Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

New York may ban iPods while crossing streets

New York ban on iPods 2007

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:36 AM

In a city of 8 million - 12 a year dying of stupidity doesn't seem like something to legislate over.

And - in a city that took Guliani's bullying about everything under the sun, but still handed him his head on a platter when he tried to enforce jaywalking laws - its dumb legislation.

The only thing this could possibly be about is increasing city revenues by handing out more tickets.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#22 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

Water's wet; sky's blue; and Satan Clause is out there.

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:41 AM

View Postszhismine, on Feb 8 2007, 07:56 AM, said:

how does that translate to 12 people per year? and anyway i doubt that number is consistent. people are also distracted by cellphones when walking, should those be banned when crossing the street too? books? food and drinks? talking with friends? some event on the sidewalk?
Is that people who are driving?  'Cause I've seen people driving do a lot of these stupid things:

Reading
Dressing
Make-Up
Eating
Listening to Radio
Talking W/Passenger
Talking on Cell Phone
Text Messaging

And the list goes on and on and on. . .

Rose: [disgusted] Oh, look at what the cat dragged in: "The Oncoming Storm."

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

Sometimes the best causes worth fighting for are lost causes. -- Me.

Formerly Known as "Lost Cause."

#23 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:47 AM

Edited to add to LC's post above, that I've seen a single person (different times/people too) doing half of those things all at once.  Who's driving the car?  I dunno, but it might be the dog on their lap.  :lol:

View PostQueenTiye, on Feb 8 2007, 08:36 AM, said:

In a city of 8 million - 12 a year dying of stupidity doesn't seem like something to legislate over.

And - in a city that took Guliani's bullying about everything under the sun, but still handed him his head on a platter when he tried to enforce jaywalking laws - its dumb legislation.

The only thing this could possibly be about is increasing city revenues by handing out more tickets.

QT

BINGO!  lol

(Let's look at the lovely prize you've won today QT.  Oh!  It's a shiny IPod. :hehe:)  (<-- kidding there, but not with the actual bingo comment.)

Edited by FnlPrblm, 08 February 2007 - 09:50 AM.

"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#24 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:43 AM

I don't support this legislation -- Frankly, it's b*llsh*t, and -- as others have noted -- it has no chance at passage.  (And it's very likely unconstitutional.  If I want to listen to my iPod when I commute (and I *do*), then I will.  My choice.  Not the government's.

View PostCheile, on Feb 7 2007, 08:20 PM, said:

i've heard how people in New York drive....like f-ing maniacs on speed.

I beg your pardon?

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#25 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:09 AM

It may be a good idea in theory, because people really shouldn't be wandering around in a dangerous environment when they're not aware of their surroundings.   I know I'd love to cram everybody's frickin' cell-phone straight up their frickin' a.. ban cell-phones in public because I'm sick o' being bumped into by people using them, or slowed down by them as they wander aimlessly like a scrap of garbage adrift on a sewer flow, wandering back and forth along the sidewalk 'cuz their balance is off 'cuz they're pressing something against their head, and they're not aware that they're even in public because Muffy's telling me what she's doin' ("Nothin'!  What're yew doin'?"  "Nothin'!")  so I don't have to master the ooo-scary concept of being alone for even ONE SINGLE FREAKIN' MINUTE!    God help 'em, if that happened, they might actually, I dunno, THINK or something, and then what?

'Scuze me, got off on a maniacal tangent there.  I liked the old days, where you could spot the crazy people because they were the ones talking to themselves.  Now in the age of BlueTooth etc., the crazy people blend right in, and you can't identify them until the scissors or the icepick comes out and then it's too late.   Besides, when did people get so complacent that they stopped feeling any need to watch out for themselves?  Handicapping yourself with distractions is as good as wounded-fish-noises to the sharks out there.  

