• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:38 PM

[quote name='ScottEVill' post='956519' date='Feb 8 2007, 01:57 PM']My own reaction to snow (when I lived upstate) was the exact opposite.[/quote]
Some do figure it out and kudos to them but most get laughed at and pulled out of ditch. ;-)  I think a combination of intelligence and fear of death is what teaches some city drivers (most country drivers in snow country) not to try to deal with slippery roads by applying more power.  

The majority of the drivers I've checked out along the Thruway who have been in the ditch in bad weather seem to be city drivers.  Usually ones with SUVs.  Something about the belief that you have a front wheel drive or 4x4 and can go as fast as you want no matter the condition of the roads.   It neglects to mention that you can't stop.  When I get my new Jeep the first thing going on it is a good winch because I've gotten tired of using the shovel to help people out.      

[quote]Scott: I doubt the law is unconstitutional considering the cellphone driving ban has held up.[/quote]The difference there is pedestrians are not operating a 2 ton vehicle -- only themselves.[/quote]
Eh bad analogy on my part though I still don't see any constitutional reason that it would be struck down.  Consider the helmet laws.  If you fall off your motorcycle and bash your head it's only your head that is getting damaged.

[quote]  Scott: We agree. Cull the herd.  :)  [/quote]Eh my opinion is that if you can managed to get yourself killed by not paying attention crossing the street with your IPod you'll probably find a new way to do it.  Plus why tie up the police on Ipod hunting duty.

[quote=scottevill]
In my experience, that broadside -- which is certainly not your creation -- is just not factually accurate.  Driving in New York rarely involves speed -- What it involves is sheer *volume*, and that often precludes speed.  Hell, it precludes driving the speed *limit*.  Too much congestion.[/quote]
I actually agree even though NYC drivers do scare me.  My experience with them is they have poor lane changing, spacing, and signaling habits.  Many will tailgate, drive erratically, change lanes with no warning, and cut off other drivers with no concern for what is in their path.  I haven't really seen any trend toward them being worse speed demons than say Upstate Drivers.  What concerns me more so is when they think cutting in ten feet in front of my car at 65 mph is a good idea because they do it all the time when they are going 15 mph in the city.  The best way I can describe it is they are erratic, reckless, and unpredictable drivers rather than speed demons.    

Which I'm wondering if that Cheile's colorful statement was more about erratic driving rather than speeding.  I think she meant that they drive like they are on the drug "speed" which is a stimulant.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#42 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 03:36 PM

View PostCJ AEGIS, on Feb 8 2007, 11:38 AM, said:

Which I'm wondering if that Cheile's colorful statement was more about erratic driving rather than speeding.  I think she meant that they drive like they are on the drug "speed" which is a stimulant.

pretty much, CJ.  "f-ing maniacs on speed" is meaning more maniacial than normal, since i'm told speed makes a person act out to the extreme.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#43 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 04:12 PM

View PostCheile, on Feb 8 2007, 02:07 PM, said:

^ i did not say "all"....i said "people in New York".  please do not put words into my replies that i never said.

and you know what, Los Angeles drivers have earned a similar reputation.  my friends in LA aren't insulted when people said "LA drivers drive like f-ing maniacs".

That's a pretty wide statement - a generalization in fact.  Perhaps it would have been better if you'd said "some people."

Still - it's a innocuous enough statement (in my opinion) to usually be taken humorously, with the (some) being understood.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#44 Raina

Raina

Cpt. Raina 'Starlee'

• Validation Team
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 05:21 AM

How loud do people have their iPods turned up if they can't hear traffic?? When I'm walking around with my mp3 player on, I can hear the traffic, traffic light walk signal noises, etc., just fine.

Imho, you haven't seen scary drivers until you've seen Ugandan drivers. Cars do not stop for each other or pedestrians unless they're about to hit them; if you want to cross the street, you have to literally leap in front of a car and hope they see you (if you wait for a car to stop for you, you'd literally be waiting all day).

I was honestly amazed that in my 3 months there I never saw a single accident (though I was told that traffic related fatalities are pretty high); I guess cars are just used to slamming on the breaks as people cut in front of them!

