.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#77 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 10:53 AM

Posted Image

Aljazeera.net

Saddam Hussein, the former Iraqi president, has been hanged, Iraqi officials have said.

The execution took place shortly before 6am (03:00 GMT) on Saturday at an Iraqi miltary facility in northern Baghdad.

Iraqi television later showed footage of Saddam being placed in a noose by hangmen, cutting away just before his execution.

The 69-year-old appeared calm, chatting to his hangmen as they wrapped his neck in black cloth and steered him towards the gallows.

Iraqi television later showed footage of his body.

Saddam was convicted last month of the killings of 148 Shias after a failed assassination attempt in 1982.

Edited by Digital Man, 30 December 2006 - 11:01 AM.

Posted Image

#78 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:14 AM

Then what were we suppose to do?

Keep paying for the next 20 years for the upkeep of a man who had murdered a few people with his own hands and ordered the death of tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of other people?

This man's actions being given life in prison would add insult to his victims grief. Would leave other leaders the idea that if I am caught by Americans they will put me on trial and then I will go to a prison where I will get not a great life but a life none the less. While gleeming skulls of my victims grimly wait for him to die of old age. A thing that not many if any of them got to do.

Saddam's actions merited the penalty. Just like McViegh's did.

Keeping a mass killer alive only shows we let law get in the way of justice.  

When the state takes on the duty of executioner it does so bring a sense of justice to the victim's family.
It does so to main tain an illusion that if you murder someone that this fate may await you.
It does so to protect society from a dangerous person who if allowed loose would kill again and again.
Because sometimes the crime committed is so inhuman that death is the only thing left for the state to do.

See I am a believer that Sometimes Vengence is justice. But I also want a system of courts and juries to deicde the facts of each case. If you remove the DP from the picture all toghere then what are you giving society? Justice? How? You have allowed another person to go on to life in a prison cell where they are guarded 24/7. But they live. They can have limited entertainment. Never saw a bookcase inside a coffin as well as TV. The killer gets time for exercise and other activities. Have they made that jogging path open to caskets yet? Can the dead spot the other guy on the free weights for a few reps? The killer gets a doctor who will give him as much blood as if practical to keep the killer alive. His victim? Never seen a bloodless corpse receive blood from a rapid infuser to keep it going till the bleed can be made to stop?

The only way life in prison works is if the person feels guilt or remorse over their actions. Otherwise it is a waiting room for hell and the killer does not care. If that is the case who is punished? The killer? I kinda doubt it. I think it's the rest of us.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#79 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:20 AM

View PostG1223, on Dec 30 2006, 04:14 PM, said:

Would leave other leaders the idea that if I am caught by Americans they will put me on trial and then I will go to a prison where I will get not a great life but a life none the less.

Funny, I thought it was the Iraqi goverment that tried him.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#80 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:46 AM

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but I think it's best that the pro-death penalty folks and the anti-death penalty folks just agree to disagree. Otherwise, this thread is going to go on endlessly, and neither side is going to convince the other. We'll just be wasting our time.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Iraq, Saddam Hussein, Execution in 30 days, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users