So, yeah, I'd be happy if aaaaallll that junk disappeared from public situations.  But (A) I'm not thrilled about government trying to enforce personal choice issues, even ones I'd personally love to happen, and (B) how is this mickey-mouse monkeymess even remotely enforceable?  Do they really think police are going to play "hall monitor" and check pedestrians for iPods?   There's enough heavier crime going down in NYC, and I'd much rather they focus on cracking down on that rather than checking for headphones, seeing if people are chewing gum when they didn't bring enough for everybody, or whatever the next fiasco's gonna be...

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#26 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:09 AM

Cheile said:

^I'm with Scott on the  :eh:  factor on that comment.  

Ever driven regularly in TX, Cheile?  I remember when I lived in La., the bleed over of TX drivers into W. La. prompted me to make the joke,

"How do you know you're driving too fast?  When you've passed up a Texan."

Driving I-49 from Shreveport to Alexandria could, at times, be considered taking your life in your own hands.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

#27 szhismine

szhismine

why must you hurt me in this way Harry...

• Islander
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:12 AM

Quebec drivers are notoriously bad. not me though. ;)
Neville: "My grandmother forbids me from using raunchy language."
Harry: "Well your grandmother is a Blast-Ended Skank!"
Neville: *GASP*
Hermione: "He doesn't mean it Neville, he's just testing out some wizard swears."
Harry: "I mean every word I ever say ever, because I'm Harry Potter." --'Wizard Swears', Potter Puppet Pals

Hermione: "What's your problem Harry?"
Harry: "My parents are dead, my life sucks, I can't hold down a girlfriend, and I'm surrounded by f*ck*ng goblins and sh*t all the time. I mean what the f*ck?"
Ron: "But it's magic Harry. The goblins are magical!" --'Wizard Angst', Potter Puppet Pals

Me: "It's just a matter of looking past [McKay's] arrogant exterior to see his warm, fuzzy, probably angst-filled interior."
Hawkeye: "You harperchondriac girls think everyone has an angst filled interior."

"Good gods, you sniff out angst like a police dog sniffs out drugs." --Lyric (to me)

#28 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:26 AM

Hey drivers in Europe are nuts! France, Italy....Oh yes if you want an extreme sport try crossing the road in Florence or Paris. In the UK it's not so bad. The driving in London is.....slower than a pedestrian walking anyway most of the time. :rolleyes: Plus, when a pedestrian puts one foot on a zebra crossing, Cars MUST stop for them until they have completely crossed, a law which I'm not sure they have in Europe.

When I went to Florence I couldn't *believe* how fast they drove and how oblivious to pedestrians they were. Plus, instead of the "honk honk" that Brits give as a sign of their discontent, in Europe (I generalise here from my experiences in France, Germany, Italy and Spain [Iceland doesn't count]) they tend to just go "Hoooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnkkkkkkk. Hoooooooooooooooooonnnnnkkk" SOOO loud. Holland and Belgium were WAY better. Then again in Holland they seem to prefer bikes to cars, though 'course Gode can tell you more about traffic in Holland than I can. ;)

Ok I'm done now :blush:

Sparky

Edited by SparkyCola, 08 February 2007 - 11:26 AM.

Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#29 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:31 AM

OT
I htink the worse I have had to deal with is Houston Traffic. I was in a taxi all three times I have been in LA. It appears to be just as a messy. But Houston it was not speed it was the idiot who thought nothing of comming off the the ramp and going over to the far left lane. paying no attention to the anyone else was there.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#30 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:33 AM

View PostG1223, on Feb 8 2007, 10:31 AM, said:

OT
I htink the worse I have had to deal with is Houston Traffic. I was in a taxi all three times I have been in LA. It appears to be just as a messy. But Houston it was not speed it was the idiot who thought nothing of comming off the the ramp and going over to the far left lane. paying no attention to the anyone else was there.
You oughtta try it now with the whole Light Rail Metro Trains that run everywhere.  

Mel and I were going downtown (for one of my Dr. appts) and we were on Fannin Street and I was wholly and utterly confuzzled by the set up. :wacko:  Houston's "train/automobile" wreck rate has skyrocketed and I can see why!  The whole traffic system down there is a friggin' mess!

Now, 'nough said.

