#61 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 01:44 PM

View PostGodeskian, on Feb 11 2007, 10:35 AM, said:

View PostHibblette, on Feb 11 2007, 06:27 PM, said:

People that do that do not have a very good self esteem.  They are very tragic people actually.

I disagree rather strongly with that.

I don't.  It's one of society's many unfortunate paradoxes.  On the one hand, objectification of women is accepted and encouraged while on the other women who allow themselves to be objectified are put down.  Screws with a person's mind and emotions.

Lil
Posted Image

#62 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 01:45 PM

View PostGodeskian, on Feb 11 2007, 12:35 PM, said:

People that do that do not have a very good self esteem.  They are very tragic people actually.

So I suppose I have to say it like this-In my opinion-people that use their bodies the way she did, are very tragic people.

There is a theory out there that the weight issues and rapid weight loss may have been what killed her.  Not so sure about that-but I know I stay away from the diet pills.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#63 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 04:04 PM

View PostDWF, on Feb 11 2007, 12:40 PM, said:

This is a guess on my part but I thought when the news first broke that her death has something to with those Trimspa pills she took to lose all that weight, especially after I heard her say that she needed nine pills a day. :blink:

I did not hear that but I would not doubt that it could have had some part in her death

Granted this is from a former employee of hers but one of her ex-bodyguards said on Inside Edition  (ok not the most reliable source either) that Anna Nicole never took illegal drugs but that she never took  her prescribed meds as directed, often more than she was supposed to or on her own timetable.  

In other words if it was supposed to be one pill every 6 hours she might take 3 every 2 hours.

He also said that was why she appeared out of it at some events....because she took too much of her prescription.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#64 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 04:31 PM

View PostUna Salus Lillius, on Feb 11 2007, 06:44 PM, said:

View PostGodeskian, on Feb 11 2007, 10:35 AM, said:

I don't.  It's one of society's many unfortunate paradoxes.  On the one hand, objectification of women is accepted and encouraged while on the other women who allow themselves to be objectified are put down.  Screws with a person's mind and emotions.

Lil

Actually, my observations weren't meant to portray a gender bias. Anyone, male or female who has reached whatever the accepted age of self determination is in their country should be free in my view to decide their most saleable trait is their body, and to exploit that in the same way that someone else exploits their mind or their experience or whatnot.

Please note, that includes other forms of selling ones body that isn't covered by the obvious 'sex'. Any form of primarily physical labour is the sale of ones body in exchange for money, just as non-physical labour is the sale of primarily mental labour in exchange for money.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#65 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,651 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 05:23 PM

Latest in the bizarro sweepstakes is that Anna's half-sister has speculated that Anna may have had herself impregnated with her deceased hubby's frozen sperm in order to guarantee that her child came in for some of the Marshall fortune.

I think that's just mean-spirited talk by the sister, but this story gets more incredible every day.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#66 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 05:43 PM

[quote name='trikay' post='958035' date='Feb 11 2007, 04:04 PM'][quote name='DWF' post='957970' date='Feb 11 2007, 12:40 PM']This is a guess on my part but I thought when the news first broke that her death has something to with those Trimspa pills she took to lose all that weight, especially after I heard her say that she needed nine pills a day. :blink:[/quote]

I did not hear that but I would not doubt that it could have had some part in her death

Granted this is from a former employee of hers but one of her ex-bodyguards said on Inside Edition  (ok not the most reliable source either) that Anna Nicole never took illegal drugs but that she never took  her prescribed meds as directed, often more than she was supposed to or on her own timetable.  

In other words if it was supposed to be one pill every 6 hours she might take 3 every 2 hours.

He also said that was why she appeared out of it at some events....because she took too much of her prescription.
[/quote]

My fault it was six pills a day not nine. :blush: But there's plenty of reasons why IMO people should stay away from the product.

[url="http://altmedicine.about.com/od/popularhealthdiets/a/Trimspa_Review.htm"]http://altmedicine.about.com/od/popularhea...mspa_Review.htm[/url]

[/quote]Trimspa no longer individually lists the ingredients. There is no way of knowing how much of each ingredient is in a single Trimspa capsule. Trimspa used to list each ingredient separately, but now the label merely indicates that there is 75 micrograms of chromium and 667.5 milligrams of an "x32 proprietary blend" containing glucomannan, cocoa extract, green tea extract, hoodia gordonii, sodium carboxymethylcellulose, glucosamine HCL, citrus naringin, and vanadium. Companies do this to protect their formula, but it makes it impossible to properly evaluate it.

Trimspa side effects may include anxiety and insomnia. Most people's cravings occur in the late afternoon and evening, however taking Trimspa in the late afternoon and evening may be too stimulating for some people and may lead to insomnia, anxiety, palpitations, and restlessness.

