Scooter Libby Valerie Plame CIA Leak US Vs. Libby 2007

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:29 PM

I thought we could keep an on-going thread for the Libby Trial.  You know update it daily, and discuss it, if anyone is interested.  

Here is the full text of the Indictment

Full Text: U.S. v. Libby Indictment

Here is some of today's goings on... I figured we could wait until after the jury was selected to discuss this case.

MSNBC

Explosive start to Libby trial

By By Caroline Daniel in Washington

The perjury trial of Lewis "Scooter" Libby, former chief of staff to Vice-President Dick Cheney, began explosively on Tuesday as his lawyers argued he was the victim of CIA incompetence and that the White House wanted to scapegoat him in order to protect Karl Rove, the strategist seen as key to keeping the Republican party in office.
Both legal teams used audio and visual props in their opening statements to the jury on how the name of a covert CIA agent, Valerie Plame, was leaked to the press. Patrick Fitzgerald, the special prosecutor, played tapes of Mr Libby's soft-spoken testimony before the grand jury and charged that he had "knowingly and intentionally lied".

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:40 PM

Someone needs to get Bush on record promising not to pardon anyone convicted in the Plame matter, or this is all academic.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#3 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:46 PM

that the White House wanted to scapegoat him in order to protect Karl Rove, the strategist seen as key to keeping the Republican party in office.

Figured he was being sacrificed at the altar, but I thought it would be Chaney.
Can't Touch This!!

#4 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:59 PM

View PostScottEVill, on Jan 23 2007, 01:40 PM, said:

Someone needs to get Bush on record promising not to pardon anyone convicted in the Plame matter, or this is all academic.

I'm not so sure it is all academic Scott.  All testimony becomes public record.  It is one way to at least *know* some of the truth.

Even a pardon by Bush, the conviction is there, in the record.  It also follows all the parties around for the rest of their lives.  

Granted, maybe no one will ever see a jail cell, but that's no reason not to brand them as the criminals they are with a trial.  Or, exonerate them, as the case may be.

Source:

#5 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:11 PM

MSNBC

The first witness
Marc Grossman, the former under secretary of state, was the first person to be called to the witness stand by prosecutors. Grossman is said to have advised Libby on June 12, 2003 that former ambassador Joseph Wilson's wife worked for the CIA and helped arrange for his fact-finding trip to Niger. Defense attorneys have called him "a critical witness for the government."

Grossman according to prosecutors is one of the first officials to tell Libby that Wilson's wife was employed by the CIA and had a role in the Niger trip.

Fitzgerald said Tuesday that Cheney also told Libby about Wilson's wife working at the CIA in early June.

Libby has told FBI investigators and a grand jury that he first learned Plame's identity from NBC Washington Bureau Tim Russert, in a conversation on July 10 or 11, 2003. Russert has testified that Plame never came up in their talk.

Source:

#6 Kosh

Kosh

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:39 PM

^ I saw some about that on the news last night, along with more about Chaney being involved. WOO-HOO!
Can't Touch This!!

#7 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:19 PM

MSNBC

WASHINGTON - Vice President Dick Cheney's former spokeswoman was among witnesses on tap to testify in the CIA leak trial Thursday as prosecutors strove to find more certainty in a case so far memorable for its forgetfulness.

Cathie Martin was expected to testify that in 2003 she told Cheney's chief of staff, I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, that a prominent Bush administration critic was married to a CIA operative.

Martin's memory will be put to the test. Special Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald's first three witnesses told similar stories during the trial's opening days but each conceded a memory problem. One could not actually remember the conversation. Another recalled it differently than when he first spoke to investigators. A third said his memory improved as time went on.

Source:

#8 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 02:08 PM

View PostCait, on Jan 23 2007, 04:59 PM, said:

View PostScottEVill, on Jan 23 2007, 01:40 PM, said:

I'm not so sure it is all academic Scott.  All testimony becomes public record.  It is one way to at least *know* some of the truth.

