#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 10:45 AM

This is old, but it deserves a thread.

http://www.news.com....55E1702,00.html

A FLORIDA judge is to rule next week if a Muslim woman must remove her veil for her driver's licence photograph, after both sides presented their closing arguments today in the unusual case.

Citing her religious beliefs, Sultaana Freeman, 35, took the state of Florida to court after she was denied a driver's licence because she refused to be photographed without her "niqab", a veil that leaves only her eyes uncovered.

My first instinct was to be on the state's side.

However, it turns out that they hand out temporary licenses that have no picture, and are good for up to six years.

The state's position is inconsistent.

However, interesting counterpoint: Egypt and other arabic countries require faces on their drivers license's... meaning that if this woman were to drive in Egypt, she'd need to take off the vail.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 10:53 AM

Indeed, the only Muslim country that doesn't require unveiled photos on their drivers' licenses is Saudi Arabia-- where women aren't allowed to drive at all.

Religious freedom is not an unlimited right.  

Zack
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#3 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 10:56 AM

^

Agreed.

But Florida needs to explain why it's okay for other people to have licenses without pictures as a matter of course. Granted, they're "temporary" (although temporary can mean several years), but all the arguments (identification, what if she gets pulled over?, etc.) but it's still inconsistent.

I also heard-- but haven't verified-- that this woman has been photographed unveiled before.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#4 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 10:56 AM

If the purpose of a driver's license is that it serves as IDENTIFICATION it seems reasonable to require people to have their picture on it.

If they want a license.

And contrary to some people's belief, there is no legal "right" to drive.  If her religious beliefs are more important than driving, that's her choice.
Posted Image

#5 Bossy

Bossy

Chaos Personified

• Islander
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 02:28 PM

^Excellent point. Sometimes we have to make such decisions.
Bossy

Kryptonite, silver bullet, Buffy? Dammit, what does it take to keep you in the grave? - John to Scorpy

And what the hell is Succubitch doing here? - Lorne

Captain, your presence here has not been overly meddlesome. - Ambassador Soval

.... it'll only induce me to acts of eloquence and mayhem. - Hawk

#6 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

goddess of love and blowing things up

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 03:05 PM

Wait, there's more:

She's a felon as well.
From The Smoking Gun

Weirder and weirder...

Ro

#7 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 01:52 AM

MuseZack, on May 29 2003, 04:57 PM, said:

Indeed, the only Muslim country that doesn't require unveiled photos on their drivers' licenses is Saudi Arabia-- where women aren't allowed to drive at all.

Religious freedom is not an unlimited right. 

Zack
No kidding.

Truth is, she needs to take the veil off and get her picture taken. But I'm scratching my head on why they didn't enforce this when she got the license. It's a no-brainer. There's no point to picture ID with no usable picture. :p :p

Oh, yeah - and what Lil said.  :cool:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#8 AnneZo

AnneZo
  • Islander
  • 688 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 02:49 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on May 30 2003, 12:00 AM, said:

And contrary to some people's belief, there is no legal "right" to drive.  If her religious beliefs are more important than driving, that's her choice.
Hey, that was the point I was going to make. :)

If the state wasn't already on record as having been completely inconsistent on this "picture policy", I'd be entirely on their side.  Personally, I think their "no picture" thing should be eliminated.  No picture, no ID of any kind.

#9 Talkie Toaster

Talkie Toaster

There's no Shepard without Vakarian

• Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 03:09 AM

Javert Rovinski, on May 30 2003, 12:00 AM, said:

But Florida needs to explain why it's okay for other people to have licenses without pictures as a matter of course. Granted, they're "temporary" (although temporary can mean several years), but all the arguments (identification, what if she gets pulled over?, etc.) but it's still inconsistent.
The permits without pictures are for out of state renewals, like service men and such.
Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

#10 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 03:48 AM

Driving is a PRIVILEDGE ... not a RIGHT!

She needs to take the dang veil off if she wants a drivers license.

#11 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 04:15 AM

Talkie Toaster, on May 30 2003, 12:13 PM, said:

Javert Rovinski, on May 30 2003, 12:00 AM, said:

The permits without pictures are for out of state renewals, like service men and such.
Exactly Talkie, it's done this way because the person is unable, because of military duties, to be present in the state to have a photo taken. Now I suppose the state could require them to send a picture in, but then how is the state to be certain it's the picture of the person who originally was granted the license. A system to verify the picture would just add another layer of bureaucracy to the process. There's a much easier way to verify their identity.

I dealt with a similar situation when I was on active duty. I generally came home during the winter by air so I wouldn't have to deal with driving a long distance in winter weather. My car's inspection was supposed to take place in February, but since the car never went instate during the winter the inspection would expire. I had to notify the state and they would send me a form verifying my status to show if I was stopped. On one of these trips I was stopped, and I had to show my military ID along with the form. The military ID has a picture on it.  I would not be surprised if someone who has a non-picture license is also required to show their military ID when required to show their non-picture license.

EDIT - BTW the reason they are for 'up to six years, i.e. variable in length' is because the holder is required to have the picture taken, or in my case the inspection done, on their first return to the state in question.

Ani

Edited by Anastashia, 31 May 2003 - 04:23 AM.

