170 replies to this topic

#41 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:50 PM

View PostGodeskian, on Jan 15 2007, 12:30 PM, said:

Presumably as the discoverer of America (ignoring the vikings mind you)

I like to call it Viking Day.  Sounds cooler too.  :cool:
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#42 Smitty

Smitty

"If I knew what was going on I'd really be indignant.&q

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:42 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on Jan 15 2007, 05:58 PM, said:

Cluedo was hacked! Is there anything around here that hasn't been hacked?

Presumably as the discoverer of America (ignoring the vikings mind you)

Pah, yeah right! History was hacked. Leif Eriksson discovered ole Vinland way before that Columbus guy. I'll tell Erik the Red you're ignoring his sons achievements and then you'll be sorry for that bracketed backtracking :p

In fact, probably there were a ton of explorers discovered it before even Leif. But the Vikings bothered to write stuff down. The Spanish just wanna steal all the credit from the Icelanders. :rolleyes:

Sparky
Columbus was from Italy.

Let's call all it Chomsky/Zinn Day!

-cs™

#43 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,211 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:48 PM

Columbus may have been from Italy but he was working for the brat Queen Isabella of Spain. He also died penniless.
The guy was a big time loser.

#44 foborg

foborg
  • Islander
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:57 PM

Cardie: I was referring to the KA-BOOM banner. And if you don't know what it "spoiled", I won't tell ya. :p
Please don't spoil future episodes, even if they've been previewed.

#45 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:20 PM

Columbus was from Italy.
I know. Well, they THINK anyways. But it was the Spaniards that got the claim to fame through him.

I like to call it Viking Day. Sounds cooler too.

I think you're on to something there! Think of all the cool Viking-themed things you could do.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#46 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 06:50 PM

View PostD.Rabbit, on Jan 14 2007, 12:29 PM, said:

You and me both Rhea, but as an experiment it has a lot to say!

Since Orph said animations are okay, I gave it a shot!

edit: size is 32,382

I probably shouldn't have been so abrupt. Love the idea and ADORE the baby announcement. :D
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#47 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:17 PM

One minor thing about the birth announcement, Nebari is spell with an i.

Nebari  :D
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#48 Rhys

Rhys

... a learning experience.

• Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:25 PM

View PostDWF, on Jan 16 2007, 10:17 PM, said:

One minor thing about the birth announcement, Nebari is spell with an i.

Nebari  :D

Yes, but Nebar (the planet) is spelled without.

Rhys
"It's easy to bond over hating something together - The Internet is total proof of that." Cyd/Codex, The Guild

Change the world!  No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

#49 bobdylanite

bobdylanite

Certifiably Bobsessed

• Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:36 PM

We currently have the Best. Banner. Ever!

:D :ninjapooh: :love:
The machine guns are roaring, The puppets heave rocks
The fiends nail time bombs to the hands of the clocks
Call me any name you like, I will never deny it
Farewell Angelina, The sky is erupting
I must go where it's quiet.
-Bob Dylan

#50 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,822 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:57 PM

Yes, I debated that. The planet was correctly known as Nebari Prime (which would have thrown the spacing off), and I didn't recall any formal/consistent mention of any Nebari political or social hierarchy or collective, so I just went with Nebar because a) it fit (though the final design did have space for the terminal "i", my first pass didn't, and I did the banner quickly -- literally *over* my lunch); and b) by my third pass, I'd started to like the sound of "Nebar". James can correct me when he ascends to the throne. (Just remember, kid: I may have gotten it wrong, but I was your first public celebrant!)

Just so y'all know my plans: after a few more days, this won't be as much an AQG topic as a skinning topic, so I will move this thread to the "Skinning Ex Isle" forum. In the interests of archiving, I will try to save each logo as we use it -- but I can use help. Anyone *can* download and attach a message with the current banner, if they see that I haven't done it, (and I'd appreciate it if they did).

There were two announcement banners for eT and Bossy's baby. The first one was tossed up quickly when I heard the news, but it partially overlapped the Guidelines button (by design, but it could have been done better) so I put up a tidier banner. Archiving here:
logo4_eTbaby.gif

logo4_eTbaby2.gif

Though I have fallen into the pitfall, at times, of speaking of specialty banners for holidays, that's really not how I saw them originally.  I was *thrilled* to be able to celebrate James' birth, because I originally meant these banners to be about the genre(s) and our community, not historical details. Where else could I find a celebration of September 13 for the Lunar explosion on Space: 1999? Aside from the sheer nerdy trivia potential, we should get some nice debates out of it.

That's not to say it *can't* be used for historical (genre) dates. That just wasn't what lit my fire in the original discussions, Since I imagine that birthdays and holidays *are* easy targets, I wanted to make sure to emphasize the other possibilities. I meant it to be about fun, not history. Though others may disagree, I found the 1952 H-bomb (never used against humans) ironic humor for a site founded on an uninhabited tropical isle -- the traditional target for H-bombs

So let your creative juices flow.

