54 replies to this topic

#1 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 11:55 PM

full story here:  http://abcnews.go.co...s...0170&page=1

i just LOVE how a) the little snot-b*tches are STILL on the squad and b) the principal gets a retirement pension and a letter of recommendation.

this is just one example out of a million that proves cheerleading should be banned from schools.  cheerleaders cause nothing but problems in practically every school they are in.*

* - and before anyone starts lecturing me, i have seen and heard PLENTY from other people, all over the country and in a few others, about problem-causing cheerleaders, as well as many stories on the news, as well as personal experience.  all different schools, different locations, different people.  cheerleaders ALWAYS get special treatment, get away with things, up to and including driving other students to suicide.  same problems are ALWAYS caused.  either cheerleading needs to be banned--or it needs to be cleaned up.  and i do not EVER see the latter happening.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#2 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:21 AM

I was on the cheerleading squad at my school - or rather, the Booster squad - sort of a "JV" for cheerleaders.  Perhaps because the school was a specialized school for academically gifted kids, the cheerleaders in no way had any sort of "power" over anything.  And - yes, "pretty" was an established criteria, certainly how we saw ourselves, certainly there was a degree of snootishness - but in all, reigned in by the actual limitations of how far that kind of thing can go... and the fact that we actually did have to turn in decent grades, after all.  

It sounds like cheerleading squads in some schools are gaining the same status as football or basketball squads in some schools - high prestige etc.  I don't know if colleges recruit for cheerleaders the way they do for other athletes in competitive sports - but if they do, then that is certainly a heightened prestige for a high school - to produce cheerleaders who go on to cheer for college squads and maybe even the NBA or NFL squads.  And the problems are exactly the same - "jocks" who get away with murder are nothing new... so if now the cheerleaders are in the game, then they are.  I'm loathe to recommend banning cheerleading - one of the few athletic career choices for women - to be banned, any more than I would ban basketball or football or wrestling from school.  (And yes - star chess players also get star treatment, if it seems likely that that will elevate the prestige of the school.)  

The thing that needs to happen is that schools need to remember that first and foremost - they are schools - and neither the "jocks" nor the cheerleaders nor the any other kind of star - is above the fundamental purpose of the school.  I thank entirely the environment I was in for not letting "prettiness" go too much to my head, or my self-esteem to be too much thrown out of wack just because someone else was prettier - there were other measures of success than my looks, and other ways of being accepted than being "in with the in-crowd."  I am therefore a living witness that the problem isn't the activity - but it's place in the overall scheme of things.

From the article:

Principal Accused of Letting the Girls Go Wild

Some are pointing fingers at the mother of the clique's ringleader, who was also the school's principal.

"This culture developed where the principal's daughter and her friends were above consequences," said attorney Harold Jones, who was hired by the school district to look into complaints about the cheerleaders.

emphasis mine

This is a case where the school was being held hostage by a bad parent...

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#3 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:31 AM

Mark: Cheile, the cheerlanders were kicked off the squad.
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#4 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:44 AM

^i don't see where it says that.  there is this quote from a former coach:

"Right after some risque photos are placed on MySpace in their cheerleader uniforms and they're on probation, it takes a whole week to decide that they won't be kicked off the squad," Jones said.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#5 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 01:19 AM

And in introducing the current coach it is said:

In an exclusive interview with "Good Morning America," Michaela Ward, the coach that the Fab Five drove out, said the girls were beyond discipline.

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#6 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 02:58 AM

lord, this is making me happy my highschool didn't have cheerleaders

'Course, I was one of the anti-social crowd back then and would have enjoyed tormenting them.  My school had the holier-than-thou twits who would have made perfect cheerleaders (at least in the sense that I'm getting from that article), but my school reined them in pretty hard.  In fact, not making your grades was one of the more certain ways of being asked to leave.  

That principle needed to have been fired
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#7 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 08:07 AM

I am SO glad we don't have cheerleading over here. As if that kind of thing doesn't happen enough without encouragement.

