Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

President Gerald Ford Dies

Obituaries President Gerald Ford 2006

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:59 AM

CNN has just reported the death of President Gerald Ford.

Godspeed, Mr. President. :(
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#2 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 01:01 AM

http://news.yahoo.co...re_us/obit_ford

R.I.P.  Mr. President. :down:
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#3 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 02:06 AM

:(  How sad.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#4 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 02:30 AM

Things like this always happen in 3's.  Bobby Brown died yesterday IIRC, President Ford died today.  Who's the third one?  Either some one died earlier this or last week, or one will pass away later in the near future.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#5 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 05:21 AM

^That would be "James" Brown. I don't think Bobby has died yet.

#6 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 05:54 AM

I'm sad he's gone, but he certainly lived a long and good life.

He was probably the most likeable president ever.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#7 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 11:17 AM

:cry:

And he wasn't exactly voted in...

Of all the Repubs of the 20th Century he's actually my fave.

I found this on Wikipedia:

I have not sought this enormous responsibility, but I will not shirk it. Those who nominated and confirmed me as Vice President were my friends and are my friends. They were of both parties, elected by all the people and acting under the Constitution in their name. It is only fitting then that I should pledge to them and to you that I will be the President of all the people.
—Gerald R. Ford, August 9, 1974

I think that pretty much sums up the kind of guy he was, at least publicly.

Here's to a great American. :beer:
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#8 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 11:20 AM

View PostSpidey, on Dec 27 2006, 02:30 AM, said:

Things like this always happen in 3's.  Bobby Brown died yesterday IIRC, President Ford died today.  Who's the third one?  Either some one died earlier this or last week, or one will pass away later in the near future.

James Brown, not Bobby, much to Whitney's dismay.

Gerald R. Ford, who might have been elected, had he not pardoned Nixon. One of the very few presidents who was acknoledged in the next presidents first speach. Carter complimented him for helping the nation to heal afterthe Nixon feasco.
Can't Touch This!!

#9 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:06 PM

View PostHibblette, on Dec 27 2006, 10:17 AM, said:

:cry:

And he wasn't exactly voted in...

Of all the Repubs of the 20th Century he's actually my fave.

I found this on Wikipedia:

I have not sought this enormous responsibility, but I will not shirk it. Those who nominated and confirmed me as Vice President were my friends and are my friends. They were of both parties, elected by all the people and acting under the Constitution in their name. It is only fitting then that I should pledge to them and to you that I will be the President of all the people.
—Gerald R. Ford, August 9, 1974

I think that pretty much sums up the kind of guy he was, at least publicly.

Here's to a great American. :beer:

Mark: What a great quote from President Ford, Hibblette!
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#10 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:14 PM

He was a good, decent man in a time and a job where they are few and far between. He wasn't a great president, but he did his best in a job he never expected to have. You can't ask more than that of any man.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#11 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:29 PM

View PostRhea, on Dec 27 2006, 11:14 AM, said:

He was a good, decent man in a time and a job where they are few and far between. He wasn't a great president, but he did his best in a job he never expected to have. You can't ask more than that of any man.

Mark:
I don't know about that Rhea...I think a man doing his best in a job he never expected to have makes him a pretty great President.
What does make a President a great one, if not for doing his best?
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#12 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:46 PM

I was in tech school when he became my Commander-in-Chief.  I have great respect for him, and know him to have been a good man in private as well as in his public life.  I see that he will lie in repose at St Margaret's Episcopal Church here, so I might just go pay my respects.  

Rest in Peace, sir, and my condolences to your loving family.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#13 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 06:07 PM

A good man.  He will be missed.  :(
Posted Image

#14 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 04:58 PM

Interesting story on Ford's views about the Iraq War, Cheney, Kissinger, etc. by Bob Woodward in the Washington Post.

Here's a Reuters synopsis:

http://news.yahoo.co...rd_interview_dc
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#15 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 05:01 PM

And here's a link to Woodward's story in the Washington Post:

http://www.washingto...6122701558.html

#16 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 06:03 PM

I didn't know 'til my Auntie told me on the phone earlier today.

My mom and I actually met Ford many years ago.

#17 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 08:48 PM

View PostMark, on Dec 27 2006, 09:29 AM, said:

View PostRhea, on Dec 27 2006, 11:14 AM, said:

Mark:
I don't know about that Rhea...I think a man doing his best in a job he never expected to have makes him a pretty great President.
What does make a President a great one, if not for doing his best?

I don't think he was a great President, but I do think he was a great man.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#18 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 09:42 AM

The Desert Sun

Apparently I can now copy and paste and post a link again, but I have to edit to add anything else.  :rolleyes:

The Rev. Robert Certain of St. Margaret's Episcopal Church in Palm Desert will comfort a mourning nation and the family of former President Gerald R. Ford during the next six days.Certain has been Ford's pastor since 1998, when Certain joined the parish.

Certain said he thinks Ford may have held on to life long enough to see each of his children and get past the holiday."I'm not surprised if he did his best not to ruin Christmas," Certain said. "Obviously I can't speak for what was going on his mind, but it's a very common experience around the holiday for people who are facing the end of their lives to get past the holiday - so the holiday is not colored with their death.

Certain, a Georgia native, joined the Air Force in 1969. He was shot down during the Vietnam War and spent 100 days as a prisoner in North Vietnam.That service eventually led him to ministry work in Tennessee, Texas, Mississippi and Arizona before finally arriving in Palm Desert in 1998.

Certain plans to move back to Texas to dedicate his service to returning combat veterans and spend more time with his grandchildren.

Edited by Nonny, 29 December 2006 - 09:51 AM.

Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#19 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 06:34 PM

Why is the state funeral being done in the evening? Yes there's another one on Monday but I still don't understand this being done at this time of day.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#20 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 09:11 PM

Bush wasn't there.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, President Gerald Ford, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users