#31 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:54 AM

Houston is, indeed, traffic hell.  I wouldn't even try to drive there.  Too many crazy people.

I used to deal with this guy who sold really hard-to-find horror movies on videotape, and he lived in Massachusetts.  He would regularly send me newspaper clippings of crazy car wrecks that had happened nearby, always circling the fact the crazy drivers were always from Texas.  He did that so obsessively that I used to wonder if he was writing a book on 'em or something...

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#32 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 12:04 PM

View PostQueenTiye, on Feb 8 2007, 09:36 AM, said:

Its the State Government doing it though... If I read it correctly too this law would probably be applied to Albany, Syracuse and Buffalo at the very least too.  So I don't think it has anything to do with increasing revenue for NYC.  If anything this has everything to do with Albany being Albany and still staying Albany.  Our state government really makes me shake my head at times. ;-)

View PostScottEVill, on Feb 8 2007, 10:43 AM, said:

I don't support this legislation -- Frankly, it's b*llsh*t, and -- as others have noted -- it has no chance at passage.  (And it's very likely unconstitutional.  If I want to listen to my iPod when I commute (and I *do*), then I will.  My choice.  Not the government's.

I beg your pardon?

NYC drivers are a little crazy in my opinion but not really maniacs on speed level of crazy.  Though I do love when they get Upstate and their solution to driving in snow is to put the accelerator through the floor. ;)  I doubt the law is unconstitutional considering the cellphone driving ban has held up.  My own opinion is your fighting natural selection with such a law.  If you manage to get hit by a car crossing a street with an Ipod you are probably far enough in your own little word that you'll manage to do something else.

Edited by CJ AEGIS, 08 February 2007 - 12:08 PM.

"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#33 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 12:51 PM

View PostCJ AEGIS, on Feb 8 2007, 12:04 PM, said:

View PostQueenTiye, on Feb 8 2007, 09:36 AM, said:

Its the State Government doing it though... If I read it correctly too this law would probably be applied to Albany, Syracuse and Buffalo at the very least too.  So I don't think it has anything to do with increasing revenue for NYC.  If anything this has everything to do with Albany being Albany and still staying Albany.  Our state government really makes me shake my head at times. ;-)

Good point - but my argument still stands.  You can't possibly go to jail for violating this - you can only ever be issued a ticket worth some amount of money.  And with this law essentially unenforceable - its an easy ticket to give and to make money from until someone with some sense overturns it....

that is, if lots of someones with sense refuse to pass it in the first place.

One can hope.

QT

Edited by QueenTiye, 08 February 2007 - 12:51 PM.

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#34 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:24 PM

I think Spidey nailed it on the head here when he said this law is ridiculous because we have had personal music players since Sony's first Walkman! This is NOT new technology. Why wait so long to make this law NOW? And yes, how do you even enforce this?

And Lost Cause is right when he listed all the stupid things drivers do in their cars to distract themselves.

This is nothing but a fund raiser for the police, just like winter here in the Boston area when cities start getting anal about parking laws to riase some ca$h.

enTranced
Posted Image

#35 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:43 PM

View PostScottEVill, on Feb 8 2007, 07:43 AM, said:

I beg your pardon?

the parents went to New York a couple years ago....and some friends have also been recently.  there was a story or two about insane drivers paying little attention to anything or anyone.  usually cab drivers, but non-cabbies were also mentioned.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#36 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:47 PM

View PostLost Cause, on Feb 8 2007, 08:09 AM, said:

Cheile said:

^I'm with Scott on the  :eh:  factor on that comment.  

Ever driven regularly in TX, Cheile?  I remember when I lived in La., the bleed over of TX drivers into W. La. prompted me to make the joke,

"How do you know you're driving too fast?  When you've passed up a Texan."

