#21 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 06:19 PM

Here's part two.

http://www.washingto...21801335_5.html

I couldn't make it past the first page.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#22 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 06:28 PM

This is just criminal... This is how we treat our heroes?  So we can maintain the proper image of brave soldiers who don't ever get wounded?  An image the government needs to keep projecting so the American public will agree to keep on sending men and women to war, so they can be killed and maimed and then be ignored by our government.

Perks and stardom do not come to every amputee. Sgt. David Thomas, a gunner with the Tennessee National Guard, spent his first three months at Walter Reed with no decent clothes; medics in Samarra had cut off his uniform. Heavily drugged, missing one leg and suffering from traumatic brain injury, David, 42, was finally told by a physical therapist to go to the Red Cross office, where he was given a T-shirt and sweat pants. He was awarded a Purple Heart but had no underwear.

David tangled with Walter Reed's image machine when he wanted to attend a ceremony for a fellow amputee, a Mexican national who was being granted U.S. citizenship by President Bush. A case worker quizzed him about what he would wear. It was summer, so David said shorts. The case manager said the media would be there and shorts were not advisable because the amputees would be seated in the front row.

" 'Are you telling me that I can't go to the ceremony 'cause I'm an amputee?' " David recalled asking. "She said, 'No, I'm saying you need to wear pants.' "

David told the case worker, "I'm not ashamed of what I did, and y'all shouldn't be neither." When the guest list came out for the ceremony, his name was not on it.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#23 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 09:36 PM

Wow....I think there is a lot that could be said about this.  :Oo: :down:

But one word just keeps going through my mind again and again...and again...

...Inexcusable...

Soldiers dealing with psychological disorders of their own have been put in charge of others at risk of suicide.
:shocked:

And the young soldier who made it back from Iraq only to die here...

The soldier, Cpl. Jeremy Harper, returned from Iraq with PTSD after seeing three buddies die. He kept his room dark, refused his combat medals and always seemed heavily medicated, said people who knew him. According to his mother, Harper was drunkenly wandering the lobby of the Mologne House on New Year's Eve 2004, looking for a ride home to West Virginia. The next morning he was found dead in his room. An autopsy showed alcohol poisoning, she said.

"I can't understand how they could have let kids under the age of 21 have liquor," said Victoria Harper, crying. "He was supposed to be right there at Walter Reed hospital. . . . I feel that they didn't take care of him or watch him as close as they should have."

The Army posthumously awarded Harper a Bronze Star for his actions in Iraq.

Shannon viewed Harper's death as symptomatic of a larger tragedy -- the Army had broken its covenant with its troops. "Somebody didn't take care of him," he would later say. "It makes me want to cry. "

Made me want to cry too. :(

And Staff Sgt Shannon is a hero for trying to get some changes made, IMO...

Peridot

#24 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:50 PM

View PostNonny, on Feb 21 2007, 08:04 AM, said:

View PostHibblette, on Feb 20 2007, 06:15 PM, said:

I have friends that actually sent bulletproof vests to their kids in Iraq.
Unauthorized gear is routinely confiscated.  :angry:  

Nonny

Insanity.  Purely.

WE taxpayers are supposedly spending all this money in taxes for development of all this high tech equipment and yet our young men and women that Boehner and a few others are crying for [in regards to the surge debate] are not getting this equipment.  Oh probably high ranking officers and visitors but not our guys and gals.

I get so angry about this Nonny that I just nearly pass out. :blowup:

Edited by Hibblette, 21 February 2007 - 11:53 PM.

"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#25 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 12:15 AM

View PostHibblette, on Feb 21 2007, 08:50 PM, said:

View PostNonny, on Feb 21 2007, 08:04 AM, said:

View PostHibblette, on Feb 20 2007, 06:15 PM, said:

I have friends that actually sent bulletproof vests to their kids in Iraq.
Unauthorized gear is routinely confiscated.  :angry:  

Nonny

Insanity.  Purely.

WE taxpayers are supposedly spending all this money in taxes for development of all this high tech equipment and yet our young men and women that Boehner and a few others are crying for [in regards to the surge debate] are not getting this equipment.  Oh probably high ranking officers and visitors but not our guys and gals.

I get so angry about this Nonny that I just nearly pass out. :blowup:

And now Murtha's proposal doesn't seem so much a "slow bleed" and pure politics, but something ALL of Congress should be insisting be present for ALL our troops.  The right equipment and the care they deserve once they are wounded.  

And it just begs another question... what the hell are they spending all our money on?

I know nothing will be done about the battles ALL these wounded GI's face regarding their benefits.  The VA has never seemed to give a rats a$$ under any administration, but at least lets give them the best chance in the field and the best medical care when they get home.

