59 replies to this topic

#1 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:20 PM

source:  http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17026724/

New York State Sen. Carl Kruger says three pedestrians in his Brooklyn district have been killed since September upon stepping into traffic while distracted by an electronic device.

and tell me, Senator, why aren't the DRIVERS OF CARS paying attention to what the hell's in front of them?  i've heard how people in New York drive....like f-ing maniacs on speed.  maybe these people behind the wheel need to be paying a lot more attention to their surroundings instead of running people, distracted or not, over.  what's next, are you going to ban people from carrying anything at all?  will walking with a friend or lover/spouse/affair of the week be the next target, because the future victims will be "too busy talking"?

and how are you going to enforce this?  waste money hiring cops to do nothing stand there and take away people's Blackberries and iPods and phones?  gimme a break.  :sarcasm:

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#2 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:26 PM

Not only that, but iPods are only a different form of music player.  The "Walkman" and the "Discman" type of players have been out for years and years, and people have been walking with them, headphones on and all as well.  Once again, more control-hungry politicians trying to make the U.S. into the United States of Communism.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#3 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

Water's wet; sky's blue; and Satan Clause is out there.

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:47 PM

This crap sounds like H.S.  

"Now, now, little Jimmy, you can't have that in class on the sidewalk.  We're just gonna have to take it away and call your mother.  Oh, by the way, here's a $12434 fine for the improper use of an electronic device."

Rose: [disgusted] Oh, look at what the cat dragged in: "The Oncoming Storm."

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

Sometimes the best causes worth fighting for are lost causes. -- Me.

Formerly Known as "Lost Cause."

#4 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:21 PM

Welcome to State Nanny example#2. Take a popular day to day item which could cause issues and rather than try to work out a solution have the state come in with a revenue generating concept. I gather they will fine those people they find with Ipods in their ears. Hope it's not a deaf guy who cannot work with the new style of hearing aids.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#5 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:24 PM

Next thing you know, some one else will propose banning sunglasses because they're tinted. :rolleyes:
Posted Image

#6 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:29 PM

That and if folks keep letting them do this you can deal with the anti meat patrol checking out your grocery purchases to make sure you are not getting beef or beef related products. Then stopped by the  Smoke Nazi at the door to make sur eyou did not buy a tobacco product. And in the parking lot have the Eviro Youth make sure your car is a hybrid or a E-car.

Yeah got to love the State Nanny and the folks who will take your freedoms away to make the world to their liking.

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#7 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:37 PM

I'll be surprised if this one actually passes the Senate.  The person proposing it is a NYC Democrat.  The Senate is controlled by the Republicans.  I suspect on top of that the Democrats will be too busy fighting amongst themselves over the fallout over the Comptroller position to focus on something this silly.

Edited by CJ AEGIS, 07 February 2007 - 10:37 PM.

"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#8 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:40 PM

^ apparently you missed where Democrats got control back?

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#9 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:42 PM

Does Hillary know about this?  I'm sure she'll support it.  Well, I wouldn't put it past her anyways.  She went after video games like hell on wheels.
Posted Image

#10 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:44 PM

View PostG1223, on Feb 7 2007, 07:21 PM, said:

Welcome to State Nanny example#2. Take a popular day to day item which could cause issues and rather than try to work out a solution have the state come in with a revenue generating concept. I gather they will fine those people they find with Ipods in their ears. Hope it's not a deaf guy who cannot work with the new style of hearing aids.

actually it boils down to this senator blaming the victim (the pedestrians) instead of the sloppy, careless drivers New York City is known for.

Posted Image

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#11 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:46 PM

No the state nanny like a always hungry wolf is knocking at the door. This is just the fool who is buying the "I promise not to eat you." line.

TANSTAAFL

#12 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:48 PM

View PostCheile, on Feb 7 2007, 07:44 PM, said:

View PostG1223, on Feb 7 2007, 07:21 PM, said:

actually it boils down to this senator blaming the victim (the pedestrians) instead of the sloppy, careless drivers New York City is known for.

View PostG1223, on Feb 7 2007, 07:46 PM, said:

No the state nanny like a always hungry wolf is knocking at the door. This is just the fool who is buying the "I promise not to eat you." line.

You BOTH are right.  Well, at least to me you are.  :)
Posted Image

#13 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:59 PM

View PostCheile, on Feb 7 2007, 10:40 PM, said:

This is for the New York State Senate - not the US Senate.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#14 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:05 PM

View PostCheile, on Feb 7 2007, 10:40 PM, said:

The New York State Senate is under the control of the Republicans.  Meanwhile the Assembly Democrats and our Democrat Governor are at each other's throats as of today.

