• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 11:36 PM

Pizza chain under fire for peso plan

A Dallas-based pizza chain has been hit with death threats and hate e-mails after launching a program to accept Mexican pesos, becoming another flashpoint in the nation's debate over immigrants.

"This is the United States of America, not the United States of Mexico," one e-mail read. "Quit catering to the damn illegal Mexicans," demanded another.

Antonio Swad, president of the chain of 59 Pizza Patron stores, said he had expected to take some heat for the promotion, which began Monday. But he said he was stunned by the vitriol and the link to the immigration debate.

These people that are issuing the threats are so confused in my opinion. Tons of people go to Mexico for vacations  and bring back unused pesos. Or go visit family in Mexico and have leftover pesos.

Doesn't make them illegal Mexicans! Sheesh.

Edited by Shoshana, 11 January 2007 - 11:36 PM.

#2 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 11:48 PM

In the northeastern United States, ski resorts in areas like Vermont and New Hampshire regularly take Canadian dollars at face value because those skiers are a valuable source of income.  

Now, lest we forget, the Canadians are invading next year.
"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#3 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:12 AM

OK, I'm against illegal criminals just as much as the next guy...and more then some, since some seem to think we should just give them our country....But this...Come on! So the guy is willing to accept foreign money...it's his business, his right to decide to do so...his loss if the money is counterfeit, ect. He does have the right. He isn't telling everyone they have to pay in mexican money, just that he will accept it. His business, his call.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#4 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,161 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:38 AM

He's a smart business man, his enemies are not. Then again, I don't live there and have to deal with the problems of a border area. I reluctantly watched a show on it the other night, it's an on going problem, not just the, "coyotes," but the illegals dying in the desert trying to get to their destination. The illegals are not always Mexican either.

Canadians have already invaded the States, mostly Hollywood though.
7 verses I know you're there behind the veil.

#5 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 02:36 AM

So, first Mexicans don't need to learn English, now they don't need to use American money?  That's *^*#ed up.

http://www.foxnews.c...,242322,00.html

At first, I wasn't really bothered by it until I read this:

"We're trying to reach out to our core customer," Antonio Swad, the president of Pizza Patrón Inc., told the Dallas Morning News on Friday.

"We know they come back [from Mexico]and have pesos left over. We want to be a convenient place for them to spend their pesos."

Yes, we must not inconvenience the aliens with having to use OUR money. :sarcasm:  Don't know why that bothers me so much.  It just does.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#6 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 02:58 AM

oh i'm sure he's catering to illegals by allowing them to spend their pesos, not just legal vacationers.

the question is--is he ONLY accepting pesos?  or taking both dollars AND pesos?  if he is taking both, eh.  though i think they should just go to a bank and exchange their money.  not that bloody difficult.  if he's taking ONLY pesos, that needs to stop.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#7 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 03:04 AM

Spidey -

Does having Canadian dollars or EU euros make one an illegal alien? So why would pesos?

And really... who's it hurting if the place takes pesos?

Cheile - he takes pesos and dollars. He's doing a trial run. It's more convenient for the people spending pesos to buy pizza with them than it is to go to the bank and exchange them. The owner just collects the pesos and exchanges them (or deposits them) all together. This is done all the time on the border - it's only news because some of his pizza places aren't near the border.

Edited by Shoshana, 12 January 2007 - 03:09 AM.

#8 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 03:05 AM

View PostCheile, on Jan 11 2007, 11:58 PM, said:

oh i'm sure he's catering to illegals by allowing them to spend their pesos, not just legal vacationers.

the question is--is he ONLY accepting pesos?  or taking both dollars AND pesos?  if he is taking both, eh.  though i think they should just go to a bank and exchange their money.  not that bloody difficult.  if he's taking ONLY pesos, that needs to stop.

According to the article in my link, he is accepting both pesos or American dollars.
Posted Image

#9 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 03:16 AM

In case y'all haven't realized it, people who can come and go as they please across the border tend to be here legally. People who have made it here illegally don't go tromping back and forth on a regular basis.

#10 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 03:26 AM

if he's taking both....no big deal then.  i'd only be offended if he was refusing to take American money.

and Shoshana....wanna bet??  some of the relatives of a friend are illegal/still here under expired visas and they go tromping back and forth across the border every few years to visit family.  i doubt they're the only ones.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#11 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 03:34 AM

Nah, i don't bet. I'm going by how hard it is now to cross the border legally. And by the number of people I know that go to Mexico on a regular basis.

And there are people who come up from Mexico legally to shop and see relatives.

And really, who's it hurting to take the pesos? We always did it when I worked retail in high school and never had a problem.

