#1 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 02:22 PM

Kerry won't run for president in '08
By Rick Klein, Globe Staff  |  January 24, 2007

WASHINGTON --Senator John F. Kerry plans to announce today that he will not run in the 2008 presidential race, and will instead remain in Congress and seek reelection to his Senate seat next year, according to senior Democratic officials.

Kerry, a Massachusetts Democrat, plans to say he will remain in the Senate to recommit himself to efforts to extricate the United States from the war in Iraq. His decision to stay out of the presidential race reflects a realization that he would have had an uphill climb in capturing the Democratic nomination, given the other party heavyweights who are already in the race, according to the officials, who spoke to the Globe on condition of anonymity.

Kerry plans to make his plans known with a speech on the Senate floor this afternoon, and is taping a message to e-mail his supporters to explain his decision.

Kerry, the party's 2004 presidential nominee, has been acting like a 2008 candidate virtually since he lost to President Bush -- traveling the country, spreading money to other Democratic candidates, and keeping in place a campaign infrastructure that was ready for another presidential bid.
One word:good.

Edited by ScottEVill, 24 January 2007 - 02:22 PM.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#2 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 02:27 PM

Who among us doesn't like John Kerry not running?
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#3 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 02:33 PM

"Who among us," indeed.  :)

Sadly, he plans to seek reelection to the Senate next year (and of course, he'll win).  If he retired, Barney Frank would most likely seek--and win--his seat, which would give us our first out gay Senator.  (Note emphasis on word "out.")

#4 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 03:35 PM

Nooooo!  Nooooo!   Kerry's not running?!?   Noooo!  I hate that, I hate that!  He's such a charismatic, well-spoken, broadly-appealing firebrand of new life and new ideas!  His speeches are so crowd-stirring and exciting that you can't help but be swept up in them, regardless of your political persuasion, and his likeability factor is through the roof!  That he's not going to run is a travesty, a tragedy, a damn shame and a certain sign that there is no goddddd!

Oh, wait... I was thinking of Obama.

Kerry's the "Lurch" guy who couldn't even manage to unseat Blinky McMumblef**k or whoever, that really bad president who should, by all rights, have been soundly defeated by a turnip with a smiley-face drawn on it.  Yeah, that was Kerry.  Oh, yeah, well, I'm not surprised he's not running, I'm surprised he was even thinking about it.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#5 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:06 PM

Well Kerry must be back in contact with those Forigen leaders who said they would supporthim being president and they told him they were now thinking differently about him being President. I guess Hilary paid them off... Oh advised them on buying certain specific cattle futures and which healthcare companies to buy into.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#6 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:23 PM

View PostG1223, on Jan 24 2007, 04:06 PM, said:

Well Kerry must be back in contact with those Forigen leaders who said they would supporthim being president

I agree that Kerry never should've said that -- but the right wing attack machine made him out to be a liar over it, as though Bush's peers around the world just adore him and were rooting for a second term, which is nonsense.  I have no doubt whatsoever that various major world leaders privately expressed their hope that the Democratic nominee would unseat George W Bush so American foreign policy could regain some sense of sanity.  

And that was Kerry's mistake: making public private remarks when he was unwilling (rightly) to name names.  But he wasn't lying.

#7 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:27 PM

View PostScottEVill, on Jan 24 2007, 09:23 PM, said:

And that was Kerry's mistake....

Well....that and being born without a spine. *sigh*

Oh well, we got some GREAT Dems running in 08 and I am glad he decided not to embarrass himself (and every registered democrat) again.

enTranced
Posted Image

#8 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:33 PM

Unlike a lot of people, I genuinely like Kerry and think he would have made a really good president.  And he's actually got a much better résumé than any of the Democrats currently running in '08.  But I think he made the right call.  He's still damaged goods from 2004, and isn't a very good campaigner.  And you can't govern if you can't make it into office.  So good for him for putting his ego in check and stepping aside.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#9 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:38 PM

View PostMuseZack, on Jan 24 2007, 03:33 PM, said:

Unlike a lot of people, I genuinely like Kerry and think he would have made a really good president.  And he's actually got a much better résumé than any of the Democrats currently running in '08.  But I think he made the right call.  He's still damaged goods from 2004, and isn't a very good campaigner.  And you can't govern if you can't make it into office.  So good for him for putting his ego in check and stepping aside.

