Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

New Orleans Situation

Post Katrina New Orleans 2007

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

Water's wet; sky's blue; and Satan Clause is out there.

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:41 AM

NOLA grapples with prospect of second-class status

A year and a half after Hurricane Katrina, an alarming number of residents are leaving or seriously thinking of getting out for good.They have become fed up with the violence, the bureaucracy, the political finger-pointing, the sluggish rebuilding and the doubts about the safety of the levees.

"The mayor says, 'Come back home. Every area should come back.' For what?" said Genevieve Bellow, who rebuilt her home in heavily damaged eastern New Orleans but has been unable to get anything done about the trash and abandoned apartment buildings in her neighborhood and may leave town. "I have no confidence in anything or anybody."

Combined with NOLA's skyrocketing crime rate, the sluggish clean up and rebuild, the slow disbursement of Federal rebuilding funds, it's no wonder people are ready to bail of the Crescent City for better pastures.  Also, it's not like NOLA had a great crime rate to begin with.  When I was a kid living there in the 80s the crime rate was pretty high already, but I can't begin to imagine NOLA now having a crime rate comparable to D.C. of the 80s.  But, this is not a loss La. can afford, considering the Port of New Orleans is the biggest generator of income for the state.  Added on to that income was the tourist money that flowed into the city every year.  The state of La. needs that city, or else the state's gonna be poorer than it already is.

Rose: [disgusted] Oh, look at what the cat dragged in: "The Oncoming Storm."

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

Sometimes the best causes worth fighting for are lost causes. -- Me.

Formerly Known as "Lost Cause."

#2 Appreciate

Appreciate
  • Islander
  • 4,651 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:53 AM

The most tragic thing about this is that I'm not even sure what enlightened politicians can do to fix things now.

Freeing up funds for rebuilding and, apparently, for law enforcement would help some, but I'm not sure anything is enough any more.

Seems like NO has hit a tipping point, particularly if the port has permanently lost business, which I think I read elsewhere is the case.

:(

I only visited once, but I'm so sad to see the unique legacy that was New Orleans die away.  Once that voice is stilled, it will never return.

Kath
"Any dolt with half a brain/Can see that humankind has gone insane
To the point where I don't know if I'll upset the status quo
If I throw poison in the water main..."
- Billy (aka Dr. Horrible) in My Eyes from the AWESOME Dr. Horrible's SingAlong Blog

#3 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

Water's wet; sky's blue; and Satan Clause is out there.

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:12 AM

What has concerned me most about NOLA's situation is that so many people left everything behind and they now have to completely rebuild from nothing.  That kind of situation encourages people to stay where they went and build from there.  And with all those folks putting down new roots in places elsewhere (like Houston, which got a passle of 'em), they're gonna be less inclined to return, especially now that the crime rate has gone up like a Saturn V Rocket.

Rose: [disgusted] Oh, look at what the cat dragged in: "The Oncoming Storm."

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

Sometimes the best causes worth fighting for are lost causes. -- Me.

Formerly Known as "Lost Cause."

#4 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,147 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:04 PM

NOLA will have to be razed in large part, then have the ground built up, hopefully above sea level, then they need to let the river run it's old coarse so it can build up the wet lands around NOLA, and it wil be better protected from storms, like it was years ago. At least there are people out there working to get it rebuilt, like Harry Connic Jr. His new record, "Oh My NOLA" is all New Orleans music, trying to keep it in the news. With him and some others like him, there is some hope for a once great city.
Can't Touch This!!

#5 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:07 PM

It's more than just NOLA, it's every part of Louisiana that was hit.  I've had to move north and am living with my son.  There are no decent jobs or at least jobs that will pay for the outrageous living conditions down there.  Everything is 3 times what it was before the storm.  It is the saddest thing to me to see my beloved city/state lose its roots, its people because they made the city what it was.  The Cajuns, the Voodoo Queens, the Queens, all of them, the people of NOLA gave the city the spice that made it a most special place on the planet.  I hope that it can come back and be what it once was but I have many doubts about that.  :(

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#6 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:37 PM

IF things get rebuilt, maybe there could be some kind of tax incentives for people to move back...

Of course a lot of people who were transported out didn't/don't make enough to file taxes.

Maybe Disney will come in and make it a theme park.  Full employment for the restaurant, music and hospitality industries.

It's a tragedy that just keeps multiplying.
Cats will never be extinct!

#7 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:31 PM

And the longer folks stay away the less likely it is they will ever go back to New Orleans

Life goes on and they get comfortable in their new lives, jobs, schools etc

There have been quite a few stories in the Houston newspaper over the past year or so about folks who moved to the area from New Orleans after Katrina...

Quite a few who intended to go back and just never have and quite a few who did go back but could not make a go of it back home.  So they came back to Houston.

As far as I understand from new reports, most of the good that has been done in New Orlenas as far as rebuilding etc has been done not by the government but  private organizations and individuals.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#8 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:07 PM

That poor city will never be the same for a long, long time.  If ever. :(
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Post Katrina, New Orleans, 2007

0 user(s) are browsing this forum