#12 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 03:38 AM

I'm reminded of the bar in my home town that would accept Canadian Tire money at face value :D

To me, it's no big deal.  Here in the UK you can find loads of places that accept Euros and US dollars.  In Mexico I always use US dollar travellers checks.  Currancy is just a form of payment the person selling wants.
My candle burns at both its ends;
It will not last the night;
But oh, my foes, and oh, my friends --
It gives a lovely light."
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

#13 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 03:42 AM

View PostShoshana, on Jan 12 2007, 12:16 AM, said:

In case y'all haven't realized it, people who can come and go as they please across the border tend to be here legally. People who have made it here illegally don't go tromping back and forth on a regular basis.

Never been to California then. ;)  Illegals do it all the time.
Posted Image

#14 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 06:44 AM

And yet I wonder how many Americans visit foreign countries and insist on using American money wherever they go.

#15 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 08:03 AM

Given the number of inexperienced travellers? A lot.

View PostBroph, on Jan 12 2007, 06:44 AM, said:

And yet I wonder how many Americans visit foreign countries and insist on using American money wherever they go.

"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that don’t even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#16 Rhys

Rhys

... a learning experience.

• Islander
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 08:29 AM

Yup, a lot of places in Canada will accept American cash, although they don't usually give a great exchange rate.

I've gotta say, though, that the US is seeming a less-welcoming place to visit all the time.

Rhys
"It's easy to bond over hating something together - The Internet is total proof of that." Cyd/Codex, The Guild

Change the world!  No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

#17 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 08:36 AM

I know that in London a lot of places will accept Euro's, especially since theHigh speed channel tunnel link can drop you from London to Paris in a couple of hours, and I know that in Holland most of the border towns would accept money in both dutch and german or Belgian currency before the Euro.

So I'm not sure why this is a big deal to be honest?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#18 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 08:57 AM

View PostGodeskian, on Jan 12 2007, 08:36 AM, said:

I know that in London a lot of places will accept Euro's, especially since theHigh speed channel tunnel link can drop you from London to Paris in a couple of hours, and I know that in Holland most of the border towns would accept money in both dutch and german or Belgian currency before the Euro.

So I'm not sure why this is a big deal to be honest?

Because at this point, anything that involves anything Mexican has to be coming from the illegal immigrants.  There is no other kind.  :rolleyes:

Yeesh.
"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#19 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:00 AM

Funny, since I was a kid, banks and merchants have issued and accepted funny-money coins and faux bills of all stripes (a bank that offered wooden nickels sticks in my mind, but I've seen plastic and metal as well). These had no official backing at all, and with the standard cash value of 1/20th of a cent wasn't so far from the peso of my youth. I don't recall them being a threat to our nation.

While merchants everywhere find multiple currencies an accounting headache, it's been a fact of life throughout human history (traders were, after all, generally itinerant), and was fairly common in, say, Europe, in my lifetime (now of course, it is effectively institutionalized as the Euro). The US started out with separate currencies for each state, and many private banks issued their own as well. The Pesos was actually a more valued, reliable currency for American commerce than any of them, or the Federal dollar in its early years. Few customers had only one currency in their pocket until we changed our Constitution to create a "national bank" (originally explicitly forbidden)

Making change in colonial times was Anarch-level math that reduced all cash transactions to guesstimate barter. I've seen trade books of the time. hey had problems like:

You sell $18.08 (Massachusetts) of winter provisions to a customer. He has two 5 dollars and 15 shillings (Connecticut), a 5 dollars, three 1 dollars and 47 pence (Rhode Island) and 5 1-dollars and 11 cents New York. You have the following bills and coins in your till.  If the values are <list of exchange rates>, what do you give him in change?

#20 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:06 AM

IMOHO...it's not that big a deal....

Shoshana said----

And really, who's it hurting to take the pesos? We always did it when I worked retail in high school and never had a problem.

I've lived and worked in two border states....Texas and Arizona...and taking pesos now and then was never a big deal.  

It was not an everyday occurrence but was never treated as a huge deal.  But then we never advertised the fact that we might do it.  (usually was as a favor to a friend of the boss who also knew the exchange rate)

This is  a trial run that this pizza shop is trying out as a favor to its customers.  No doubt, it is more of a goodwill thing and likely will not be used that often.  

BTW the boss in Arizona had a vacation house in Mexico.....and was not Mexican but rather of German and English ancestry....and had both Mexican money and American money on them often. A lot of Americans around Phoenix had vacation and retirement homes in Puerto Penasco aka Rocky Point, Mexico.

Edited to add...Jay Leno made a joke about this last night saying that it was hard enough to get the right change back when it was US money, let alone working out the exchange rate.

Edited by trikay, 12 January 2007 - 09:09 AM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Texas, Business, Accepting pesos, hate mail, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users