I agree with Zack.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#10 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:42 PM

What Zack said, except that I think Richardson's resume is actually more impressive than Kerry's--and I think saying Kerry "isn't a very good campaigner" is an understatement. :) In fairness, though, half the country was still on the fence about Bush at that time and decided to vote for Mr. Resolute as opposed to Mr. Flip-flopper. Gotta give the GOP props for successfully branding their candidate with a positive and his opponent with a negative buzzword.

But Kerry never mastered the sound bite. He meanders and usually ends up in deep doo-doo as a result. I wonder sometimes which of our more revered past presidents would have been unelectable today because of that.

But he did the right thing to step aside. The current Democratic field is as strong as it's ever been, and the only addition I'd like to see at this point is Al Gore, but I doubt he'll run again.

Edited by Spectacles, 24 January 2007 - 04:43 PM.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#11 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:44 PM

and isn't a very good campaigner.

You have a talant for understatement!

Nice new Avatar!
Can't Touch This!!

#12 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:52 PM

as though Bush's peers around the world just adore him and were rooting for a second term, which is nonsense.
Well... it's not entirely.   ;)   The Russians were rooting for Bush to win ('cuz they're working on this ) and knew Bush would be dumb enough to make things easy for them.

"The Democrats would have criticized Russia much more severely for rolling back reforms, for cracking down on freedom of speech, for Khodorkovsky and for Chechnya."

Russian papers celebrated Bush's re-election with the headline, "America Didn't Drop The Fool."

Then, there was also this ringing endorsement from some terrorist leaders:

The statement tells American voters that Abu Hafs al-Masri supports the re-election campaign of President Bush: "We are very keen that Bush does not lose the upcoming elections."

The statement said Abu Hafs al-Masri needs what it called Bush's "idiocy and religious fanaticism" because they would "wake up" the Islamic world.

I think the leaders of countries who were friendly to America supported Kerry, though...

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#13 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 05:53 PM

View PostScottEVill, on Jan 24 2007, 04:23 PM, said:

View PostG1223, on Jan 24 2007, 04:06 PM, said:

Well Kerry must be back in contact with those Forigen leaders who said they would supporthim being president

I agree that Kerry never should've said that -- but the right wing attack machine made him out to be a liar over it, as though Bush's peers around the world just adore him and were rooting for a second term, which is nonsense.  I have no doubt whatsoever that various major world leaders privately expressed their hope that the Democratic nominee would unseat George W Bush so American foreign policy could regain some sense of sanity.  

And that was Kerry's mistake: making public private remarks when he was unwilling (rightly) to name names.  But he wasn't lying.

No it was making those statements and leaving us with the clear idea that those leaders were France and Germany. Two countries who were making a great deal off the Cash for Oil program. And maybe helping him rearm.

Got to love how we are suppose to consider these two countries our allies. France broke away in the 60's and Germany has been their political partner ever since 90's at least. It is agreed we have things we wrok toghere on but they are not an Ally.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#14 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 05:54 PM

Thank God. What a mess if he had muddied the waters.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#15 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 06:26 PM

View PostG1223, on Jan 24 2007, 10:53 PM, said:

Got to love how we are suppose to consider these two countries our allies. France broke away in the 60's and Germany has been their political partner ever since 90's at least. It is agreed we have things we wrok toghere on but they are not an Ally.

That's just pure distilled silliness.  The US sometimes has policy disagreements with France and Germany-- just as we do with all of our allies, including Britain, Canada, and Australia.  

France and Germany supported the mission in Bosnia and Kosovo, and sent troops accordingly.  France sent combat troops to the first Gulf War, and both nations have shed blood in Afghanistan fighting alongside American troops as well.  Just in the past month, the US has been conducting missions in Somalia from a French airbase in Djibouti.  Ally doesn't mean "do what we say 100 percent of the time."  If anything, France was being a good ally in trying to keep us out of the second Iraq war.  Go read the speeches from late 2002 and early 2003.  In light of subsequent events, Dominique de Villepin comes across as a lot more prescient and wise than Tony Blair or George W. Bush.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#16 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 06:42 PM

^ What Zack said x 100!!!

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election 2008, John Kerry, Won't run

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users