#51 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,064 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:06 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on Jan 15 2007, 03:24 PM, said:

You guys celebrate Columbus Day? :eh: ...why? :eh:

Because when America gained its independence, the newborn nation was in need of a mythology to give it a sense of heritage and a "mission statement" for its values and goals.  Since one of its major values at the time was Manifest Destiny, Washington Irving (who was one of the chief architects of that American mythology) chose to elevate Christopher Columbus to a cultural-founder hero, the man who began the "destined" European conquest of the Americas.  And so this bumbling loser who rejected the correct consensus value for the circumference of the Earth, stumbled onto the West Indies by sheer luck, went to his grave believing he'd reached Japan, and had his accidental discovery overlooked for decades thereafter ended up being recast as a prophet who "proved the world was round" (something every educated or well-travelled person had already known since antiquity).
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#52 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,822 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:22 PM

View Postbobdylanite, on Jan 16 2007, 10:36 PM, said:

:D  :ninjapooh:  :love:
I just found out what you were talking about!

Oops! I was just going to test that one. It really shouldn't have gone up for another 18 hours or so -- if at all. Oh well, if there are no protests, I'll just leave it up -- but it was just another "quick and dirty" filler, in case no one submitted one (I didn't want to disappoint our many Pooh fans). The floor is still absolutely open for a *real* banner.

Archiving:logo4_aamilne.gif

#53 Rhys

Rhys

... a learning experience.

• Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:32 PM

View PostOrpheus, on Jan 16 2007, 11:22 PM, said:

The floor is still absolutely open for a *real* banner.

You mean, one with the Earnest H. Shepard versions of the characters?  :ninjapooh:

Seriously, though, it's great!

Rhys
"It's easy to bond over hating something together - The Internet is total proof of that." Cyd/Codex, The Guild

Change the world!  No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

#54 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,211 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:32 PM

So what our saying Christopher is that it's all smoke and mirrors?

D.Rabbits now proceeds to storm the banner thread her big feet sounding like thunder.
In a quiet hurt voice she can be heard to say.
"Well, where is Rabbit?"
Can't Rabbit be sailing the boat and Piglet be sitting on the I?
We are just as important characters as Tigger and Eeore.
Kanga and Roo where mostly bit actors, but not the bunny and the pig.

#55 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,822 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:53 PM

View PostD.Rabbit, on Jan 16 2007, 11:32 PM, said:

D.Rabbits now proceeds to storm the banner thread her big feet sounding like thunder.
In a quiet hurt voice she can be heard to say.
"Well, where is Rabbit?"
Can't Rabbit be sailing the boat and Piglet be sitting on the I?
We are just as important characters as Tigger and Eeore.
Kanga and Roo where mostly bit actors, but not the bunny and the pig.
"You are oh so very welcome to try."

#56 Duke Jr

Duke Jr
  • Islander
  • 7,027 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:18 AM

Eeyore riding a dolphin! :love:

Cool. I like, I like.
Posted Image Come see the   Beka Writer's Community .  Readers and Writers welcome!!!  Posted Image

#57 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:32 AM

View PostOrpheus, on Jan 16 2007, 08:22 PM, said:

View Postbobdylanite, on Jan 16 2007, 10:36 PM, said:

:D  :ninjapooh:  :love:
I just found out what you were talking about!

Oops! I was just going to test that one. It really shouldn't have gone up for another 18 hours or so -- if at all. Oh well, if there are no protests, I'll just leave it up -- but it was just another "quick and dirty" filler, in case no one submitted one (I didn't want to disappoint our many Pooh fans). The floor is still absolutely open for a *real* banner.

Archiving:logo4_aamilne.gif

I love it! Will you leave it up for a day? Who did the artwork?? It's gorgeous! And is that Piglet peeking out from behind Poo? Best thing I've seen all day. :D

(The artwork on the mushroom cloud was wonderful, too - just not fond of mushroom clouds.)

Edited by Rhea, 17 January 2007 - 12:35 AM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#58 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,211 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:43 AM

Milne.jpg
Okay I did, I found owl too.
Unfortuneately Rabbit is a little sea sick.

#59 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,822 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:18 AM

Rhea: that "poohversion" ("perversion" with a Charlestown accent) was mine. I'll make a point of giving due credit to each banner's creator, but. please, have I no right against self-incrimination? The gorgeous H-Bomb was D.Rabbit's. If you want to see what my pallid attempt looked like, it's spoilered in the first post in this thread.

D. Rabbit: It looks good!

However applying your JPG, above, to the banner would only add an unnecessary generation of JPG artifacts (It's already been de-artifacted twice -- once for James' announcement and once for my Pooh stuff-- and it's beginning to show the wear. The filters canna take it much longer, Cap'n!) If you email me an uncompressed or high res original, I'll apply it to my last composite and filter it.

I hadn't prepared for collaboration. I'd assumed that any other candidate would be an independent composition. In the future I'll save my work as a BMP (or better, a layered format). If nothing else else, I'll almost certainly have to collaborate with myself (serial re-edits) as I did in combining yesterday's banner with today's.  (Sheesh, graphics is complicated. I'll stick with quantum mechanics!)

Edited by Orpheus, 17 January 2007 - 01:28 AM.

#60 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,211 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:26 AM

How's this?
http://www.dconsorti...nners/Milne.jpg

It's 542 by 100 and I can't email a mix file or maybe I can email you a bmp?
I'll try.

Edited by D.Rabbit, 17 January 2007 - 01:32 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users