53 replies to this topic

#1 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 10:52 AM

http://www.foxnews.c...,243082,00.html

Fourteen more, wow - who were in an advisory group for The Carter Center.   :blink:

They "join a longtime Carter aide, Jewish groups and lawmakers who have publicly criticized the former president's best-selling book "Palestine: Peace, Not Apartheid" for inaccuracies and distorting history."
The resignations come after Kenneth Stein, director of the Institute for the Study of Modern Israel of Emory University, resigned in December, saying the book distorts history to shape the reader's opinion to one side of the issue.
"I just want to be sure that when people write history, people don't do it for purpose of special pleading," he said. "They write it the way it was. They don't try to shape a person's opinion and slide them down a path in order to come to an inevitable conclusion."
Stein said the book contained "factual errors, copied materials not cited, superficialities, glaring omissions and simply invented segments."
The latest resignation also follows other questions to surface over the book.
Last month, Ambassador Dennis Ross, a former Mideast envoy and FOX News foreign affairs analyst, claims maps commissioned and published by him were improperly republished in Carter's book.
"I think there should be a correction and an attribution," Ross said. "These were maps that never existed, I created them."
After Ross saw the maps in Carter's book, he told his publisher he wanted a correction.
When asked if the former president ripped him off, Ross replied, "It sure looks that way."
================================

At first when I heard just about Stein, I thought he was co-authoring this book, but apparently that's not the case and he co-authored previous books with Carter.
About Stein's beef:  http://camera.org/in...;x_article=1245
"Stein was concerned that his continued association with the Center would leave the impression that he was "sanctioning a series of egregious errors and polemical conclusions which appeared in President Carter's book." He criticized Carter, saying "being president doesn't give one the prerogative to bend the facts to reach a prescribed reality."
"aside from the one-sided nature of the book, meant to provoke, there are recollections cited from meetings where I was the third person in the room, and my notes of those meetings show little similarity to points claimed in the book."  

This isn't freshman high school creative writing class.  He's a former President of the U.S. for pizza's sake.  What's going on?
If this is one co author's sour grapes, and/or media lynching the reputation of Carter by latching onto someone's gripe session, why did 14 more individuals, not counting the Wiesenthal Center, quit?

Edited by Nittany Lioness, 12 January 2007 - 10:57 AM.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#2 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 10:59 AM

Oops - posted this in the wrong forum -
would a kind moderator move this thread to OT?
Beg your pardon.   :blush:  :oops:

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#3 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:06 AM

Done, thought it looked odd in AGQ

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#4 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:26 AM

This isn't freshman high school creative writing class. He's a former President of the U.S. for pizza's sake.
I've ALWAYS believed the election of 76 hinged on the "pizza" factor. Ford never really had the support of the mozzarella wing of his party.

-scherzo
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#5 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:48 AM

View PostNittany Lioness, on Jan 12 2007, 03:52 PM, said:

This isn't freshman high school creative writing class.  He's a former President of the U.S. for pizza's sake.  What's going on?
If this is one co author's sour grapes, and/or media lynching the reputation of Carter by latching onto someone's gripe session, why did 14 more individuals, not counting the Wiesenthal Center, quit?

Um, because a lot of otherwise rational and dispassionate people have freakouts whenever Israel gets criticized in any way.  Ironically, the range of
"acceptable" public opinion when discussing Israel is much narrower in the United States than it is in Israel itself.  You read stuff in Haaretz that would be immediately denounced as anti-semitic if it appeared in an American newspaper.  Look at how Carter, who did more than any other modern President to bring Israel peace by brokering Camp David, is suddenly branded a rabid Jew-hater because he's now denouncing Israel's seizure and colonization of land in the Occupied Territories and herding of the Palestinians into Bantustans.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#6 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:01 PM

Um, because a lot of otherwise rational and dispassionate people have freakouts whenever Israel gets criticized in any way. Ironically, the range of
"acceptable" public opinion when discussing Israel is much narrower in the United States than it is in Israel itself. You read stuff in Haaretz that would be immediately denounced as anti-semitic if it appeared in an American newspaper. Look at how Carter, who did more than any other modern President to bring Israel peace by brokering Camp David, is suddenly branded a rabid Jew-hater because he's now denouncing Israel's seizure and colonization of land in the Occupied Territories and herding of the Palestinians into Bantustans.
Hmmm...read the whole article and saw no evidence of "freakouts", and definitely missed the part where Carter was called a "rabid Jew-hater". I guess otherwise rational and dispassionate people have a tendency to exaggerate, anytime factual errors are detected in their favorite liberal douchebag's crackling bestseller. :p

-scherzo
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#7 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,147 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:42 PM

View PostNittany Lioness, on Jan 12 2007, 10:52 AM, said:

Fourteen more, wow - who were in an advisory group for The Carter Center.   :blink:

They "join a longtime Carter aide, Jewish groups and lawmakers who have publicly criticized the former president's best-selling book "Palestine: Peace, Not Apartheid" for inaccuracies and distorting history."
The resignations come after Kenneth Stein, director of the Institute for the Study of Modern Israel of Emory University, resigned in December, saying the book distorts history to shape the reader's opinion to one side of the issue.
"I just want to be sure that when people write history, people don't do it for purpose of special pleading," he said. "They write it the way it was. They don't try to shape a person's opinion and slide them down a path in order to come to an inevitable conclusion."
Stein said the book contained "factual errors, copied materials not cited, superficialities, glaring omissions and simply invented segments."
The latest resignation also follows other questions to surface over the book.
Last month, Ambassador Dennis Ross, a former Mideast envoy and FOX News foreign affairs analyst, claims maps commissioned and published by him were improperly republished in Carter's book.
"I think there should be a correction and an attribution," Ross said. "These were maps that never existed, I created them."
After Ross saw the maps in Carter's book, he told his publisher he wanted a correction.
When asked if the former president ripped him off, Ross replied, "It sure looks that way."

At first when I heard just about Stein, I thought he was co-authoring this book, but apparently that's not the case and he co-authored previous books with Carter.
About Stein's beef:  http://camera.org/in...;x_article=1245
"Stein was concerned that his continued association with the Center would leave the impression that he was "sanctioning a series of egregious errors and polemical conclusions which appeared in President Carter's book." He criticized Carter, saying "being president doesn't give one the prerogative to bend the facts to reach a prescribed reality."
"aside from the one-sided nature of the book, meant to provoke, there are recollections cited from meetings where I was the third person in the room, and my notes of those meetings show little similarity to points claimed in the book."  

Sounds like none of them ever attended a history class in USA schools, where a third of what you learn is either total BS or a sanitized version of what really happened.
Can't Touch This!!

#8 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:52 PM

^What total BS did they teach you?
Posted Image

#9 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 01:18 PM

Another view, a defense of Carter by Israelis who actually agree with him and consider the attacks on him to be unfair.

http://www.commondre...s07/0109-28.htm

There is, naturally, a robust difference of opinion about Israel's treatment of Palestinians. The article concludes with the suggestion that the debate is actually healthier and less-impeded by charges of "antisemitism" in Israel than it is in the U.S.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#10 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 01:45 PM

My co-worker was ranting about this today (because American Family Radio told her to), and she wants all copies of his book confiscated and burned.  Because, she said, "I don't know how Jimmy Carter can side with the Palestinians after they bombed us on 9-11!"

:blink:

She's also happy that we get along with the Russians now, after we fought against them in World War II, and that Hitler was bad because he "only liked Americans."

And, she worries about Buddhism because of "them people sticking them pins in them dolls," has asked me how big a convertible is, and asked our boss where she could go to get a Christmas stocking engraved.

She's very concerned about Israel, though... even though she thinks Hebrew is a very hard language to learn, and Jewish is even harder.  And if she adopted a baby, she'd get a Chinese one, because they're so well-behaved.

I wish I were making any of that up, but, alas...  :wacko:

So, basically, I think the fear of Carter is a spook-the-herd dealie, and, from what I can see, the herd is being very accomodating.

I'm not a fan of Carter, and I'm not a fan of Palestine, but I'm not a fan of Israel, either.  I think it has a right to exist and defend themselves, but I don't know why we have to get dragged into a quarrel that's not about us.   9-11 was bad, but so was The U.S.S. Liberty, so I don't see a lotta friendlies on either flank.  I wish they'd all settle their dispute so the rest of the world could quit suffering on its behalf.  But, that might require atheism, and we can't have that...

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#11 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 02:10 PM

What a shame that even Carter can be vilified for speaking his mind.  What a shame.

Edited by Chipper, 12 January 2007 - 02:11 PM.

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#12 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 02:38 PM

View PostNittany Lioness, on Jan 12 2007, 10:52 AM, said:

What can you expect from a man who would give away safety and not even get security? The man feels that having a few kind words and good intentions will automaticly mean the other guy is just as willing to work with you towards a compromise.

Jimmy Carter while working towards putting up homes for the needy was doing a worthwile thing. As a statesmen he is a disaster. Yet they still have folks wanting to line up with him and hold up his Nobel Peace Prize. Which he got for giving a brand new shiney nuclear reactor to North Korea while leaving the bomb making one in Fearless Leader's dainty hands. Why because Kim told him he would no make anymore bomb materials.

God what a fool.

Then we have his helping fix the problem in Haiti. Which is somehow still not fixed. Odd that Jimmy waved his magic hands and the problem just changed form. Nice Magic Jimmy.

Jimmy Carter was the right man when we had the problem at Three Mile Island as he was a nuclear watch officer while in the navy. So he understood what was being said to him and able to form reasonable suggestions.
But his forgien policy was styled around giving away the whole kitchen cabinets and sink included.

Edited by G1223, 12 January 2007 - 02:42 PM.