This is just a national tragedy.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#26 The Oncoming Storm

The Oncoming Storm

Water's wet; sky's blue; and Satan Clause is out there.

• Islander
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:10 AM

View PostCait, on Feb 21 2007, 11:15 PM, said:

And it just begs another question... what the hell are they spending all our money on?

Earmarks; pork barrel projects; museums that people will never hear of nor visit, even though they're "good for the local economy."  You know, Cait:  pointless crap that wastes hard-earned tax-payer dollars to buy votes for the incumbent.

Rose: [disgusted] Oh, look at what the cat dragged in: "The Oncoming Storm."

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." -- John Wayne

Sometimes the best causes worth fighting for are lost causes. -- Me.

Formerly Known as "Lost Cause."

#27 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:12 AM

plenty of cash for Cheney's junket

Naturally, any president or vice president of the United States is treated to the very best in accommodations and amenities. After all, we're the richest nation ever and it's a quality we hasten to underscore whenever possible. But it's with a significant amount of irony that Vice President Cheney will be staying at Sydney's Shangri-La Hotel this week -- the same week in which we've collectively experienced the shocking truth about the filth and decay at Walter Reed Army Medical Center's Building 18.
Disgusting.  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#28 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:27 AM

View PostSpectacles, on Feb 21 2007, 03:19 PM, said:

Here's part two.

http://www.washingto...21801335_5.html

I couldn't make it past the first page.

I had to read the last page first.  Will get to the others later.  

Bryan Anderson is out here one Friday. "Hey, Bry, what time should we leave in the morning?" asks his best friend, a female soldier also injured in Iraq. The next day is Veterans Day, and Bryan wants to go to Arlington National Cemetery. His pal Gary Sinise will be there, and Bryan wants to give him a signed photo.

Thousands of spectators are already at Arlington the next morning when Bryan and his friend join the surge toward the ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknowns. The sunshine dazzles. Bryan is in his wheelchair. If loss and sacrifice are theoretical to some on this day, here is living proof -- three stumps and a crooked boyish smile. Even the acres of tombstones can't compete. Spectators cut their eyes toward him and look away.

Suddenly, the thunder of cannons shakes the sky. The last time Bryan heard this sound, his legs were severed and he was nearly bleeding to death in a fiery Humvee.

Boom. Boom. Boom. Bryan pushes his wheelchair harder, trying to get away from the noise. "Damn it," he says, "when are they gonna stop?"

Bryan's friend walks off by herself and holds her head. The cannon thunder has unglued her, too, and she is crying.
Sights and sounds, memories and intrusive thoughts.  Overwhelming.
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#29 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:45 AM

There are two things I was taught by my parents:

1) Most people don't give a sh!t about anyone but themselves.

2) Your best-and many times, only-friend is the dollar in your pocket.

Sadly, experience has shown both to be largely true.

My late father was a vet of the Korean War. When he had asked for assistance on certain things, he got told that some of his records were lost in a fire.  :sarcasm: Now that I read this, I have even greater doubts about that.  :glare:

It would have been nice to have gotten financial assistance for his burial, since he was a vet-but that wasn't to be, and we couldn't afford insurance. Basically, we had to bleed a rock for the cash to cover the burial expenses. That wasn't pleasant, to put it mildly. :(
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#30 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 11:09 AM

View PostDigital Man, on Feb 22 2007, 07:45 AM, said:

My late father was a vet of the Korean War. When he had asked for assistance on certain things, he got told that some of his records were lost in a fire.  :sarcasm: Now that I read this, I have even greater doubts about that.  :glare:

It would have been nice to have gotten financial assistance for his burial, since he was a vet-but that wasn't to be, and we couldn't afford insurance. Basically, we had to bleed a rock for the cash to cover the burial expenses. That wasn't pleasant, to put it mildly. :(
The fire did happen, but many veterans believe that it's been used as an excuse.  The DoD should have bent over backwards to help veterans prove that they served instead of placing the entire burden on those who don't have access to their vast database.  They accept statements from veterans who served with those whose records were lost, but tracking them down wasn't easy in the preInternet days, and finding veterans still alive who still remember you isn't exactly a slam dunk anymore anyway.  

Nonny
Posted Image

#31 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 11:24 AM

Army Probes Reports of Neglect at Walter Reed
java script:getMedia(

Posted Image by Guy Raz

Morning Edition, February 22, 2007   One of the Army's most senior generals is vowing to personally oversee the upgrade of a dilapidated hospital ward that houses soldiers recovering from injuries sustained in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Good to know that somebody finally got his attention.  This has been reported before.  

Army chiefs, and the top civilian leaders at the Pentagon including Dr. William Winkenwerder, the assistant defense secretary in charge of health affairs all say they were unaware of the conditions inside Building 18.

