#1 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 01:55 PM

NY Post

By Ian Bishop, Post Correspondent

Davenport, Iowa--Hillary Rhodam Clinton left caucus-goers here esterday believing that Bubba had given her a baptism by fire in how to deal with "evil and bad men."

Clinton's quip, made during a morning rally with about 500 Iowans, drew 31 seconds of straight laughter and applause that left little doubt among attendees that she'd made a joke at hubby Bill Clinton's expense.

The one-liner came in response to a question shouted at the former first lady from the audience asking whether she had the mettle and experience to deal with evil and rotten men -- like terrorist Osama bin Laden and the tyrants of North Korea and Iran.

Clinton grabbed the mike and told the audience that the questioner wanted to know "what in my background equips me to deal with evil and bad men."  She then smiked, raised her eyebrows and nodded knowingly at the questioner.

Her nod and the ensuing eruption of laughter had rally-goers convinced she was talking about her husband, whose Oval Office affair with intern Monica Lewinsky exploded into the Sexgate scandal and led to impeaachment proceedings.

God, she's smart.  She is so smart.  

The flap over her quip overshadowed her slap at President Bush's war policy.

"This was [Bush's]decision to go to war with an ill-conceived plan and an incompetently executed strategy," she said, adding, "We expect him to extricate our country from this before he leaves office."

Clinton said it would be "the height of irresponsibility" to pass along the war to the next commander-in-chief.

The White House condemned her comments as a partisan attack that undermines U.S. troops.

On the race to succeed Bush, Clinton joked that the kickoff caucus is "the only thing I'll do in politics that Bill has not done" - because he bowed out of Iowa in 1992 for fear of favorite-son Sen. Tom Harkin, who won the caucus but fizzled out afterward.

Coming across as likeable - and electable - goes a long way in Iowa for Clinton, who, despite being the front-runner in national Democratic polls, trails rivals John Edwards and Barack Obama in Hawkeye State polls. And Clinton's act over the weekend may be a tough one to follow.

"I'm very impressed. Barack Obama will have to show something above and beyond to surpass what I heard today,"
said Sandra Frericks, a retired financial planner from Bluegrass, Iowa.

BTW, an unrelated funny:  

by Magan Crane Sun Jan 28, 10:37 PM ET

WASHINGTON (AFP) - The White House has stood by President George W. Bush's plan to send more troops to Iraq, despite growing public opposition and a chorus of criticism from lawmakers in Congress.

:lol: I didn't even know that was an option.

Edited by ScottEVill, 29 January 2007 - 02:02 PM.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#2 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 10:54 PM

It's just her way of avoiding to seriously answer the question because she herself does not know.  She is good at running her husband down, and she's even better at taking shots at Bush.  But is no good at giving options or coming up with ideas of her own in how to deal with issues.  She says things like "Bring our troops home now" and then says "We must end this war as soon as possible" right after.  She never states how she thinks we could "Bring our troops home now", or "end this war as soon as possible."  She just says what people want to hear, but offers no substance to go with it.  She speaks with forked tongue.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#3 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 10:59 PM

I think it's pretty clear that she's making a joke about Bill here. If there's another more reasonable interpretation, I'd love to hear it.

By the same token, Hillary is in a no-win situation. After a decade of being criticized for being frosty, she cracks a pretty funny joke and gets burned for it.

It's 2006, and I'm already feeling obligated to defend Hillary Clinton. It's going to be a long two years...
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#4 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 11:10 PM

View PostJuris Rovvius, on Jan 29 2007, 10:59 PM, said:

It's 2006, and I'm already feeling obligated to defend Hillary Clinton. It's going to be a long two years...

It's actually 2007 now.  :whistle:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#5 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 11:15 PM

View PostJuris Rovvius, on Jan 29 2007, 07:59 PM, said:

I think it's pretty clear that she's making a joke about Bill here. If there's another more reasonable interpretation, I'd love to hear it.

I know she was making a joke.  But it was also evading to answer a question.  When asked to answer it seriously, she got upset and still would not answer it.  It's not in her nature to be "funny".