"First thing they tell you is to assume you're already dead... dead men don't get scared or freeze up under fire. Me, I'm just worried that hell's gonna be a lonely place. And I'm gonna fill it up with every toaster son of a bitch I find." -Racetrack

"I believe what goes around comes around and if I am the instrument of 'coming round' then I'll do it happily. " -Shal

Viper Squadron CAG
Roman Warrior
Browncoat

#45 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:01 AM

And Lost Cause is right when he listed all the stupid things drivers do in their cars to distract themselves.
Hey these days you have to multi-task. In fact, Im typing this post from a wifi connection on my laptop while approaching Exit 13 on the New Jersey Turnpike, and still have complete control of my vehiclsgbg0w75twj3ntpughvs[dg[sw0bjsnbv[ne409gnb9nb0dhb -xdbd[xlbhc xzz
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#46 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:17 AM

!!! :crutch: !!!

Oh no, Scherzo!  Jesus take the wheel!

I have a suspicion the inside of your car looks something like Homer's pimped out car with the fax machine and coffee maker in that "Brake My Wife, Please" episode.  He's going off a cliff and tries to send a "Help!" fax.  
Posted Image

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#47 szhismine

szhismine

why must you hurt me in this way Harry...

• Islander
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:44 AM

I have a suspicion the inside of your car looks something like Homer's pimped out car with the fax machine and coffee maker in that "Brake My Wife, Please" episode. He's going off a cliff and tries to send a "Help!" fax.

:howling: i love that scene. :howling: btw he drove off a dock into the ocean. ;)

Edited by szhismine, 09 February 2007 - 11:50 AM.

Neville: "My grandmother forbids me from using raunchy language."
Harry: "Well your grandmother is a Blast-Ended Skank!"
Neville: *GASP*
Hermione: "He doesn't mean it Neville, he's just testing out some wizard swears."
Harry: "I mean every word I ever say ever, because I'm Harry Potter." --'Wizard Swears', Potter Puppet Pals

Hermione: "What's your problem Harry?"
Harry: "My parents are dead, my life sucks, I can't hold down a girlfriend, and I'm surrounded by f*ck*ng goblins and sh*t all the time. I mean what the f*ck?"
Ron: "But it's magic Harry. The goblins are magical!" --'Wizard Angst', Potter Puppet Pals

Me: "It's just a matter of looking past [McKay's] arrogant exterior to see his warm, fuzzy, probably angst-filled interior."
Hawkeye: "You harperchondriac girls think everyone has an angst filled interior."

"Good gods, you sniff out angst like a police dog sniffs out drugs." --Lyric (to me)

#48 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,147 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:13 PM

View PostLost Cause, on Feb 8 2007, 11:09 AM, said:

Cheile said:

i've heard how people in New York drive....like f-ing maniacs on speed.

^I'm with Scott on the  :eh:  factor on that comment.  

Ever driven regularly in TX, Cheile?  I remember when I lived in La., the bleed over of TX drivers into W. La. prompted me to make the joke,

"How do you know you're driving too fast?  When you've passed up a Texan."

Driving I-49 from Shreveport to Alexandria could, at times, be considered taking your life in your own hands.

Back when we went to Detroit regularly, I got to drive there, and you had to wait after the lights turned green, cause at least one or two cars were going to run the light.

Eh my opinion is that if you can managed to get yourself killed by not paying attention crossing the street with your IPod you'll probably find a new way to do it. Plus why tie up the police on Ipod hunting duty.

Very true. Darwin nominees.

Edited by Kosh, 09 February 2007 - 12:24 PM.

Can't Touch This!!

#49 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 04:24 PM

View Postszhismine, on Feb 9 2007, 11:44 AM, said:

:howling: i love that scene. :howling: btw he drove off a dock into the ocean. ;)

Oh, 'dat was it.   :lol:  
I just realized there's a "Squishy" machine in there too!

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#50 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,747 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 04:52 PM

[quote name='Kosh' post='957044' date='Feb 9 2007, 11:13 AM']Back when we went to Detroit regularly, I got to drive there, and you had to wait after the lights turned green, cause at least one or two cars were going to run the light.[/quote]

That happens just about anywhere. I live in Natchez, MS and I can't count the number of times that people run red lights around here. Considering that there's about a two second gap between one light turning red and your light turning green, there can be up to two or three cars running the red before yours turns green-not counting the ones still going through the red after yours turns green.

