Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 04:56 PM

View PostG1223, on Jan 14 2007, 01:38 PM, said:

View PostHibblette, on Jan 14 2007, 10:47 AM, said:

WE have no business being over there.

WE don't know what we are doing.

So WE need to remove ourselves from the situation.

And We need to do it so fast that the place caves in behind us. WE need to do nothing when attacked except make more fuel efficent cars and that will make them stop attacking us.  Gottcha.

When did Iraq attack us?

And saying 911 will not work with me.  And the place is caving in while our guys are over there.

G do you know why the Rattlesnake was on the Don't Tread on me flag?

Here's something that Ben Franklin is attributed to writing in 1775 about why the rattlesnake is used for that particular saying:

"She [the rattlesnake]never begins an attack, nor, when once engaged, ever surrenders: She is therefore an emblem of magnanimity and true courage. ... she never wounds 'till she has generously given notice, even to her enemy, and cautioned him against the danger of treading on her."

Even if it isn't Franklin that said this to me this is what the US of A is all about.  WE are not suppose to begin an attack but once we are attacked we give warning and then we strike.  And we do not surrender or give up.

But we have completly forgotten about Afghanistan and Osama.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#82 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 07:17 PM

I never said Iraq did attack us. But organizations which have the open support of the nation states of Iran and Syria have and keep trying to attack this country. They are fighting us in Iraq. That is one of the war zones. Afganistan was a place to hole up and train from.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#83 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 07:47 PM

View PostG1223, on Jan 13 2007, 09:04 AM, said:

View PostScottEVill, on Jan 13 2007, 02:47 AM, said:

I really didn't think it would come to this, but isn't it starting to feel like The Decider has made up his mind to provoke a confrontation with Iran?

Maybe this is reacting to the state sponsered terrorists. And their all but in uniform Iranian army soldiers.

When did the Iraq invite these soldiers to enter the country? Wouldn't that make these iranian troops a sort of invasion force. Or does Iraq have a growing tourist trade these days?

G--When did Iraq invite American soldiers to enter the country?  I'm not defending Iran -- just sayin'.  

And, here's another thought: if we wanted to keep Iran in check, why did we take it upon ourselves to remove the Saddamn Hussein government?  Now, we're complaining that Iran is off the leash -- Well, *duh*.  We were the ones who took them off it.  

Maybe if we had looked before we leaped...  Again: not defending Iran.  Just sayin'.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#84 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 07:58 PM

View PostG1223, on Jan 14 2007, 06:17 PM, said:

I never said Iraq did attack us. But organizations which have the open support of the nation states of Iran and Syria have and keep trying to attack this country. They are fighting us in Iraq. That is one of the war zones. Afganistan was a place to hole up and train from.

They weren't doing this until... drum roll please...

WE went over there.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#85 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 08:44 PM

While I agree that we should pull out, the major problem is, we can't just cut and run.  It's too late for that now.  The President has pressed our involvement too deep for it.  If we leave, the world, and especially Iraq will see it as either abandonment, and/or that the U.S. can be bullied around.  Not to mention every terrorist nutcase will turn Iraq into Taliban/Al-Queda central.  Then what?  You've already have Iran and Syria influencing this.  That's the real issue.  Bush has made the world an even more dangerous place than before the war.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#86 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 10:16 PM

View PostScottEVill, on Jan 14 2007, 07:47 PM, said:

I really didn't think it would come to this, but isn't it starting to feel like The Decider has made up his mind to provoke a confrontation with Iran?

Maybe this is reacting to the state sponsered terrorists. And their all but in uniform Iranian army soldiers.

When did the Iraq invite these soldiers to enter the country? Wouldn't that make these iranian troops a sort of invasion force. Or does Iraq have a growing tourist trade these days?

G--When did Iraq invite American soldiers to enter the country?  I'm not defending Iran -- just sayin'.  

The invite came around second hand from violated the terms of the ceasefire. To remind folks Iraq was suppose to cooperate with the inspctors and allow them full access. Saddam refused to fulfill those terms.  Ceasefire is not a peace treaty that a full inspection would have made happen.

And if we are not suppose to make sure that the terms of our ceasefire are carried out. Why bother making them. Next war where there is a ceasefire lets just keeep killing the soldiers of the opposition.  I mean it is only a rule of war and the left loves handcuffing themselves to rules as long as it's to their benifit.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#87 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:15 PM

To some extent I agree with Spidey. That is to say, I agree that we shouldn't just cut and run.