By the same token, Hillary is in a no-win situation. After a decade of being criticized for being frosty, she cracks a pretty funny joke and gets burned for it.
Frosty?  More like ice queen.  Pelosi has more warmth in her pinky finger than Hillary has in her entire body.  I guess she burned for her joke because it was at her own husband's expense.  That wasn't very nice, and no good wife would do that to her husband, at least I hope not.  Yes, I know, what Mr. Clinton did wasn't good either, but it still doesn't make it right.  Clinton was and is hardly and evil or bad man.  And to compare him to the level of Bin Laden "evil" is kind of mean.

I thought it was 1997? :p

I don't feel obligated to defend her, why should you?  She put herself in her current position.  No one made her run for President.  She knows what she is getting into.  She's going to get grilled, and she had better know it.  It's what politicians do best.  She's one of them.  She grills Bush every chance she gets.  She's a tough woman, probably tougher than some, if not most men.  We'll see how things play out.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#6 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 11:16 PM

View PostDWF, on Jan 29 2007, 10:10 PM, said:

View PostJuris Rovvius, on Jan 29 2007, 10:59 PM, said:

It's actually 2007 now.  :whistle:

... this is what law school does to the brain.

In any case, it's going to be a long... let's just count 'today' as February, and the election as happening in October (since it's so early in November). That means we only have... twenty months to go.

:eek4:
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#7 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:58 AM

I know everyone wants to think her joke was about Bill but...

The first person that came to my mind as a possibility of being who she was referencing was Ken Starr

I always considered him 'evil' ish as he may have been appointed to investigate them but he seems to take it with the zeal of a personal grudge....or maybe I just resent the tens of millions spent trying to dig up some dirt, any dirt on both Bill and Hillary.

As to why she didn't want to talk about it later....

Well, she made a joke and people are wanting to literally pick it apart rather than just laugh.  To say that yes, it was about Bill or to name someone like Ken Starr would only tick someone off and cause even more trouble.

So the joke gets more attention and analysis than everything else she said. You know the old saying....danged if you do, danged if you don't

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#8 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 12:38 PM

I don't think she's so smart. The quip about her cheating husband is exactly the kind of thing that people who will argue she can't be taken seriously because she sounds like a catty female will jump on.

I really hope Gore runs or I'm once again going to be left feeling disenfranchised.  :(

Lil
Posted Image

#9 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 12:49 PM

Lil: I don't think she's so smart. The quip about her cheating husband is exactly the kind of thing that people who will argue she can't be taken seriously because she sounds like a catty female will jump on.

Yep. It may have been a pre-emptive attempt to de-fuse a time bomb, but the Clinton marriage is going to be grist for Swiftboaters' mills. Expect more.

And I do think Gore is going to enter the race at some point.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#10 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:01 PM

^ Yeah, unless some Governor surges onto the scene, I think Gore's only real competition would be McCain. I think Obama might make a great President once he has more experience, but right now his resume is way too short for my tastes. McCain has proven that he'll prostitute himself and his positions to curry political favor so I wouldn't vote for him. Also, I'm disinclined to trust a Republican to clean up the festering cesspool that is the Bush White House. Maybe in 2012 I'll consider voting for a Republican President but probably not in 2008.
"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#11 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:11 PM

Speaking of Governors, Bill Richardson is in the race and has an impressive resume--served in Congress, ambassador to the UN, Clinton's Sec. of DOE. He's a longshot because no one knows him despite all of this. But then Clinton was an unknown in 92. Unlike Clinton, Richardson is low key, though. But if voters really scrutinize candidates as they would prospective employees, Richardson's stock will rise. I'm really interested to see how does as a campaigner.

I'm wondering, too, if the intense buyer's remorse from Bush's presidency won't cause voters to be less swayed by campaign glitz and place greater emphasis on what the debates reveal about a candidate's knowledge and competence. We may remember for a while that wanting to have a beer with a candidate ain't a guarantee that he or she will be a good president.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#12 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:29 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Jan 30 2007, 05:49 PM, said:

As a dem who thinks Gore has grown a tremendous amount since 2000 I hope you are right. I would love to see the Gore of An Inconvienent Truth run today.

After all, he already won the Presidency once! :devil:

enTranced
Posted Image

#13 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:29 PM

Spectacles said:

Speaking of Governors, Bill Richardson is in the race and has an impressive resume--served in Congress, ambassador to the UN, Clinton's Sec. of DOE.

