Obituaries Molly Ivins 2007 Journalist

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Appreciate

Appreciate
  • Islander
  • 4,651 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:01 PM

I'm bummed to report that columnist Molly Ivins has lost her battle with cancer.  There were so many things that Ivins said just right!  I will really miss her voice. :(

Kath
"Any dolt with half a brain/Can see that humankind has gone insane
To the point where I don't know if I'll upset the status quo
If I throw poison in the water main..."
- Billy (aka Dr. Horrible) in My Eyes from the AWESOME Dr. Horrible's SingAlong Blog

#2 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:13 PM

This is a nice write-up on Molly and her career:

http://www.dfw.com/m...te/16591107.htm

I remember watching that spat between Al Franken and Bill O'Reilly on CSPAN a few years ago. It was some kind of Book Fair thing, and Molly, O'Reilly and Franken were on the panel. Well, things got nasty between Franken and O'Reilly, and Molly tried to be the peacemaker, even standing up for O'Reilly at one point when she thought Franken, her fellow progressive, had misconstrued something O'Reilly said. It was a fine moment of setting aside partisanship for fair play. And my admiration for her, which was already considerable, grew. She must have been a good person as well as a good writer.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#3 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 08:52 PM

*sighs* She will be missed but her contributions will be remembered.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:13 AM

Molly shall be greatly missed with her unique way around a phrase.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#5 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:44 AM

Sorry to see her go.
Can't Touch This!!

#6 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:16 AM

I'm sorry for our loss.  Her voice was unique and special, and will be sorely missed.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Molly Ivins, 2007, Journalist

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users