Right, we can know some of the truth, and "study it," but if there are no consequences because of a pardon, isn't that the definition of academic?  

View PostKosh, on Jan 24 2007, 12:39 PM, said:

^ I saw some about that on the news last night, along with more about Chaney being involved. WOO-HOO!

I've seen quite a bit of speculation that Fitzgerald has Cheney in his sights.

#9 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 02:55 PM

View PostScottEVill, on Jan 25 2007, 11:08 AM, said:

Right, we can know some of the truth, and "study it," but if there are no consequences because of a pardon, isn't that the definition of academic?

LOL< well when you put it like that--yes!  

I really should have elaborated, but when I posted that response I was in a hurry.

I think that if things remain unchanged with the Administration, then it will all be "Academic".  If nothing new comes out, then Libby will be convicted, Bush will pardon him, and we'll have spent a lot of money for a public record of lying under oath and obstruction of justice.

But, I really feel the wheel is turning and this Administration is being thrown under the bus, or will be shortly.  I think a lot of people who were 'covering' inside the Administration will then rush to make deals with Fitz.  Nothing so far, has made a dent in the WH, but this trial could blow that wide open, in perhaps the same way Watergate came unraveled in the end.  

I think this event may be the Administration's undoing.  

That's probably why I'm watching it so closely.  You can seldom trust a politician, but sometimes, just sometimes, you can trust the rule of law.  Of course, maybe I just want to believe that the rule of law still exists in this country, and that's why I'm watching.  Who knows!

Source:

#10 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:57 PM

View PostCait, on Jan 25 2007, 02:55 PM, said:

But, I really feel the wheel is turning and this Administration is being thrown under the bus, or will be shortly.  I think a lot of people who were 'covering' inside the Administration will then rush to make deals with Fitz.  Nothing so far, has made a dent in the WH, but this trial could blow that wide open, in perhaps the same way Watergate came unraveled in the end.  

I think this event may be the Administration's undoing.  

That's probably why I'm watching it so closely.

I agree, that possibility exists, though I'm loathe to say it out loud for fear of jinxing it.  (Oops.)  :unsure: (That's me for ya.)

I think it goes without saying that Libby has been promised a pardon.  Everybody knows it, which is why I'm mystified that no journliast, no pundit, no Democratic elected official -- no one -- has forced Bush to go on the record promising not to pardon him, or, alternatively, refusing to promise not to pardon him.  

I'm still hopeful that will happen as the trial heats up (which is happening pretty quickly now, huh?)

#11 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:13 AM

* ah yep!  It seems to be....

The Washington Post

At length, Martin explained how she, Libby and deputy national security adviser Steve Hadley worked late into the night writing a statement to be issued by George Tenet in 2004 in which the CIA boss would take blame for the bogus claim in Bush's State of the Union address that Iraq was seeking nuclear material in Africa.
After "delicate" talks, Tenet agreed to say the CIA "approved" the claim and "I am responsible" -- but even that disappointed Martin, who had wanted Tenet to say that "we did not express any doubt about Niger."

Source:

#12 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:59 AM

Those f***ers!!!  I suspect that's gonna be the tenor of a lot of these trial-related revelations: we'll find out that what we suspected at the time actually happened--in spades.

#13 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 12:33 PM

Yes, I suspect the same thing.  The question will be--does any of it stick to the Administration, and will any of it rise to the level of High Crimes.  I'd truly like history to be able to paint this guy as he actually was.. and do it sooner, not later.  I do not want to watch him strut around the world after his term in office and act like he was the "decider".  I want him out of sight and shamed by what he did.

Source:

#14 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:12 PM

Newsweek

A Web exclusive
By Michael Isikoff
Newsweek
Updated: 1 hour, 4 minutes ago

Jan. 26, 2007 - White House anxiety is mounting over the prospect that top officials—including deputy chief of staff Karl Rove and counselor Dan Bartlett-may be forced to provide potentially awkward testimony in the perjury and obstruction trial of Lewis (Scooter) Libby.

