• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#1 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,716 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 09:16 AM

Actually, Edward Teller's B-day is Monday (Jan 15) but that is Martin Luther King Day in the US yhis year (it moves around);  posting a nuke then might seem like some sort of twisted civil rights message..

I've suggested in the Skinning EI forum that we might take a page from Google's book, and periodically substitute the Ex Isle logo to commemorate a genre-related anniversary or event, but it didn't seem to ignite any imaginations, so I thought I'd run a concrete example up the flagpole and see if any artistic EI'ers saluted. (I don't plan to do one every day)

It's a good week for it. Monday is MLK Day. Ben Franklin, Edgar Allen Poe, A.A. Milne, and Buzz Aldrin were just a few of the illustrious B-days this week. Then again, I suppose any week could produce an equally illustrious list. For the past couple of weeks, I've constantly found myself thinking "Dang! That was yesterday? I should have logo'ed it!" I finally decided to just go ahead and do it.

Or rather fail to do it. My closest effort sad is below, spoilered for those with sensitive eyes or artistic sensibilities.
Spoiler: click to show/hide
logo4teller2.jpg

The work of art we actually used is courtesy of D.Rabbit, Artistic Rescuer Extraordinaire. Thanks, D.!
Logo4_TellerB_Day.jpg

Edited by Orpheus, 31 July 2007 - 01:17 PM.

#2 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 10:12 AM

uhm, I don't see the banner at all? I'm using the IPB 2.1 default skin

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#3 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 10:20 AM

Ha! Neat, Orph! :D And thanks for the cool explosion, D!! I always like a good explosion with lots of fire :D.

Although at first I thought someone was blowing up our island... :wink:.

#4 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,117 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 10:21 AM

I'm going to have to google that name, I don't know who that is.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#5 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

Water's wet; sky's blue; and Satan Clause is out there.

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 10:32 AM

Personally, I found myself thinking that the it looked like the dolphins were fleeing Bikini Atoll just a little too late.  See, their fins were singed.

Rose: [disgusted] Oh, look at what the cat dragged in: "The Oncoming Storm."

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

Sometimes the best causes worth fighting for are lost causes. -- Me.

Formerly Known as "Lost Cause."

#6 Julianus

Julianus
  • Islander
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:11 AM

It's just PERFECT!
Pax vobiscum,
Julianus :lol:

#7 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,716 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:17 AM

View PostGodeskian, on Jan 14 2007, 10:12 AM, said:

uhm, I don't see the banner at all? I'm using the IPB 2.1 default skin
The IPB 2.1 default skin is outmoded, and no longer available to the general membership. I've fixed it to its default state, but you'll find that the IPB 2.2 Default skin is more reliable, and probably has more features.

View PostNikki Peppermint, on Jan 14 2007, 10:20 AM, said:

Although at first I thought someone was blowing up our island... :wink:.
One small step for man, one giant leap for a tropical atoll.

View Postsierraleone, on Jan 14 2007, 10:21 AM, said:

I'm going to have to google that name, I don't know who that is.
To spare others the trek: Edward Teller is popularly called "the father of the H-bomb"

View PostLost Cause, on Jan 14 2007, 10:32 AM, said:

Personally, I found myself thinking that the it looked like the dolphins were fleeing Bikini Atoll just a little too late.  See, their fins were singed.
"Goodbye and thanks for all the fission"?

Yes, I thought that D.Rabbit's illuminating the bombwards surfaces with the incandescence of the afterglow was a nice touch.

Clearly, she knows her way around Da Bomb.

#8 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:38 AM

According to those in the know, I am, "Da Bomb!"
Actually, I'm just your everyday WMD. ;)

I love the idea, of commemorative banners, I started to add a few seasonal gifs to my homepage, which reminds me, it's time for a new one.

Are you going to place a sticky in the creative forum for submissions? That way those who care to participate can make them up in advance?

edit: What about a 3 cell animation? I truly wanted to make the bomb roil to give the full effect.

Edited by D.Rabbit, 14 January 2007 - 11:44 AM.

7 verses I know you're there behind the veil.

#9 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:49 AM

Thank you Julianus,
D. bows.
It's Orph's idea, I am just a pawn in his game.
7 verses I know you're there behind the veil.