"I never received a concern from a soldier, a family member and we get concerns all the time directed to us, but we never got a concern sent our way about this issue, which is a little surprising," Winkenwerder said. "I'm not sure why that is."
Can you say "cover up"?  

Walter Reed is considered one of the most advanced hospitals in the world. None of the soldiers interviewed in the Post article complained about the medical care.

At least something is working right.  

Army officials privately concede that they will have to reevaluate a whole set of procedures at Walter Reed, including whether recovering patients in the outpatient facilities still have to take part in daily military formations.

For patients who may not be fully ambulatory, or those who suffer from psychological trauma, it's not an easy task. They have to walk to get to the place where formations are held.

It's a complaint that Frank Yoakum, of the Enlisted Association of the National Guard, hears a lot from some of the men and women he visits at Walter Reed.

He said if you don't have a spouse or other helper, navigating roads in a wheelchair, on crutches, or on a prosthetic limb could be difficult especially when there is snow on those roads.

:eek2:  :eek2:  :eek2:  :eek2:  :eek2:

Renovations have already begun at Building 18. In a few weeks, the Army will rename the now-infamous ward.

In a few years, the entire Walter Reed base will be shut down. The Pentagon is planning to expand the nearby Bethesda Naval Hospital to serve as the national military medical center.
My guess is that this is why they've been keeping their heads down.  They don't want to fix what they can tear down in a short while.  Fine, but don't put troops there!  

Nonny
Posted Image

#32 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 12:19 PM

Yersterday, on PBS news, the top military doctor blamed troops for the mice and roaches at Walter Reed, saying that they were leaving food in their rooms.

Don Imus refered to him several times this morning as that "Smug Scmuck".

He should be removed today. This only gets worse. I'd love to blame the current administration, but it's been going on since our first war.
Can't Touch This!!

#33 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 01:17 PM

View PostKosh, on Feb 22 2007, 09:19 AM, said:

Yersterday, on PBS news, the top military doctor blamed troops for the mice and roaches at Walter Reed, saying that they were leaving food in their rooms.

Nice.  As ignorant as he is incompetent.  This would be the same guy responsible for injured troops making their way to those daily formations in wheelchairs, on crutches and prosthetics, sometimes in the snow, that a competent doctor would have had them excused from, I'm guessing.  

Nonny
Posted Image

#34 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 01:48 PM

Huh.  When I was in the hospital, they had these people who came around and took away plates and stuff when you were done with 'em.  They even had people who'd come in and mop the floor once or twice a day.

I know it might seem like a radical concept, but maybe that doctor would want to consider getting something like that for their hospital?  

Jeez.  Blaming the troops when a lot of 'em probably can't even get out of bed unassisted... that guy's crazy.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#35 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 02:06 PM

View PostZwolf, on Feb 22 2007, 10:48 AM, said:

Jeez.  Blaming the troops when a lot of 'em probably can't even get out of bed unassisted... that guy's crazy.
Six years ago, 14 hours after emergency surgery, when I could not get out of bed unassisted, the surgical resident who had assisted the surgeon gave me the "good news" that I was being discharged.  That confused me, since I was under the influence of all kinds of drugs and unable to sort through my thoughts, but it did occur to me, and I did voice the thought that that might not be such a good idea, since I couldn't get out of bed without help.  He immediately went medieval on me and shouted that I was now in violation of federal law and if I did not get out of the bed within the hour he would call the VA police.  Sure enough, three armed VA police showed up, the one in charge barking questions at me but failing to allow me to answer.  I stayed in the bed for another seven or eight hours, till the drugs wore mostly off (which is why I was supposed to be on 23 hour observation, I'm guessing), and my brain cleared enough to make me realize that I really needed to get out of there.  I was wheeled to the curb by my car and stonily observed till I drove off, semiconscious.  Next thing I knew it was two or three hours later and I was parked safely in my own carport.  I managed to get myself inside my apartment and managed to call a neighbor, who took care of me for the next few days till I was able to care for myself.  

And that, friends, is just a VA hospital, where they don't even own you anymore.  It's also the reason I get my gyn care fee-based, so all was not lost, but that took another three years.  Another veteran who was sent home in similar circumstances was not so lucky; he caused an accident.  

Nonny

Edited by Nonny, 22 February 2007 - 02:08 PM.

Posted Image

#36 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 02:45 PM

{{{Nonny}}}

I'm not in the least bit surprised by any of this. People can be real pricks-which is why I'm such an intensely solitary person. If you're poor, or have been through some rough patches through no fault of your own, you're made to feel that this is your fault-that you "made your own luck", that you somehow are responsible for the mess you're in.  :sarcasm:

In the eyes of many, it's a crime to be poor and disadvantaged. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what the hell he or she is talking about. All you are is a burden, and you'd better die quick, so you can stop being a pain in the ass and leave that oxygen for more deserving folks.