The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#12 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 07:17 AM

It they can't drive, perhaps they should be pilots ? :D :wacko:

Saudi Arabia's first woman pilot hopes all women in the conservative Islamic kingdom will one day have the freedom she now enjoys.

Wearing a scarf, pilot's shirt and trousers, Hanadi Hindi shyly admits she found it difficult to make the transition from a veiled, sheltered life in Saudi Arabia to a much less restrictive routine in Jordan, where she is in training.

http://www.jordantim.../homenews16.htm

:thumbs-up:
Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings.

#13 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

goddess of love and blowing things up

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 07:40 AM

^ Good for her, and good for her father, who shared his dreams and encouragement with her.

I do find it discouraging that people so often confuse wanting to share the same rights as a man with wanting to be a man.

Not the same thing at all.

Ro

#14 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 07:41 AM

Ro-Astarte, on May 30 2003, 01:44 PM, said:

I do find it discouraging that people so often confuse wanting to share the same rights as a man with wanting to be a man.

Not the same thing at all.

Ro
A-M-E-N.
Posted Image

#15 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 06:28 AM

Bottom line, IMO, is she needs to take the viel off. It's time the U.S.A stopped putting itself in jeporady by catering to Muslim religious beliefs. These were the same beliefs that the 9-11 hijackers had.

Now we have a ACLU lawyer crying bloody murder, saying she has a right. I swear, half the time I think the ACLU is a front for Bin Laden and his terrorist network.

If she doesn't like the U.S.A's rules, she's more then welcome to go to Saudi Arabia....Oh wait, they wouldn't allow her to drive anyway.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#16 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 06:42 AM

The people responsible for 9-11 were extremists.  Blaming an entire religion for their conduct is no better than blaming all Catholics for the Inquisition.

And if the woman were a Shaker I suppose you wouldn't have a problem with it?  Would it be okay to discriminate against one religion and not another.  Her suit is ridiculous but frankly I find your bigoted and narrow minded sounding post to be just as disturbing (or more).

Lil
Posted Image

#17 Julie

Julie
  • Islander
  • 777 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 06:49 AM

LORD of the SWORD, on May 31 2003, 03:32 PM, said:

Bottom line, IMO, is she needs to take the viel off. It's time the U.S.A stopped putting itself in jeporady by catering to Muslim religious beliefs. These were the same beliefs that the 9-11 hijackers had.

Now we have a ACLU lawyer crying bloody murder, saying she has a right. I swear, half the time I think the ACLU is a front for Bin Laden and his terrorist network.

If she doesn't like the U.S.A's rules, she's more then welcome to go to Saudi Arabia....Oh wait, they wouldn't allow her to drive anyway.
Okay, first of all, the USA doesn't cater to Muslim beliefs.  The reason this case is being heard is because America does try to show some respect for those with religious beliefs.  

Secondly, the belief that women should cover their faces and the belief that killing others will get you into heaven are not quite the same thing.

Thirdly, saying that "if you don't like it, you can leave" is a very un-American attitude.  If you don't like, you should try to improve it-- in this case, by taking it to court.

Finally, are these actually the USA's rules?  I could be wrong, but I believe required photo i.d. is state law, not national.

Edited because of a stupid typo... :blush:

Edited by Julie, 01 June 2003 - 06:51 AM.

#18 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 09:40 AM

Julie, on May 31 2003, 12:53 PM, said:

LORD of the SWORD, on May 31 2003, 03:32 PM, said:

Okay, first of all, the USA doesn't cater to Muslim beliefs.  The reason this case is being heard is because America does try to show some respect for those with religious beliefs.  

Secondly, the belief that women should cover their faces and the belief that killing others will get you into heaven are not quite the same thing.

Thirdly, saying that "if you don't like it, you can leave" is a very un-American attitude.  If you don't like, you should try to improve it-- in this case, by taking it to court.

Finally, are these actually the USA's rules?  I could be wrong, but I believe required photo i.d. is state law, not national.

Edited because of a stupid typo... :blush:
I agree with what both Lil and Julie said.  I started to get all hot and bothered, then I realized that it's you, LotS, and your usual rhetoric.

Point of information (always nice to have before the carrying-on starts): the woman in question is an American citizen, not an Arab. Not much point in her going back to Saudi Arabia, is there???
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#19 LaughingVulcan

LaughingVulcan

Isn't it about time you got a little more LV in your life?

• Islander
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 09:49 AM

Julie, on May 31 2003, 12:53 PM, said:

Finally, are these actually the USA's rules?  I could be wrong, but I believe required photo i.d. is state law, not national.
Actually, you are not required to possess photo I.D. period.  You may not be able to get a job, rent or buy property, purchase alcohol, cash checks, drive, become a pilot, attend university, etc.  It's still your choice, though.  The law, AFAIK, does require you to identify yourself to a police officer if so asked, but it doesn't say you must have an identification card to do so.  

Yet.
Posted Image
Nikki's Loving LV.  Property of the PPD.  Aka "Mr. Peppermint"
The Vulcan-Pixie alliance is strong.

#20 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 09:52 AM

Yeah.

Unless you want to fly, cross the border, drive, buy alchohol, write a check........

As a practical matter it's a necessity regardless of the law.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Florida, Freedom of Religion

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users