• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 12:26 PM

Hey, I work in Hollywood, where the artists ARE businessmen and women.  Do you know how much worse the US trade deficit would be without the entertainment industry?

Zack

I know. To an extent, the question is fundamentally flawed in that there are more shades of gray then allowed in a poll setting.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#22 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 12:52 PM

Josh, on Jun 2 2003, 01:30 AM, said:

I know. To an extent, the question is fundamentally flawed in that there are more shades of gray then allowed in a poll setting.
They do need a neutral option for these questions.  They don't seem to cover defense issues much either.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#23 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 01:28 PM

On the visible bit at the top of the first page alone, I already see two questions that are invalid as presented. The choice between something benefitting "transnational corporations" or "humanity" is a (false) dichotomy that is only believed in by those of a certain political persuasion, which makes the question unanswerable to those who think otherwise. Thus, ANY answer will make the answeror appear to be of that political persuasion, whether (s)he is or not... it's sort of like dignifying "Are you still beating your wife" with an answer when you know that either answer involves admitting that you ever HAVE beaten your wife.

And then the fourth question tries to force the test taker to state an agreement or disagreement with a statement that, lacking qualifications, has to be absolute in its meaning. In other words, it's true all the time or never. Where's the "Sometimes"? Where are the conditions built into the question for making a more situation-dependent judgement?

I'm not looking forward to any real insights from the rest of this test, if this is what I get before even scrolling downward on the first page...

#24 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 02:00 PM

Delvo is right.

That being said:

Economic Left/Right: 3.62
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -2.92
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#25 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 02:03 PM

Well, no online test is going to be all that accurate, and if the person taken the test is smart enough, they can alter the outcome, to say what they want. :wacko:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#26 Bossy

Bossy

Chaos Personified

• Islander
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 02:26 PM

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: 2.12
Authoritarian/Libertarian: 1.13

I think this is pretty similar to the results that I got last time, and I think that its pretty accurate.

#27 UoR11

UoR11
  • Islander
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 02:44 PM

Economic Left/Right: 7.50
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -3.03
I'm vaugely near Milton Freidman, which is fairly accurate, though I'm more libertarian than him, and no one else is listed in the whole quadrent.
Yes, I am an economist. Yes, I do frequently sing "Can't Buy Me Love". No, I don't see any contradiction there.

#28 EvilTree

EvilTree

my silence is my pervading call

• Islander
  • 623 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 03:50 PM

Economic Left/Right: -0.75
Authoritarian/Libertarian: 0.62

Hmmm... Still a centrist but I used to be more economic right than left. I guess my views have changed a bit.
Loyalty, Vigilance, Excellence
-Motto of Imperial Space Marines

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Self control is chef element in self respect. Self respect is chief element in courage."
-Thucydides

#29 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,147 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 11:04 PM

Economic Left/Right: 0.12
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -2.21
Can't Touch This!!

#30 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 01:41 AM

Economic Left/Right: -3.12
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -3.90

I suppose being right in there with Nelson Mandela and the Dalai Lama can't be all bad. ;)

And this question had me scratching my head:

The growing fusion between information and entertainment is a worrying contribution to the public's shrinking attention span.

All right, then. I get what they're after, but honestly.....:p :p Anybody want to go for an even MORE pretentious and obscure wording?? :D

Edited by Rhea, 03 June 2003 - 01:45 AM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#31 Bossy

Bossy

Chaos Personified

• Islander
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 02:28 AM

Rhea, on Jun 2 2003, 09:45 AM, said:

The growing fusion between information and entertainment is a worrying contribution to the public's shrinking attention span.

All right, then. I get what they're after, but honestly.....:p :p Anybody want to go for an even MORE pretentious and obscure wording?? :D
LOL!  :lol:

Nah, I think they nailed pretntious and obscure on the first shot.  :p

#32 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 02:35 AM

Ok, so they win an award for Elegant Obfuscation. :D :D
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#33 Bossy

Bossy

Chaos Personified

• Islander
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 02:36 AM

LOL  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

#34 aphrael

aphrael
  • Islander
  • 282 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 02:46 AM

Here are my results

Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -5.08

:yin-yang:

Aphrael

#35 AnneZo

AnneZo
  • Islander
  • 688 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 07:29 AM

Economic Left/Right: -4.00
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -5.03

That explains a lot. :)

#36 AnneZo

AnneZo
  • Islander
  • 688 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 07:30 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on Jun 1 2003, 10:43 PM, said:

Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -2.87

I haven't a clue what this means but it's got me roughly in the same place on the graph as Ghandi, which ain't bad.:)
Are we all seeing the same lists?  Mine doesn't show Ghandi.

#37 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 08:27 AM

Economic Left/Right: -2.75
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -3.33

But that result depends heavily upon the questions they asked.

Still, it's not a bad place to be. A little more lefty/libertarian than Chretien, but that's not too surprising. ;)
Per aspera ad astra

#38 Shadow

Shadow
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 12:42 PM

Economic Left/Right: -5.12
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -6.87

Taken it about 5 times before and always got the same answer.
What if they gave a war and nobody came?

#39 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 01:24 PM

I got a score of, well I didn't finish. 6 pages is too long.

There is at least one premise I take issue with, such as "Our race has many superior qualities."

I strongly agree with this statement. After all, there is only one race, homo sapiens. Perhaps they meant to say ethnic group.

-Ogami

#40 TravelerOfTheWays

TravelerOfTheWays

Botherbotherbother

• Islander
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 02:51 PM

Very interesting, but I do wish there'd been some neutral options--some I geniunely care very little about and there were a couple I frankly did not understand.  I ended up Right Libertarian, which is very odd, because I know myself to be a Libertarian sprinkled with liberal tendencies.
"The corollary, of course, is that a Western man who treats women like they're, you know, people has an absurdly easy time of things. It's like a sexy lady liquidation event. NO REASONABLE OFFER WILL BE REFUSED."

~Rov

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Politics-US, Quiz

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users