• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#21 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:19 PM

So is Ron Rifkin gonna play Scooter in the inevitable TV movie?
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#22 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:23 PM

Co-starring Barry Corbin as Dick Cheney, of course. . .

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#23 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 03:39 PM

http://www.firedoglake.com/

This is a pretty good live-blog of the trial.  It's quicker than news actually, although it is not a transcript, so check other sources too.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#24 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:02 AM

The thing that really irks my tail is these people didn't give a frap about fellow Americans and their safety.

This is treasonous.

If any one of us did this...we would be charged with treason.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#25 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:34 PM

MSNBC

Russert testifies in Libby perjury trial
Packed court hears NBC newsman deny identifying CIA operative
WASHINGTON - NBC newsman Tim Russert, who drew the biggest audience of Washington's hottest new courtroom reality drama Wednesday when he took the stand, testified against former White House aide I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby on a key part of his defense.

The host of "Meet the Press" was to be the final government witness in a trial that for three weeks has provided a rare glimpse into the Bush administration and occasionally offered entertainment and gossip for news and political junkies.

Speaking before a packed courtroom, Russert said he never discussed a CIA operative during a July 2003 phone conversation with Libby. Libby has testified that, at the end of the call, Russert brought up war critic Joseph Wilson and mentioned that Wilson's wife worked for the CIA.

Edited by Cait, 07 February 2007 - 08:35 PM.

Source:

#26 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 04:20 PM

MSNBC

Russert done; government rests in Libby case
Defense expected to called additional journalists to bolster its case
WASHINGTON - NBC's Tim Russert deflected criticism of his ethics and credibility as the prosecution rested its case Thursday in the trial of former White House aide I. Lewis "Scooter Libby.

The network journalist got the kind of interrogation he usually gives on his Sunday television show "Meet the Press," as attorneys flashed excerpts of his previous statements on a video monitor and asked him to explain inconsistencies.

Russert, who testified that he never discussed outed CIA operative Valerie Plame with Libby, was the final witness called by Special Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald.

Source:

#27 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:07 PM

And the Defense begins its case.

MSNBC

Woodward, Novak testify in Libby perjury trial
Defense attorneys cast Libby as White House scapegoat
WASHINGTON - Some of the nation's best-known journalists testified Monday about news leaks in the Bush administration as attorneys for I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby tried to cast the former White House aide as a scapegoat in the CIA case.

Libby, the former chief of staff to Vice President Dick Cheney, is accused of lying and obstructing the investigation into the 2003 leak of CIA operative Valerie Plame's identity.

Using reporters as their first batch of witnesses, Libby's attorneys tried to show that the administration was leaking from several sources. And when Libby had the opportunity to leak himself, they said, he did not.

Source:

#28 semifluff

semifluff
  • Dead account
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:52 PM

If Mr. Clinton could rape an intern and get away with it, I think we can put up with a little white lie here.

#29 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:17 AM

View Postsemifluff, on Feb 12 2007, 11:52 PM, said:

If Mr. Clinton could rape an intern and get away with it, I think we can put up with a little white lie here.

Where do you get Rape. Even Monica never claimed Rape.
Can't Touch This!!

#30 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

Water's wet; sky's blue; and Satan Clause is out there.

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:43 AM

Even consentual sex between a boss and an employee (as Bill and Monica were engaged such a professional relationship) is, in some states, referred to as "rape under the color of authority."  As much as it may have been consentual, it was immoral and unethical given the nature of the working relationship.

Rose: [disgusted] Oh, look at what the cat dragged in: "The Oncoming Storm."

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

Sometimes the best causes worth fighting for are lost causes. -- Me.

Formerly Known as "Lost Cause."

#31 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:55 AM

"As much as it may have been consensual?"  LC, you're not willing to wholly and unequivocally admit that both people involved in this gave their consent?  C'mon.

As far as immoral and unethical -- That's as may be, but more than that, it was none of our frakking business.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#32 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:57 AM

View PostLost Cause, on Feb 13 2007, 11:43 AM, said:

Even consentual sex between a boss and an employee (as Bill and Monica were engaged such a professional relationship) is, in some states, referred to as "rape under the color of authority."  As much as it may have been consentual, it was immoral and unethical given the nature of the working relationship.

Had Monica screamed Rape, then it would have been a different matter, but no one, not even Clinton's worst enemies ever called it rape.
Can't Touch This!!

#33 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:30 PM

Not all lies are equal, and to make the claim that they are is nonsense.  Lying about a blow job and lying to go to war are two different things.  I'll still take the moral high road on that one.  No one died because Clinton lied about a blow job.  Bush cannot say the same thing.  

