243 replies to this topic

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 03:49 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16787363/

“Any trend to produce programs and products -- including animated films and video games -- which in the name of entertainment exalt violence and portray anti-social behavior or the trivialization of human sexuality is a perversion,” he said. He said this was “all the more repulsive” when programs were directed at children and adolescents.

I agree with the pope that children are being traumatized by evil video games. I would ask him to join in with me in making it easier to buy and sell used video games. That way, if a video game is inappropriately sexual around a child, it can easily be sold to a child in another parish.

Who's with me?
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:16 PM

I dunno... I'm kinda holding out for Grand Theft Auto: Vatican City, so I can jack that pontiff for his Pope Mobile, rename myself "John Paul XXX," and go on a rampage of destruction and debauchery!

I'm also waiting for a Passion of the Christ game to come out for the Nintendo Wii...

Cheers,

Zwolf (if I'm goin' to Hell I'm gonna at least make sure I get preferred seating)
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#3 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:23 PM

*reads Rov's post*

Can somebody send the Pope his Tomb Raider hint book? Somebody is getting craaaankyyyyy....  :ninja:

enTranced
Posted Image

#4 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:28 PM

View PostZwolf, on Jan 24 2007, 04:16 PM, said:

I dunno... I'm kinda holding out for Grand Theft Auto: Vatican City, so I can jack that pontiff for his Pope Mobile, rename myself "John Paul XXX," and go on a rampage of destruction and debauchery!

I would SO buy that game.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#5 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,147 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:47 PM

I've made my anti vatican feeling very well known, so I'll only say "What Rov Said".
Can't Touch This!!

#6 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 05:39 PM

I protest this depiction of videogames. we all know that it's tabletop RPGs like Dungeons and Dragons that are the repulsive perversions. We don't spend all our time summoning demons and sacrificing virgins to be overshadowed by pixels thank you very much.

I'm going to file a complaint just as soon as I figure out who to complain to.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#7 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 05:42 PM

Can somebody send the Pope his Tomb Raider hint book? Somebody is getting craaaankyyyyy....

:lol: Yep!

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#8 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 05:46 PM

I agree with the Pope. No sarcasm intended.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#9 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 06:22 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on Jan 24 2007, 10:42 PM, said:

Can somebody send the Pope his Tomb Raider hint book? Somebody is getting craaaankyyyyy....

:lol: Yep!

Sparky

Poor guy, all he wants is the "nude raider" patch.  :blush:

QT : There was sex and violence long before videogames were invented and Gode brings up a good point, back before videogames got high tech enough the Pope was telling me I was going to hell because I liked to roll dice of unusal shapes and liked beating up on goblens.

Before then I was going to hell because I liked that demon rock music and read Batman comics.

Before that I was going to hell because I read Robert Heinlein.

Today I guess I'm going to hell because I STILL listen to that demon rock music (I try to stop but Trent Reznor keeps putting out new music :cry:) and i'm registered in the Democratic Party and think everybody should be given a fair shake no matter who they sleep with. :blush:

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 24 January 2007 - 06:23 PM.

Posted Image

#10 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 06:33 PM

Hm.

I condemn the Catholic Church protecting pedophile priests all these years. Who ELSE are they protecting?  :sarcasm:

I wasn't going to post, but this topic pissed me off.  :glare:

Parents...

DO. YOUR. JOB. DON'T BUY VIOLENT GAMES FOR YOUR KID, NO MATTER HOW MUCH HE SCREAMS THAT BILLY NEXT DOOR HAS ONE.

Ugh. I think the Pope's got that pointy hat on too tight. :p

:rolleyes:

Edited by Digital Man, 24 January 2007 - 06:34 PM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#11 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 06:41 PM

Hah-I HAVE to add this thought. I just LUUUUUUUUUVE the irony...

The Catholic Church was hiding pedophile priests for who knows HOW long (and there are probably are other pedo-priests we don't know about still around kids), and the Pope suddenly is CONCERNED about the welfare of children. :barf:

Excuse me while I puke. The hypocricy just makes me ill.  :crazy:

:angry:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#12 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 06:46 PM

^ Uh...I don't agree with him on this issue about vid games, but I think he is genuinely concerned about the welfare of children, and honestly - the sordid history of part of the Catholic church does not change the fact that he is here in the PRESENT and can always work to set things right- and NOT allow things to go on like they were before. If that makes sense.

Mocking someone for making a genuine effort to change the bad things - that is more hypocritical than him trying to do what he believes in. imo.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#13 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 06:50 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on Jan 24 2007, 06:46 PM, said:

^ Uh...I don't agree with him on this issue about vid games, but I think he is genuinely concerned about the welfare of children, and honestly - the sordid history of part of the Catholic church does not change the fact that he is here in the PRESENT and can always work to set things right- and NOT allow things to go on like they were before. If that makes sense.

Mocking someone for making a genuine effort to change the bad things - that is more hypocritical than him trying to do what he believes in. imo.

Sparky

I'm standing my ground on this one-even if it means I'm the only one in the corner. Unlike the Catholic Church-I'm not trying to hide pedophile priests.

So-you and I will just have to agree to disagree Sparky. That's how strongly I feel about this. And I speak as someone who used to be a practicing Catholic. I may also be sensitive to this issue having been physically abused by a teacher in a Catholic school when I was a child.

:angry:

Edited by Digital Man, 24 January 2007 - 06:51 PM.

