• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 09:19 PM

He'll be there at the cathedral on Tuesday.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#22 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:32 PM

As far as state of affairs and proper protocol-to me the irony of the fact that Ford represents a time when the country was hurting...Bush should have been there for the presentation of the casket at the Rotunda.

It would say..."I can accept this man's criticism that lays in this coffin.  Because I am a leader."

Instead the whole thing-from Mr. Stevens very aptly read prepared careful speech to Mr. Cheney, came across so very "we put this man to rest but we do not respect his viewpoint."

Bush should have been there...
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#23 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 08:30 PM

View PostSpidey, on Dec 27 2006, 02:30 AM, said:

Things like this always happen in 3's.  Bobby Brown died yesterday IIRC, President Ford died today.  Who's the third one?  Either some one died earlier this or last week, or one will pass away later in the near future.

Well there's Saddam's passing...but I will not disgrace the memory of either Ford or Brown by putting him in the "3"...However, the football player that was gunned down would make "3".
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#24 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 08:52 PM

View PostMark, on Dec 27 2006, 12:29 PM, said:

View PostRhea, on Dec 27 2006, 11:14 AM, said:

He was a good, decent man in a time and a job where they are few and far between. He wasn't a great president, but he did his best in a job he never expected to have. You can't ask more than that of any man.

Mark:
I don't know about that Rhea...I think a man doing his best in a job he never expected to have makes him a pretty great President.
What does make a President a great one, if not for doing his best?

It's not gym class.  IMO, they shouldn't get points for trying their best -- That's a given.  It's expected.  If they're not gonna do their best, then they shouldn't've run for the office.  I suppose that doesn't just apply to politicians -- but it does, IMO, apply especially to politicians, and the Leader of the Free World most of all.

Personally, I tend to think the measure of a great president should be results.

That said, I'm not sure pardoning Nixon was the best thing for the country, or its institutions, in the long-run.  Short-term, sure.  It allowed everyone to simply stop thinking about it.  It was an Alexandrian way to be done with it.  But I think it set a bad precedent.  Hindsight is 20/20, but if Nixon had been prosecuted, I tend to doubt we'd now have an administration in power that believes the president and his surrogates are above the law.

Edited by ScottEVill, 02 January 2007 - 08:53 PM.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#25 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 09:24 PM

But that's the point Scott, he didn't run for the office.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#26 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 10:00 PM

View PostScottEVill, on Jan 2 2007, 05:52 PM, said:

Who else at that time would have had the guts to end the war in Vietnam?  Because he didn't have the political ambitions that others did, he was the right man for the job, and he did it well.  I remember the call for volunteers to go back in February 1975, the Marines lounging on the flightline with mountains of gear ready for the order in March, and that the order never came.  How many men would have had the courage to not give that order?  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#27 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:20 PM

As far as the number 3-the first was Director Robert Altman.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#28 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:27 PM

View PostAnastashia, on Jan 2 2007, 09:24 PM, said:

But that's the point Scott, he didn't run for the office.

Above, I said, "If they're not gonna do their best, then they shouldn't've run for the office.  I suppose that doesn't just apply to politicians."  In other words, not just to people who run for office, but everyone: you shouldn't take a job if you're not gonna do your best.  Ford took the job, and he did his best--but I don't think that should be the measure of a great president.  (Or a great mailman, for that matter.)  

View PostNonny, on Jan 2 2007, 10:00 PM, said:

View PostScottEVill, on Jan 2 2007, 05:52 PM, said:

Who else at that time would have had the guts to end the war in Vietnam?  Because he didn't have the political ambitions that others did, he was the right man for the job, and he did it well.  I remember the call for volunteers to go back in February 1975, the Marines lounging on the flightline with mountains of gear ready for the order in March, and that the order never came.  How many men would have had the courage to not give that order?  

Nonny

I thought Nixon ended the war in Vietnam in 73?  Can I get a little backstory?