I can really picture exactly the people from my school who would have gone in for it too.

I know my ex-maths teacher got really annoyed that there are hundreds of sport certificates but hardly any maths certificates. It's valuing sport above maths and science and other academic things - that's not right - and this is in a Special Science status grammar school too!

Then again, I'm biased because I absolutely detest "P.E." and "Games" at my old school, hated rounders, hated competitive team sports, hated the ATTITUDES that went with it.

Best stop here before I start a major rant...

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#8 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 08:07 AM

View PostCheile, on Jan 6 2007, 11:44 PM, said:

^i don't see where it says that.  there is this quote from a former coach:

"Right after some risque photos are placed on MySpace in their cheerleader uniforms and they're on probation, it takes a whole week to decide that they won't be kicked off the squad," Jones said.

Cheile....

Your linked article might not state it but those cheerleaders are no longer on the team....MSNBC

At McKinney North, the tumult is finally beginning to subside. None of the Fab Five remain on the team, according to one of the ousted cheerleaders.
and another

In the wake of the investigation, Theret agreed to resign and the Fab Five are now off the cheerleading team.

There are always 'mean girls' in any school....and they do not always have to be the cheerleaders.  And the fact that one of the girls mother was the principal.....  who clearly could not separate her roles as mother and principal...did not help the situation. There were several incidents where the mother/principal referred discipline of the Fab Five, including her own daughter, to other teachers etc ...but who is going to punish the boss's daughter?

BTW....if you google this story, you might be amazed.....or not...to find that some people are actively looking for the MySpace pictures mentioned.  And not for the curiosity factor but the sex factor.

Edited by trikay, 07 January 2007 - 08:23 AM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#9 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 08:47 AM

more info from Dallas newspaper

This goes into the actual investigation more...

I'm not defending these girls by any means.....their behavior was wayyyy out of control and that behavior was not corrected by any adults in their lives.

If you do not give a child boundaries and stick to those boundaries without fail then they are going to misbehave.

BTW...was never a cheerleader but my best friend in high school was.  But then again that was many moons ago.  And rules were enforced by our principal.  But none of ours ever did anything remotely like these girls.

BTW the reason that the principal got a pay-off was because she had a contract.  And in order to void that contract and not pay-off they had to have another investigation...which would have likely cost more than they paid her.  Articles state that the investigation that led to this point cost $40,000.  So obviously this was a move to avoid huge investigative and legal fees.  

And IMHO there should have been no letter of recommendation for her....but considering the proven fact that many school districts will give a letter of recommnedation to a teacher etc accused of inappropriate contact/conduct with students, it is to be expected

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#10 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 10:18 AM

View PostCheile, on Jan 7 2007, 04:55 AM, said:

this is just one example out of a million that proves cheerleading should be banned from schools.  cheerleaders cause nothing but problems in practically every school they are in.*

* - and before anyone starts lecturing me, i have seen and heard PLENTY from other people, all over the country and in a few others, about problem-causing cheerleaders, as well as many stories on the news, as well as personal experience.  all different schools, different locations, different people.  cheerleaders ALWAYS get special treatment, get away with things, up to and including driving other students to suicide.  same problems are ALWAYS caused.  either cheerleading needs to be banned--or it needs to be cleaned up.  and i do not EVER see the latter happening.

IMHO, hyperbole such as "a million" reasons (especially when none more are given) and false absolutes such as "always" do not help in the argument process. You only hear stories when something is wrong; when there is a problem. You'll never read a story of a group of cheerleaders who ate all their vegetables and went to sleep an hour early.

Sometimes they don't have good role-models in the cheerleading community. George W Bush was a cheerleader, after all.

But these girls should have been disciplined early on. In a way, it's too bad that they got kicked off the team - all along they had been given reinforcement for their actions. It would be interesting to see if they could have cut it with some real rules and regs.