If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#13 Kosh

Kosh

• Islander
  • 11,147 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 03:38 PM

God what a fool.

Shouldn't be so hard on yourself. We forgive you. I know that you know that Carter did more to bring peace to this planet then any president since, and that Bush makes Carter look like one of the best presidents ever if you compare the two, so chill, have a glass of tea, and don't worry about it, no one thinks you are a fool.
Can't Touch This!!

#14 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 03:56 PM

I know that you know that Carter did more to bring peace to this planet then any president since,
I guess that answers my question about the BS.  :rolleyes:

-scherzo
Posted Image

#15 Kosh

Kosh

• Islander
  • 11,147 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 04:41 PM

I'm in my happy place today. I'm about to be off for three days.
Can't Touch This!!

#16 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 04:47 PM

View PostKosh, on Jan 12 2007, 03:38 PM, said:

God what a fool.

Shouldn't be so hard on yourself. We forgive you. I know that you know that Carter did more to bring peace to this planet then any president since, and that Bush makes Carter look like one of the best presidents ever if you compare the two, so chill, have a glass of tea, and don't worry about it, no one thinks you are a fool.

Yeah he gave away the panama canal. He stodd around and looked like a joke with a bunch of kids siezing our embassy. That took the threat of Regan bombing the place to hell and back as well as selling of a few small arms to get the people loose. Yet it was Jimmy talking that got the students released. Yeah right. Jimmy was a horrible President. But he has been a decent leader for habitates for humanity. Otherwise he is a disaster.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#17 Kosh

Kosh

• Islander
  • 11,147 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 04:57 PM

View PostG1223, on Jan 12 2007, 04:47 PM, said:

View PostKosh, on Jan 12 2007, 03:38 PM, said:

God what a fool.

Yeah he gave away the panama canal. He stodd around and looked like a joke with a bunch of kids siezing our embassy. That took the threat of Regan bombing the place to hell and back as well as selling of a few small arms to get the people loose. Yet it was Jimmy talking that got the students released. Yeah right. Jimmy was a horrible President. But he has been a decent leader for habitates for humanity. Otherwise he is a disaster.

Forget that he had Isreal at the peace talks table. He certinly deserves no credit for something that no one else managed.

I would have agreed about the canal at one time, but it has made zero difference who runs the thing, so screw it. The Panamainians had there country cut in half for the thing, they deserve some revenue, and we made our investment back and then some.

He stodd around and looked like a joke with a bunch of kids siezing our embassy.

You mean the ones with the machine guns? They weren't kids. I don't know how old you are, but I remember this very clearly.

You seem to have forgotten that he ordered a rescue, and the millitary Fuc#ed it up so badly that they ended up getting each other killed in the prosses. No one stodd around. He didn't lie about anything either, unlike the current president. You have a very selective memory G.
Can't Touch This!!

#18 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 05:06 PM

View Postscherzo, on Jan 12 2007, 03:56 PM, said:

I know that you know that Carter did more to bring peace to this planet then any president since,
I guess that answers my question about the BS.  :rolleyes:

-scherzo

Pot.  Meet Kettle.

;)  You knew it was coming. :p

Edited by Chipper, 12 January 2007 - 05:06 PM.

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#19 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 05:11 PM

View PostZwolf, on Jan 12 2007, 12:45 PM, said:

My co-worker was ranting about this today (because American Family Radio told her to), and she wants all copies of his book confiscated and burned.  Because, she said, "I don't know how Jimmy Carter can side with the Palestinians after they bombed us on 9-11!"

:blink:

She's also happy that we get along with the Russians now, after we fought against them in World War II, and that Hitler was bad because he "only liked Americans."

And, she worries about Buddhism because of "them people sticking them pins in them dolls," has asked me how big a convertible is, and asked our boss where she could go to get a Christmas stocking engraved.

She's very concerned about Israel, though... even though she thinks Hebrew is a very hard language to learn, and Jewish is even harder.  And if she adopted a baby, she'd get a Chinese one, because they're so well-behaved.

I wish I were making any of that up, but, alas...  :wacko:

This gave me a laughing fit that turned into a coughing fit -- it hurt so good. You couldn't write characters like that and make them believable.  :lol:

As for Carter, I think it was his passionate defense of Hugo Chavez that put me into the "Carter is possibly losing his mind" school of thought.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#20 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 05:23 PM

This gave me a laughing fit that turned into a coughing fit -- it hurt so good. You couldn't write characters like that and make them believable.
Man, I wish I could. :)  She's basically a nice lady, she means well, but maaaaan, can she come up with some crazy stuff.  I actually keep a list of quotes of hers somewhere, just 'cuz I don't want to ever forget them.  :)

As for Carter, I think it was his passionate defense of Hugo Chavez that put me into the "Carter is possibly losing his mind" school of thought.

Yep, that one's pretty hard to get around...

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: President Jimmy Carter, Advisers flee, Book, Palestine, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users