It's my understanding that the Sunni minority are looking to us for protection against the Shi'ia militia - what will happen to them if we leave?

I can't help but feel that the UK and US have a responsibility to try and salvage this mess as best as possible. We can't just go in there, mess up their country and then toddle on off with our tails between our legs saying 'oh yeah...maybe it wasn't such a great idea after all. We'll just take your oil and be on our way. Later!'

imo.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#88 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:41 PM

View PostG1223, on Jan 14 2007, 10:16 PM, said:

View PostScottEVill, on Jan 14 2007, 07:47 PM, said:

The invite came around second hand from violated the terms of the ceasefire. To remind folks Iraq was suppose to cooperate with the inspctors and allow them full access. Saddam refused to fulfill those terms.

The inspectors had returned to Iraq, and were being given unfettered access -- Not only did the President decide not to wait for their report before invading, he then -- on many occasions -- repeated the demonstrably false claim that Hussein had refused to let the inspectors in, and that's why we invaded.  

And if we are not suppose to make sure that the terms of our ceasefire are carried out. Why bother making them. Next war where there is a ceasefire lets just keeep killing the soldiers of the opposition.  I mean it is only a rule of war and the left loves handcuffing themselves to rules as long as it's to their benifit.

Iraq had been violating the cease fire for years -- and we had been punishing him for years with airstrikes.  Airstrikes that had destroyed whatever vestigal ability to make war on his neighbors he still possessed after we drove him out of Kuwait.   It's called a proportionate response.  

Meanwhile, 9/11 happened -- and we de-prioritized the perps in favor of going after this toothless wonder in Iraq.

Edited by ScottEVill, 15 January 2007 - 03:42 PM.

#89 The Tyrant

The Tyrant

R.I.P. Martin Landau

• Islander
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 05:36 PM

Of course...Iraq was nothing, and I repeat that, nothing to do with the War on Terror....it was Bush Jr. getting revenge on the guy that tried to kill his dear 'ol daddy.

I'd bet that Osama could release a videotape tomorrow telling the entire world exactly where he was, along with an engraved invitation to come get him, and Bush would just shrug and continue planning the invasion of Iran...

#90 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 07:36 PM

View PostRichieTyrant, on Jan 15 2007, 05:36 PM, said:

Of course...Iraq was nothing, and I repeat that, nothing to do with the War on Terror....it was Bush Jr. getting revenge on the guy that tried to kill his dear 'ol daddy.

First, that's not what the President and his people say... To this day, Dick Cheney tries to weasel-word his way to a connection between Iraq and 9/11.  Course, there is none.  

Anyway, if we're gonna psychoanalyze Bush (and I'm all for that), I'd have to say that it was less about revenge against the guy who "tried to kill mah day-ud," and more about trying to show his Dad up.  W always thought--and this is fact, not conjecture--that it was a mistake not to take Hussein out in the first Gulf War.  He also thought (now, this part IS conjecture) that his dad was a wimp, and he, W, was the Real Man in the family.  

So now was W's chance to show Poppy that he knew better all along.  

Uh-hem.  Yeah, not so much.  Funny how every contingency Poppy listed as a reason not to go to Baghdad in 91 has come to pass.  Just not "funny ha ha."  

Meanwhile, Poppy breaks down and weeps when speaking of his son's honor...  Course, he was--ostensibly--referring to Jeb, but transferrence is a funny thing.

I'll say this: someday, Oliver Stone is gonna make a killer film about all this.  Maybe he should option Maureen Dowd's book.

Edited by ScottEVill, 15 January 2007 - 07:39 PM.

#91 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 07:55 PM

View PostScottEVill, on Jan 15 2007, 04:36 PM, said:

I'll say this: someday, Oliver Stone is gonna make a killer film about all this.  Maybe he should option Maureen Dowd's book.

I was thinking the same thing just a few days ago.  Course I was also thinking I should write a screenplay and try to pitch it to Stone.   :p

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#92 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 09:01 PM

View PostScottEVill, on Jan 16 2007, 12:36 AM, said:

Now there's one I'll actually pay to see first-run on a theatre screen!!!