#11 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 02:50 PM

^ i figured i'd have to bring this up.

not only have i read dozens of stories online about it (in people's blogs and on other msg boards when this subject has come up), it has come up on talk shows.  one in particular that sticks in my mind was where Montel Williams had on his show the parents of teens who had suicided.  

one girl's mother said a group of girls (that included at least one cheerleader, but may have included more...only the ringleaders were named) said all of the above and more was done to her daughter, who had not had such problems with others in her school until this group started harassing her.  school took no action, despite repeated complaints by her parents.  other parents took no action, "didn't care", according to the mother of the girl.  (wow, do we see a pattern here??)  finally one day after the harassers told her they were planning to kill her family, she went home and hung herself in her bedroom.

when the harassers were taken to court and charged (i do not remember if it was a civil suit, a criminal suit for the harassment--possibly both were done), someone from the local media stuck her microphone in the cheerleader's face and asked if she was sorry.  the response?  "no, i'm not."

i am trying to search Montel's archives but it is slow going.  and since they repeat shows during the summer it will be harder to find.

i repeat, cheerleading causes problems.  it either needs to be banned or cleaned up.  the former would be better.  cheerleaders are unnecessary to schools.  there can be school spirit without a bunch of improperly-dressed girls jumping around.

Posted Image

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#12 Enkephalen

Enkephalen

Peekaboo Poster

• Islander
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 03:23 PM

Back in my high school days, I was on the pom pom squad.  Even then the cheerleaders were snotty, and not at all approachable.  Years later at the high school reunion, those same cheerleaders remained snobbish and snotty.  However, they never acted in the manner these girls did, nor would they have gotten away with the behavior.
Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear.

#13 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 08:20 PM

View PostCheile, on Jan 7 2007, 07:50 PM, said:

i repeat, cheerleading causes problems.  it either needs to be banned or cleaned up.  the former would be better.  cheerleaders are unnecessary to schools.  there can be school spirit without a bunch of improperly-dressed girls jumping around.

It isn't the cheerleading that causes the problems. Snooty girls will be snooty girls with or without cheerleading. Someone else mentioned that there can be even worse problems with jocks - there can be school spirit without a bunch of steroid-enhanced hormone jockeys, so should we do away with all sports?

#14 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 08:27 PM

IT is not the cheerleading that causes the problems. That is just another scapegoat, Cheile. Ultimately it rests on the shoulders of the girls themselves and the parents...

The Sport is not the problem, it's the parents that don't know how to say "No."
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#15 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 08:41 PM

View Posttrikay, on Jan 7 2007, 05:47 AM, said:

And IMHO there should have been no letter of recommendation for her....but considering the proven fact that many school districts will give a letter of recommnedation to a teacher etc accused of inappropriate contact/conduct with students, it is to be expected

I agree about the letter of recommendation, but I don't see teachers accused of inappropriate conduct being helped to continue that conduct (in fact, in my county the Superintendent of Schools is really hard-nosed when it comes to inappropriate conduct with students).

I'd sure like a link to where you got your facts about school districts giving such teachers letters of recommendation.

Edited by Rhea, 07 January 2007 - 08:42 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#16 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:34 PM

View PostBroph, on Jan 7 2007, 05:20 PM, said:

It isn't the cheerleading that causes the problems. Snooty girls will be snooty girls with or without cheerleading. Someone else mentioned that there can be even worse problems with jocks - there can be school spirit without a bunch of steroid-enhanced hormone jockeys, so should we do away with all sports?

cheerleading is part of the problem.  as for non-cheerleading b*tches, they need attitude adjustments.  and that of course falls to their lazy parents who can't or won't teach their daughters how to treat others as they'd like to be treated, which is another subject entirely.

personally school sports are useless, but God forbid some students expand their brains and perhaps join other extracurricular activities like the fine arts--which schools often steal from to fund the stupid sports teams.  nothing aggravates me more.

i remember the big giant fuss when the local high school's football team won some CIF thing.  i was probably the only person in town who didn't give a damn.  the boys of the team that played that game aren't going to be recognized for that anywhere but here.  it's pointless to make such a big fuss over sports.