[quote]Eh my opinion is that if you can managed to get yourself killed by not paying attention crossing the street with your IPod you'll probably find a new way to do it. Plus why tie up the police on Ipod hunting duty.[/quote]Very true. Darwin nominees.[/quote]
I agree completely

#51 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:05 PM

View PostRaina, on Feb 9 2007, 05:21 AM, said:

Imho, you haven't seen scary drivers until you've seen Ugandan drivers. Cars do not stop for each other or pedestrians unless they're about to hit them; if you want to cross the street, you have to literally leap in front of a car and hope they see you (if you wait for a car to stop for you, you'd literally be waiting all day).

I was honestly amazed that in my 3 months there I never saw a single accident (though I was told that traffic related fatalities are pretty high); I guess cars are just used to slamming on the breaks as people cut in front of them!

And now you know what actually goes on with NY drivers...  MANY people come to NY from all over the world, with various different driving conditions from all over the road, and they come with drivers licenses. Even though they have to take another test to secure a NY Drivers License, they already know HOW to drive - so passing the test isn't that hard, while rather iffy habits are sown due to road conditions in their home countries.  And - meanwhile, all of New York learns how to drive while driving with people who have these odd habits...

Add to this the fact that New York pedestrians are merciless... pause even a half a second, and the intersection FLOODS with pedestrians who have concluded that you didn't WANT to go on green... and now you no longer have the right to do so...

add to that the fact that it is a small city compared to the number of people, and that statistically you're bound to have a few idiots on the road at any given time, and in NYC's cramped quarters, that multiplies in a very tight space... and what do you get? You get drivers who drive in all sorts of interesting ways... mostly aggressively, that look normal on NYC streets, and not so much on more open road.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#52 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:18 PM

No iPods allowed?  Fine.  Buy a Zune.  It's not an iPod. :D

Just another politician focusing on the wrong things.  How about cracking down on the nut-case drivers like others have said?  How about better traffic enforcement?  Oh, wait, those won't make as much of a dramatic headline news topic...
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#53 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:20 PM

I think drivers should not be allowed to be on cell phones.
Posted Image

#54 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:23 PM

View PostUna Salus Lillius, on Feb 10 2007, 07:20 PM, said:

I think cell phones should not be allowed to be on drivers.  :p :D

Edited by Spidey, 10 February 2007 - 10:23 PM.

Posted Image

#55 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

Water's wet; sky's blue; and Satan Clause is out there.

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:23 PM

This driver, when has directionally challenged moments, has often called the people he's visiting to confirm location and directions.  Thank God for cell phones then.

Rose: [disgusted] Oh, look at what the cat dragged in: "The Oncoming Storm."

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

Sometimes the best causes worth fighting for are lost causes. -- Me.

Formerly Known as "Lost Cause."

#56 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:25 PM

I'm saving up for one of them GPS nav units, LC.  :)
Posted Image

#57 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

View PostSpidey, on Feb 10 2007, 07:23 PM, said:

*tries to conjure a mental picture*

*Has a brain melt in the process*

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:      

:alien:
Posted Image

#58 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

Water's wet; sky's blue; and Satan Clause is out there.

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Nice.  Nice.  :D

I'm saving up for more German re-enacting gear.  (It's all I can afford on my measley teacher's salary.)

Rose: [disgusted] Oh, look at what the cat dragged in: "The Oncoming Storm."

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

Sometimes the best causes worth fighting for are lost causes. -- Me.

Formerly Known as "Lost Cause."

#59 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:30 PM

View PostUna Salus Lillius, on Feb 10 2007, 07:25 PM, said:

I was hoping you'd like that one.  :lol:

View PostLost Cause, on Feb 10 2007, 07:25 PM, said:

Nice.  Nice.  :D

I'm saving up for more German re-enacting gear.  (It's all I can afford on my measley teacher's salary.)

Teaching is a noble, and all too often under-appreciated and under-paid career.  I was thinking of getting the nav or an M1.  But since I can't find a decent M1, I may spring for a nav.  We'll see.
Posted Image

#60 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:33 PM

View PostSpidey, on Feb 10 2007, 07:30 PM, said:

View PostUna Salus Lillius, on Feb 10 2007, 07:25 PM, said:

I was hoping you'd like that one.  :lol:

I'm a little surprised you didn't ask if a "brain melt" bears any relation to a tuna melt.   :whistle:
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: New York, ban on iPods, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users