Although Trimspa no longer lists ingredients and their amounts individually, previously, each pill contained 125 mg of green tea extract. The total daily intake of four pills a day would provide 500 milligrams of green tea extract and 200 mg of caffeine, which is roughly equivalent to two 8-ounce cups of coffee. The cocoa extract can also be stimulating.[/quote]

:huh:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#67 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 05:49 PM

View PostCardie, on Feb 11 2007, 04:23 PM, said:

Latest in the bizarro sweepstakes is that Anna's half-sister has speculated that Anna may have had herself impregnated with her deceased hubby's frozen sperm in order to guarantee that her child came in for some of the Marshall fortune.

I think that's just mean-spirited talk by the sister, but this story gets more incredible every day.

Cardie

It's like a real life soap opera.

#68 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 06:11 PM

Frankly, I doubt her daughter cares whether or not she came from a working class background or a middle class background. The young woman who was her mother is now dead.

Sparky

Edited by SparkyCola, 11 February 2007 - 06:11 PM.

Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#69 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 06:49 PM

I hear what you're saying about the baby's background Spidey, but right now I don't see that as the issue. I see that, unless there happens to be something that makes him unfit, she should be with her biological father if he wants to have her. Right now it looks like the only way to determine that is going to be DNA testing.

Whose care is she in now BTW?
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#70 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:03 PM

View PostGodeskian, on Feb 11 2007, 01:31 PM, said:

Anyone, male or female who has reached whatever the accepted age of self determination is in their country should be free in my view to decide their most saleable trait is their body, and to exploit that in the same way that someone else exploits their mind or their experience or whatnot.

The bold is mine.  There is, unfortunately a big difference between what should be and what is.  The hypocricy of it today is a reality and I believe that women are inundated with it enough that often (not always) women who deliberately let themselves be exploited the way Anna did do so because they've somehow gotten the idea that their looks are their only asset but that it's wrong to use that asset so that it can't help but be a self esteem issue when they end up using the only asset they think they've got in a society that looks down on women (and men to a much much lesser extent) who use that asset to get ahead.
Posted Image

#71 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:23 PM

View PostUna Salus Lillius, on Feb 11 2007, 06:03 PM, said:

View PostGodeskian, on Feb 11 2007, 01:31 PM, said:

Anyone, male or female who has reached whatever the accepted age of self determination is in their country should be free in my view to decide their most saleable trait is their body, and to exploit that in the same way that someone else exploits their mind or their experience or whatnot.

The bold is mine.  There is, unfortunately a big difference between what should be and what is.  The hypocricy of it today is a reality and I believe that women are inundated with it enough that often (not always) women who deliberately let themselves be exploited the way Anna did do so because they've somehow gotten the idea that their looks are their only asset but that it's wrong to use that asset so that it can't help but be a self esteem issue when they end up using the only asset they think they've got in a society that looks down on women (and men to a much much lesser extent) who use that asset to get ahead.

Of course my whole thing in this thread is about just marrying for security purposes or because society deems one should have someone in your life.  In other words you have no brains, you are a weakling and you must find a man to marry.  And the only way you can do this is with your body.

Now what Gode and Lil are talking about is a whole other level of the body.

Just to use your body as a saleable trait is extremely tragic.  If you don't acquire the smarts in the flesh peddling world of entertainment then you are nothing more then a slab of meat or a tomato or whatever; we could fill a whole board with postings about the examples of this-not just Anna Nicole but look at Kate Moss.  And even those that actually had some smarts about them they generally still lose out in some form or fashion.  There's a few that have survived the whole thing...Heidi Klum for example she seems to be holding her own.

And then I will say it again, this is just my opinion.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#72 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:32 PM

That's the thing about today's society though isn't it. Our culture is saturated with the idea that there are 4 ways to success. Beauty. And if you don't have beauty, money. And if you don't have money, intelligence. And if you don't have any of those you'd better come from the right family because nothing else matters. That's not a standard I can agree with but it's one that can be seen everywhere. Those are the foundations on which society is based, whether they are the right ones or not.

At least that's how I see it.

Edited by SparkyCola, 11 February 2007 - 07:32 PM.

Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#73 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:45 PM

View PostAnastashia, on Feb 11 2007, 05:49 PM, said:

I hear what you're saying about the baby's background Spidey, but right now I don't see that as the issue. I see that, unless there happens to be something that makes him unfit, she should be with her biological father if he wants to have her. Right now it looks like the only way to determine that is going to be DNA testing.

Whose care is she in now BTW?

Word on the news this weekend is that Dannielyn is with Howard K Stern....who is the father listed on the birth certificate and the man who Anna said is the daddy.  

Anna's mother was also allowed some visitation with the baby today ....this despite her very vocal support of Larry Birkhead.

edited to correct....Anna's mom was not allowed to see the baby but she is in the Bahamas

I really do not understand why she is taking this position at the risk of alienating Stern.  I mean he might really be the daddy.  And she does not know who the real father is....she's just decided that Birkhead is the most likely candidate to allow her access to the baby.

edited to add....this morning she said on GMA that she believes that Larry is the real dad.  But then she admitted that she wanted Larry to be the dad.  That her previous statement that the baby girl should be with her father only applied IF the father is Birkhead

Edited by trikay, 12 February 2007 - 08:52 AM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Anna Nicole Smith, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users