Posted Image

#14 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:41 PM

QT : There was sex and violence long before videogames were invented and Gode brings up a good point, back before videogames got high tech enough the Pope was telling me I was going to hell because I liked to roll dice of unusal shapes and liked beating up on goblens.
I don't remember the Catholic Church ever commenting on D&D, admittedly it was a little before my time when thier was that flap, but I don't remember Catholics at any official level getting in on it.

read Batman comics.

I really want to hear where this one came from because I just find this too extraordinary to believe.

Before that I was going to hell because I read Robert Heinlein.

Let me guess Stranger in a Strange Land?
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#15 Nayto

Nayto

Professional zombie

• Islander
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:40 AM

View PostGodeskian, on Jan 24 2007, 05:39 PM, said:

I protest this depiction of videogames. we all know that it's tabletop RPGs like Dungeons and Dragons that are the repulsive perversions. We don't spend all our time summoning demons and sacrificing virgins to be overshadowed by pixels thank you very much.

I'm going to file a complaint just as soon as I figure out who to complain to.

Hey! I do that all the time, and I haven't even played more than fifteen minutes of a tabletop D&D game.

View PostQueenTiye, on Jan 24 2007, 05:46 PM, said:

QT

I wholeheartedly disagree with you. There is no sarcasm intended on my part, either.

View PostDigital Man, on Jan 24 2007, 06:33 PM, said:

Hm.

I condemn the Catholic Church protecting pedophile priests all these years. Who ELSE are they protecting?  :sarcasm:

I wasn't going to post, but this topic pissed me off.  :glare:

Parents...

DO. YOUR. JOB. DON'T BUY VIOLENT GAMES FOR YOUR KID, NO MATTER HOW MUCH HE SCREAMS THAT BILLY NEXT DOOR HAS ONE.

Ugh. I think the Pope's got that pointy hat on too tight. :p

:rolleyes:

I wholeheartedly agree with your notation of bad parenting.

On a side note, I can't wait to play the video game adaption of Kill Bunny.
Posted Image

Image copywrite @ Amanda Carney

#16 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:49 AM

QT

That makes two of us.  We demand that parents try to raise their families to be less violent. Please explain why a ten year old needs a game where the goal is to make the most money by killing police officers and or shaking down hookers.

You want to try explain why it is wrong for the Pope to point out that the crap we are filling our kids heads with or worse allow those kids pick these games out for themselves?

I am a RPGer. I have played adult themed campaigns.  I would not ever play that sort of game with a kid under 15. Yet I see these kids wanting to play Gear of War or GTA. If you cannot see where the Pope has said something of merit in this case. Please stop crying about the kid who has learned that killing your rival is the way to deal with others. And if that cop gets too close it is OK to kill him.

That seems to be what you are wanting here.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#17 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:57 AM

Please explain why a ten year old needs a game where the goal is to make the most money by killing police officers and or shaking down hookers.

They don't. Those games are also marketed to adults (with a very clear "MATURE" label on their boxes). If a child has access to them, that's the fault of the parents.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#18 Nayto

Nayto

Professional zombie

• Islander
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:07 AM

View PostG1223, on Jan 25 2007, 12:49 AM, said:

QT

That makes two of us.  We demand that parents try to raise their families to be less violent. Please explain why a ten year old needs a game where the goal is to make the most money by killing police officers and or shaking down hookers.

You want to try explain why it is wrong for the Pope to point out that the crap we are filling our kids heads with or worse allow those kids pick these games out for themselves?

I am a RPGer. I have played adult themed campaigns.  I would not ever play that sort of game with a kid under 15. Yet I see these kids wanting to play Gear of War or GTA. If you cannot see where the Pope has said something of merit in this case. Please stop crying about the kid who has learned that killing your rival is the way to deal with others. And if that cop gets too close it is OK to kill him.

That seems to be what you are wanting here.

No, what I personally want to hear is parents actually taking responsibility (for once).

Seriously parents, if you don't want you child playing a "MATURE" (M.A.T.U.R.E. What does it spell? Yoooouuuu got it! Mature content!) video game, then don't buy the child the g*dd*mn game. It just shows how idiotic people can be, as they pit the blame upon others rather than even take even an ounce of it themselves.

I'm tired of this topic. . . it's gone on for far too many years.

Regardless, I disagree with you from the very depths of my soul. I disagree with you so much, that I'm not even attempting to make myself look intelligent in my response to you. Now that is some hardcore disagreement.

View PostJosh, on Jan 25 2007, 12:57 AM, said:

Please explain why a ten year old needs a game where the goal is to make the most money by killing police officers and or shaking down hookers.

They don't. Those games are also marketed to adults (with a very clear "MATURE" label on their boxes). If a child has access to them, that's the fault of the parents.

Quoted for[explicit content deleted] truth.

Edited by Nayto, 25 January 2007 - 01:08 AM.

Posted Image

Image copywrite @ Amanda Carney

#19 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:53 AM

It's nice that the pointy hatted one is speaking out against human nature, but that has often been their way.
As for human sexuality as a perversion it would appear to me that the RCC is the institution that invented and promoted it.

Why can't he just be quiet like the pope in charge during WW2?
7 verses I know you're there behind the veil.

#20 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 02:59 AM

Ah yeah those GTA ads that played on TV during the late afternoon. And on the WB. Shiney those are for adults guess the kids watching are suppose to know that fact. Got to love marketing.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Religion, Catholicism, Pope Benedict, Condemns Video games, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users