Is he truly popular in his home state?

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#2 JamesValEson

JamesValEson

Indomitable Cowbell Juggernaut

• Islander
  • 406 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:30 PM

He's not exactly in the news around here. So I'd have to say no, I just think he doesn't like Norm Coleman and wants to oust him.

Barry
Barry, aka James ValEson, Captain of the starship USS Wolf 359, NCC-75820.

(Quotes from the dedication plaque for USS Wolf 359)

"This ship was built to honor those lost to the Borg at Wolf 359,
and made to keep it from happening again."
      - James Val Eson, at the launch of starship Wolf 359, NX-75820.

"Risk...Is our Business..."
     - James T. Kirk

And now some silly quotes from Mythbusters:
"I reject your reality, and substitue my own." Adam

"Quack! Damn you!" Jamie

#3 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 04:48 PM

Al is a funny guy, and should stick to comedy.

From the state that elected Jesse Ventura, anything is possible.
Can't Touch This!!

#4 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:06 PM

I feel about Al Franken the way many liberals feel about Michael Moore.  He's a guy who's ostensibly on my side but whose complete smugness drives me up the wall and makes me want to vote for a Republican just to spite him.   At a book fair panel discussion/debate, his obnoxiousness was such that it actually had the late Molly Ivins (R.I.P.) defending Bill O'Reilly against what she saw as unfair attacks by Franken.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#5 Jazzer

Jazzer

Here I am

• Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:50 PM

My first reaction:  :howling:  
After pondering some more, my second reaction:  :howling:
Unanswered questions aren't nearly as dangerous as unquestioned answers.

#6 JamesValEson

JamesValEson

• Islander
  • 406 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:55 PM

View PostMuseZack, on Feb 1 2007, 04:06 PM, said:

I feel about Al Franken the way many liberals feel about Michael Moore.  He's a guy who's ostensibly on my side but whose complete smugness drives me up the wall and makes me want to vote for a Republican just to spite him.   At a book fair panel discussion/debate, his obnoxiousness was such that it actually had the late Molly Ivins (R.I.P.) defending Bill O'Reilly against what she saw as unfair attacks by Franken.

Holy Wow! I have heard he was a bit of a smear arteest, but that just confirms it for me. I think that will also be what would keep him out of the office, even here in Minneso-Tah!

Funny enough, I remember when he did some skits on Square One, that old kid's math sho( The one that had 'Math Net', Dirk Niblik, and Larry Cedar singing 'Angle Dance') from back in the day when I was a little shaver (Waaayy back in the late 80's- early 90's. Now I await the flak from the older crowd :D  ). At least he wasn't peddeling poitical smears when he was on there.

Barry

- James T. Kirk

"Quack! Damn you!" Jamie

#7 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 07:47 PM

View PostMuseZack, on Feb 1 2007, 05:06 PM, said:

I tend to agree.  He brings out the "get off my side" in me.  Though it could be worse: Randi Rhodes for Senate.

Edited by ScottEVill, 01 February 2007 - 07:47 PM.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#8 Kosh

Kosh

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:12 PM

Of coarse, when Bill Orally told the story, he didn't mention Molly, just that he had had it out with Al and made Al look bad.  A couple of Ratb@$t@rd$ if there ever was any.
Can't Touch This!!

#9 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:24 PM

View PostKosh, on Feb 2 2007, 11:12 AM, said:

Of coarse, when Bill Orally told the story, he didn't mention Molly, just that he had had it out with Al and made Al look bad.  A couple of Ratb@$t@rd$ if there ever was any.

O'Reilly is nothing if not a shameless self-promoter.

As for whether Minnesota would elect Franken? Minnesota is one state where he would have a chance.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#10 JamesValEson

JamesValEson

• Islander
  • 406 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 03:44 PM

View PostDrew, on Feb 2 2007, 11:24 AM, said:

As for whether Minnesota would elect Franken? Minnesota is one state where he would have a chance.

Hey, now! Don't be ribbin' on your neighboors!  :D

In all seriousness, I do have to agree, he would have a chance here, he just has to be shoe-horned into the Dem spot in '08 by the kookie fringer's at the primaries.

- James T. Kirk

"Quack! Damn you!" Jamie

#11 Kosh

Kosh

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 04:41 PM

View PostJamesValEson, on Feb 2 2007, 03:44 PM, said:

In all seriousness, I do have to agree, he would have a chance here, he just has to be shoe-horned into the Dem spot in '08 by the kookie fringer's at the primaries.

If I were Al, I'd be looking for Jesse Ventura's Campaign manager. They really pulled one off, since Jesse wasn't exactly the kind of guy who gets easily elected.
Can't Touch This!!

#12 JamesValEson

JamesValEson

• Islander
  • 406 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 06:09 PM

View PostKosh, on Feb 2 2007, 03:41 PM, said:

View PostJamesValEson, on Feb 2 2007, 03:44 PM, said:

If I were Al, I'd be looking for Jesse Ventura's Campaign manager. They really pulled one off, since Jesse wasn't exactly the kind of guy who gets easily elected.

In Jesse's case, it was as much the 'Name Factor', as it was the 'Why-not-try-something-different Factor'. I don't think Al has either of those in good enough quantities, in fact I think he has quite the opposite going for him, except among other fringe lefters.

Barry

- James T. Kirk

"Quack! Damn you!" Jamie

#13 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 10:25 AM

Well at least Jerry Springer isn't running for office again. :whip:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#14 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 12:19 PM

I actually got the distinct sense that Franken was inebriated during that panel with Ivins and O'Reilly.
O'Reilly was his usual skunky self, but there was something off about Al.
Didn't he admit at some point in time to problems being an angry drunk?

I'm cold Howard.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election 2008, Al Franken, Senate Run, Democrat, Minnesota

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users