Both Rove and Bartlett have already received trial subpoenas from Libby’s defense lawyers, according to lawyers close to the case who asked not to be identified talking about sensitive matters. While that is no guarantee they will be called, the odds increased this week after Libby’s lawyer, Ted Wells, laid out a defense resting on the idea that his client, Vice President Dick Cheney’s former chief of staff, had been made a “scapegoat” to protect Rove. Cheney is expected to provide the most crucial testimony to back up Wells’s assertion, one of the lawyers close to the case said. The vice president personally penned an October 2003 note in which he wrote, “Not going to protect one staffer and sacrifice the other.” The note, read aloud in court by Wells, implied that Libby was the one being sacrificed in an effort to clear Rove of any role in leaking the identity of CIA operative Valerie Plame, wife of Iraq war critic Joe Wilson. “Wow, for all the talk about this being a White House that prides itself on loyalty and discipline, you’re not seeing much of it,” the lawyer said.

Source:

#15 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:51 PM

Valerie Plame is a pretty attractive woman, I have to wonder if there's some sort of relationship that went wrong somewhere along the way. :unsure:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#16 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:40 AM

Government's motion IN LIMINE to admit Non-disclosure agreements executed by defendant

This might help to establish a motive for lying or at least one the jury can understand.  It'll be interesting to see if Fitz can get these introduced.  

The link is to a pdf file of the entire motion for those of you who want to read the actual motion.

Source:

#17 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 03:41 PM

http://www.rawstory....scher_0129.html

It is probably the most significant testimony in the case to date. Ari Fleischer testified that he had this lunch with Scooter Libby, passed along the information about Valerie Plame – few days before the conversation with Tim Russert where Libby says he first learned it. Russert, of course, denies that he ever had such a conversation with Libby.
What's significant is the detail that Fleischer provided. He said that Libby told him not just that Wilson's wife worked at the CIA, but that she worked at the counter-proliferations division. That was a particular detail that is significant to people who know about the CIA. The counter-proliferations division is in the Director of Operations. That's the secret arm of the CIA. It's the most sensitive arm of the CIA. Something that Libby and his boss, Vice President Dick Cheney, very well knew. They knew the CIA like the back of their hands.

In addition, Fleischer said, that he believed that Libby provided her name, Valerie Plame. That's a detail we have not heard before. And of course, Fleischer said "hush, hush," "the QT" and Fleischer took it to be newsworthy – something that people would want to know.

Source:

#18 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:08 PM

MSNBC

Miller to testify

Libby’s conversations with reporters are about to become the focus of the case. Fitzgerald said former New York Times reporter Judith Miller would follow Addington on the witness stand.
It would be the first time the former New York Times reporter has testified publicly against the man she went to jail to protect as a source.

Miller spent 85 days in jail for refusing to cooperate with Fitzgerald’s investigating and reveal her conversations with Libby. She retired from the Times in November 2005, declaring that she had to leave because she had “become the news.”

Prosecutors say Libby discussed Plame with Miller three times. Two of those conversations occurred before Libby says he first remembered learning Plame’s identity from Russert.

You know what, it just occurred to me... Why would a Government Official, at Libby's level, sit down with a NYTimes journalist THREE times to discuss Plame or anything else?  

And if, as Libby claims, he heard about Plame from Russert, and talking to Miller was all so innocent, why not step forward when Miller was jailed for contempt?  I mean Libby let her stew in jail for 85 days!  If he didn't do anything wrong, why not step forward?

These and other interesting questions will probably never be answered, but it still makes a person go "humm".

Source:

#19 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:19 PM

Cait--Thanks for keeping us updated on this.  Very much appreciated.

#20 Kosh

Kosh

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:21 PM

Joy
Can't Touch This!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Scooter Libby, Valerie Plame, CIA Leak, US Vs. Libby, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users