Posted Image

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#17 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 10:43 PM

Mark: Extracurricular activities have their place in teaching kids, Cheile. What should also be taught (that isn't) is moderation in all things. Having your school year revolve around a sport, or sports, isn't a good thing to teach kids, but to completely wipe out competition sports (as you've suggested) is intolerable also. There must be a happy medium.
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#18 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 10:54 PM

Sorry to go slightly off topic as this is just a detour based on letters of recommendation, but not specifically related to the subject of this thread.

View PostRhea, on Jan 7 2007, 07:41 PM, said:

View Posttrikay, on Jan 7 2007, 05:47 AM, said:

I agree about the letter of recommendation, but I don't see teachers accused of inappropriate conduct being helped to continue that conduct (in fact, in my county the Superintendent of Schools is really hard-nosed when it comes to inappropriate conduct with students).

I'd sure like a link to where you got your facts about school districts giving such teachers letters of recommendation.

You haven't heard of this before?....Most of my reference points come from reading various articles (more numerous than I care to think about) and new reports....but here is one example....

It's called Passing the Trash

When Randall Crane came to teach at Jennings Middle School in Akron, Ohio, the superintendent felt lucky to get him. After all, the principal at Crane's previous school in Manchester had given him a glowing letter of recommendation, noting his "outgoing personality" and saying, "I wouldn't hesitate to hire him again."
Oh, really? That same principal helped oversee an investigation into Crane's relationships with his female students, after accusations that included "too much touching of girls," "too much like boyfriend/ girlfriend," and "taking girls into rooms with the door closed." Crane denied any wrongdoing, but agreed to resign.

No one at Jennings knew about Crane's earlier conduct because, the Manchester superintendent told a local newspaper, "you don't want to pass problems on to other schools, but at the same time, you weigh that against what you can say that might cause litigation for your school too."

So Crane got his sterling recommendation and a new teaching job. Last June, he got something else: a two-year sentence for having sex with a 14-year-old student.

The article goes on (2 pages worth) to detail other cases and the reasons why this happens.

#19 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 01:23 AM

View PostMark, on Jan 7 2007, 07:43 PM, said:

Mark: Extracurricular activities have their place in teaching kids, Cheile. What should also be taught (that isn't) is moderation in all things. Having your school year revolve around a sport, or sports, isn't a good thing to teach kids, but to completely wipe out competition sports (as you've suggested) is intolerable also. There must be a happy medium.

these days i don't see sports teaching kids ANYTHING, Mark.  other than it gives high school and older jocks (and sometimes their parents) a serious attitude.

i still clearly remember the one year i attended college (local junior college).  the head of the computer lab was the boys' assistant baseball coach.  they could break all the rules of the computer lab (up to and including viewing porn in plain sight), yet anyone who looked at stuff the professor didn't like (whether or not it was against the rules) could have their lab privileges revoked.

the same argument applies to this as it does to cheerleading.  if it's not going to be cleaned up (i.e. cut the favoritism CRAP), ban it from schools.  school is supposed to be about learning anyway.  you do not learn anything important from sports.

Posted Image

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#20 Rhys

Rhys

... a learning experience.

• Islander
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:16 AM

View PostCheile, on Jan 8 2007, 01:23 AM, said:

you do not learn anything important from sports.

Teamwork.  Quick thinking.  Co-ordination.  Physical conditioning.  Dealing with a competitive environment.  All very useful skills.

And I'm saying this as someone who was never skilled at sports, but enjoyed playing anyway. OTOH, I'll allow that the Canadian culture at schools (both high school and university) doesn't place anywhere near as high an importance on sports teams as the US.  Of course, that kind of proves the point - it's not the sports causing the problems, it's the attitude.

Rhys
"It's easy to bond over hating something together - The Internet is total proof of that." Cyd/Codex, The Guild

Change the world!  No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Culture, Cheerleaders, Incorrigible teens, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users