Driving I-49 from Shreveport to Alexandria could, at times, be considered taking your life in your own hands.

i have friends in the Houston area.  the one who drives has complained quite loudly before about idiots on the road in that area.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#37 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:57 PM

View PostCJ AEGIS, on Feb 8 2007, 12:04 PM, said:

NYC drivers are a little crazy in my opinion but not really maniacs on speed level of crazy.  Though I do love when they get Upstate and their solution to driving in snow is to put the accelerator through the floor. ;)

My own reaction to snow (when I lived upstate) was the exact opposite.  

I doubt the law is unconstitutional considering the cellphone driving ban has held up.
The difference there is pedestrians are not operating a 2 ton vehicle -- only themselves.  

My own opinion is your fighting natural selection with such a law.

We agree. Cull the herd.  :)  

View PostCheile, on Feb 8 2007, 01:43 PM, said:

scottevill said:

I beg your pardon?

the parents went to New York a couple years ago....and some friends have also been recently.  there was a story or two about insane drivers paying little attention to anything or anyone.  usually cab drivers, but non-cabbies were also mentioned.

You're entitled to your opinion, and I don't mean to suggest otherwise.  But the comment painted all "people in New York" who drive as "f-ing maniacs on speed," and we're not.

In my experience, that broadside -- which is certainly not your creation -- is just not factually accurate.  Driving in New York rarely involves speed -- What it involves is sheer *volume*, and that often precludes speed.  Hell, it precludes driving the speed *limit*.  Too much congestion.  

My experience is that people who drive on open roads in less heavily populated areas have a lot more opportunity to be speed demons.

Edited by ScottEVill, 08 February 2007 - 01:57 PM.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#38 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:07 PM

^ i did not say "all"....i said "people in New York".  please do not put words into my replies that i never said.

and you know what, Los Angeles drivers have earned a similar reputation.  my friends in LA aren't insulted when people said "LA drivers drive like f-ing maniacs".

Posted Image

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#39 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:21 PM

View PostCheile, on Feb 7 2007, 10:44 PM, said:

actually it boils down to this senator blaming the victim (the pedestrians) instead of the sloppy, careless drivers New York City is known for.

Oh hell NO! I'll be the first to say that NY does have it's share of winner drivers. Idiots behind the wheel, and all that. HOWEVER, it also has more then it's share of idiotic pedestrians...You know the type...the one's who see the car coming towards them, and because "Pedestrians have the right of way" decide to step out, knowing the car is coming, because the car will stop because he, the pedestrian, has the right of way. BS!

There are idiots on both sides, behind the wheel and the shoe leather express...But to say that all pedestrians are victims is BS, IMO. If someone suddenly steps out in front of you, with no warning, cause he feels you will stop...even CAN'T stop in time...then IMO it's the pedestrian at fault, not the driver.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#40 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:27 PM

View PostZwolf, on Feb 8 2007, 11:09 AM, said:

It may be a good idea in theory, because people really shouldn't be wandering around in a dangerous environment when they're not aware of their surroundings.   I know I'd love to cram everybody's frickin' cell-phone straight up their frickin' a.. ban cell-phones in public because I'm sick o' being bumped into by people using them, or slowed down by them as they wander aimlessly like a scrap of garbage adrift on a sewer flow, wandering back and forth along the sidewalk 'cuz their balance is off 'cuz they're pressing something against their head, and they're not aware that they're even in public because Muffy's telling me what she's doin' ("Nothin'!  What're yew doin'?"  "Nothin'!")  so I don't have to master the ooo-scary concept of being alone for even ONE SINGLE FREAKIN' MINUTE!    God help 'em, if that happened, they might actually, I dunno, THINK or something, and then what?

'Scuze me, got off on a maniacal tangent there.  I liked the old days, where you could spot the crazy people because they were the ones talking to themselves.  Now in the age of BlueTooth etc., the crazy people blend right in, and you can't identify them until the scissors or the icepick comes out and then it's too late.   Besides, when did people get so complacent that they stopped feeling any need to watch out for themselves?  Handicapping yourself with distractions is as good as wounded-fish-noises to the sharks out there.  

Cheers,

Zwolf

LMAO!  :howling:  :howling:  :howling:
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: New York, ban on iPods, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users