People more often than not don't want to be bothered with other people's problems, no matter how great the need. Are there people who care? Sure-but in my experience, they are few and far between. Oftentimes, you have to make every effort to get your sh!t together, no matter how f*cked up you may be, because there is usually no choice. And if you get worse or die because of your disadvantages, well...too bad, so sad. Thanks for playing the Game of Life, but you're a pathetic loser. The least you can do is feed the worms and the flowers-assuming you are even useful enough to do that.  :sarcasm:

The fact that GIs have to get this same treatment is FUBAR. But you're GI-"General Issue." You're just a machine part. And when the machine part breaks down, you get booted off to the side. You're not even a name-just some social security/ serial number.

Nope-nope-nope. I'm not shocked at all. This is typical sh!t on planet Earth. So much for that crock of bullsh!t that "we are better than that".  :glare: :sarcasm:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#37 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 04:50 PM

View PostNonny, on Feb 22 2007, 01:17 PM, said:

View PostKosh, on Feb 22 2007, 09:19 AM, said:

Nice.  As ignorant as he is incompetent.  This would be the same guy responsible for injured troops making their way to those daily formations in wheelchairs, on crutches and prosthetics, sometimes in the snow, that a competent doctor would have had them excused from, I'm guessing.  

Nonny

They were talking about that this morning also, but I'm not sure if it was the same guy. Probably though. He's the one that said that when he jogging around the grounds in the morning, the staff is arriving and everthing is fine, just fine.

How does this get fixed?

Dad never fooled with the VA till late in his life, and then we talked him into going to CAMC, some what better at least.

It seems that vets are constantly screwed by the forces that sent them into battle in the first place. Perhaps a letter writing campaign from non vets.

Last year, the benifit for families of soldiers killed on duty was raised, from a patheic six thousand dollars, to five hundred thousand. Congress was set to raise it to about twelve thousand, till the Imus rant started, and he named names. It quickly went to 500,000.00.

It needs to be raised to at least one million. If the military is forced to treet soldiers like million dollar equipment, I suspect casulties would drop drasticly.

Any wounded vet with a disability of say, 20% or more, automaticly gets one hundred percent, and VA hopitals are eleminated, and all vets get free care in regular hospitals.

Dad had a 10% disability when he got home from WWII. He was able to work and retire, and didn't get really sick till he was 73. Almost 20 years of retirement. That's why I say 20% or better.
Can't Touch This!!

#38 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 05:28 PM

View PostZwolf, on Feb 22 2007, 12:48 PM, said:

Huh.  When I was in the hospital, they had these people who came around and took away plates and stuff when you were done with 'em.  They even had people who'd come in and mop the floor once or twice a day.

I know it might seem like a radical concept, but maybe that doctor would want to consider getting something like that for their hospital?  

Cheers,

Zwolf

What this schmuck is referring to is the chips and snacks that these guys have in their rooms.  

That doesn't account for the mold nor is it a good excuse for the rats and cockroaches.

See this is when you have administrators that set rules down like confiscation of certain articles if they are not kept in the proper way.

What jacka$$es
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#39 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 06:19 PM

We occasionally get an infestation of field mice at school. I remember one teacher jumping up and down because all of our people keep the kid food in plastic, sealed containers, but in one building we share with a private preschool that didn't. I thought the teacher was going to pass out when she opened her desk drawer to find a dead mousie. :p I had to dipose of it, and by lunchtime it had become a rat. :D

It's really hard to get rid of rats, etc. once you have them and you don't even have to have food left out - they eat the damndest things, like insulation. :o But cleanliness (as in proper hygiene on the hospital's part) and rat traps (and cockroach bait) with proper maintenance will pretty much eradicate the problem if they care enough to bother (and they can lay down rules about food in the rooms, because snack food, etc. that's not properly sealed up WILL attract rats and cockroaches).

Blaming the soldiers/patients is just crap.

I remember my mom telling me that they had cockroaches par excellance at the old Balboa Hospital, where I was born. My clean freak mom was beyond horrified.

Edited by Rhea, 23 February 2007 - 06:21 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#40 Pywacket

Pywacket
  • Islander
  • 443 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 08:32 PM

View PostLost Cause, on Feb 22 2007, 06:10 AM, said:

View PostCait, on Feb 21 2007, 11:15 PM, said:

Earmarks; pork barrel projects; museums that people will never hear of nor visit, even though they're "good for the local economy."  You know, Cait:  pointless crap that wastes hard-earned tax-payer dollars to buy votes for the incumbent.
More specifically, though, what have we spent billions of dollars on in Iraq?  

Pywacket
One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time. - Andre Gide

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health care, Walter Reed Hospital, 2007, Neglect, Veterans

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users