#10 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,716 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:51 AM

There's a thread near the top of Skinning Ex Isle (as in "There's more than one way to...") subforum. I'll leave any decision on pinning or notices in other forums to the respective mods, but I think that the banners themselves, smack-dab on the top of every page should be more than advertising enough. However, the AQG mods may want to pin *this* thread, so we have a single place for comments/announcements of all future banners (In fact, I think I should go back and put the banner *in* the announcement post, as the first in a permanent gallery of logos.)

If you're interested in submitting a modified logo for consideration, just attach it to a PM to me, along with any details you might wish me to know/mention. I'd prefer that they be under 20K, but since the logo only loads once, and is re-used on every subsequent page, I might be willing to go as high as 50K -- but that's a full 1-2 second delay in the initial connection to Ex Isle for our members on dialup, so let's try to keep them trim, eh?

We aren't limited to standard static gifs. Animated GIFs will work (though they could be a bit to distracting at the top of every page). Transparent gifs that reach out of the bottom and right-side margins have tested okay (see the post in Skinning Ex Isle), and I'm sure you'll all think of other effects I can't imagine.

Edited by Orpheus, 14 January 2007 - 12:04 PM.

#11 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 12:00 PM

Sorted, thanks Orph

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#12 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 12:29 PM

I could have gone the rest of my life without seeing a mushroom cloud in the EI logo.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#13 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 03:29 PM

You and me both Rhea, but as an experiment it has a lot to say!

Since Orph said animations are okay, I gave it a shot!

edit: size is 32,382

Edited by D.Rabbit, 14 January 2007 - 03:32 PM.

#14 foborg

foborg
  • Islander
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:37 PM

I'm very upset that there is spoiler in the banner today! You should keep that inside the review thread about the episode!  :ranting:

:p~
Please don't spoil future episodes, even if they've been previewed.

#15 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,716 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:10 PM

If it makes you feel any better:
Spoiler: click to show/hide
It's not a spoiler because "Hope (from "thirtysomething") doesn't live on". She apparently dies and returns as an Ascended Being on Stargate: SG-1

#16 Smitty

Smitty

"If I knew what was going on I'd really be indignant.&q

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:39 PM

So Ex-Isle is an atoll.

-cs™

#17 semifluff

semifluff
  • Dead account
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 07:40 PM

So everyone here is celebrating the mass murder of millions of Japanese??  What's next, Pol Pot's wedding anniversary?

#18 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 08:14 PM

View Postsemifluff, on Jan 15 2007, 12:40 AM, said:

So everyone here is celebrating the mass murder of millions of Japanese??

Hardly.

Defy Gravity!

#19 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,716 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 08:29 PM

Not to belabor the point (addressed elsewhere) but this seems a common confusion.

Teller is called the father of the hydrogen (fusion) bomb. The H-bomb was developed many years after the A-bomb (atomic or "fission") bombs were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. He left the project before the H-bomb was a reality, and spent most of the rest of his career advocating peaceful uses of nuclear devices, ranging from mega-scale engineering projects to space exploration, testing and setting standards for fission reactor safety, researching and advocating for nuclear fusion, and advocating for air-and space- based missile defense systems. He also co-founded Lawrence Livermore National labs, and made unrelated fundamental discoveries in several fields that have impact in today's technologies, including surface chemistry, nanotech and the quantum mechanics of dyes.  

I don't see how a banner about this Hungarian-born refugee from Nazi Germany celebrates the slaughter of many Japanese civilians. Yes, like many physicists during WWII, he did contribute to the Manhattan Project, but he is no more responsible for the political decision to bomb Japan, or the existence of an A-bomb at all, than many other scientists. He's certainly no Alfred Nobel (of Nobel Prize fame) who personally invented, manufactured and sold dynamite worldwide -- dynamite his company still sells every day for peaceful and military uses, and which has killed far more than all the nuclear devices ever made.

Even if you ignore all his other accomplishments, Teller's H-bombs have never been used on anyone. I won't call him an angel or a peacenik, but most physicians have a higher death toll, even accidental, than Edward Teller.

Besides, as said initially, the banner is a demonstration, not advocacy. It's what my nonartistic mind could come up with as illustration. Today isn't even really Edward Teller's B-day.

Edited by Orpheus, 14 January 2007 - 08:33 PM.

#20 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,716 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 09:46 PM

However, today really *is* the birthday of enTranced's and Bossy's newest Ex Isler, James.

This blessed event demands a custom logo banner -- something much better than the one I threw up. Help? HELPPP!

Edited by Orpheus, 14 January 2007 - 09:49 PM.

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users