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#29 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:10 AM

^^^

My understanding is that when the South Vietnamese government finally collapsed completely in 1975, there was actually a lot of pressure to try and do something militarily to save it, whether through air strikes or sending ground forces back in.  But Ford rather wisely saw that the jig was up and more or less stood back and let it happen.  Strangely, one heard very little of this during the recent hagiography, despite its rather obvious relevance to current events.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#30 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 02:29 AM

I thought Nixon ended the war in Vietnam in 73? Can I get a little backstory?

The war didn't end just because most American troops were brought back to the United States. The North Vietnamese invasion attempt of 1972 had been destroyed with massive American use of air power to aid the ARVN( Army of the Republic of Viet Nam) in thier fight against the North but by 1975 North Vietnam had rebuilt and launched a second combined arms armor offensive into the South. American combat forces had all but left Vietnam by 1973 but they were still fighting. This time the ARVN couldn't hold them without American backing and they were crushed. Then they moved on Saigon and the other major population centers, finishing off the South Vietnamese government. There was some thought that sending American forces back could have stopped this.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#31 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:39 AM

View Posttennyson, on Jan 2 2007, 11:29 PM, said:

I thought Nixon ended the war in Vietnam in 73? Can I get a little backstory?

The war didn't end just because most American troops were brought back to the United States. The North Vietnamese invasion attempt of 1972 had been destroyed with massive American use of air power to aid the ARVN( Army of the Republic of Viet Nam) in thier fight against the North but by 1975 North Vietnam had rebuilt and launched a second combined arms armor offensive into the South. American combat forces had all but left Vietnam by 1973 but they were still fighting. This time the ARVN couldn't hold them without American backing and they were crushed. Then they moved on Saigon and the other major population centers, finishing off the South Vietnamese government. There was some thought that sending American forces back could have stopped this.

American troops in Okinawa were ready to go back in.  I can guess that American troops in the PI and Thailand were too.  Marines sat on the flightline, leaning against their piles of gear, piles a good 20, 25 feet high, ready to go as soon as the order was given.  This was about a month after volunteers had been sought from all the shops in my squadron, and I can guess in all the squardrons, to go back to Vietnam.  

Incidentally, I had volunteered, but only the guys in my shop knew that.  The rest were slugging it out verbally, shouting that either I had to go because I'm a woman or that I couldn't go because I'm a woman.  :rolleyes:  It was kinda like comic relief for us all.  Well, until my trainer took me aside and told me I couldn't go because he couldn't protect me in the tents.  He meant from our NCOIC, who was hitting on me pretty hard, but as it happens, the commander wouldn't have let me go because it would have spoiled his plans to force me out, his deity having informed him that women don't belong in avionics, no matter how good we are at our jobs, but I digress.  

Anyway, there we all were, being mushrooms (kept in the dark and being fed... you know the story).  All we knew was that we were on alert, we were planning to go back in, and then we just didn't.  I finally caved in when my commander's dirty tricks got dirtier than I could bear and the NCOIC's demands got scarier, agreed to take the early discharge if and only if it was the honorable discharge I deserved, and was waiting for my orders to ship home.  It never occured to me to wonder why I was shipping with 250 Marines until years later.  I didn't hear about Saigon falling till after I rejoined my husband.  

But I'll never forget the lump in my throat as I watched those Marines throwing their caps in the air, dropping to kiss the ground, while screaming their joy to be home.  Heck, I'm tearing up again as I write.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#32 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 04:54 PM

Somewhere among Ford's papers (assuming they didn't throw it away, as they probably did ;) ) there's a fan letter from a very young Zwolf, who hated Jimmy Carter with a vengeance and wanted Gerry Ford to whup his butt in the election.  Alas, that didn't happen...

It's weird, because I'd been thinking about him a lot in the few days before he died.  I got the 1st season box set of Saturday Night Live for Christmas, and had skipped ahead and watched all the "Weekend Update" segments, where Ford was Chevy Chase's main target.  Ford had a good sense of humor about it, though, even delivering the "Live From New York, It's Saturday Night" line via tape on one ep, and also aping Chevy Chase with an "I'm Gerald Ford, and you're not" line. :)  Gotta love him.

At least he lived a good long time and passed away peacefully.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, President Gerald Ford, 2006

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users