And you can all split the hair that Clinton was under oath and Bush never was, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the POTUS shouldn't be lying to us under any circumstances, especialy when young men and women's lives are at stake.

[Note: There was no rape, although I do agree there was a power dynamic there that skewed consent, but not enough to make it a crime IMHO.]

Now back to Libby...

MSNBC

Russert may testify again in Libby perjury trial
Return of NBC newsman could extend the case
WASHINGTON - NBC newsman Tim Russert's credibility came under fire in the CIA leak trial Wednesday, and he may be called back to the witness stand.

Russert, who testified last week, is a key witness in the perjury and obstruction case against former vice presidential aide I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby. Attorneys for Libby asked a judge to let them show jurors three video clips that seem to contradict some of Russert's testimony.

If Russert is called back, that could extend the trial. Defense attorneys had planned to rest their case Wednesday.

Source:

#34 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

Water's wet; sky's blue; and Satan Clause is out there.

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:47 PM

View PostCait, on Feb 14 2007, 03:30 PM, said:

Not all lies are equal, and to make the claim that they are is nonsense. Lying about a blow job and lying to go to war are two different things. I'll still take the moral high road on that one. No one died because Clinton lied about a blow job. Bush cannot say the same thing.

And you can all split the hair that Clinton was under oath and Bush never was, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the POTUS shouldn't be lying to us under any circumstances, especialy when young men and women's lives are at stake.
But you've just nullified your own argument Cait.  Clinton was the Pres. and he lied, not only to a grand jury, but to the face of the American people.  While you may not believe that all lies are equal, lying under oath, no matter the circumstances, is still perjury.  It doesn't matter if it regards an intern "servicing" her boss or if it's me testifying that I saw John Doe kill Jane Ditz when he didn't.  Perjury is perjury.  "A liar by any other name is still a skunk," to maul Shakespeare.

Rose: [disgusted] Oh, look at what the cat dragged in: "The Oncoming Storm."

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

Sometimes the best causes worth fighting for are lost causes. -- Me.

Formerly Known as "Lost Cause."

#35 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:55 AM

MSNBC

Jury in Libby CIA leak case reaches verdict
Decision set to be announced around noon ET

Edited by Cait, 06 March 2007 - 12:01 PM.

Source:

#36 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:59 AM

View PostLost Cause, on Feb 14 2007, 01:47 PM, said:

Not all lies are equal, and to make the claim that they are is nonsense. Lying about a blow job and lying to go to war are two different things. I'll still take the moral high road on that one. No one died because Clinton lied about a blow job. Bush cannot say the same thing.

But you've just nullified your own argument Cait.  Clinton was the Pres. and he lied, not only to a grand jury, but to the face of the American people.  While you may not believe that all lies are equal, lying under oath, no matter the circumstances, is still perjury.  It doesn't matter if it regards an intern "servicing" her boss or if it's me testifying that I saw John Doe kill Jane Ditz when he didn't.  Perjury is perjury.  "A liar by any other name is still a skunk," to maul Shakespeare.

Oops I just saw this.  I agree.  A lie is a lie.  I never said Clinton didn't lie under oath.  What I said is that what Clinton did didn't get anyone killed.  I'm sorry, a lie to protect your own ass, while reprehensible morally, isn't the same kind of outrage as a lie that takes citizens to war to die and be maimed.  And more to the point, if Clinton was impeached for his lie, why should Bush be allowed to serve in office when his lie has killed people?

Source:

#37 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:10 PM

Libby found guilty on four of five charges in CIA leak case.

Source:

#38 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:22 PM

So what's likely to happen to him now? (other than the inevitable pardon Bush will give him when he leaves office)

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#39 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:24 PM

Guilty guilty guilty guilty!  :)  :)  :)

Libby verdict

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#40 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:27 PM

View PostLost Cause, on Feb 14 2007, 04:47 PM, said:

But it's Bill and any lie he makes is a good one. No the rain falling on you is yellow because it's  liquid sunshine... Oh wait it's Hilary's turn at the office. My bad.

No if Monica had cried rape. Then we would hear about her being a loose woman and how she made herslef  avilable and Bill was in a moment of extreme weakness. Or some other excuse to pass the blame off onto anyone. Didn't anyone learn anything about the CLinton's.

Lie and keep Lying till the lie becomes the truth. And we can look forward to the possiblity of at least four more years from that from the Sen. from New York. If she gets her way.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Scooter Libby, Valerie Plame, CIA Leak, US Vs. Libby, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users