Hmm, Gore-Richardson in 2008? I think I'd vote for that ticket -- actually vote for that ticket, as opposed to what I did in 2004, which I regard more as voting against Bush than voting for Kerry.

Edited by Solar Wind, 30 January 2007 - 01:30 PM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:

#14 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:34 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Jan 30 2007, 01:11 PM, said:

But if voters really scrutinize candidates as they would prospective employees, ... .

I'm wondering, too, if the intense buyer's remorse from Bush's presidency won't cause voters to be less swayed by campaign glitz and place greater emphasis on what the debates reveal about a candidate's knowledge and competence. We may remember for a while that wanting to have a beer with a candidate ain't a guarantee that he or she will be a good president.

We can hope... .

FKA:

#15 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:01 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Jan 30 2007, 09:49 AM, said:

Lil: I don't think she's so smart. The quip about her cheating husband is exactly the kind of thing that people who will argue she can't be taken seriously because she sounds like a catty female will jump on.

Yep. It may have been a pre-emptive attempt to de-fuse a time bomb, but the Clinton marriage is going to be grist for Swiftboaters' mills. Expect more.

I hope so.  The democrats sorely need a "cause" to hang their hats on that doesn't automatically divide the country on religious lines.  The environment is an EXCELLENT choice.
Posted Image

#16 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:17 PM

My impression is that is the opposite of the attack on her.  The attack on her is that she's shrill, that she tries to out-male the men.  Isn't that where the whole (insane) "lesbian" thing came from?  

View PostSpectacles, on Jan 30 2007, 12:49 PM, said:

Well, yeah, of course it is -- but no matter who gets nominated, they will get Swift Boated.  We got a preview last week of the attack being honed for Barack "Hussein" Obama (wasn't that a treat?)

I think being able to joke about her marriage diffuses the issue in a very warm, very human way that will rebound to Hillary's benefit because it's a reaction people can understand, and (especially women) can empathize with.  It's akin to "#$*&@ men..."  (a sentiment I, myself, have been known to engage in from time to time...)  :)  

It's also true that people aren't familiar with that side of her (I'd always heard people say she had a "wicked" sense of humor, and assumed it was just a line -- apparently not).  

I like Gore a lot, and tend to think that if he'd gone with his gut in 2000--that is to say, focused on the issues that meant something to him, and been aggressive on the matter of his opponent  -- oh, and not tried to distance himself from Bill -- that history would remember the last 6 years very differently.  

If he gets in, and runs the campaign as he (not DNC focus-group experts) wants, he has a strong chance at getting my vote in the primary--and a strong chance of actually becoming president.  (He'd probably end up with Hillary for Veep--How interesting would *that* be?)

I think he should get into it.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#17 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:07 PM

View PostUna Salus Lillius, on Jan 30 2007, 02:01 PM, said:

View PostSpectacles, on Jan 30 2007, 09:49 AM, said:

I hope so.  The democrats sorely need a "cause" to hang their hats on that doesn't automatically divide the country on religious lines.  The environment is an EXCELLENT choice.
Along with destroying our economy under ridiculously silly international legislation that limits our outputs and leaves the Third World free to pollute to their hearts intent.  I'm all for protecting the environment but I'm not for creating a situation where our businesses just leave overseas and do the same thing there.  That is Al Gore's solution to the environment but then who cares about giving outsourcing a even more massive boost than the Dem and Reps have already.

Edited by CJ AEGIS, 30 January 2007 - 09:08 PM.

"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#18 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:30 PM

I was thinking more in terms of the DNP's need for a cause with grass roots appeal and it seems to me in the wake of "An Inconvenient Truth" that if Gore runs, the DNP will finally have that cause to hang its hat on.
Posted Image

#19 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 10:08 PM

I'm an Edwards girl.

I jus' like him.

I still don't like Hillary's attitude about telling me how to live my life.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#20 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 10:33 PM

In answer to the original query, VERY!!!!!

However, "smart" and "wise" are not the same thing, so I'll have much more studying to do before the primary chez moi.
Cats will never be extinct!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election 2008, Hillary Clinton, 2007, Iowa

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users