I have absolutely no respect for Bush as a man or as a president.  What organization can I join - other than the Democratic party, which I won't join probably untill some decent candidates are in the forefront - to support my disenchantment and wish that Bush would vanish from office??  Seriously.
Cats will never be extinct!

#93 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:13 AM

USA Today

Poll: Bush's new Iraq strategy fails to rally public support

By Susan Page, USA TODAY

WASHINGTON President Bush's address to the nation last week failed to move public opinion in support of his plan to increase U.S. troop levels in Iraq and left Americans more pessimistic about the likely outcome of the war.
In a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll taken Friday through Sunday, more than 6 of 10 people back the idea of a non-binding congressional resolution expressing opposition to Bush's plan to commit an additional 21,500 U.S. troops to Iraq.

He didn't get a bump at all after the speech on his overall approval rating. It dropped 3 points.

Approval of Bush's handling of Iraq moved up a tick, from a low point of 26% before the speech to 28% now. His overall job-approval rating dipped 3 points, to 34%.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#94 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:01 AM

^ I am deeply afraid if the 30ish% (different polls have different numbers but they are all in that ballpark) of this country that actualy think this guy is doing a good job. I don't think I will ever leave my state again. Here in MA his approval is down around the lunatic fringe.

You know the, "Bush is the bestest Prez evah and did you know that the Earth is flat?" crowd. :p

enTranced
Posted Image

#95 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:22 PM

View PostG1223, on Jan 14 2007, 02:38 PM, said:

View PostHibblette, on Jan 14 2007, 10:47 AM, said:

WE have no business being over there.

WE don't know what we are doing.

So WE need to remove ourselves from the situation.

And We need to do it so fast that the place caves in behind us. WE need to do nothing when attacked except make more fuel efficent cars and that will make them stop attacking us.  Gottcha.

The people who attacked us were, and still are, running free in Afganistan. Iraq was a distraction, and will accomplish little.
Can't Touch This!!

#96 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 07:17 PM

View PostSpidey, on Jan 10 2007, 09:24 PM, said:

View PostHibblette, on Jan 10 2007, 09:07 PM, said:

Impeachment doesn't necessarily mean he's ousted.

Problem is he probably won't stick around to find out.

But accountability on many factors must be taken and that includes things from the VP's camp.

March 17th eh. Hmmmm ST. Paddy's day...well now if that's not significant...hmmm

Okay, how about a resignation effective immediately?

Getting rid of Bush is useless unless Cheney also goes, as has been pointed out before. Nothing like giving the man who pulls the strings power.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#97 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 09:15 PM

View PostRhea, on Jan 16 2007, 06:17 PM, said:

View PostSpidey, on Jan 10 2007, 09:24 PM, said:

View PostHibblette, on Jan 10 2007, 09:07 PM, said:

Impeachment doesn't necessarily mean he's ousted.

Problem is he probably won't stick around to find out.

But accountability on many factors must be taken and that includes things from the VP's camp.

March 17th eh. Hmmmm ST. Paddy's day...well now if that's not significant...hmmm

Okay, how about a resignation effective immediately?

Getting rid of Bush is useless unless Cheney also goes, as has been pointed out before. Nothing like giving the man who pulls the strings power.

I think Cheney is up there for investigation-in fact his maybe more clear then Bush's.

#98 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:20 PM

View PostenTranced, on Jan 16 2007, 08:01 AM, said:

^ I am deeply afraid if the 30ish% (different polls have different numbers but they are all in that ballpark) of this country that actualy think this guy is doing a good job. I don't think I will ever leave my state again. Here in MA his approval is down around the lunatic fringe.

You know the, "Bush is the bestest Prez evah and did you know that the Earth is flat?" crowd. :p

enTranced

That 30%-ish crowd who still support him is no surprise to me.  There are always people who will follow a leader straight to the deepest levels of hell no matter how big of an idiot, or tyran he is (generally speaking).  I must admit, I looked up to Bush when 9/11 happened.  I think most of the nation did as well.  And he blew it.

View PostKosh, on Jan 16 2007, 12:22 PM, said:

The people who attacked us were, and still are, running free in Afganistan. Iraq was a distraction, and will accomplish little.

Those said people are not all huddling in one country though.  They're spread out.  They're in Syria, Iran, Iraq, Afganistan, Somalia, and God only knows where else.  Any nation that harbors terrorists.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: State of the Union, 2007, Bush

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users