Edited by CJ AEGIS, 07 February 2007 - 11:06 PM.

"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#15 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:02 AM

Tricky situation.

I can understand drivers being upset when some idiot just steps out in front of them without warning because they're too busy digging their too loud music to bother to listen and look... I've seen it happen.
Users of personal stereos used to be warned not to have them loud so they could still hear what was going on around them - to help prevent accidents and muggings mainly. But with all the 'kerchunk kerchunk' coming from the earpieces, I'd say many people have gone so deaf with these things that its too late for that now. They are a danger to themselves on the streets because they cannot hear a thing!  

I can also understand pedestrians getting upset with drivers 'running red lights' as I believe you call it because they're talking on the phone or listening to music or chatting to their passenger or trying to retune the radio.

It's all down to what is inherently distracting and what isn't. And that's different for different people.
Andromeda, Star Trek (all shows) and Doctor Who franchise episode transcripts.

Just because I didn't post a reply doesn't mean I wasn't tempted to.

#16 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:18 AM

Spidey: Not only that, but iPods are only a different form of music player. The "Walkman" and the "Discman" type of players have been out for years and years, and people have been walking with them, headphones on and all as well.

I think this is a pretty major and relevant point, actually.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#17 szhismine

szhismine

why must you hurt me in this way Harry...

• Islander
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:44 AM

like anyone will listen to that law if it passes. :rolleyes:
Neville: "My grandmother forbids me from using raunchy language."
Harry: "Well your grandmother is a Blast-Ended Skank!"
Neville: *GASP*
Hermione: "He doesn't mean it Neville, he's just testing out some wizard swears."
Harry: "I mean every word I ever say ever, because I'm Harry Potter." --'Wizard Swears', Potter Puppet Pals

Hermione: "What's your problem Harry?"
Harry: "My parents are dead, my life sucks, I can't hold down a girlfriend, and I'm surrounded by f*ck*ng goblins and sh*t all the time. I mean what the f*ck?"
Ron: "But it's magic Harry. The goblins are magical!" --'Wizard Angst', Potter Puppet Pals

Me: "It's just a matter of looking past [McKay's] arrogant exterior to see his warm, fuzzy, probably angst-filled interior."
Hawkeye: "You harperchondriac girls think everyone has an angst filled interior."

"Good gods, you sniff out angst like a police dog sniffs out drugs." --Lyric (to me)

#18 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:56 AM

3 people since September have been killed? That translates to 12 people a year being killed in one city, assuming everything else being equal. I may not agree with legislation over this, but at least the guy is trying to do something to help people. If something was killing 12 people a year in your city, wouldn't you want someone to do something about it?

You can't blame the drivers (except those going through red lights or causing other problems). They can't help it if someone steps out in front of them without warning.

I use my MP3 player almost every day on my walk to work. I don't have it turned up too loud; I watch for lights and traffic and I pay attention to those around me.

#19 szhismine

szhismine

why must you hurt me in this way Harry...

• Islander
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 08:56 AM

how does that translate to 12 people per year? and anyway i doubt that number is consistent. people are also distracted by cellphones when walking, should those be banned when crossing the street too? books? food and drinks? talking with friends? some event on the sidewalk?
Neville: "My grandmother forbids me from using raunchy language."
Harry: "Well your grandmother is a Blast-Ended Skank!"
Neville: *GASP*
Hermione: "He doesn't mean it Neville, he's just testing out some wizard swears."
Harry: "I mean every word I ever say ever, because I'm Harry Potter." --'Wizard Swears', Potter Puppet Pals

Hermione: "What's your problem Harry?"
Harry: "My parents are dead, my life sucks, I can't hold down a girlfriend, and I'm surrounded by f*ck*ng goblins and sh*t all the time. I mean what the f*ck?"
Ron: "But it's magic Harry. The goblins are magical!" --'Wizard Angst', Potter Puppet Pals

Me: "It's just a matter of looking past [McKay's] arrogant exterior to see his warm, fuzzy, probably angst-filled interior."
Hawkeye: "You harperchondriac girls think everyone has an angst filled interior."

"Good gods, you sniff out angst like a police dog sniffs out drugs." --Lyric (to me)

#20 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:30 AM

He said 3 people since September; I figure that he wasn't including January. 3 people in 3 months (or 4 months) would be 12 people in 12 months (or 9 people in 12 months).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: New York, ban on iPods, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users