170 replies to this topic

#21 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:25 AM

View PostOrpheus, on Jan 14 2007, 06:16 AM, said:

The work of art we actually used is courtesy of D.Rabbit, Artistic Rescuer Extraordinaire. Thanks, D.!
The work of art we actually used is courtesy of D.Rabbit, Artistic Rescuer Extraordinaire. Thanks, D.!
Attachment Logo4_TellerB_Day.jpg[b][i]

^Looks more like the when I just used the restroom.  whew, talk about WMD's.  LOL :D :barf:

Great artwork.  Very cool.

Edited by Spidey, 15 January 2007 - 12:28 AM.

Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#22 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:57 AM

View Postsemifluff, on Jan 14 2007, 07:40 PM, said:

So everyone here is celebrating the mass murder of millions of Japanese??  What's next, Pol Pot's wedding anniversary?

Millions? Closer to maybe a half million. Compare that number to the tens if not hundreds of thousands of lives which might have been lost on just the Allies side. And higher numbers of wounded and or crippled soldiers which would be  also expected The cost of saving our own troops lives merited using the bomb,

The Japanese were preparing to defend their home islands to the last drop of blood if need be. Children were being trained to crawl under tanks and explode the bomb strapped to their backs. Women and elderly people being trained to use bamboo spears to attack enmass. All of which would have left the hardened Marines of the march to  Tokyo little choice but to kill anything that moved.

We are talking millions of military and civilian causualties.

So 500,000 or millions of injured and dead the math keeps making the dropping of the bomb the best of opinions.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#23 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:59 AM

View PostOrpheus, on Jan 14 2007, 08:29 PM, said:

Not to belabor the point (addressed elsewhere) but this seems a common confusion.

Teller is called the father of the hydrogen (fusion) bomb. The H-bomb was developed many years after the A-bomb (atomic or "fission") bombs were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. He left the project before the H-bomb was a reality, and spent most of the rest of his career advocating peaceful uses of nuclear devices, ranging from mega-scale engineering projects to space exploration, testing and setting standards for fission reactor safety, researching and advocating for nuclear fusion, and advocating for air-and space- based missile defense systems. He also co-founded Lawrence Livermore National labs, and made unrelated fundamental discoveries in several fields that have impact in today's technologies, including surface chemistry, nanotech and the quantum mechanics of dyes.  

I don't see how a banner about this Hungarian-born refugee from Nazi Germany celebrates the slaughter of many Japanese civilians. Yes, like many physicists during WWII, he did contribute to the Manhattan Project, but he is no more responsible for the political decision to bomb Japan, or the existence of an A-bomb at all, than many other scientists. He's certainly no Alfred Nobel (of Nobel Prize fame) who personally invented, manufactured and sold dynamite worldwide -- dynamite his company still sells every day for peaceful and military uses, and which has killed far more than all the nuclear devices ever made.

Even if you ignore all his other accomplishments, Teller's H-bombs have never been used on anyone. I won't call him an angel or a peacenik, but most physicians have a higher death toll, even accidental, than Edward Teller.

Besides, as said initially, the banner is a demonstration, not advocacy. It's what my nonartistic mind could come up with as illustration. Today isn't even really Edward Teller's B-day.
And also the reality of needing to drop it.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#24 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:49 AM

G - regardless of whether or not it was necessary to drop the A-bomb, and regardless of whether or not YOU think that hundreds of thousands of death was necessary - it is STILL hardly something to celebrate. THAT is the point. You might think that putting your dog down is necessary. That doesn't make it a day to celebrate in the years to come. There are far more worthy things to celebrate out there.

For the record this is in response to G's comment and is not about the banner issue. It's already been established that Edward Teller had little to do with that anyway.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#25 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:05 PM

If you want to get into the condemnation of celebrations, how about Columbus Day?
Oh please that man murdered countless people in the Caribbean who refused to convert to Christianity.
The fact that there is a day set aside to celebrate that man, disgusts me.

#26 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,822 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:10 PM

Okay, okay, I take it all back -- we have been hacked.

#27 foborg

foborg
  • Islander
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:32 PM

Who did it?
Please don't spoil future episodes, even if they've been previewed.

#28 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,822 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:48 PM

Col. Mustard in the Parlor, with an axe.

#29 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:24 PM

If you want to get into the condemnation of celebrations, how about Columbus Day?
Oh please that man murdered countless people in the Caribbean who refused to convert to Christianity.

You guys celebrate Columbus Day? :eh: ...why? :eh:

Sparky

#30 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:30 PM

Presumably as the discoverer of America (ignoring the vikings mind you)

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#31 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:31 PM

View PostOrpheus, on Jan 15 2007, 06:48 PM, said:

Col. Mustard in the Parlor, with an axe.

But what was his motive darnit :p

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#32 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,191 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:53 PM

And where did he get a Clue game with an axe in it?
Posted Image

#33 Smitty

Smitty

"If I knew what was going on I'd really be indignant.&q

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:28 PM

View PostOrpheus, on Jan 15 2007, 12:10 PM, said:

Okay, okay, I take it all back -- we have been hacked.
Noam Chomsky?
Howard Zinn?

-cs™

#34 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:10 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on Jan 15 2007, 03:24 PM, said:

You guys celebrate Columbus Day? :eh: ...why? :eh:

Sparky
[Scrooge]Just another way to pick a man's pockets.[/Scrooge]
They wanted a holiday between Labor Day and Thanksgiving. Since Columbus was born Oct. 30 th, they celebrate it in the middle of the month.   :blink:

It was hacked too!

eep!
7 verses I know you're there behind the veil.

#35 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:58 PM

Cluedo was hacked! Is there anything around here that hasn't been hacked?

Presumably as the discoverer of America (ignoring the vikings mind you)

Pah, yeah right! History was hacked. Leif Eriksson discovered ole Vinland way before that Columbus guy. I'll tell Erik the Red you're ignoring his sons achievements and then you'll be sorry for that bracketed backtracking :p

In fact, probably there were a ton of explorers discovered it before even Leif. But the Vikings bothered to write stuff down. The Spanish just wanna steal all the credit from the Icelanders. :rolleyes:

Sparky

#36 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 07:36 PM

View PostRommieSG, on Jan 15 2007, 03:53 PM, said:

You have to ax for it.  :D
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#37 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,651 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 07:42 PM

View Postfoborg, on Jan 14 2007, 05:37 PM, said:

I'm very upset that there is spoiler in the banner today! You should keep that inside the review thread about the episode!  :ranting:

Did I miss a banner?  The birth of eT's and Bossy's son doesn't refer to any television episode.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#38 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 08:10 PM

^ I think it was a joke. ;)
"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#39 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 08:24 PM

Did you notice the highlighted letters when stacked spell out tao? as Tao means 'way', could this be a hint that Bossy and ET are on the right way with James? ;)

Edited by Godeskian, 15 January 2007 - 08:24 PM.

Defy Gravity!

#40 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,822 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 09:45 PM

Thank you for noticing the Tao. I made it as obvious as I dared.

I will reward you by restraining the obvious Taoism puns. Wayist puns, on the other hand, are available on request. They have been all too rare in recent years.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users